Sex At Goldman Sachs Is Cool As Long As You Report It

On the (high) heels of a sex-discrimination lawsuit filed last week by three female current and former Goldman Sachs employees, The Daily Beast takes a look at the investment firm’s official and unofficial internal policies on dating and sex. Basically, a far worse crime than a boss groping a subordinate is a subordinate not reporting it. No news yet though on what their internal policies are on screwing America in the workplace.

The Dating Rules at Goldman [The Daily Beast]

RELATED
3 Women Claim Bias at Goldman [NYT]

Comments

1. Snarkster says:

You mean not reporting it…to the IRS?

2. grapedog says:

These banks cannot surprise me anymore, at all, ever.

I’m still having an issue with Goldman Sachs and Henry Paulson, plus many other banks, plus our executive and legislative branches, and the apathetic americans who allowed/continue to allow these “banks” and “investment firms” to do whatever the fuck they want.

Sex scandal… don’t I wish that was big news for these guys.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You should read the article. It’s actually got nothing to do with a sex scandal, really. Totally different article.

• grapedog says:

It’s blocked from my work.

• Spook Man says:

You work at Goldman Sachs?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

So you decided to make rash judgments on a company without knowing why?

• grapedog says:

HAHA, that’s funny. Goldman Sachs has enough history to make comments on. As you can see, I clearly didn’t comment on the article directly, aside from saying that I *wish* that a sex scandal was the worst thing that Goldman Sachs was involved in. Obviously I used a completely unrelated topic about the same company vent my frustrations about the stupidity of humanity.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I encourage you to read the article before commenting. It’s a very interesting corporate culture that you do not normally see. In many ways, it’s quite healthy, productive, and effective. Very different than the norm, however, so might not appeal to everyone.

4. pop top says:

Ben, you’re trying to make it sound as though a subordinate being sexually harassed would be punished more than the harasser, which is not what the article is about. This is merely about acceptable dating practices within the firm, and not about sexual harassment.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Yeah, I have to admit the article really has nothing to do with the information Consumerist provided.

• danmac says:

I totally agree and was going to make a comment to that effect…in fact, the article specifically mentions a banker who was fired after a pattern of harassment was established.

• cheri0627 says:

The article did specifically mention the woman who didn’t report an incident for two years (where the man immediately did) and it worked against her. Unfortunately, the article does not say how it worked against her, so it’s not clear if later she decided to press a claim against him and because she didn’t say anything right away it was a problem or if maybe she didn’t get a promotion or bonus or something for not reporting it right away or what….

5. u1itn0w2day says:

Does that include screwing their investors and the economy?

6. Scrutinizer says:

Seems Goldman Sachs policy is T&A, tell ask.

7. cybercjh says:

Love LOVE the picture. “Are You Being Served?” was hilarious.
    That’s old Mr. Grace in the picture with his bit of fluff.

• pop top says:

That doesn’t look a thing like Mr. Grace.

• smirkette says:

Old Mr Grace didn’t get around much.

• layton59 says:

There were at least two different actors that played the Grace Brothers. This was the second one. The secretary in Mr. Grace’s lap is sexy, although I like Mr Rumbolt’s secretary played by Candy Davis better.

• MarvinMar says:

I came to comment the same thing. My wife STILL watches AYBS at bedtime.
      I could recite every episode by heart I bet.
      And don’t forget Are You Still Being Served (Grace and Favour)
      And did you know Australia got an AYBS as well, and the SAME Mr Humphries was on it too.

8. smo0 says:

Interesting article. It seems they have a very proactive stance.

Also, the term “harassment” is thrown around too.. vicariously these days…

either people think everyone has this “mad men” mindset that every guy at the office wants to fondle your taters… or people have become to paranoid, sensitive or both.

What’s appropriate to some, may not be to others…. what really encompasses sexual harassment in the work place?

No one seems to know.

9. Muddie says:

I’m sure the article is great, but you just introduced me to my new favorite Flickr photostream.

10. alana0j says:

Haha I read The Daily Beast as The Daily Breast at first….

11. Murph1908 says:

Nice use of Are You Being Served footage.

Young Mr. Grace was better than Old Mr. Grace pictured, but you can’t argue with the quality of his secretary.

12. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Are these kind of policies that unusual? My wife and I met at work and we had to disclose our relationship to HR. It involved filling out a short form absolving my company from sexual harassment claims and reassigning my then-girlfriend to another manager.

We also have similar policies regarding sexual harassment. The victim is responsible for reporting it to a supervisor as soon after the event as possible. Witnesses are also under an obligation to report any inappropriate conduct too. Supervisors have an obligation to investigate any claims of harassment, regardless if the victim wants it pursued or not.

This all stemmed from an accountant who embezzled a great deal of money from our company, in small increments over a long period of time. When she was arrested, she tried to blackmail the owner of the company through a made up sexual harassment claim. Our CEO pursued the criminal charges and she filed a completely unsubstantiated complaint with the state human rights commission.

The agency ultimately ruled in favor of my company but still wound up costing into the 6 digits for the defense, lost productivity, lost time, and loss of computers during the investigation.

• pop top says:

“The victim is responsible for reporting it to a supervisor as soon after the event as possible”

And what if they don’t because they’re afraid or they feel ashamed or they’ve been threatened? Are they punished?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Company policy that requires you to report conflict-of-interest relationships is common. But GS goes far beyond that minimum requirement. And they are much better are helping to make the relationship successful (or at least preventing work from making i fail).

13. mmeetoilenoir lurktastique says:

I actually squeed when I saw the pic. Young Mr. Grace!

14. sopmodm14 says:

i want to work for goldman sachs , but to bad its a sausage fest

15. peebozi says:

I wonder who reported to whom for the dry-anal-rape goldman performed on america…they probably reported it to hank paulson.