Here Are Your Nominees For Consumerist's Worst Ad In America 2010!

Readers of Consumerist: We asked you to tell us which commercials you hate the most, and oh boy, did you let us know. Finally, after sifting through thousands of your suggestions, we bring you your nominations for Consumerist’s First Annual Worst Ad In America Awards.

CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE PDF BALLOT OF NOMINEES or GO DIRECTLY TO THE VOTING!

Looking through the nominees below, you’ll see there’s little overlap between the companies listed here and those involved in Consumerist’s most recent Worst Company In America tournament. There’s no Comcast, no TicketMaster, no AIG.

And judging by the comments sent along with your nominations, most readers’ problems were with the presentation of the nominated ads — bad acting, loud spokespeople, irritating but infectious jingles — than they were with the products and services the ads are selling.

The one glaring exception to that statement can be seen in the Celebrity category, where many readers expressed disgust with Ben Stein’s endorsement of FreeScore.com.

In terms of numbers, the insurance industry is the most represented, with 7 nominations shared among 6 companies. Geico — whose animated gecko barely merited a mention in your nominating e-mails — tied for the lead in total nominations by a single company with two. Perhaps surprisingly, Dannon also received enough reader hate for its ads featuring Jamie Lee Curtis and Heidi Klum to earn two nominations in the same category.

There were only two commercials among the nominated ads that we couldn’t locate online — the Wendy’s spot featuring the employee who finds the words “pico de gallo” hilarious, and the ad for Chase where two newlyweds get busy in their honeymoon suite… with Chase’s new iPhone app for depositing checks. In all other cases, we’ve linked below to places you can find the specific commercial or campaign.

The polls are now open, so start voting now. VOTING FOR ALL CATEGORIES WILL END AT 8 p.m. ET on TUESDAY, 9/28/2010.

So without further ado, here are your nominees!

ABSOLUTE WORST AD IN AMERICA

• Honda: “Mr. Opportunity — Paparazzi”
  • Progressive Insurance: “Flo Dishes Out Discounts”
  • Quiznos: “Singimals — Starring Kittens”
  • Staples: “Wow! That’s a low price!”
  • State Farm: “Pocket Agent”
  • MOST GRATING PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN

• 1-800 Dentist: The last woman on Earth you’d want in the elevator with you
  • 5-Hour Energy: Mr. “Do You Know What 2:30 Feels Like?”
  • McDonald’s: The “Not Until I’ve Had My Coffee” jerkface
  • Nationwide Insurance: The World’s Greatest Spokesperson In the World
  • Wendy’s: That “Pico De Gallo!” loudmouth
  • MOST ANNOYING ANIMATED SPOKESTHING:

• Charmin: The Sticky-Bottomed Bears
  • Geico: The Squealing Piggy
  • Michelin: The Happy Roadkill Crew
  • Omnaris: The Scientists From the Uncanny Valley
  • The General Insurance: The General
  • DUO OR GROUP THAT MOST NEEDS TO BE BROKEN UP

• Capital One: Barbarians (or are they Vikings?) at the ATM
  • Chase: The honeymooning newlyweds who are way too excited about the check-depositing iPhone app.
  • Geico: Geico Cavemen, ft. Cast Of The Deadliest Catch
  • JG Wentworth: The Opera Singing Bus Riders
  • Toyota: The Toyota Sienna Couple
  • CELEBRITY WHO MUST HAVE LOST MOST MONEY IN HOUSING CRASH

• Dannon Activia: Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Dannon Light & Fit: Heidi Klum
  • Extenze: Jimmy Johnson
  • FreeScore.com: Ben Stein
  • Rent-A-Center: Troy Aikman & Hulk Hogan
  • CREEPIEST COMMERCIAL

• Allstate: Mr. Mayhem
  • Apple: iPhone Facetime — “Smile”
  • Dodge: “Kittens”
  • Liberator Medical: No More Used Catheters
  • Old Navy: The Super Modelquins
  • Remember, the main reason Consumerist can hold a contest like this is because we don’t take outside advertising or corporate sponsorships and we are 100% supported by consumers. Please consider supporting independent blogging. $5 you give us is $5 we don’t have to get from a corporation. CLICK HERE TO DONATE!

Comments

1. thompson says:

I generally like the Apple FaceTime commercials, but I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought Chris Hanson was going to appear on the screen while the “Smile” commercial played..

2. madtube says:

The majority of these make me want to put a few rounds into the TV. The most “nails-down-the-chalkboard” one has to be those stupid kittens in the Quizno’s. Every time the one comes on I wish I was deaf. I have even pondered puncturing my eardrums with a chopstick if I see it more than once during the same show.

• FeelinFroggy says:

5 4 3

• TheRealDeal says:

Agreed. The others are annoying, but I think that the Quizno’s ad is on a different level. I have a bone to pick with the creepiest commercial nominations, though. I find the Mayhem commercials to be amusing (I’m the puppy that ate your backseat), but the Michelin (Sad Forest / Roadkill Animals) is FAR creepier than any other option.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I like them. They are son-rhythmic and they stick in your head. The other ones that are on YouTube are even better, like the pirate/sub one.

3. SanDiegoDude says:

Agreed for the most part. The piggy “WEEEEE!!” commercial I actually get a kick out of, along with the Mr. Mayhem commercials.

I’m surprised the e-surance commercials aren’t mentioned. The animated super-spy commercials were awful, and now the new “employees touting great features while pretending to be robots” or “sleeping in vending machines” are just as awful, although slightly less grating.

4. TheRealDeal says:

The one I had the most difficult time deciding on was the celebrity category. It was a tough choice between Jimmy Johnson, Aikman/Hogan and Ben Stein.

5. FeelinFroggy says:

What about Papa Johns….stupid song, corny pitch and his retarded mug…..

6. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

That Staples Ad is the worst because it fails on so many levels. It isn’t funny, charming or memorable. In fact, the only reason I remember it at all is because I turned the channel when it came on for a second time during Dancing with the Stars or some damn thing.

The others suck, but that commercial is transcendent in its awfulness.

7. PunditGuy says:

I am willing to personally console Flo, should she win in her category.

8. Taliskan says:

A new contender are these Burger Kign commercials for their new breakfast line-up with a creepy flautist. I’ve seen three different ones and they are all irritating and terrible.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Creepy flautist? What’s so creepy about him? He looks like a “deadhead” playing the flute. Haven’t you ever watched the band, “Jethro Tull”? At least you’ve heard of them?

• selianth says:

Except he doesn’t even remotely look like he’s PLAYING the flute. And, the original commercial (there’s a 2nd one on now too) clearly has a piccolo on the soundtrack instead of a flute. They’re different instruments, people.

• TheRealDeal says:

Those commercials are GREAT! Breakfast, it’s breakfast!

9. Hank Scorpio says:

I love the “Kittens” commercial. It’s just the right level of WTF to get your attention, but not be outright stupid.

Also, even though it is annoying, the little piggy cracks me up every time.

WHEEEEE! Wee, wee, WHEEEEEE!

All the way home.

• Holybalheadedchrist! says:

I like it until the pig talks and sounds like an arrogant teenager, and get rid of the guy at the beginning–he’s terrible. But yeah, I hear you on the whee bit. Kind of clever, really.

• TheRealDeal says:

I also like the Randy Johnson snowball ad that seems to have come after the little piggy ad.

10. Theodore says:

The little piggy is awesome. You guys are just jealous because you don’t a pinwheel.

11. Clyde Barrow says:

Every time I see the Activia commerical I think of the SNL episode where the girls are eating that stuff and “sh!t” begins to happen. lol.

12. RubiksDude says:

Who would vote against Heidi Klum in that commercial. She’s still hot.

13. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I heart Flo.

14. Clyde Barrow says:

Every Jimmy John’s comm is aggravating.

15. johnva says:

I’m so glad for my TiVo’s 30-second skip button. I have managed to never see most of these before clicking the links, and my life is better for it.

• dadelus says:

Yeah, I’ve had a DVR from my cable service for the past few years and I really don’t know most of these. Ain’t technology grand?

16. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

I like the pig. I thought for sure I’d be tired of it by now- but no, it’s not old yet.

But, yes, please… assassinate The General.

17. Virginia Consumer says:

Is it bad that half of these are my favorite commercials. I especially love the squealing pig.

18. snobum says:

I’m a little disappointed there isn’t an annoying jingle category.

19. HalOfBorg says:

I’m glad that only one of my favorite commercial characters is on there – I LOVE Mr Mayhem.

ANd I have grown to like the squeeling piggy.

“Max. Maximillion!”

20. myCatCracksMeUp says:

It’s at times like this that I almost wish I didn’t have DVR and didn’t fast-forward through all commercials.

I’ll have to content myself by clicking on each of the links above to see what I’ve been missing.

21. perkonkrusts says:

Thanks for including 5-hour energy. I listen to Pandora on headphones at work, and when that guy comes on I snatch the headphones off my ears. If he just wouldn’t say grrrawwwggy it wouldn’t be so bad.

22. LordTwinkie says:

i hate that five hour energy guy, keeps popping in to frame, smug bastard, know it all dbag i hate hate hate him so much, him and mr opportunity, just really cocky and full of smuggness.

23. DariusC says:

MR MAYHEM IS AWESOME! Seriously, that guy makes the best commercials! I thought they were as genius as the old spice commercials.

Love how he non-chelantly throws stuff :)

24. winnabago says:

Roni Deutch?

25. Disappointed says:

I’m kinda sad that “The Most Interesting Man in the World”, from the Dos Equis ads, didn’t make the cut. :-( He irritates me to no end.

26. HogwartsProfessor says:

I love the Geico piggy commercial. That cracks me up. I’ll have to watch the rest when I get home. Don’t remember all of them.

27. Mundo says:

“Not until I’ve had my coffee” douchebag from McDonald’s should win. If I met anyone in real life like that, I’d punch him in the face. Repeatedly.

28. LordTwinkie says:

I also hate the Kia hamsters smug little jerks. and the Post T Vac one is just wrong. and the Vivitar film camera one, is that one even real? every single Truth.com anti smoking commercials their all full of smuggness and arrogant know it alls, those commercials make me want to smoke. and whats that one where the lady is talking to a group of strangers about in an elevator and then a library about her bowel movements and stomach problems…i think its horrible everyone is talking so casually about that kind of stuff.

29. BacteriaEP says:

Why is State Farm: “Pocket Agent” in the running for “Worst Ad in America.” I just don’t get it. It’s pretty boring, I guess… but aside from that it’s pretty factual.

All in all, I’m disappointed that it was chosen. I feel like there are tons of other commercials out there that are way worse than that one.

30. ohiomensch says:

I can’t believe “Head On” didn’t make the cut. I hate that frikkin commercial

31. ames says:

Is the “smile” commercial the one where the girl won’t smile because she just got braces? Because if so, I think it’s sweet. No votes from me on that one.

32. ngoandy says:

No category for the most sexist ad in America?

33. DeepHurting says:

You should have an honorary “Most Obnoxious Wardrobe” category for J.G. Wentworth.
      That guy dresses like the wolf from the old Tex Avery cartoons.

34. Thorzdad says:

I have to admit a certain fondness for the Charmin bears commercials, if only because the ad agency managed to take the age-old rhetorical question “Does a bear shit in the woods?” and turn it into a wholesome series of toilet paper commercials. That’s chutzpa.

35. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

Will we also discuss some of the best, like the Old Spice guy and The Most Interesting Man in the World?

36. harumph says:

I vote for any ad that has absurdly amplified noises of people eating. The Kit-Kat ad where they make a rhythm track of people stuffing their faces with artificial chocolate is a good example. Honorable mention goes to the ad with the pool filled with caramel because it isn’t being eaten but sounds disgusting anyway.

37. Silverhawk says:

I don’t understand why all the Progressive/Flo ads didn’t sweep the “Worst Overall” category. The first couple times they aired, they weren’t too bad, but they have run that whole campaign into the ground.

38. Kid Notorious says:

The Mr. Mayhem Allstate commercials are great! I love that actor.

39. stavr0 says:

MOST ANNOYING ANIMATED SPOKESTHING:
      # Charmin: The Sticky-Bottomed Bears

… so the Charmin bear asks the Cottonnelle kitten “Does poop stick to your fur?” …

40. edicius is an acquired taste says:

I still hate the E*Trade commercials. Blech.

41. richcreamerybutter says:

No general category for automobiles? How did Jeep’s campaign not make the list? Or that one featuring the runty, unattractive kid in some minivan?

42. mauve says:

Ryan O’Reilly…..erm…Dennis “hey dummy”….erm…Ryan O’Reilly making money after getting out of Oz by playing “Mayhem” is the best ad campaign evar. I especially love “O M G Becky isn’t even hot”. I’m always excited when the long version of that one is on.

43. shibblegritz says:

Can someone please explain to me why the “Smile” commercial is supposedly creepy? I don’t get what’s creepy about a father trying to get his unhappy daughter to smile.

44. Bkhuna says:

The GEICO piggie is way cool… those of you that don’t like it can email me and I’ll explain the humor begind it.

My vote for worst comercial: Quizno’s cats. At least they stuffed them first.

45. Vogue007 says:

MOST ANNOYING ANIMATED SPOKESTHING:
      The Mucinex green blob & his family. Absolutely heinous.

For those who live in the Northeast-
      MOST GRATING PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN:
      The Fucillo Hyundai guy screaming huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. We get it. But you are deplorable and I will never buy a Hyundai because of you, because the last thing I want to do is contribute to any sort of your hugeness. This guy could also be in the creepy category but the used catheter’s definitely take precedence.

46. Jon R. says:

How on earth could you leave out Burger King’s commercial with that ultra creepy Burger King in a mask?

47. Snowblind says:

The girl from Pico de Gallo gets my vote for best gratuitous tit bounce!

48. Draw2much says:

Why is Mr. Mayhem in this? I really like his commercials! :o

49. JoeTaxpayer says:

The Ally bank commercials are the worst, every last one.
      Some nominated here are clever the first time, but after that, annoying. The pig one for instance.

50. nybiker says:

I have to say that I really don’t know which ad is the worst. It’s not that I don’t watch tv, but I record everything to a VCR and then FF through them all. And the times that I have seen some ads, well, let’s just say they are all the worst.
      I despise Progressive only due to them being a corporate john. Same for Papa John’s, Capital One, and Allstate.
      And seriously, Troy & Hulk are shilling for stuff? And it’s the Rena-A-Center folks? Wow, they really must have taken financial advice from MC Hammer.

51. FrankReality says:

I am sooo happy I don’t watch much TV and haven’t a clue about most of these commercials.

52. webweazel says:

For me, I enjoy creativity in commercials. I LIKE the barbarians of the CapitalOne commercial. Just looking for the silly things they put in makes it kind of fun for me to watch. The modelquins are somewhat creative, too. I enjoyed them at first, but they seem to be running out of ideas now and are getting stupider. Those Geico caveman have always been incredibly stupid, and they ran the whole idea right into the ground a long time ago, but this particular commercial I thought was kind of funny.

I come from the era of the frequent commercials of singing and dancing toilets, so maybe I’m jaded.

The Heidi Klum wouldn’t have been so bad if she didn’t say “I love Light & Fit” while she’s practically trying to have sex with the container. Puh-lease.

I think what makes commercials the MOST annoying, irregardless of content, is putting the same one on hundreds of times a day. For months on end. Then making a new commercial and doing it all over again. It could be the most creative and entertaining commercial in history, but seeing it for the 276th time this week could send the most sane person right off the deep end.

53. Leela says:

I saw the most disturbing ad ever this weekend. It’s for the candy Gushers and it’s about a boy who gushes blue goo out of his eye:

54. failurate says:

Probably not the spot for it and a couple weeks late, but there is something that has just been driving me insane.
      Jennifer Hudson’s Weight Watcher internet radio ad. She’s giving her spiel about feeding hungry kids, and instead of saying “It is just wrong” she says “Its just WRONE”. Her mispronunciation of the word “wrong” makes me want to jump through the radio and slap her in her sad, mourning face.

It is not an accent issue or a possible alternative pronunciation, it is just her intentionally butchering the word. Sort of like axe vs ask.