Quiznos Responds To Worst Ad In America Nomination

Among the five aggravating ads duking it out for in the battle royale that is Consumerist’s first ever Worst Ad In America Awards, is the “Singimals” campaign by sandwich shop Quiznos. Surprisingly, the sandwich company actually responded to our request for a comment on their inclusion.

Here’s what a rep for Quiznos had to say:

Quiznos has a history of edgy advertising and is not afraid to make a bold statement. It’s very important for a message like Quiznos tremendous value menu of $5, $4, $3 menu choices to break through. The Singimals Cats commercial attracted millions of fans who continue to enjoy the craveable tastes of Quiznos at a great value.

Rather than embed the clip, we’ll just link the YouTube video and let you decide if you want to watch it.

In the meantime, voting is still open in all 6 WAIA 2010 categories, so if you haven’t had your say yet, here’s your chance:

Remember, the main reason Consumerist can hold a contest like this is because we don’t take outside advertising or corporate sponsorships and we are 100% supported by consumers. Please consider supporting independent blogging. $5 you give us is $5 we don’t have to get from a corporation. CLICK HERE TO DONATE!

Comments

1. ecwis says:

I actually enjoyed the Quizno’s ads.

• DariusC says:

I actually felt embarassed watching them… kind of like where you pause on a kids channel just as your friends or family walk around the corner… Its just awkward.

• hatemonger says:

I actually made a conscious effort to not go to Quiznos after seeing that ad because it pissed me off so much. To each their own, obviously.

• KTXL says:

This quizno’s ad is one of my all time favorites:

Just for that one they ought to get a pass on this poll (but I’m not a huge fan of the cats).

• Michaela says:

I love the sponge monkeys!

I also like the kittens though…maybe I am just strange.

(My least favorite commercials are the Progressive ads with Flo. I just can’t get past her name.)

• Brunette Bookworm says:

I loved the sponge monkeys and I like the kittens one so you are not alone. They are intentionally annoying but are funny.

• asten77 says:

I find that one to be just unspeakably awful. The cats too.

• AntiNorm says:

You enjoyed them…and what exactly had you been smoking?

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Ugh – I hated the ad and would’ve voted for it had it not been for the Staples ad, which I hated worse.

• williamroy says:

I voted for the Quiznos kittens specifically because the commercial is a blatant rip-off of what actually was a funny, low-budget, meme-worthy campaign – the Rather Good creatures featured in the YouTube clip kindly linked a few replies up. It’s a sad reflection of just how desperate and crass large corporations have become in their quest to become more “viral” and fan-having, which they almost universally fail at doing.

• Slave For Turtles says:

I figured this ad was done in conjunction with the Rather Good folks, just like their Sponge Monkey ads. I feel like the only person who squealed with joy when those creepy beasties appeared in Quizno’s commercials.

• Slave For Turtles says:

I like ‘em, too.

2. diasdiem says:

Since I don’t have cable, I’m not as exposed to commercials as most, so I have no idea what that commercial is. I have a hard time imagining a worse Quizno’s commercial than the Spongmonkeys though.

• Flabbergasterisk says:

Ever since they aired that I’ve associated their food with shrieking taxidermied rats with human faces. Marketing geniuses, Quiznos has.

3. JeffM says:

Meh- their bizarre commercials don’t bother me. They bothered me less back in the early 00′s when their sandwiches were a lot better.

4. packy says:

It’s got kittens in it! How can kittens be annoying?

Of course, it’s still not as good as the “Sweet Millions” ad campaign…

• Bremma says:

You’d be surprised at how annoying the kittens are. Granted, it’s less the kittens and more the off tune singing that made it annoying for me.

I did like the old Spongmonkey commerical they had that were made by the people at RatherGood.com

• MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

I loved the VH1 commercials on after whatever “I Love The —” show was on at the time. The Ramones with crowd surfing kittehs was hillarious.

5. Muddie says:

Did they respond to an inquiry about an ad with an ad?

• theycallmeGinger says:

It appears they did. Pretty slick, Quiznos.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

That’s marketing replying. Really bad cases of ‘marketing’ present with an inability to speak common English, and instead reply with Marketing-speak, which only peripherally looks like English.

Let’s see if we can stomp out this scourge called “Marketing”. Have your Marketing department spayed or neutered.

• PTB315 says:

Both of you already beat me to the punch, for identifying the fact that this response read like a form letter, and instead of being a form letter that actually addresses anything relevant, instead just takes the opportunity to attempt and fail at a little marketing magic. Well done.

6. ellmar says:

I’d like to change my vote from Honda to Quiznos. Any company that thinks that ad is defensible deserves to be recognized as The Worst. That song could be used for music torture!

• Conformist138 says:

I still had to go with Staples. Quiznos always does these awful ads, but they are unique and interesting in addition to aggravating. Odd animated things always get wiggle-room, but a human yelling the same thing over and over? Well, I wouldn’t have been as nice as the second fella in the commercial. An involuntary reflex to the repeated yells would have resulted in the screamer no longer being able to scream since his jaw would have to be wired shut.

7. Muddie says:

Did they respond to an inquiry about an ad with an ad?

8. Silverhawk says:

I don’t think a bad/irritating ad that’s aired periodically is really worthy of “worst ad”. Sure, the singing cats ad was awful, but it hasn’t seen tons of airtime, or maybe I just watch/DVR the wrong channels.

It’s when a bad/irritating ad or entire campaign gets constant, hammering airtime across a wide array of channels (I’m looking at the Flo campaign, Progressive!) is when they earn my never ending ire and determination to never do business with them.

9. Hoss says:

A commercial attracted millions of fans? Obviously the marketing dept responded

10. dolemite says:

I didn’t think the ads were bad. They were strange, but they did stick with me just for having weird imagery. Kittens playing instruments, to the music of 3 blind mice. It was illogical. Why weren’t the mice playing the instruments? Did they eat the mice? Why the victorian garb?

At any time however, I can pull the ad up in my head, so it stuck with me, and that means it did its job.

11. qbubbles says:

This isnt nearly as bad as those fucking hamsters with the fucked up eyes.

12. the_Jenkins says:

Those Quiznos commercials are freaking hilarious! Creepy cats and jester clothing ftw!

13. MMD says:

Of course, isn’t the fact that we’re talking about the Quiznos ad the best Quiznos ad of all?

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

hehe, right? i was just thinking their marketing department probably saw the worst ad post and went out for a long celebratory 3 martini lunch and someone got promoted.
      because now, people who had never been exposed to their commercial before would watch it just because of the link on consumerist. and it’s getting talked about. and at least a few people saw the ad, voted for it as the worst …. and then went to quizno’s for lunch

• JayCor says:

Not necessarily. I can hate on that POS ad all day long and still avoid Quiznos like the plague. In fact, seeing that ad via the youtube link kinda makes me want to not go to Quiznos even more than I don’t already do.

• MuffinSangria says:

Only works if the ad makes people want to buy the product. Quiznos commercials, along with just about all the nominees, actually drive me away from their product.

14. guroth says:

I don’t see why the ad should be a nomination for worst ad. While I don’t specifically enjoy the ad, I don’t find it horrible either. Maybe it is because I have a history of watching singing cats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxnAr6pRt0

15. AstroPig7 says:

I’m holding out for a Quzino’s commercial with cats singing “The Humpty Dance”.

16. jwrose says:

Yeah, I didn’t mind the Quizno’s ad as much as the others. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the voice of the cat.

17. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

They shoudl be shot for using the word “cravable.”

18. Kishi says:

Attracted millions of fans? Well, I guess as long as the company believes it, you can spew whatever made up bullshit you like.

19. shoan says:

Off topic and all but i hope we have a best of commercials because the sony playstation Kevin Butler V.P. of whatever the topic is, has been some of the best marketing I have seen to date.

20. mncannon says:

they think this is edgy?? it’s like nails on a chalkboard. also looks like the AV department at the local high school produced it.

• joe23521 says:

I believe that is part of the creative. Quiznos has enough money to make these look “good” if they chose to.

• Michaela says:

I think it is supposed to appeal to a certain target audience.

The commercial is actually not hated by most people I know (college computer science and mathematics majors). Instead, we all hate that stupid car commercial with the hamsters.

21. UnicornMaster says:

I think we’re missing a Category for Worst Musical Performance. I’d like to nominate all of the FreeCreditReport.com commercials with that annoying guy and his band.

22. Arcaeris says:

Is Quiznos still pissing off their franchisees by overcharging them for everything (like meat, cheese, etc)? Maybe they should make a bold statement about that instead of defending these terrible commercials.

23. SagarikaLumos says:

As disturbing as the Michelin roadkill ads are, they can’t even compare to the piggy.

24. YOXIM says:

Aunt Flo needs to go. I can’t fucking stand that woman! I was hoping to vote for her in every single category, but alas I was not able to. And the Capital One Barbarians need to be left alone. Those guys are awesome.

25. Bob Lu says:

Does it matter? Exceptionally bad ad is almost always good ad, from the aspect of getting people’s eyes. And most of the time it is the only goal of an ad.

26. Preyfar says:

I hate that commercial. And yet, it’s so intentionally bad, I absolutely love it.

27. Tongsy says:

Holy crap that is an annoying ad

28. SabreDC says:

I don’t understand why they think their ad is edgy and makes a bold statement. No advertisement makes a “bold” statement. Bold would be saying “Subway, you can kiss our collective asses.” Bold is not having a stupid cat in a jester costume saying something costs $5.

29. valthun says:

Mr Mayhem is awesome

30. dreamfish says:

Being “edgy” and “bold” doesn’t mean it can’t also be annoying.

31. kaplanfx says:

The commercial IS really annoying, however I do remember it and the message of cheap sub sandwiches, so at least it’s doing its job. I don’t particularly like Quiznos, but one of my biggest complaints had been that back at the height of its popularity it cost like 2x what other chain sub joints were charging, so this commercial might actually get me to go out and try Quiznos again (it’s literally a block from where I work).

32. jaredwilliams says:

Through the BS that was that Canned statement that really didn’t refer to why the COMMERCIAL wasn’t annoying/crappy, was this:

“Quiznos has a history of disgusting food and is not afraid to make a “toasted” sandwich in a microwave oven. It’s very important for a message like Quiznos tremendous value menu of $5, $4, $3 menu choices to break through and expand throughout infested gas stations in America.”

33. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I like the “U-543″ commercial more than the Singimals, actually. I think there’s so much more going on that it requires multiple viewings to catch it all.

• dangermike says:

I always figured the cat ads were the result of contractual obligation to Joel Veitch after the Spongemonkey ads bombed a few years ago. And I genuinely curious about this $5,4,3 thing. I don’t really like Quiznos that much but if the prices are that low, I might actually go there. I mean, I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Subway (not after the incident in Redondo where the smell of the “bread” “baking” for the local aerospace lunch rush literally induced projectile vomiting) but Quizno’s, they’re just mediocre. Not poisonous. I would actually eat there for a good price, and if their ads weren’t so miserably designed, I might have actually known about those deals sooner.

(BTW, kudos to the marketing rep who replied to consumerist. I hope the boss notices that one. That should earn a raise while the rest of the marketing team is flogged)

34. zombie_batch says:

Quizno’s bread sucks. Instead of making bold statements they need to make better bread.

35. yagisencho says:

I’m so very grateful that I don’t watch commercial television.

36. Southern says:

I don’t mind the cats, it’s that damn SONG (and whoever is singing it)!!

They can advertise all they want though, I’m still not paying their prices, and I don’t like their sandwiches anyway.

I miss ToGos. :-(

37. slychocodile says:

There is no advertising worse than the Toyota ‘Saved By Zero’ ads from a few years ago, that was the worst advertising campaign of all time and I am still so scarred by it that the kittens seem so much less annoying in comparison (okay the “whee” piggy and the Sienna couple are close)

38. RogueWarrior65 says:

OMFG, was THAT ever an excuse to plug their own plug. Sheesh!
    I find this commercial so annoying that I say “LALALALALALA!!!!” until I punch the Mute button just so it won’t get stuck in my head.

39. Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

“Craveable”. I don’t know if it’s a legitimate word or not. It just sound plain stupid and “marketing-ey”. The next company to use it gets a punch in the neck.

40. UniComp says:

The category “DUO OR GROUP THAT MOST NEEDS TO BE BROKEN UP” seems specifically created for the Toyota Sienna couple.

41. BytheSea says:

That’s not a response, that’s a commercial.

42. crazydavythe1st says:

They’re right. Clicking through to YouTube shows that many, many people enjoy these ads – myself included. Maybe it is just that the typical Consumerist reader isn’t the target demographic?

43. jiubreyn says:

“WoW! That’s a low price!” Still gets my vote. You could tape my eyes open and subject me to a looped compilation video of all of the other nominees and Staples would STILL get my vote without hesitation.

44. mob3000 says:

Ive got to say, I voted for staples as most annoying but I will still go to staples if I need multiple office supply items fast. But for Quiznos, their commercials with the rats that ended with, “they’ve got a pickle bar…” literally made me completely stop going to their stores. A commercial has never had that effect on me before.

45. pot_roast says:

I miss the old spongmonkey ads. I play them on occasion just to annoy my wife because they creep her out. I chortle…

46. sendbillmoney says:

Are their sandwiches lackin’ any meat?