Apple Makes Newsday Take Down Awesome iPad App Ad?

Last week Newsday put out a hilarious new ad to promote its new iPad app, and now Apple has made them take down the most widely distributed version, according to an insider tip posted by by Network World. Maybe it was because the ad shows a guy who has replaced his newspaper with the iPad trying to swat a fly with the device and ends up smashing his iPad into shards. The tipster said Apple told Newsday had to get rid of the ad, or they would eject their app from the App store. Touchy, touchy. In case you missed it, here is the ad again (reuploaded by another user):

Fly on the wall says Apple made Newsday kill funny iPad ap ad [Network World]

Comments

1. trey says:

what is apple so damn worried about?

• E. Zachary Knight says:

They aren’t worried about anything. They just have no sense of humor.

• Rachacha says:

Because the advertisement desecrates the sacred apple hogo, and shows the one* negative of the iPad vompared with a “real” newspaper.

*Yes, I know that individuals may have more than one negative when comparing the iPad

• E. Zachary Knight says:

True. All Apple sees is someone smashing an iPad. They physically and mentally incapable of putting that into any context where it would be a positive.

• Rachacha says:

Uggh. I just noticed all of the spelling mistakes. Do you think I could be hired as the next Consumerist Editor? ;-)

Because the advertisement desecrates the sacred apple logo, and shows the one* negative of the iPad compared with a “real” newspaper.

• Stiv says:

As I understand, they were concerned about the ad depicting flying shards of glass when the screen shatters. Would that happen? Maybe. I don’t know if the screen has any coating that might prevent or mitigate that.

I could test with my iPad, but I don’t love y’all that much.

2. packy says:

This ad is hilarious!

3. full.tang.halo says:

One would think they’d encourage it, more ipad sales!!!

4. Hedgy2136 says:

Network world to Apple Marketing: Any comment as to the removal of the “Flypaper” video?

Apple via Sjobs@apple.com: Leave us alone.

5. Macgyver says:

I would say F Apple. Let them remove your app.

I don’t know why lots of sites make these apps for, when people can just go to the mobile version of their site.

• XTC46 says:

Simplicity and generally apps have more functionlity than just the mobile site. Also, having an app for that is cool.

Do you use MS office on your computer? or do you use Google Docs online (or office 2010 online)? Same deal. both have their place, one is more full featured.

6. framitz says:

The iPad really isn’t a very good fly swatter as is. It needs to be perforated so the air doesn’t blow the fly out of harms way when striking.

About 40 1/8 inch holes spaced evenly should improve fly swatting performance significantly.

7. MeowMaximus says:

More proof that Steve Jobs is an arrogant sphincter. If anyone at CrApple had a sense of humor, they would be cheering for ads like this. Oh wait, if you work at CrApple, a Sense of Humor is not an approved app – so sorry!

8. davidc says:

Hence why I won’t buy apple products willingly. Everything about the company is offensive.

9. nbs2 says:

My guess is that they are concerned that some less sensible users will see this and imitate the actions. They will then expect Apple to replace the iPad. Rather than deal with those idiots and their future emails to Consumerist’s tip line, they wanted the “non-standard use” that is accompanied by their logo removed.

10. teke367 says:

I think Apple should remove their new Nano commercial for being about 9 years too late with that “Cake – Short Skirt Long Jacket” song.

• aloria says:

That song wasn’t even good nearly a decade ago; what the heck possessed Apple to choose it now?

• kriswone says:

Apple is so childish, so attention deprived, they think that the chorus of the song i.e. the “na, na, na, na, na, na…” is them telling everyone: this technology is not new, it’s not useful, but people will buy it anyway, cause we slapped a apple sticker on it, look right here an apple sticker.

na na na na boo boo, stick your head in doo doo, buy an apple or two you fool.

• cash_da_pibble says:

aww, I like that song.
      Apple can suck it, tho.

• MaxPower says:

Chuck uses that song too.. they just don’t have any of the words, only the “na na na na” part.

11. aloria says:

So does the “Will It Blend” seriously cheese Apple off as well?

• XianZomby says:

Apple has no influence over the “Will it Blend” people. Will it Blend wants nothing from Apple, so Apple can withhold nothing from them.

If this was really an issue, Apple would do what every American company does, and sue. Here, they threaten with the leverage they have, which is not approving an application.

12. dolemite says:

Wait…wait. I knew Apple had control over what people that use their devices get to do/say/hear, but they also have the power to tell devs and companies how to advertise?

13. WickedCrispy says:

Apple gadgets are indestructable, forged from titanium in the heart of Mount Cupertino, and only there may they be destroyed. I mean recycled. Or something.

14. MonkeyMonk says:

Streisand effect in action. I had neither seen nor heard of this ad until Apple (reportedly) tried to have it taken down.

• Groanan says:

Intentional perhaps?
      Apple just got a ton of sites to feature an ad showing the iPad being used for the news, for free.

• Conformist138 says:

And I liked the ad, thought Apple sounded like a bunch of idiots, and added it as Reason #203 to not buy an iPad.

15. backinpgh says:

So, to get this perfectly clear, my iPad WON’T actually break if I slam it on a counter?

• Michael Belisle says:

No, it will break, but the glass will not shatter into a million deadly shards. I think it’s a fair point on the part of Apple, since it misrepresents what the iPad would do in that situation.

16. Mike says:

I heard that Apple was upset because the glass on the iPad doesn’t really shatter like that and they didn’t want people to think it did. Why not just have Newsday put a little disclaimer on the bottom of the screen saying “breakage simulated” or something?

17. tasselhoff76 says:

I think Apple and Steve Jobs’ have need to laugh a little more.

18. Mr.Grieves says:

Apple is not aware of the Barbara Streisand effect apparently. I never saw this ad till now.

19. Spooky says:

Apple over lords say “FEAR ME”!

20. brianisthegreatest says:

That’s pretty funny. I’m guessing the device is a bit more resilient than this, which would be Apple’s problem. It’s also funny Apple threatens to give them the cold shoulder for the app store. To me, taunts like that just make me want to offend them more.

21. FilthyHarry says:

Methinks threatening to reject an app because they don’t like the developer’s ad campaign is just the kind of thing that would maake people in certain govt branches sit up and take notice.

22. wrbwrx says:

That was funny.

23. jimmiej says:

They didn’t want PETA to get involved.

24. Gundy says:

So why can’t newsday just put the app on their (newsdays) site for free download anyway? Is apple pulling some sort of monopoly thing where you can only get apps from their sources no matter who makes them? It seems to me like you should be able to just go online, download the app on the ipad and install it a give apple a big FU.

• SolidSquid says:

afaik yes, you have to download apps from them unless you have a jailbroken ipad (which can screw the thing up)

25. danmac says:

What I find interesting is just how aggressive they are in trying to get that ad off the internet. I think I had to do about 3 searches before I found a working link. Imagine how much fun it is for their legal department to play internet link whack-a-mole with the video links that are constantly popping up.

I should upload the video as a torrent on piratebay…see how much fun they have that site take it down.

26. runswithscissors says:

When did upstart, creative, “damn the man” Apple – the company behind the 1984 ad – turn into the very soulless, drab, humorless, corporate overlord types that they were supposed to rebel against?

27. Mogbert says:

The part that bothers me isn’t the ad, or Apple’s apparent lack of a sense of humor. It was the part where Apple threatened to eject them from the app store… due to a commercial they made. That just seems to be strong arming, or something. It just strikes me as… darn, I can’t think of the word right now, not really illegal, or really immoral, but something along those lines…

• IThinkThereforeIAm says:

Agreed.
      Is there something in the AppStore user’s license stating that Apple can refuse your app for the reason of “we don’t like you?”
      Or is Apple clearly in violation of its own terms of use?

I hope more people will finally notice the problem Apple has recently become.

28. Geekmom says:

The old video is gone.

here’s a replacement.

29. dg says:

This is another reason why DRM is bad. So long as there’s DRM, companies can control every aspect of the device – to the detriment of others. What friggin business is it of Apple’s if someone wants to use the iPad as a fly swatter? The whole “Get rid of that ad, or we’ll pull your app” is a douche move.

If there were competition in the App store space, this bullshit wouldn’t be happening. I hope someone gets the balls to file an anti-trust action against Apple…

30. Concat says:

So now Apple is going to bully app developers outside the app world?

REMOVE ALL PCS FROM YOUR HOUSEHOLD OR WE’LL TERMINATE YOUR APP.

31. FrugalFreak says: