'Pit Boss' Star Calls For Burger King Boycott Over Pit Bull Ad

Even though the Burger King ad featuring a mail man singing about being chewed on by attack dogs hadn’t been out long enough to be a Worst Ad In America 2010 nominee, we’re pretty sure it will have one semi-famous person, Shorty Rossi of Animal Planet’s Pit Boss, backing its nomination next year.

“For a company this large, this huge, with a world wide presence to do such a stereotypical thing made me angry — made me mad!” Rossi is quoted as saying about the ad, in which a mailman sings “Rottweilers and pit bulls–doing the mailman thing,” as fake dogs dangle from his legs.

Rossi and his company Short’s Rescuse have been the subject of two seasons of the Animal Planet reality show Pit Boss.

“I view pit bulls as the most loving dogs,” he says. “They’re nanny dogs for kids, they’re your right hand man, your right hand companion.”

While Rossi has called for a boycott of BK over the ad, the fast food chain isn’t taking this terribly seriously:

In a statement, Burger King told San Diego 6 news the TV commercial “…Is intended to be a humorous parody of the age-old ‘turf-battle’ between mail carriers and dogs….and was not meant to cast a negative light on any particular breed of dogs.”

Reality Show Star Bites Back, Calling for Burger King Boycott [SanDiego6.com]

Comments

1. pop top says:

In before people go on and on about “things they heard” about pitbulls that aren’t true (e.g. locking jaws, human aggressive, etc.).

• chaesar says:

seconded, its not their fault they have become the mistreated dog of choice for lowlifes

• Phineas says:

Ever hear, “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”? We make people register and be held accountable for their guns. I don’t care how safe you are with your gun, it is the lowlifes that make me glad their are regulations on guns.
        Same for dogs. I don’t ever blame a dog, I blame their owner and would like to regulate the owner.

• MustWarnOthers says:

Thirded.

I don’t own a Pit Bull, but the known temperament of Pit Bulls is very loving almost to the point of being goofy, social and gentle. Pit Bulls would show aggressiveness just as often, if not less, than most other breeds. Most of that would be dependent on the environment in which it was raised.

I was out at happy hour with a few friends last week and one of them brought this obnoxious chick that always gets under my skin.

She was going on and on about how she moved into this new apartment and is now engaging in extreme complaining/possible legal action because the neighbor that moved in owns a Pit Bull.

She’s scared because she has a 10 year old daughter, and doesn’t want a Pit Bull anywhere near her child. Your kid has more of a chance falling and smashing its face open than it does of getting attacked by a calm and friendly (which it is) Pit Bull. Ugh ignorance is so frustrating.

• The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

Fourthed?

I owned a pit bull for 10 or 11 years. She died recently from cancer. She never bit anyone her entire life and was the friendliest, most social dog I’ve owned (albeit I’ve only had 6). I’ve had several friends over the years with pit bulls and I’ve never seen any of them be aggressive.

It’s all about the way the dog is raised.

• quijote says:

As a previous commenter pointed out, there are pitbulls that never bite anyone. That isn’t proof that it’s all in how they’re raised. If it were the case that aggression had nothing to do with genes, but only to do with how an animal was raised, then lions, bears, wolves, etc., would be perfectly safe pets, as long as they were raised properly. But that isn’t the case.

• Sparty999 says:

You can say what you want… but when it happens… a pit bull attacks a kid and kills him… it still causes outrage. I love dogs, and have met some great pits… but it’s not worth having the conversation over and aver again with people… especially if you have kids.

• DariusC says:

In before idiots try to say this commercial is hurting a certain type of dog’s reputation…. It is light humor. Nobody is looking at it like “WHAT IS THAT DOG?! ITS SO MEAN AND VICIOUS! OMG DON’T GET THAT DOG! ITS EVIL! SPREAD THE WORD!”

Seriously, that is what these people imply. I am a dog lover and I think these people are PETA whackos.

• spanky says:

Ha ha, nice try.

PETA supports pit bull bans.

Look it up. They advocate the extinction of domestic animals, pit bulls first.

It’s always people who don’t know what they’re talking about who don’t understand the problem with breed profiling.

This lighthearted ‘joke’ is at the expense of dogs who are being discriminated against all over the country. It is because of myths like this that some municipalities are forcibly removing gentle family pets and killing them wholesale, just because of the way they look.

• Thanatos says:

My brother was bit severely on the nose (required extensive plastic surgery) from the most loving mild mannered pittbull ive ever seen she had never bit anyone or even as much as barked at us before. He wasn’t playing with it teasing it hell he wasn’t even near it the dog was in another room he was sitting in the living room with a friend (the dogs owner) watching cartoons the dog calmly walked in the room went over to my brother then just bit him. He basically lived at his friends house growing People say oh its just a bad rap these dogs get but it happens more than people want to realize. If you’ve ever worked with a hunting breed like pointers, or retrievers, the hunting instinct is in the genes more that training and these dogs and other breeds were bread to take down large animals. Yes i understand not all pittbulls are vicious and just waiting to strike but given the proven history of the dogs (and other breeds like them) but why risk it.

• ElizabethD says:

But it doesn’t have to be a pitbull for this to happen. A friend had the sweetest (neutered male) golden retriever in the universe. One day the dog was sitting on the grass near my friend’s young nieces and simply reached over and bit the f*ck out of one of the girls’ faces. She needed several dozen stitches. No provocation; a breed famous for being kid-friendly.

Dogs are animals. They are dumb, instinct-driven, and live in the moment. Any dog can do damage in a split-second and without warning.

And yes, I do comprehend that a pit can do greater damage than many other breeds, all other factors being equal.

• sinfonian94 says:

Bullsh!+

• cmdr.sass says:

The are two facts you ignore:

1. Attacks by pit bulls and rottweilers account for the vast majority of serious dog bite injuries. When a collie bites you, it’s a minor flesh wound. When a pit attacks you, you lose your face.

2. Most attacks by these breeds are by dogs with no prior history of aggression. The dogs just go postal one day and maybe kill a toddler. Meanwhile the bewildered owner says “he was a good dog”.

• bdgbill says:

“When a collie bites you, it’s a minor flesh wound. When a pit attacks you, you lose your face.”

Exactly! I don’t care how well trained and sweet your crocodile is, I don’t want it living in my neighborhood.

• Trick says:

This is the internet so you know this is true! A pitbull bit me in the leg and I lost my face. Literally. I now have no face. My leg is fine now but no face. I wish that damn Collie bit me because then I would still have my face.

• spanky says:

That’s just not true at all.

In my state, Labrador Retrievers alone are responsible for more serious dog bite injuries than all of the “pit bull” breeds and mixes combined. And these are serious injuries that require hospitalization, not nips.

Statistics that claim to show ‘pit bull’ bites to be disproportionately common are almost always based on media reports alone, which are extremely selective and probably incorrectly identify breeds about 80% of the time. (For the record, there is NO national dog bite database that includes breed, so anytime you see national breed statistics, it’s made up.)

• sinfonian94 says:

stats please!!! and sources!!! Good luck finding them!

• pot_roast says:

I’m one of those stats. Nice suburban neighborhood when I was 10, visiting friends. The “sweet, loving” pit bull owned by the quiet family next door (eg: no abusive gangsta owners, no fighting, properly cared for and trained dog) simply decided one day to attack kids. I was victim #2 and I still have the scars on my face from the dog attempting to tear my throat apart.

But still, the pit bull apologists continue to tell everyone that they’re wrong and they’re gentle loving animals and are more loyal than any other dog, and (insert inflated pit bull lover comment here) .. bla bla bla.

I avoid any dog that even looks pit bull like. I don’t care if it’s a mix, I’m not taking another chance.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I would tend to aggree. They’re just unfalteringly loyal. They love their owners more than they love their own existence, and sometimes.. well they get something in their head and think that someone is trying to attack their household by ringing the doorbell.

My boyfriend owned a pitt when he was a boy and it ended up biting the UPS man. He says that if he had known his parents were putting the dog to sleep (they apparently did it covertly while he and his brother were at school) he would’ve run away with the dog.

• bravo369 says:

My 5 month old sheltie puppy was killed by a pitbull that ran out of someone’s yard. The pitbull was also ‘mildmannered’ and ‘loving’ according to the owner. I don’t care what anyone says, even a well mannered pitbull is capable of killing someone or something. After our incident, I have heard numerous stories from family and friends of dog attacks and guess what..it always involved a pitbull or a rottweiler. Fact is that it is a dangerous dog.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

There’s also a thing called confirmation bias. You will only remember/trust things/people that back up your own decision. You know how dangerous Huskies are? I knew one that bit three different kids, but they were family, so reports were never filed.

• chargernj says:

Pitbulls are one of the most numerous breed of dog out there so you will find a disproportionate number of pitbull stories. Any dog can turn violent given the wrong circumstance.

• Cantras says:

“They’re dangerous because when they get to be about 5 years old their brain outgrows their skull and they go crazy” — This was told to me as absolute truth and yet I’ve never heard anyone else use that. It makes me really wonder where the people who told me got it from.

• Ichabod says:

Cocker Spaniels are the number one biter, pit bulls not so much.

• Skankingmike says:

It’s sad but most people have not fucking clue what a real pit bull terrior looks like.

They’re cute and sweet.

2. jaroth says:

I mean really? He says Rottweiler as well. I’m sure the Pit Bull’s feelings aren’t hurt.

3. injekted says:

“the ad, in which a mailman sings … as fake dogs dangle from his legs.”

Those dogs don’t look very fake to me.

4. Reading Rainbow says:

I’m offended for my mailman. He’s shown as not delivering things for the day like checks and a subpoena because he wants to eat breakfast. How dare BK show something like that!!

• ellmar says:

I’m offended for muscle-shirt wearing, lawn-chair-sitting guys called “Icepick” who are unfairly depicted as subpoena avoiding lowlifes. Oh, wait…

• ThinkerTDM says:

I’m offended by showing women in showers who don’t get all mad and call the cops then you open the curtain!

5. chaesar says:

they should’ve used dachshunds, that’d be funnier

• TWSS says:

And more realistic, as well.

• JulesNoctambule says:

And true to life! Our postman is actually terrified of my neighbour’s mental dachshund; she’ll try to launch herself through the screen door whenever he comes by, while the pit next door just tries to get him to play.

• chaesar says:

it’s that German lineage

• Phineas says:

How long would the mailman have to get help before a pit, if it so decided to go nuts, tried to maul him?
        “Hey there buddy… uh… hey! Somebody hel-” DEAD.
        How about the same scenario with a dachshund?
        “Hey there buddy… uh… why are you snarling like that and running in my direction? Oh well. I guess I’ll just continue on my way. Dum-de-dum. I’ll just put my letters in this box. Hmmm… I should cross the street here… Letters in this box… HEY. Ow! That really smarts! Uhhh… letters go in this box… SOMEBODY COME GET THEIR DOG BEFORE HE MAKES IT THROUGH MY RAYON SOCKS! Crossing the street again. Letters in this box… ‘I can’t fight this feeling anymore/I’ve forgotten what I started fighting for/it’s time to pull the ship ashore/and throw away the oars for-‘ OW! That is starting to weep a little. Dang little dogs. Well, I’m almost back at work. I wonder what the spouse has for dinne-” Hit by a bus and DEAD.

• RStormgull says:

Much funnier. I have two long-haired Dachshunds, they’d just lick the mail carrier. Funny though, everything I hear about the short-haired variety is bad. Maybe the long hair make mine hippie doxies? Very mellow.

6. snarkysniff says:

It would be more likely a chihuahua doing this than a pit imo. I dont own any pits or staffys but I hate people putting them in this situation. I know several that are very loving dogs.

7. aja175 says:

Oh Noes! They portrayed dogs doing what dogs do! Ban the commercial!

really?

8. Anonymously says:

“and was not meant to cast a negative light on any particular breed of dogs.”

How can they even justify that statement? They called the dogs out by breed.

9. yulingo says:

…Not to mention that it’s not a great ad in the first place. I didn’t really find it that amazing and the song sounded cheesy.

But I haven’t eaten at Burger King in forever, so I’ll just continue on my usual course of not patronizing them.

10. klippies says:

Maybe there is some truth in the ad.
    From dogbitelaw.com:
    The deadliest dogs
    Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author’s observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed–and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton’s opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, “Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all.”

• ElizabethD says:

Well, duh. The study you cite doesn’t include ALL dog bites; just ones that resulted in “serious injury.” Obviously a larger dog with a stronger jaw and bigger teeth will do more damage when it bites than a chihuahua (to mention just one VERY bitey/nippy small breed).

Be sure to read the new book about the fates of Michael VIck’s pitbulls. All but a handful were successfully rehabilitated and are now family pets, service dogs, and therapy dogs.

• klippies says:

I am slightly more worried about a fatal mauling than a nip on the ankle. That is why
        i said “some truth”

• trey says:

yep, you just changed my mind… here i was worried that if i was attacked by a pit bull i might be killed, but since you informed me about those aggressive chihuahua’s i will be on the lookout for the real threat… yo quiero taco bell.

keep the pit bulls, kill the chihuahua’s and we can all be safer.

• klippies says:

Actually you are wrong abou the chiauhua. From Dogbit .com:
        Dogs predominantly of chihuahua, golden retriever, labrador retriever, poodle, Scottish terrier, and Shetland sheepdog breeds were more common among nonbiting than among the biting dogs. None of the cases and only one control dog was a pit bull terrier.
        Dogs predominantly of German shepherd, chow chow, collie and akita breeds were substantially more frequent among biting than nonbiting dogs. The total numbers of dogs mainly collie (n=9) and akita (n=5) breeds were small compared to the total numbers of German shepherd (n=47) and chow chows (n=40).

• jvanbrecht says:

Exactly, I have a great dane.. even when playing around and he is gnawing on my arms, it hurts, he is strong, and I have no doubt that if I was ever threatened (or my wife), my usually docile great dane could inflict serious damage, possibly more so then a rotty or a pit, to whomever was determined as the threat.

Also, if you want mean, my dalmatian, he is a rescue and has some issues which I recognize, and have been trying to train out of him, but knowing the issues I take extra precautions around adults. He absolutely loves children, but is terrified of tall men with hats and will generally attack them and then try to run away out of fear. Far worse then any pit I have come across.

• Sian says:

A rescue dalmatian? Man, hats off to you (no pun intended) spotties are a bit neurotic at best, dealing with one from an abusive history takes some doing.

• Azuaron says:

Yeah, that’s what people seem to ignore. If you get bit by a golden retriever, the worst that happens is you have a small wound. Pit bulls and rottweilers are STRONG and have large mouths, so they do some real damage. They were specifically bred for that kind of thing, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise.

As always, though, the temperament of the dog has little to do with breed and almost everything to do with environment. That being said, even a “playful nip” from a pit bull or rottweiler can cause some serious damage.

• DocOtter says:

Tell that to Isabelle Dinoire, who had to get a face transplant after a Labrador ripped half her face off.

• ZanDPY says:

And if you bring the “Bite and shake ’till it’s dead” terrier instincts into play it’s a little more obvious why a pitbull bite can do so much damage in the first place. (Yep, pitbulls are actually terriers.) A Jack Russel Terrier could do just as much damage if they were the size of a pit.

• chargernj says:

I’m glad you brought that up. You are correct in thinking that pitbulls were bred for biting or more accurately fighting. But they were also bred specifically to be docile towards humans while being aggressive towards dogs.

This was so they could be trusted not to turn on the handlers who were usually in the pit alongside the dogs during a fight.

Point being, that a properly raised pittbull loves people.

• spanky says:

What the hell makes you think that?

I know three people who have been very seriously injured by retrievers–two by a Lab and one by Goldens.

One little boy bitten by the Lab had multiple bite wounds and over a dozen stitches to the back of his head. The second wasn’t so lucky, and was bitten several times in the face and chest, including serious ripping wounds that tore off large portions of his face. His ear was dangling by a little thread of tissue, and he nearly died.

The woman attacked by the Goldens was knocked to the ground and received multiple bites that left her permanently disabled, and she had to retrain for a new career because she could no longer do field work.

And statistics bear this out. Retrievers are responsible for a large percentage of serious bite injuries in the US. Labs alone are responsible for far more hospitalizations in my state than all pit bull breeds combined.

And that’s not even counting those Labs that are identified as “pit bulls” by the media, either:

• JennyDB says:

RIDICULOUS. My dad was bitten terribly by our “sweet and loving” Golden Retriever seemingly out of nowhere. The dog went for his face and he blocked it with his arm but needed 17 stitches. Is that what you call a small wound?

• chaesar says:
    • Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That’s probably why homeowner’s insurance companies ask what breeds of dogs you own.

• webweazel says:

And that is why our white doberman “became” a Weimaraner.
        But we didn’t worry about her anyway. She had the equivalent I.Q. of a houseplant, and was a bed lizard who wanted to lay in front of the fan and didn’t like to be outdoors.

11. ElizabethD says:

Love Shorty. Love pitbulls. (Own a mix.) Hate stereotyping. Also, a collie or other breed with strong herding instincts would be more likely to be biting a mailman’s butt.

12. syzygy says:

Uh oh, the Pit Boss is mad. Look out everyone!

Seriously? Good work on the rescues. Stick to what you know, Mr. Boss. And get a sense of humor, for pet’s sake.

13. cunnij says:

that pit bull guy seems really short and that commercial was top quality – what was that a sony handycam in front of a tube television?

14. DerangedHermit says:

I am eagerly awaiting BK’s next commercial with midgets attacking people’s legs.

15. Daverson says:

I love pit bulls; I have two of them. They’re candyasses, not badasses.

• jvanbrecht says:

You want Candyass.. heh.. my Great Dane went running like crazy away from… wait for it.. a tiny frog that jumped in front of him.. he then ran in circles around it parking like mad.. everytime the frog moved he would run away again and then back… its funny as hell.

16. HoJu says:

This whole thing gets a resounding “meh” from me.

17. kamiikoneko says:

Idiot woman. People should stop running their mouth and look at the facts. 4 years of studying animal neurology and psychology at university qualifies me to say that certain breeds of dog are PRE-DISPOSED to all kinds of mental stereotypes. Violence, temper, herding instinct, guarding instinct, etc etc. Downright unpredictable behaviour. Psychosis.

Wake up people. Pitbulls are more dangerous on average, the end.

Also dalmations are dicks.

• HoJu says:

LOL at Dalmations are dicks. :)

• chaesar says:

no joke, they have been known to kill children and babies strictly out of jealousy (you own the dog then you have a kid, the kid gets all your attention)

• snarkysniff says:

Dalmatians are just stupid and thats where their attacks come from.

• jvanbrecht says:

Bah, my dalmatian is far from stupid.. …. he is a dick though :P He has cat smarts… all the way to plotting my death in my sleep… and he loves kids, they are tasty with ketchup… kidding, he does love kids though, its tall men with hats he is not so fond of, he is a rescue though, and has issues.

18. Tim in Wyoming says:

I have never personally seen an aggressive pit pull. I have a pit bull dog myself, wouldn’t trade her in for anything. She is the sweetest dog you will ever meet and just wants to play with anyone and anything.

Any dog can be trained to do anything. A bad pit bull is a direct result of a bad owner.

• Why is this on Consumerist? says:

Right, and there are a lot of bad owners out there, which translates into a lot of bad pit bulls, which translates into the majority of serious bites being inflicted by pit bulls, rottweilers, etc, like the study said. The dogs may be perfectly harmless and innocent if raised correctly, but that’s irrelevant. If people who want a vicious dog would rather raise a vicious pit bull than, say, a vicious golden retriever or chihuahua, then we’re going to have a lot of vicious pit bulls out there. Doesn’t mean it’s the pit bulls’ fault.

• Reading Rainbow says:

I think you’re missing the point. Yes the owner has the majority effect on the dog. However, given the SAME effect on a dog, pitbulls are going to be MORE LIKELY to be violently aggressive than some other dogs.

This doesn’t mean ALL putbulls are going to be, it’s a potential predisposition.

• jvanbrecht says:

No, we do get the point, however, the pit is not likely to be any more violent then any other dog in the same situation. They are however going to do significantly more damage simply due to the fact that a pit has alot more strength then say a poodle.. speaking of which, are also vicious dogs.

• Reading Rainbow says:

The problem here is both points are pure conjecture. I can’t prove pitbulls are more aggressive under the same upbringing, you can’t prove they aren’t (show me more than one study – I can make a study say anything I want).

I will point out that for things like a border collie or a sheltie people are much happier in calling them “herding” dogs and people take that without issue or question. If some dogs can be predisposed to being herding dogs some dogs can also be predisposed to be more aggressive.

• The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

Also doesn’t mean we should get rid of pit bulls. If you completely take all the ‘worst players’ out of the picture, then those bad owners will just get some other breed of dog and gradually build it a bad reputation.

• aloria says:

I’d rather be around a poorly treated chihuahua than a poorly treated pit bull. I know which one I could handle when the chips are down.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

“I have never personally seen an aggressive pit pull.”

You must live in a much nicer neighborhood than me. While there are definitely good owner out there (my brother in law is one), the very, very bad pit bull owners are incredibly visible in many areas.

19. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

This why I make my own dogs at home.

20. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

Maybe it was a clever reference to the 10930 bronze statue by Vigeland, http://www.vigeland.museum.no/en/vigeland-park/bridge “Man Chasing Four Geniuses.”

21. "I Like Potatoes" says:

I think the real issue here is that the new Burger King breakfast tastes bad. I got the breakfast platter to share with my daughter (it’s got the same items as the McDonald’s platter) and I will never make that mistake again. The pancakes were rubbery, the eggs were chewy, and the sausage was even chewier. The hash rounds were the only decent part. I mean, McDonald’s isn’t exactly gourmet fare, but at least it resembles real food.

22. dolemite says:

There’s some truth to what he says. The dogs get cast in a negative light by the media. How many times do you hear “mailman bitten by a beagle” or “child bit by chihuahua”? Not often, but I guarantee it happens as much as people being bit by rottweilers and pit bulls.

It’s one of the popular media’s “darlings”. Any story involving a certain breed biting/maiming someone, a pretty young white girl disappearing, a pedophile of any kind will be news story #1. Makes people think we have more occurance of such things, but in reality, we just have more media coverage for the same number of things that have always been there.

23. aloria says:

My thought on the whole pitbull/rottie/etc controversy is this: since any idiot can become a pet owner, it’s still a case of giving a moron an uzi vs a slingshot. I’ve been viciously attacked by a yorkie and pinned down by a well-meaning rottweiler who wanted to play. In the former event, I simply picked the little jerk up and locked him in the bathroom. In the latter, I was pinned to the floor until her owner came back into the room and pulled her off me.

Unless I know the owner well, I’m going to be super cautious around ANY big dog.

24. bdgbill says:

Pit Bulls earned their reputation by killing and maiming humans (very often children). I think fans of the breed have bigger issues to deal with than a Burger King commercial.

• jvanbrecht says:

Thats sort of the point. One of the issues with the breed is it’s image, perpetuating that image does nothing but add to peoples fears about an entire breed, of which only a small tiny percentage are actually involved in attacks. The breed however is a powerful, so when an attack occurs, more damage, maiming and sometimes death can occur. You want a dog with a vicious reputation, little dogs, most of them are mean and vicious, they just do not have the capabilities that larger breeds have.

• bdgbill says:

My point was that people should be fearful of this breed since it has a well deserved and well documented history of killing and seriously injuring people.

If supporters of the breed want to change improve it’s reputation, they should work to reduce said killing and injuring rather than complain about a Burger King ad.

25. SecretAgentWoman says:

I was at a dog park with my teeny yorkie/chihuahua mix. There was a huge, muscular, beautiful pit bull male as calm and playful as can be. It was MY dog doing some growling and grandstanding to the confused and befuddled pit bull. Everyone was laughing.

• AlphaLackey says:

Thankfully the Pit Bull in question wasn’t feeling very peckish, or else I’d imagine a lot less laughing going on!

26. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

My question is what the hell do mailmen have to do with Burger King?

27. CookiePuss says:

I think your sense of humor is running a bit short Mr Rossi.

And the irony of naming one of the pits Hercules isn’t helping the breeds image either. Wasn’t Hercules known as being a monster slayer, cutting off heads and such? Maybe you should think about naming him Fluffy or Tinkerbell? :P

28. sardonicbastard says:

Looks like a publicity stunt for his “Animal Planet” show to me.

29. zegota says:

My cousin had two pitbulls. He came home one day, and one of them had eaten the other one. Now he only has one pitbull.

“They’re nanny dogs for kids…”

Holy Fucking Shit, NO

• ElizabethD says:

That’s a pack/alpha issue and is not peculiar to the pitbull breed. Some years back, we adopted a second female pointer from a shelter. Things with our first pointer seemed to be going OK vis-a-vis the new addition. But one day we came home from work and apparently our “girls” had decided to determine which was the top dog. I am not kidding that our kitchen was covered from floor to halfway up several walls and cabinets with BLOOD. Their superificial wounds were numerous; fortunately, both lived and never fought each other again. One of them clearly emerged as pack leader.
      But yeah, when two pits fight and enter the “red zone,” as Dog Whisperer Cesar Milan calls it (mindless fury, basically), one may end up killing the other. They come equipped with the hardware for that outcome. :-(

30. Yerzriknot says:

The butthurt in those youtube comments is palpable.

31. donkeydonkeypublicbathroom says:

Funny enough, if pit bulls weren’t stereotyped as being vicious killers, Shorty Rossi wouldn’t have a show on Animal Planet because no one would give a crap. He should be thanking Burger King for their commercial!

32. biggeek says:

Euthanize all Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes and and criminalize owning and breeding them.

I’m tired, tired, tired of the endless preachy whining by those deluded animal rescuers. These are dangerous animals that do no belong in the home.

• crunchberries says:

Well, I’m tired of the endless anti-pitbull whining and frothing by you and other people on this site. By your logic, I should start euthanizing you for being so spectacularly ignorant.

• spanky says:

I’m tired of people who have such strong emotional opinions on subjects they don’t know anything about.

Pit bull isn’t even a specific breed of dog. Depending on who you talk to, the term applies to anywhere from one to thirty discrete dog breeds, or mixes thereof. And there is no reliable way to accurately identify dog breed except in cases of dogs that come from known purebred bloodlines that are recognized by specific kennel clubs.

It’s people like you who are responsible when cities like Denver pass stupid, hysterical laws banning ‘pit bulls,’ then kill innocent family dogs simply because they can’t articulate what a ‘pit bull’ even is. It is simply not safe to have a medium sized, short haired dog in Denver at all at this point.

And you know what else happens when people like you help pass dumb laws like that? Serious dog bite injuries go UP. Denver is the only county in Colorado that is classified by the CDC as high risk for dog bite injuries. Their rate for serious dog attacks that send people to hospitals is THREE TIMES that of the second biggest county in the state, which has no breed bans.

If you actually cared about lowering the incidence of dog bites, you’d learn something about it rather than just swallowing the alarmist myths you’ve been spoon fed by stupid sensationalist media stories.

33. FrugalFreak says:

They don’t have a clean record either. I have known 2 people to get mangled by pit bulls. I don’t ever recall hearing about a lab chewing someones face off. Sorry if you find it offensive because they are your dogs of choice, but the history of aggression is not baseless.

34. Mphone says:

He is just mad because he is short. Haters gonna hate.

35. jennyh says:

As if Pit Bulls (and Rotweilers) don’t get enough negative attention thanks to the press, but now Burger King has to go and do this. As a Pit Bull owner, this makes me angry. To the person who suggested they should use a daschund, that would be more accurate. I also have a mini daschund, and she is mean. She tries to bite eveyone. My pit bull won’t even bark at people.

36. pyrobryan says:

Grow up, Shorty. No pun intended. You’re a freakin’ talent manager. I figured you’d have thicker skin than that. It’s a joke. The old “dog bites mailman” joke. Would you be crying if it was a daschund or poodle?