The Christmas Creep Store

Christmas Creep is in high gear at Tyson’s Corner Mall in Mclean, Virginia, where they actually have a whole store dedicated it.

“My favorite part is the sign on the right indicating that a Halloween store will be coming “later,” writes tipster Nick. We have to agree. Don’t think it’s Christmas Creepy enough? This picture was actually taken on August 21st.

Comments

1. Dutchess says:

I like how the Christmas store has a sign that says “Haloween Shoppe” coming in September.

Cart before the horse?

2. incident man stole my avatar says:

Christmas trees were up in Home Depot yesterday…

3. JRules says:

Whats the big deal? If people want to buy Christmas decorations early, then they need a store to buy them from. This store is employing people that need jobs, and is obviously making enough money that they can open it this early.

• jesirose says:

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I read an article (Washington Post, I think) that talked about how local (DC area) malls really like renting out unused storefronts to the seasonal shops like Christmas shops and Halloween shops because the shops get reduced rent, people get jobs, and there’s a good place for people to start getting their Halloween or Christmas supplies early. There are usually one or two empty storefronts at every mall, so it works out well for everyone.

4. AllanG54 says:

There’s a store by this same name in the Arches at Tanger in Long Island. When they’re not selling X-mas stuff they sell other seasonal items. No big deal.

5. ssm316 says:

Dollar General already has their stuff out

6. kuhjäger says:

I saw the very first commercial that implied Christmas/had a Christmasy theme on Mon. September 13th.

I guess September 11th is the new Halloween.

7. Nighthawke says:

Big Lots is decked out for Halloween in three aisles, then you run smack into platforms filled with those lighted wire frame deer and trees.

Go figure.

8. Kitty Conner says:

A whole store dedicated to Christmas, (unapologetically, year-round) seems less egregious than the typical creep at big box stores.

It’s just another specialty store, one that is easily avoided if it’s not your thing. Rather than a Wal-mart Winter Wonderland in October that you’ve got to walk through on your way to Home and Garden.

• chiieddy says:

If you look at the Tysons Corner website, you’ll see it’s now replaced with the Halloween Shoppe, so it was temporary and gone. It looks like there aren’t enough summer holidays to make it worth putting a 4th of July store in.

9. CalicoGal says:

Saw Christmas crap in Ollie’s this past weekend.

I really hate Christmas. Really.

10. Destron says:

After working in retail, I can understand why this is. Christmas actually DOES start selling early, and sells pretty briskly up until about a week after Thanksgiving. Halloween on the other hand is a VERY last minute holiday. Every year we would set the Halloween merchandise and it would just sit, and sit, then about a week before it would blow out of there.

• Outrun1986 says:

Halloween is pretty last minute here, I have to agree with you, except for the candy. A lot of people get invited to a costume party last minute on halloween and have nothing to wear, so that is where you get your last minute customers.

With Christmas I think they are trying to cater to those who do their shopping early and thus their present wrapping early. Some people are too busy during the actual holiday season to do this stuff, so they need to get the wrapping paper and gifts out early so people don’t feel rushed.

If they put all the gifts and wrapping paper out on Black Friday or December 1st with no sign of anything Christmas before then, people would complain that they didn’t have enough time to do all their shopping and wrapping before the big holiday.

• PsiCop says:

Excellent point about Christmas being a long-planned holiday vs Halloween being a “seat of the pants” affair. Now that you’ve said it, it seems true.

11. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

My problem with Christmas Creep is that I have gotten to the point where I successfully ignore holiday decor right around the point where I actually SHOULD be paying attention. I blame the Creep for the fact that I am always a last-minute xmas shopper, and always forget somebody.

12. LordXar says:

I was at Lowes this weekend and there was one shelf full of Halloween decorations.
    There were 2 full rows full of Xmas stuff.
    And amazingly there were people shopping down them. I guess putting that stuff out super early works.

13. kt says:

It looks like one of those Christmas stores that is open all year long.

14. microcars says:

“Christmas Stores” are nothing new.
    Lots of malls, shopping centers and tourist destinations have them.
    They are open year ’round.
    and don’t even get me started about Frankenmuth MI…..

• Promethean Sky says:

Ah, you beat me to it. Bronner’s in Frankenmouth is ENORMOUS. It’s the size of a shopping mall all by itself, and it’s Christmas year round. It even claims to be “The world’s largest Christmas store.” I believe it too.

15. LaurelHS says:

I saw Christmas magazines at Shoppers Drug Mart earlier this month.

16. qbubbles says:

Walked by the other day, and its a Halloween store, now, true to the sign.

My parents went in there when it was still the Xmas store. It’s a year round Xmas store, so it’s slightly better than the whole Xmas in July crap you get at Target.

17. JRam says:

I know that most, if not all, the Kohl’s store in Texas got their X-mas area set up in mid September. This year I have not heard the Christmas creep complaints that I have heard in the past. I think most of our customers have just accepted the early setup time.

18. Donathius says:

I can actually get behind a store that is only Christmas stuff. It’s a little weirder when major retailers start trotting out the Christmas merchandise (or even decorate the store) at this time of year.

The local Tai Pan Trading has a few Christmas things out (trees mostly) but it’s all Halloween right now. There actually used to be a Christmas store in the same mall that was open year-round. It was always kind of fun to go in there in the middle of summer. It somehow felt about 10 degrees cooler in there. At least they were smart about it and weren’t playing Christmas music year round.

19. Robofish says:

Seeing Christmas and fall items makes me happy. Maybe I’m weird.

20. Shinchan - Please assume that all of my posts are sarcastic unless indicated otherwise says:

I would hardly call it a “year-round” Christmas store since the first time I saw it in Tyson’s was just a few months ago. Even after they convert from Halloween back to X-Mas (I assume on Nov 1) I guarantee you it will be closed for business after Jan 1, 2011.

21. Phineas says:

Wait, I thought there was supposed to be a “war on Christmas”! Wouldn’t some secularist have burned this place down by now?
    Or, are the self-righteous lying? They don’t do that, do they?

22. Preyfar says:

The constant barrage and over-consumerism of Decemberween has permanently turned me off from the holiday.

23. Battlehork says:

Start shopping for next Christmas on December 26!!1!one!!

24. StrangeEmily says:

I take it The Christmas Tree Shop in 16 States open year-round, and has their very own website doesn’t count???

25. NotEd says:

I saw Xmas lights in the Target yesterday, right accross the aisle from the clearence grilling and gardening equipment.

And I am not reeally suprised the Christmas store was there that early, as it is a good way for a Mall to make extra cash off an empty store front. I am a little confused about the Xmas, then Halloween and presumably back to Xmas progression.
    Maybe they have a lot of Xmas stock left over from last year and this gives them a chance to make a few bucks off of it at full price?

26. Boo LaRue says:

Cracker Barrel stores have had Christmas stuff on display since late August. THEN they started putting out the Halloween stuff…

27. Talisker says:

You are a fool if you buy Christmas decorations in the months leading up to Christmas. Go the week after Christmas when the retailers are desperate to unload their stock and store it until next year.

28. quail says:

I know that everyone loves to complain about this. I do too. But if people didn’t buy X-Mas goods in September then the stores wouldn’t put it up. It’s called capitalism. The stores wouldn’t do it if there wasn’t demand and money for it.

Yea, there’s the argument that the stores have trained the consumer to want the crap now. But I blame the crazy little-old ladies who pawn through seasonal holiday junk like it’s Biblical gold from Rome.