Got Until 9/27 To Cancel Sprint Without Fee

You have until September 27th to cancel your Sprint contract without early termination fee. Sprint recently made it so employer discounts don’t apply beyond the first two lines on the account. Because this is a material change in the service contract, you can cancel the contract without penalty.

The Explainthefee blog checked it out and a Sprint executive analyst told them, “effective August 27, 2010, Sprint will no longer apply the Nationwide Volume Pricing (NVP) discount to the Monthly Recurring Charge for lines on a shared service plan beyond the first two lines of service… Because of this change, our customers are eligible to terminate the service on their account without penalty through September 27, 2010.”

Our tipster notes that you should make sure to, “ask them to mark the contract “Fulfilled” for the lines of service under contract, since a discount is no longer applied as signed into your contract.”

Cancel your Sprint contract without paying an ETF! [Explainthefee] (Thanks to TLCWACKY!)

PREVIOUSLY
Sprint Hikes Prices By Dumping Discounts
Get Sprint To Credit You For The Discount They’re Taking Away

Comments

1. DariusC says:

WILL DO THIS! Thanks! This means I can stop service at any time if my budget falls through!

2. egoods says:

I wonder if I can do this to bale out of my aircard contract. It was awesome when I was traveling, but I haven’t used it in 6 friggen months.

• Crackpot says:

Probably not, as discounts are not usually applied for data plans. However, you *may* be able to do it due to a recent change in data plans: they are removing all unlimited 3G plans and converting them to a 5GB cap, unless you convert to 4G service. Assuming it’s available in your area, of course – it’s pretty limited right now, but 4G service is unlimited if you have access to it. I had the unlimited 3G plan, and they said they were converting it to the 5GB cap, so I asked them to remove the contract and they did. Account Services may be only folks who can, though; I know the business department couldn’t, and normal customer service is… well, Sprint customer service. ;-)

3. myCatCracksMeUp says:

It seems that this only applies to people who have “the Nationwide Volume Pricing (NVP) discount (applied) to the Monthly Recurring Charge for lines on a shared service plan beyond the first two lines of service”

I know my son would like to cancel Sprint since he moved from an area with great Sprint coverage to an area with lousy Sprint coverage. They say have have service in the area so they won’t let him quit without paying the ETF.

4. howie_in_az says:

Meh, just as I was about to move to Sprint and get an EVO…

• GearheadGeek says:

Unless you’re expecting a corporate discount from Sprint and planning to have 3 or more lines on a family plan, this doesn’t affect you at all.

5. youbastid says:

This is a little misleading. It’ll be tough to convince Sprint that this adversely affects me since I don’t receive an employer discount AND I don’t have multiple lines of service.

6. xamarshahx says:

i’ve heard mixed stories about this, has anyone cancelled all of their lines successfully?

7. chemmy says:

Please let me know when I can cancel with Verizon…

8. Mike says:

This actually affects me, I will pay $10 a month more. But that brings my family plan of 3 smart phones, unlimited everything to about $110 a month. I went to all the other phone carriers and no body could give me all that for any cheaper, so I stuck with Sprint. I might make the rounds one more time just to see if there are any deals out there.

9. leprechaunshawn says:

Does this apply to those of us who do not have more than two lines? My wife and I are on the Everything Data Plan and we get a 10% discount through our employer on the $129.99 that is the base rate of our plan. I guess I could make try to make the argument that I was going to add a third line for my step daughter but since the discount wouldn’t apply to the additional $19.99 per month, I am being materially affected.

10. Crackpot says:

11. Crackpot says:

12. Crackpot says:

I can confirm that this works, and that you do NOT need to actually cancel; you can simply ask that the contract be removed from the affected lines. I have 5 active lines with Sprint – 4 of them were under contract, 2 of them with recent (less than 2 months ago) discounted equipment purchases. I just successfully removed the contract from all 4 lines that had one. Customer Service CANNOT process this request; ask to be transferred to Account Services. Also, this will NOT affect customers who have 2 lines or less, as they aren’t affected by this change. (Your costs only go up if you have more than two lines of service because the discount is only removed from those additional lines – the discount still applies to the primary line, and the second line doesn’t have an additional cost; it’s included in your base monthly charge.)

• rcsfca says:

Can you described what you said in order to get them to fulfill your contract. I called and they told me that they can only cancel my contract.

• Crackpot says:

I told them that I was concerned about the additional cost, and wasn’t sure I could afford to stay with Sprint. However, I was “generally very happy with their service, and didn’t *want* to leave.” I also said I needed some time to do the research necessary to make the decision of whether or not to stay. However, due to the impending deadline, I had no choice but to ask them to release me from my contract, so that it would even be possible. I stressed several times that I didn’t want to leave; that this was just a precautionary step, and that I was only taking it because Sprint made the decision without my input. I also made sure that I didn’t *sound* like I knew much about the whole “material change in the contract” bit – just that they had changed the terms of our agreement, and it wasn’t what I had agreed to. Then, back to “not wanting to leave”, “Are there any alternatives?”, etc. In general, be a happy customer, but just a little concerned about the issue, and wanting to make sure you get taken care of. BE NICE. Start the conversation off light, find some common ground, and give the representative a reason to want to help you. Being disgruntled or rude does the opposite of helping. And remember: if you’re angry or annoyed, it’ll come across when you speak. Don’t even bother calling if that’s how you’re going to respond to adversity.

For discussion’s sake, I actually have no intention of leaving sprint. I just like having the negotiating power that having no contract gives me. I’ve found that Sprint is much more likely to expend effort trying to resolve problems when I don’t have a contract and thus, they’re actually at a more significant risk of losing me as a customer. Don’t get me wrong: with five lines, my bill goes up by about $20-25 because of this, and that sucks. But Sprint is still cheaper than most other carriers, and while their (lack of) customer service is the worst in the industry, I’ve found that their voice quality and data speed and reliability are better than the competition in multiple states, bar none. (Not only from my own experience, but also from studies that have been done on this – particularly data speed and consistency.) Of course, knowing how Sprint does things, and what steps to take when a problem arises, also helps. ;-)

13. superfluousK says:

It’s never AT&T anymore. Oh well, 4 more months.

14. rcsfca says:

I just called sprint spoke to customer service – they transferred me to account services. They guy I spoke to said that he couldn’t mark my contract as fulfilled. He did say however though that I can go ahead and fully cancel my account without an ETF.

• xamarshahx says:

i got the same response, he said you can port out and they wouldn’t charge an ETF, which I might actually do.

15. lousyshot says:

Thanks for the info. I just called Sprint, customer service cant do nothing, just ask to be transferred to account services. He did tell me I could cancel the 3-5 lines without an ETF but not the first 2 lines. He said he couldn’t mark the contracts as ‘Fullfilled’ but he did cut all the lines contract terms in half (22months to 11 months, 12 months to 6months, etc), and gave me a $10/month credit for 12 months. I was probably going to stay anyways so I accepted. Just a reference for anyone else trying to call, this is what I got. Be polite and persistant.

16. angelv2003 says:

I just called, and they didnt remove the contract but they told me that i could cancel and they would waive the ETF. Also, they gave me a 129.99 one time credit, after i asked them if ther was anything that they could do.
    Wasn’t expecting that.

17. MunkyBoi says:

No success. I’m enrolled in a NVP discount plan, using 4 lines. I called them the week before the deadline, and was told that they’d charge me early termination fees on ALL lines if I decided to cancel. They said that there was nothing that could be done to accomodate me – even though the shift in pricing is going to cost me another $210 by the time my contract is up. They actually had the nerve to tell me to take the issue up with my employer – said THEY were the ones that renegotiated the discounts, and that Sprint had no responsibility in the matter. When I asked to escalate the call, the supervisor wouldn’t come on. I have a feeling this is no over…