KFC Pays College Girls To Advertise Double Down On Their Butts

Some might look at the KFC Double Down — aka the bacon and cheese sandwich with fried chicken “buns” — and say “a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips.” But the fried chicken chain is hoping you’ll associate the sandwich with the rear ends of young college women.

From WTEN.com:

Campaign participants march across campus in “Double Down” branded t-shirts and red sweatpants with the logo on the backside. KFC calls it, “Gluteus Ad Maximus: Enlisting female undergrads as human billboards to tempt fellow students.

Some call the guerilla campaign “sexist,” while others say it’s all in good fun. It just makes me feel old.

KFC ‘Double Down’ campaign has people talking ‘buns’ more than ‘chicken’ [WTEN.com]

Comments

1. SerenityDan says:

I don’t have a problem with this marketing on it’s own. But I hate the concept of clothes with writing on the butt. You get looked at like you are a perv for looking. Well how else am I going to read what you’ve decided to display?

• James says:

I hate it too- the worst is seeing when Tweens are wearing it. Right next to their parents.

• SerenityDan says:

Forget tweens, I’ve seen 7 year old kids with them.

• DariusC says:

Sir, please have a seat over there…

• Venus Blue says:

I have a 7 year old daughter, and I’m not even joking, I got out of my way to find clothes that are modest for her. It is simply ridiculous. I scolded my mother for buying her a bathing suit that was one piece but had the sides cut out of it. I’m in no way a prude (believe me) but I don’t think my 7 year old needs a bathing suit that shows off extra skin. It is sad that I have to go through racks of clothes to find something that isn’t skimpy.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Yeah, it is really frustrating to see girls under 10 running around like miniature Madonnas. Er. Britneys. Er. Who is it now? I am really glad that my parents never allowed or encouraged me to dress inappropriately for my age.

• nbs2 says:

We find that a standard bottom to a two piece (is that a bikini bottom – I can’t keep trak of all the different styles) and a rashguard work well for our kid. More than anything else, it lets us get pieces that fit her.

• djshinyo says:

Less materials, less cost, more profit!

• dangerp says:

Agreed. The tweens is more than a little inappropriate. When it’s women of an appropriate age, then I don’t see the big deal, they are asking you to, um, read their backside. If they call attention to it, then they are going to get a downward glance. It is annoying that the guy reading it is labeled a perv for it though.

• grapedog says:

I look long and hard, and hope the parents notice.

If they are allowing their tween to wear words written across their ass, then they deserve to be slapped in the head by an old man holding a keyring.

• dohtem says:

Like those pants with “PINK” emblazoned across the as.. um, back. Here I am scrutinizing the typography and admiring the kerning and they want to look at me weird.

• kc2idf says:

This is the perfect place to advertise the Double Down, since that’s where it will end up . . .

• ablestmage says:

Well it appears your actual irritation is with getting looked at for looking — so just stop caring about what other people think about where you look, and problem solved.

2. grapedog says:

brilliant…

As men, our natural instinct to size up a female for the purposes of breeding is FASTER than the part of brain that controls what we think our partners might think about us checking out another woman. We can’t help checking em out, and now KFC adds advertising too. Very smart!

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Actually there is strong evidence that sex doesn’t sell. In the book Buyology the author mentions a study that found sex was so reptilian and overwhelming people could remember the ads, but not the products.

3. dolemite says:

I suddenly want a double down, with 2 buns.

4. c_c says:

Double down … on their butts.. That can’t be taken the wrong way or anything…

5. Arcaeris says:

Something tells me there’s soon going to be more than just bacon and cheese between the “buns” of that sandwich.

6. wrbwrx says:

I am not opposed to this campaign. though being a vegetarian, i will never, ever buy a double down, no matter how good of a campaign this is.

• Michaela says:

I am a vegetarian too. However, as a college girl who wouldn’t mind some extra cash, I honestly would have no problems doing this (if they paid me enough). I wear shirts that say “GAP” and “PINK,” so getting paid to advertise (rather than just do it for free) would be a nice change.

7. Macgyver says:

If I see that on a girl ass (where I normally be looking anyway), I won’t be thinking of KFC, I’ll be thinking that shes a freak in bed.

8. PunditGuy says:

Dammit! My former boss and I came up with an idea for a firm based on this years ago. We were going to call the product “Assvertising.”

9. Rocket says:

As a red-blooded male, I approve of this.

• Griking says:

I’m curious if KFC will try to control who wears them. Having a fatass wearing your logo may on their bottom have the opposite effect that they’re looking for.

10. Mike says:

Didn’t Hustler make a series of videos called: “Barely Legal: Double Down, Two Guys, One Chick”?

11. menty666 says:

Wouldn’t that make you think that the sandwich maybe tastes like a…?

12. Azuaron says:

Truth in advertising: if they only gave out XXL and larger sweatpants.

13. AllanG54 says:

There must be a problem selling them. The KFC I pass on the way in to my office has just lowered the price from $5.39 to $4.99. I guess they needed to get below that $5 price point. Either way, it’s still cheaper than a good piece of ass.

14. Angus99 says:

Hey, you’re in college, you need some money – this is not the most degrading thing in the world. I was an extra in “The Day After”, the movie about nuclear holocaust with the Russkies, that was partly filmed in Lawrence, Kansas (KU). I was a radiation victim. I shaved my head for $30.

15. osiris73 says:

I’d go double-down on that.

16. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

So…do chicks with bigger butts get paid more? Consider billboard pricing: the larger the ad the more it costs.

Therefore, a chick with a cute little butt should make less than a chick with a big ole wash pan ass.

17. RandomHookup says:

Favorite place to see “butt writing” is at Tufts. It takes a confident woman to wear “JUMBOS” writ large across her behind (or chest for that matter).

18. Arctic Snowbot says:

my wife bought a sweater yesterday asking me which one i liked better. i pointed at one and said “that patch is easier to remove” she agreed. it’s a nice sweater, but i’m not getting paid to advertise for them. let the tv and magazines (R.I.P.) do that for them.

19. Nick1693 says:

I guess nothing says “KFC” like a literal shithole.

20. lodleader says:

nothing different than all the other companies that have their logos on the butts of their pants.

juicy couture and victoria secret to name a few…

• Michaela says:

There is a difference. KFC actually pays the girls. VS and Juicy make you pay them. Therefore, I would wear the Double Down pants before Juicy.

• Daggertrout says:

Wait, that Juicy stuff is actually a brand? O.o

• Michaela says:

Yes. It started out making maternity jeans or something, and then turned to regular clothes (if you can call “juicy” on your butt and boobs regular).

21. framitz says:

The location of the ad seems appropriate, I mean KFC is CRAPPY.

22. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Hooray for the commiditization of women! (Women totally don’t need to buy double-downs, can let those sweet cheeks get too fat can we?)

*Vomit*

23. iParadox{InLove} says:

But this wouldn’t work on me unless it was plastered on a guys ass.

Mmmm…. Bubble butt.

I mean.. err… Double down.

Look I’m not a vain guy, but damn, love those Double downs… I mean err… Bubble butt guys.

24. Blueberry Scone says:

While I hate the “juicy” and “pink” logos stamped across women’s pants and shorts, I think they make sense for clothing companies. As others have mentioned, is KFC trying to insinuate something about the quality of their product by stamping it over the bum part of the pants? (IE, does it taste like crap?)

25. quijote says:

This idea would not work so well for Taco Bell. I don’t think “Chili Cheese Burrito” would have the same effect.

26. Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

Do the wearers of the ad get a higher commission if their ass is bigger?

27. Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

Do the wearers of the ad get a higher commission if their ass is bigger?

28. Draw2much says:

1: So I guess this is a men’s only ad? If you’re going to try to use sex to sell, at least do the women a favor and give them some sexy men with ads on their butts!

2: I’m not really sure the butt is a great place to put food ads. I mean… butt… butt hole… I think, even with hot babes, men will naturally make the connection and poo jokes will abound. The chest would have been a better place!

3: I have an ethical/moral problems with companies using a man or woman’s body to sell a product. (Except with work out equipment.)

29. Intheknow says:

I hope there’s truth in advertising and they’re using those 300-pound college girls.

30. goodfellow_puck says:

I don’t have a problem with this, as long as they have men wearing the same advertising. Why would women not want to check out a guy’s ass and/or eat KFC? So why would you exclude them from this marketing tactic? Because you think men are all pigs and women don’t like sexy asses? Okay.

31. Spaceboss says:

this is worse than “juicy.” i like food, and i love lady butts, but please, not together.

also, i think the writing is placed a little low. it has sort of moved beyond butt to Danger Zone.

32. classic10 says:

Very well thought out. Students make a little of money and their brand guest etched on the horny student brains.

33. fuceefacee says:

“Hmm, hmm, hmm …that’s finger licking good!!!!

(that’s from a 60’s era KFC ad campaign)

34. jiubreyn says:

If this is how they had advertised it from the start, I would’ve had one already. Alas, too little to late. My bro has tried one and has sufficiently convinced me they’re gross and should be avoided at all costs.

35. Conformist138 says:

I’m not usually such a buzzkill with stuff that’s supposed to be in good fun, but isn’t this a little off? I mean “Hey ladies, you’re smart enough for collage, but still can’t afford it without selling yourself!” and “Dudes, right before you head off to a professional environment, let’s restate how totally OK it is to ogle women. They wear it, they deserve it, am i right fellas? she shouldn’t dress that way if she doesn’t… want… oh no”

When done just for fashion I feel bad for the girl either purposefully trying to get people just to notice her body or being naive enough to think she’s just being “cute”. Adding a paid sponsor sort of skeeves me out.

I guess the biggest problem though, is that this is just using women to sell to men, but no men with 6-pack abs being paid to walk about with tight jeans and stencils on their asses. It would feel less wrong if it went both ways.

36. Ben Popken says:

Flawed campaign. By their very nature double downs are bunless.

37. JollyJumjuck says:

I thought a “double-down” was an urbandictionary word for a dp.

38. Riff Raff says:

“If your backside looks like a burlap sack with two badgers fighting it out inside, you ain’t nobody’s ‘baby doll.'”

- Jeff Foxworthy, on “why certain things should not be sold in certain sizes.”

39. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Very clever KFC. Associating “finger licking good” with teenage ass.

40. EcPercy says:

Well let’s see here… The only people on the news that were complaining were either fat or not very attractive while the girls wearing the assvertisements were.

I say leave well enough alone. Let KFC use this as a way to market their disgusting sandwich. You won’t ever see me trying it no matter the price.