MasterCard: Walmart Should Not Have Demanded ID For Purchase

A couple weeks back, we brought you the story of Michael, a Walmart customer who was told it was company policy to require a photo ID on all credit card purchases over $100, even though that appears to be in violation of MasterCard’s merchant agreement. After trying to get someone at MasterCard to clarify/confirm their stance on ID-checking, Michael finally got the reply he was looking for.

I emailed several executives, including General Counsel at WalMart, MasterCard and Citicards (as that is who my MasterCard is through). It took some time to get a response. At one point, I noticed on my linkedin page that General Counsel of Walmart had recently viewed my profile. I immediately shot off another email saying while I appreciate that GC of Walmart took the time to check my LinkedIn profile, I would much more appreciate an immediate response to my inquiry.

GC of Walmart called my home (but I was at work) and said that they were investigating and would get back to me. I called both MasterCard and Citicards, but not surprisingly, the customer reps were clueless. I received the attached MasterCard response [see below], which I appreciated since it confirms my belief that Walmart was in error.

I spoke with GC of Walmart on Monday, and he too confirmed the error and said that the GM of the store was contacted and told to cease this behavior and retrain all cashiers. My wife was in the store Tuesday and purchased over $100 of stuff again but her ID was not requested.

Good thing he didn’t try to use his Discover card, because the credit card company recently told Consumerist that “It’s at the merchant’s discretion to request ID.”

walmartletter.png

Comments

1. jason in boston says:

Just show your papers mkay?

Seriously, this was a good outcome. I am glad that the GC from Walmart and MasterCard actually got back to you. This might be the type of thing that actually forces Walmart to change their training to follow the contract that they signed with MasterCard. Showing ID does not help out the consumer one bit. It only helps the business.

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

How does it help the business? (Not being confrontational, just curious).

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

The consumer is not liable for fraudulent use of their card – but the store will lose their revenue if the card is fraudulently used and there is a charge-back.

Also, when the store demands ID and the criminal using your card presents them one, that identifies them as you, now the store has “proof” that you were the one there using your card. Which can make it considerably harder for you to contest the charge – because they checked your ID. Anyone who thinks it’s any big deal to fake an ID should be interested in buying a bridge I have to sell… Because of that, forcing a customer to provide ID is actually an anti-consumer action, because of the “positive evidence” it gives that you actually were the one making that purchase.

Also, this is compounded infinitely by people who are foolish enough to believe writing “SEE ID” on the back of their cards is somehow a good idea – now the thief, who has your card and a fake ID, doesn’t even have to learn to fake your signature.

So, requiring ID does benefit the retailer – but there’s no upside, and only downside, for the consumer.

• Griking says:

And God forbid we spend a few seconds of our busy lives to help out a business.

• Peacock (Now In Extra Crispy) says:

Why is it incumbent upon me, the consumer, to help out a business? The business should be helping out ME, by providing a service for which I am willing to pay.

• Griking says:

You see this is what’s wrong with people today. It’s all about “me, me, me” and how we can work the system to take advantage of the man. You weren’t being asked to do anything that would have taken more than a few seconds of your time but of course that’s asking too much. The answer to your question though is because sometimes reasonable people do things to help others.

• humphrmi says:

How does showing your ID help the business, seriously? “Fraud prevention”? Let me guess, you don’t work in a security-related field. Little laminated pieces of paper and plastic don’t prevent fraud. In fact, little laminated pieces of paper and plastic are easier to obtain that stolen credit cards, and legitimate laminated pieces of paper and plastic contain personal data that can be used to commit fraud if given out willy-nilly. Maybe they might have helped Sheriff Taylor track down the town’s ne’re-do-well, and if Opie and Andy every run a Wal-Mart, I’ll be sure to “help” them stop fraud. If they can come up with a better argument that “oh, let’s all help our neighbors!”

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

At the expense of assuming more risk for yourself? See my original reply below.

2. Dover says:

I got a similar letter from Visa regarding a similar experience. The difference is that nothing has changed and the store’s management insists that they have the right.

• mischlep says:

Visa’s merchant agreement basically says that the merchant can ask, but it cannot be a condition of making the purchase. In other words, you can say “no.”

3. Tim in Wyoming says:

I had a discussion at Lowes the other day regarding this. I used my Amex, which does allow it, but I told the cashier that had I used my Visa we would be at a stand still over the issue. She persisted that by law they are allowed to ask it. I told her she is mistaken and to speak to management… She later said they are doing it because someone recently used a stolen credit card at their store. My response to her was, you take the risk for accepting that form of payment.

• AnonymousCoward says:

So, you used a card that does allow the merchant to check ID, then got into an argument with the cashier about asking for ID on a card that you weren’t even using. What were the people in line behind you doing during this time, besides getting angrier and angrier with you?

• ablestmage says:

Did you check to see if there actually was a law? A merchant agreement does not override a law.

4. danmac says:

It’s nice to see that they’re “taking this seriously”, although I doubt it’s remotely within the realm of possibility that Mastercard will take any punitive (i.e. fines, cancellation of contract, etc.) measures against the retail behemoth. Walmart is simply too lucrative a client for Mastercard handle with anything other than a softly worded reprimand.

Of course, I invite comment of anyone who thinks contrary.

5. parkj238 says:

unless there’s a photo ID on these credit cards, why would the credit card companies want such a policy anyways?

• humphrmi says:

I’ve never understood. It’s easier to get a fake ID with someone else’s name on it than to steal a credit card. I’d like to know how many transactions that included showing ID ended in fraud.

6. moore850 says:

All walmarts do this on a regular basis. This is a huge systemic problem, Mastercard, are you listening?

7. pv845 says:

I don’t see what the big deal is. Show the ID and move on. So what if it is not in the contract between merchant and card company. WHO CARES?

• MMD says:

My DL has uniquely identifying information about me. I’m not handing it over unless there’s a legitimate need for someone to have that information. No retail outlet needs my home address, birth date or DL#.

If you don’t mind sharing that information with any random person who happens to ask, would you mind posting it here? I’d like to verify your identity.

• jbandsma says:

Here in SC, driver’s licenses also include SS#. It’s bad enough the state sells this information to anyone with the money to buy…without our permission (and yes, it’s gone to court and been declared perfectly legal by the SCSC)…but to give it to someone voluntarily? I don’t think so.

• mha63 says:

The big deal is that I am not required to show ID. More importantly, the line are long enough at WalMart and other retailers. If the request of ID becomes more prevalent, this will only increase the lines, particularly during the xmas season. In addition, I grab my credit card and thats all I bring into a store.

• mha63 says:

• jamar0303 says:

Tourists? Someone coming in from China, for instance, is probably not going to have their passports on them while shopping (yeah, yeah, I know, against the rules). Someone asks for ID. Instinctively they pull out their Chinese IDs. The cashier refuses to accept them because he can’t read them (no English). Then what? Mastercards aren’t just issued in the US, y’know.

On the other hand, Chinese ATM cards are linked to the Discover network. And they typically have no name printed on them. Thus, nothing to ask for. I confused a shopkeeper this way- handed him the card, had him start asking for ID, then looking at the card and going “uh, never mind”.

8. bottombear says:

As a former WalMart drone, I can tell you that anytime you buy and the total is over $100, the registers automatically displays SEE ID. The cashier can just clear it and the transaction continues like nothing happened. I only did it if the total was over $1000 which, in WalMart, was a rarity.

9. PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

I dread even making this comment, but I really don’t understand why people are so against companies asking for one’s ID when they pay with a card.

I mean this in all seriousness: could someone eplain to me why this bothers people so much? I mean, I understand that it states that showing ID isn’t necessary in the merchant agreement – but what about it PERSONALLY offends people?

• Tim in Wyoming says:

Because it is more of a ID Theft issue for someone to look at my ID than my credit card. If you want to show it, go ahead. I prefer the least amount of access to information I give other people. As long as Visa and MC allow it, I will fight it and piss off my g/f.

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

Thanks, Tim – I appreciate the friendly response. (I know how this topic can get heated…)

As someone who *has* been a victim of ID theft, I can truly understand wanting to avoid that – but I guess I’m willing to risk a cashier glancing at my name and photo on my driver’s license and comparing it to my face and the card. (Although, back in the late 90s, this did work against me: I went through a phase where I was wearing bright blue contacts, and a cashier refused to sell me cigarettes because my license listed my eyes as brown. I thought that was a nice catch on her part.)

On the flip-side, I have used Mrs Plume’s card at the local gas station (with her permission, natch) without a problem – but they know me there…

• evnmorlo says:

It’s a constant hassle and accusation of customers to prevent a few criminals, and one that could actually make you liable for stolen purchases if the thief is industrious enough to get a fake ID (or just put a sticker with your name over theirs). And while store employees are only identified by their first names, expecting customers to give out their full names, DOB, and addresses to cashiers is rather unfairly invasive. Finally, I don’t have an ID, so personally I would be particularly bothered if stores did this

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

Hmmmm, that’s an interesting scenario. I mean, a crook could put a sticker with my name over theirs on their (or someone else’s) driver’s license – but if the license isn’t recorded (which, for the record, I am against), it seems that the point could possibly be moot. By this, I mean, if they’re not recording my actual license, then they’re not recording the crook’s license, either; it seems like it’d be the same fight either way.

But, I can understand your case and how that would make life difficult. Mind you, I’m not saying checking ID should be manditory – I was just wondering why people get so upset by it.

• mha63 says:

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

You know, with some cards, you DO have to show ID. (Although, does Discover even count?)

I wondered if there were those that feel that it would slow down the transaction; in that case, we’re talking, what?, five extra seconds per transaction? (That’s the time of the cashier looking at the ID and glancing at the card; I’m presuming you’re handing the ID with the card.) And Christmas time is nuts, regardless.

• Griking says:

So taking a second to show ID causes longer lines but arguing with a teen aged clerk that you have the right to not show your ID doesn’t?

• MountainCop says:

Uh, because it’s none of the cashier’s or the store’s damn business what my address, driver’s license number, birthdate, height, weight, and eye color is. Period.

Plus, they signed a contract saying they would not do it.

• BATL says:

As for me, I have several feelings about it:
      1)They are not required to do so, and it is an unneccesary step.
      2)I can buy $500 worth of stuff from Walmart.com, have it shipped and left at the door w/o every showing ID. So why do they need it at the store w/ the same card.
      3)If this practice is not required, it opens the door for it to be selectively applied (i.e. “he/she looks like somebody I should ask for ID from)
      4)I’d be willing to bet that they lose more $ from people stuffing jars of peanut butter in their socks than from people committing credit card fraud in person.

10. TBGBoodler says:

Need to see an ID? “Sure. No problem. The wallet I stole with this credit card in it also included her driver’s license!”

• Kahless says:

And thankfully you look like the person you just robbed?
      Just show the id douche

• TBGBoodler says:

Actually, I always just show and it often thank the person for asking. :-)

• Dopaz says:

Even if your ID does not match the name on the card, they usually just go through the motions like they checked the ID. Used to happen to me all the time when I was younger… buy cigs, show my ID that was legit and showed I was too young… Also, using dad’s credit card and my name didn’t match. They just go through the motion like they are checking the ID. Especially during busy times.

11. tweeder82o says:

victory at last

12. Macgyver says:

Big deal, you have to show I.D., so what.

Let’s say that you lose your credit card, and someone uses it and forges your signature on the receipt. Cause they didn’t ask for ID, the cashier don’t know that you not the CC holder.
    The thief could’ve got a fake ID and put your name on it, but the normal common thief wouldn’t take the time to do that. And they would have to use it quickly, cause they know you would find out and cancel the CC.
    Then you would have to prove to the CC company. that you didn’t make those purchases.

• Tim in Wyoming says:

Its not that difficult to prove you didn’t make the charges. In the two times I have had my credit card number stolen, it was as simple as calling the card company (or them calling me), filing a police report, and getting the charges reversed.

Most cashiers that have asked for my g/f’s ID never look at the name or photo, just that you pulled it out. What good does that do in your scenario?

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

I wasn’t so lucky – I had to take half a day off work to go to my credit union, fill out affidavits stating that I did not use the card and where I was at the time, have the forms notorized and send that to the credit card company with the police report.

• Tim in Wyoming says:

That is a credit union for you.

The credit union my g/f and I use, use the same 12 digits on credit cards and only change the last four. They issued a number 1 digit off from my g/f’s card. A flower shop in town wrote down the last number of an order wrong and it was charged to my g/f. She had to do something similar for an $80 charge.

But that is the price you pay for a credit union that doesn’t have the staff to properly hand this type of stuff. You have a major card issuer and you would never have to deal with that.

• ohhhh says:

I have seen maybe one or two clerks in years of purchases actually look at the ID hard enough to examine the signature. Flashing an ID proves nothing, I have used other people’s cards with their permission flashed my id with their name on the card and the clerk still processed the transaction.

Likewise I have let my dad borrow my card and when he was asked to show ID that didn’t match the name on the card they still processed the transaction.

Clerks are not looking at the ID signature, they are just looking blankly at the card because they are told they are supposed to.

• mha63 says:

Legally, you are only responsible for the first $50, and most times credit companies will waive the $50.

13. cosmic.charlie says:

OMG! There is a Walmart in Willow grove, PA!

The Walmart store in Redacted, Redacted must be getting nervous about some competition!

• Conformist138 says:

There is TERRIBLE service in Redacted, Redacted. Honestly, after all the bad service from the Redacted, Redacted Best Buys, Walmarts, and Radio Shacks, I’d consider moving.

14. 420greg says:

I don’t understand why stores would want to pay the wages of all the hourly employees checking ID’s. They do this at bestbuy, and I bet it cost them $1,000,000 a month in labor.

When they swipe the card and the ‘authorization’ number comes back, they are going to get their money. That is why you pay the companies that own the machines a surcharge. They are guaranteeing the card is good so you don’t have to do it on your own. Remember the little books they use to have to thumb though? That is what the .25 transaction fee is for. Its like a little insurance payment that you are going to get paid.

Companies that check ID for credit cards are wasting time, and time is money.

• Tim in Wyoming says:

On the flip side, if it is determined that the credit card was stolen that store will not get that money. The credit card company takes it back and the store just lost the money. I understand why merchants want to check ID. I just don’t want them having any more access to my information than the need.

15. MwMike says:

I go along with showing the ID.
    I just had a card number of mine used somehow to make a purchase out of state. The bank called, knew it was fraud, I didn’t pay anything, they sent me a new card and everything went smooth. But someone ends up paying for credit card companies covering us on these deals…

My CostCo credit card has my picture on it, they should all do this. If someone is going to fraudulenlty use a card they should have to put a little effort in to it.

16. banmojo says:

I don’t know why, but this kind of behavior on the part of the stores just doesn’t bother me that much. I understand MC policy, and Walmart is clearly in violation of this policy (both WMs at my town anyways) but I always just show my ID. Shoot, I take out my MC WHILE I’m turning the wallet over to show my DL. Less time.

I appreciate and understand the argument made above that having to show ID is actually anti-consumer (as stated, fake ID is easy to come by, and now the store can say they ‘checked his ID, it MUST have been him’ however one can still appeal this to MC, and ultimately they will usually side with the customer (I wonder if MC requires ‘alibis’ in cases like this :^)

But for as often as I see this topic on Con, it doesn’t seem to be a big deal to me. One would have to start a class action lawsuit to get WM to change its policy, and what would the class action be claming as damages? Mental stress? carpal tunnel? :^))

I guess I just don’t understand why Con runs this story and DIDN’T run my story tip about a shady company on Craigslist in Jacksonville FL that was advertising cheap real estate in foreclosure, then when you call they set up an appt to view, then you go and they strong arm you into signing up for their 250$ service, ‘guaranteed’ of course. This scam is happening all across US now

• ellemdee says:

Real estate scams abound. My sister and her husband were looking for a home to rent recently and attended an open house. Naturally, it was beautiful and priced low. Everyone who was interested in renting it had to pay an “application fee”, which people were lining up to do. The next weekend, they had another open house & collected more “application fees”. Rinse and repeat.

17. KyBash says:

I once came home on a Thursday to find my entertainment center empty (at least the burglars were tidy — no mess at all!). I was expecting guests over the weekend, and insurance would take weeks to process, so I really had no option but to get stuff really cheap, really fast.

I spent more than $2500 at Wal-Mart, using VISA, MasterCard, and Amex, over the next two days, no single purchase less than $200. Not once was I asked to show an ID, and more than once I walked out with more than $500 of unsacked merchandise in the cart and the receipt checker just smiled and waved me past.

I don’t know where people are finding Wal-Marts with horrendous rules.

18. StrangeEmily says:

Good job fighting against opening-your-wallet carpal tunnel syndrome? I thought the article a few weeks back was a joke too. Still think you would have been better off getting a wallet thats easier to open and close instead of wasting all that time finding a way not to. Might have been cheaper?

19. Robert Nagel says:

Remember that neither the credit card company or the merchant pays for the fraudulent use of a credit card. You the consumer do. If you feel that this is a fair trade off, so be it. I, for one, don’t. I show my ID without hesitation and while an experienced crook may be able to fake an ID, the penalty gets higher and at least the amateurs are cut out of the equation.

20. mha63 says:

Having to show your ID is almost as bad as when a minimum wage cashier use to take my card and try to compare the signature on the back to the signature on the receipt. Some would study it as if they were an FBI agent. I use to ask if they had a degree in handwriting analysis, because my signature is rarely the same. In addition, the signature on the back of my card is horrendous because of the amount of space given to sign the back of the card, and trying to sign your name on one of those POS terminals can often be a nightmare, which causes my signature to look like squggly lines.

21. Kimmakimma says:

Management should have the right. I work in retail and we have the same policy. I usually don’t check unless the card asks to do so. If a customer looks to be figity and suspicious, then I definitely check the ID. I honestly don’t see what the big deal is. Just show your ID and be on your way. What is so hard about that. It is simply precaution to protect YOU. It isn’t meant to be rude.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

It’s against your agreement to do so, that’s why. I don’t see what’s the small deal about having to show “papers please” everywhere you turn. I’m disappointed so many young people don’t care about their rights these days.

22. homehome says:

I don’t why ppl on here think that bitchin to the CC companies will do anything in the long run. If the choice is losing your $100 or losing Wal-Mart’s s1 billion dollars, do you really think it’s a hard choice. Unless 350 million ppl in this country are willing to destroy their credit cards in protest your argument will always fall on deaf ears.

Why shouldn’t a company have the right to protect itself. And if you’re so worried about ur info, just pay cash. Easy fix. Too many rebels without a cause.

23. bananaboat says:

I’m not sure why Walmart cares. In a dispute between the merchant and the CC company, all the merchant must provide as proof is the electronic signature capture (usually $25 and above) to prove there was a charge. The signature can be an X (what I sign) so it’s not verified as the cardholder but as proof the card was used at the merchant – Walmart gets their money.

If the customer disputes and wins, its the CC company that loses. Walmart gets it’s money since they have the electronic signature as proof for a transaction.

24. Griking says:

Just out of curiosity, if a person is so against showing ID and a major retailer requires it why not just go through one of the self service lanes

25. tooluser says:

Any time and every time you are asked for identification, or to sign something, it is not to protect or benefit you. It is always and only for the protection of the party requesting your compliance. There is no circumstance in which the requesting party could not provide you with the benefit you seek without you providing your voucher of authenticity. It is merely their preference that you do so, in order to protect their own interest. Such requests are always and forever for the sole and exclusive benefit of the requester, and very often to the detriment of the compliant party. Every time you sign something or present identification, it is an attack on your honesty and integrity.

That said, the benefit of completing a transaction may be worth the price to you — you may not be able to get something you want without proving your obedience to the other party.

It’s very interesting to me that no online retailer has ever requested photo ID with any purchase I have ever made. Yet bricks and mortar stores continue to do so. Showing ID is obviously not a requirement to purchase anything without a legally required age restriction.

26. marzolian says:

If it’s in the contract, fine. Good for MasterCard. But why would it be in the contract?

Does checking ID really help reduce the use of stolen cards?

If it does, then it would seem that Walmart has a good reason to check ID. What reason does MasterCard or any other card have, for stores NOT to check ID?

27. crazydavythe1st says:

Keep complaining people! We saw what happened with the minimum purchase thing. Heck, we’re already 1/4 of the way there with Discover!

28. Valajin says:

I love how the people get into a frothing rage over this are the same people that would be having a heart attack if someone stole their card and it was used to make a bunch of purchases without anyone ever making sure it was the actual card holder. Pick and chose your battles people, more important “liberties” are taken away from us every day. The downfall of civilization…people who cry about this. Bring on the disemvoweling!

29. mha63 says:

For those of you who don’t think its such a big deal to show ID, what would you say if store started requiring ID for cash purchases over a certain amount of money? You bill is $125. If you pay in cash, we are going to need ID and maybe even scan your ID. Why would a store require it – according to you, it doesn’t matter, just show them your ID. Next they will want to know where you got the money from. Its a slippery slope, and stop saying that when retailers ask for ID they are protecting me, They aren’t. They are protecting themselves. I as a consumer am legally protected and am only required to pay the first $50 of charges not made by me, and most times credit card companies don’t make you pay that. Also, most stolen cards are used on the internet or at gas stations first to try them out to see if they have been cancelled. Self service checkouts dont require ID, so why should some minimum wage cashier ask for mine or try to compare my signature to the signature on the back fo the card as if they are a hand writing expert?

• crazydavythe1st says:

They are supposed to compare signatures, per the credit card companies. That’s the original idea behind why they aren’t really supposed to ask for ID. Comparing your signature on the receipt to your signature on the card was supposed to be an alternative to asking for ID.

As far as self surface checkouts go, most people using those only have a limited number of items. At most stores, they situate cameras directly above each one and often have a camera above the viewscreen. and if you do spend quite a bit, the transaction will often have to be approved by the person running the self checkouts.

and frankly, I don’t want to be liable for $50. and even if the credit card companies cover it, there’s is a LOT of paperwork involved with every company I’ve ever dealt with. Even USAA required me to fill out five or six pages worth of information when I had my card stolen and used. If someone had just checked ID, it would have been no big deal. Or even had just compared signatures, AS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO.

30. Mphone says:

My question with this is:

What is a company supposed to do if it is a duped card? We have had people come in with duped cards and lost nearly $2,000.00 even after we checked ID’s and names matched.

We had no recourse at all. The Credit Card companies didn’t care. All they cared about was that the customers card was used without authorization. So we had to loose the product and money. How is that fair to an honest company?

In before “go after the theifs” We have no way of doing that. We don’t know who they are.

31. Bby says:

All of you that are bitching about this are pathetic. Show your damn ID and move on. It’s not like you hand it to someone and they walk in the back room, or start writing down the information. They glance at the ID, then at you to make sure it is yours. No one MAKES you shop there. If you don’t like how they do business, get out.

Get over your stupid freedom of rights bullshit.

• crazydavythe1st says:

Exactly. Where everyone seems to get confused is the fact that their rights are NOT being violated, because IS IT NOT A RIGHT TO USE A CREDIT CARD.

• mha63 says:

It’s not a “rights” issue, nor was the original posting say anything about have a right not to hand over ID. The issue is that asking for ID is explicity prohibited by the company (or companies) that issue the credit cards, in this instance, MasterCard. WalMart (and other other retailer), in agreeing to accept MasterCard, must legally adhere to the terms of the Merchant Agreement set forth by MasterCard. One of those terms is that a retailer cannot make the purchase of merchandise contingent upon the requirement of producing ID, unless the credit card is not signed or need ID for shipping purposes, or age requirement. So please get your facts and/or premise right and be careful getting off your high-horse.

• Bby says:

The issue is people complaining about something that doesn’t make a difference. If Walmart employees want you to show your ID to purchase something, it is NONE of your damn business. It is between Walmart and Mastercard.

If you don’t like it, shop somewhere else.

32. ablestmage says:

I’m curious as to whether any of the purchases made, themselves, were eligible for requiring ID, such as cigarettes or automotive fluids.

33. gnubian says:

Section 5.8.4 in its entirety –

5.8.4 Additional Cardholder Identification
    A Merchant must not refuse to complete a Transaction solely because a
    Cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment of a Card at
    the POI refuses to provide additional identification information, except as
    specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A Merchant may require
    additional identification from the Cardholder if the information is required to
    complete the Transaction, such as for shipping purposes. A Merchant in a
    country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification
    Service (AVS) may require the Cardholder’s ZIP or postal code to complete a
    Cardholder-Activated Terminal (CAT) Transaction, or the Cardholder’s address
    and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce
    Transaction.

From the Mastercard rules 12 May, 2005

34. somegraphx says:

I seriously don’t get this “I don’t have to show ID” argument. I had my ID stolen and someone forged my signature. Even though I immediately reported it stolen, I had a very hard time proving it wasn’t my signature.

Ever since then, I’ve written, “Ask for ID” in the sig line of my credit card. Most vendors do. I then show them my ID which they look at the names and makes sure I match. Then we conclude our business. If someone steals my ID, they wouldn’t be able to use my card because their name wouldn’t match.

I consider this protection for the time and energy I expended after spending HOURS correcting my credit report after the theft.