Phillies Fans: Order Food Delivery From Your Seat With iPhone App

For the remaining three home games at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, Phillies fans will be able to get food without having to take a break from watching the greatest team in baseball.

The stadium is the site of a pilot program that will integrate food ordering into MLB Advanced Media’s existing ‘At Bat’ iPhone app.

From MLB.com:

The food-ordering technology, which is being used at a Major League ballpark for the first time, allows the application to verify a fan is within the stadium and then choose from a number of pre-selected meals in the pilot program. Fans can make their purchase with a credit card, and after providing their seat information, their food order will be delivered. The plan is for delivery in 30 minutes or less. But in limited tests, the actual time has been closer to half that.

Among the pre-selected meals available to users are cheesesteaks, Tony Luke’s roasted pork, Bull’s BBQ’s turkey sandwich, Planet Hoagie’s Italian hoagie and the Eastern Shore crab cake sandwich. Water and soda are also available, though it’s unclear if you’d be allowed to order beer with the app.

The developers hope to have everything worked out by next year so that any stadium can hope to be as awesome as Citizens Bank Park.

Phillies, MLBAM unveil app-etizing food concept [MLB.com]

Comments

1. SteveZim1017 says:

Phinally, some news coming for us here in philly that doesnt involve puking phans or phlipped cars.

I see the cheesesteaks and crab fries are both missing from the list. probably safer that way if you only want a phew people to test it out phirst.

oh and go phils!!

2. perkonkrusts says:

But where’s the App that boos Santa for me?

3. MeOhMy says:

What they don’t tell you is that the “delivery mechanism” is the Phanatic shooting your order at you from the hot dog cannon….and fumbles/interceptions are “fair game.”

4. DriverB says:

This is awesome. Imagine not having to wait in those crazy lines for your snacks!

But, why is there no hotdog on the list??? A hotdog is an essential part of watching a baseball game.

(Maybe it would be too popular?)

• Grasshopper says:

They’re only offering “upscale” foods, and they are limiting the delivered food choices to avoid cannibalizing sales from the regular food hawkers that already walk the aisles.

• The Marionette says:

Well it’s probably because there’s already the vendors that walk up and down the isles selling hotdogs. Also because it would seem almost like a waste of resources to include an extremely common item, they’re just freeing up the room for other foods. All in all though it’s a pretty good idea. There are some restaurants around here that are thinking of adding something like that to their service. If you have the app you can go in, be seated and then choose to either order from your phone, or the menu.

5. NotEd says:

Mmmmmm….. crab cake sandwish.

• NotEd says:

Can I get that app on my wife’s iPhone and get them to send me one in Illinois?

I’ll even go to a stadium.

I miss seafood.

6. darklighter says:

Smart test market for MLB. I mean, if even your dumbest users can use it, then it should work for everybody, right?

7. El_Fez says:

Safeco Field had that a couple of years ago, but over you Nintendo DS. Not surprising actually, since Nintendo owns the Mariners.

8. framitz says:

Of course the folks who could most benefit from exercise will likely be the ‘biggest’ customers.

9. peebozi says:

can i now urinate in my pants, or on the phan in front of me, so i don’t have to miss one second of this action packed sport?

10. jessjj347 says:

I will be trying this Sunday. Anyone want a report back? Consumerist?

11. Dover says:

“verify a fan is within the stadium”

So you have to attend the game to order food for random folks. Which is probably more fun, anyway, since you’d be there to see it.

• Magspie says:

It sounds like you have to pay with a credit card on your phone ahead of time. You can play that prank on me if you want.

12. u1itn0w2day says:

Hmmm…overpriced tickets,food,beverages. Now the tech head gets to use the I Phone for something usefull like keeping their seat warm. Gee I wonder who MLB’s target demographic is.

13. smartmuffin says:

This actually sounds like a great idea to me. The inefficiencies involved at stadium concessions are ridiculous. On the one hand, you have vendors climbing up the steps screaming at you to buy one specific overpriced thing that maybe three or four out of hundreds actually want. Meanwhile, to purchase the one specific thing you actually do want, you have to get up, fight crowds of people, locate the particular concession stand that sells what you want, stand in line, and by the time you get back to your seat, if you have the same luck I do, you just missed two home runs and the manager getting thrown out of the game for spitting on the umpire’s shoes.

I’d gladly pay an additional $2 delivery fee for someone to bring me my food to my seat at a sporting event. Totally worth it.

14. SerenityDan says:

Why only iPhone? More people now have awesome Android phones over iPhones. Media seems to igore that becasue the iPhone sounds like it sells more becasue you are looking at the sales of just 1 handset, but Andoid has more phones then I can count now and is 2nd in install base only to nokia.

15. BytheSea says:

Ooooo. We need this in movie theaters. Also a “call usher” to tattle on shrieking children/loud teenagers/talkers.