Passenger Spews On Greyhound, No One Mops It Up

Anyone who has taken the bus cross-country has some kind of unsavory story, but Angela’s got something that hopefully tops anything you’ve experienced. While riding on a Greyhound from Atlantic City to the New York Port Authority, someone yacked all over the floor and no one cleaned it up.

We’ll let Angela share the unsavory details:

Well, here’s a question I never thought I’d be asking: while traveling on a Greyhound bus, if one of the passengers ups and vomits through the center aisle of the bus, does Greyhound have any responsibility to pull the bus over and put the passengers on another bus? And/or clean that bus? Or is it sop for the bus to just keep driving for that last hour, with passengers breathing in the smell of vomit that is now rolling through the aisle on every turn?

I was on a Greyhound bus from Atlantic City to New York Port Authority last night. About an hour away from Port Authority a passenger sitting towards the middle of the bus just leaned over and vomited in the aisle, the length of a couple of rows of seats. And the passenger just…. left it there. This, of course, I do not blame on Greyhound.

What happened next, though, is the part that I question. The bus didn’t pull over, to put us all on a new bus. Ok, well it’s not like Greyhound can just pull a new bus out of thin air, right? Well, the bus didn’t pull over, to do some clean up our bus. Rather, the bus driver just kept going, for an hour long bus ride of the smell of vomit, and people (well, at least this passenger) almost hyperventilating due to mouth breathing. After an hour of that Port Authority has never smelled so good.

I already have an email in to Greyhound requesting a refund of this trip. Not for the vomit, actually, but rather because the 6:55, 7:00 and 7:30 buses all did not show up, so after getting on line at 6:30 for the (no show) 6:55 bus, we didn’t actually board a bus until the 7:50 bus arrived. One missing bus, ok. THREE missing buses? That gets
a request for a refund from me.

But I was wondering about the safety of the vomit- is there an agency that regulates Greyhound? And what is their policy/procedure for something like this? When I’m on the subway and someone vomits I can just move to another car. Was Greyhound required to get another bus to put us all on? This was my first Greyhound experience, but in all my years of living in NYC and taking Megabus and Bolt Bus I’ve never encountered this situation, so if I am unlucky enough to experience a ‘next time’ I want to know ahead of time what the bus company is required to do, if anything.

If you’re privy to vomit-cleansing protocol on private buses, or better yet, if you’ve got a bus story that’s nastier than Angela’s, please share.

Comments

1. Dalsnsetters says:

Just reading that–and imagining the bus ride–has made me want to vomit.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

2. JollyJumjuck says:

I don’t know if Greyhound bus drivers and garage staff are unionized and not allowed to clean vomit because it may take away from the cleaners’ jobs, or they just don’t get paid enough to deal with technicolor yawns.
    Of course, the three missing buses could be from barfing passengers and the drivers trying to clean up the mess.

3. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

It’s not a bus story, but I had to bring an acquaintance to the hospital emergency room one night last year. 10 minutes after our arrival, some people who were in a bar fight came into the ER. One of them was bleeding profusely. After a while, I needed to use the restroom (one of only two in the ER area and accessible to me), I went in and there was blood from the fighter everywhere. I used the other bathroom, but then went to the ER desk and told them of the situation. The orderly told me that someone would take care of it.

Throughout the night there were between three and eight staff members sitting at and around the desk chatting. Some were nurses or orderlies and a couple were other support staff. Around hour five, I needed to use the bathroom again, so I went to use the same one I had used before. There was someone in it, so I went to the other one. There was STILL blood (now mostly dried) on all of the surfaces. I went back to the front desk, where six staff members were sitting listing to one woman recap her date from the previous weekend. I told them about the bathroom and that it had been like that for almost five hours, and was told that they were “too busy” to take care of it at that time and that they’d let maintenance know and it would get cleaned “eventually.”

Needless to say, I held it until the other restroom was available.

It was really disgusting, especially at a hospital where sanitation should be a primary concern.

• Pax says:

And especially since blood is a freakin’ BIOHAZARDOUS MEDICAL WASTE.

The least they should have done, is go put an “Out of Order – Use Other Restroom” sign on the door.

• theirishscion says:

If this happens to anyone else in the future, my suggestion would be to take a couple cell phone photos of the bathroom in question. Then ask for the name of the charge nurse (the effective boss of that ward at that time.) Then ask to speak with them. Make it clear that you’ll be getting in touch with the hospital administration in the morning about this incident. You’ll be amazed at how quickly the situation gets rectified then.

You won’t win any friends, but I believe you’ll find they suddenly get quite interested in resolving the issue.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Um, is pissing off the nursing staff in the ER a good idea? I have a feeling their retribution might be a tad more severe than say, a line cook who spits in your food at a restaurant. Not that they’d necessarily do that but geez…do you want to take the chance?

• Dr.Wang says:

I work in a hospital ER and have had this happen on my shift. Let me explain the other side of that story. The “we are too busy” staff probably had no access to the janitor closet – it’s locked. The cleaning staff were upstairs cleaning patient rooms so the family of the complaining party could get admitted. Taking them away from that duty to clean the ER bathroom would only delay people being admitted. In my ER we have no “out of order” signs. As an RN i have no access to bathroom cleaning supplies and frankly probably would not do so anyway – that’s not why I went to college for 10 years. While I agree it should have been cleaned – if there was nobody at the time to do it right, making a big fuss over it will not get it done faster without delaying someone elses care. And every time I have been told there was blood all over the place somewhere it always turns out to be several drops here and there, not a chainsaw murder movie set like many people like to describe it. They were probably waiting for the regularly scheduled cleaning crew to show up and do that job correctly. It takes special stuff and training to properly clean up bodily fluids.

I would suggest if you were that put off by the mess, simply don’t ever return to that hospital. Vote with your wallet.

• cheezedawg says:

10 years of college?

• Robert Nagel says:

I agree, you are something special and shouldn’t be expected to to scullery work like the proles.

• DH405 says:

“Dr.” Wang,

You’re an RN. Why did that take 10 years? You can’t exactly throw your 10-year education in peoples’ faces like that when all you came out of it with was an RN gig. You know, a lot of people have their MDs in 7 years. Standard is 8. What were you doing, anyhow?

If someone has created a biohazard in an essential area of the hospital that your patients need access to, grab a mop. You’re not that special.

• Conformist138 says:

It takes special training to clean bodily fluids… and your 10 years of school for what is, at most, a 4-year degree didn’t cover that? And what hospital trusts doctors with people’s lives and not access to paper towels and Windex? I mean, it’s a hospital, messes happen far too often to let nurses feel above such cleaning duties. And even a few drops of blood should be paid attention to, because blood-born pathogens are a real possibility. At the very least, it’s creepy and off-putting to trust someone with your health when they can’t be bothered to make sure you have a reasonably clean place to piss.

And your comment on “voting with our wallets” at a HOSPITAL? I see that working out well the next time they need an ER: “No, Mr. Ambulance Driver, don’t take me to the closer ER to close this gaping wound, they had a dirty bathroom and I want to teach them a lesson!”

I can vote with my wallet when deciding where to go for dinner, not always the case with hospitals. More than a few people have insurance that demands they go to one hospital over another.

I question every qualification you have. I bet you aren’t even Asian.

• Karita says:

Wow. I’m an attorney – managed to get it done in 7 years – and I plunge toilets, clean up blood, urine etc. I’ve been known to pick up medical garbage from the parking lot too, if something goes wrong in the dumpster area. (We share a building with a bunch of doctors.) There’s no reason to leave it – I just make sure I have protective stuff on and let the night cleaning crew know that they need to concentrate on a specific area when they come in. There’s no excuse to leave that kind of a mess, no matter how much education you have. If you want to keep your clients/patients/customers happy and stay in business, sometimes you have to stoop down and do stuff that’s below you.

• Dr.Wang says:

10 years of college, yep. That’s called “part-time student”. Raising three sons and two Great Danes and putting up with a **tchy wife, working 2 jobs, paying tuition out of pocket, keeping up the house, and driving 80 miles round trip for school 3-4 days a week. That’s why it took 10 years (took 2 years off school to get a divorce during that decade too).
      And you cannot clean up blood with paper towels and windex. That’s why we are locked out of the janitor closet – we are required to call environmental services. Actually if that had happened to me instead of the OP if possible on the way out of the bathroom, I’d lock the door and pull it shut behind me.

4. Beeker26 says:

One of many reason why I will never set foot on a bus.

5. BocaMan says:

You won’t get a refund for the bus being late (please!). But if Greyhound wants any customer loyalty, they’ll give you a refund and maybe a free pass to AC. Next time, take the train (are they still running from PABT?).

6. Tim says:

is there an agency that regulates Greyhound?

That’d be the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration – http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov.

Not sure if Greyhound is required to clean up the vomit though. Notifying FMCSA might be worth a shot, though.

7. rpm773 says:

Well, here’s a question I never thought I’d be asking…

If interstate bus travel is your thing, such a preface is going to become obsolete rather quickly.

8. kylere1 says:

This is typical of Greyhound. I talked my mother into visiting a few years ago via Greyhound to save money, doing so made me a rotten son.

Bus on the way to Cincy from Michigan has two fistfights which the driver pointedly ignored.
    Bus went 300 miles with an overfull and spilling bathroom on the way home.

I traveled via Greyhound once after that, and had my initial travel plans completely disabled by the fact that they overbooked not one bus for the time scheduled but THREE buses of passengers. They deserve to fail as a business.

9. Rachacha says:

From a logistical aspect, continuing on to the final destination (or the next bus terminal) is probably the most expiditious way to rectify the situation. Here were the options that the bus driver had:

1) Pull over, evacuate the bus and wait for a new bus to be delivered. Minimum several hour delay, and dispatch is not going to be in a huge hurry to send out a new bus just because someone vomited. Priority is going to go to a bus that had some mechanical difficulty.

2) Pull over and have the bus driver clean up the mess. Again, a significant delay and it won’t really get rid of the smell, it will simply stop the ever expanding lake of vomit. When cleaming up bodily fluids, there are special procedures that employers (Greyhound) need to follow, and it is unlikely that they have outfitted every bus with all of the necessary materials to safely clean up the vomit. And really in all honesty, if you were a bus driver, would you want to clean up someone elses puke?

3) The passenger could clean it up. Depends on what condition the passenger was in. Were they suffering from motion sickness, food poisioning or some type of medical issue. Having kids who puke more frequently than an adult does, I can say that depending on the cause, they may not have been in a position to mop up the spill, but perhaps their companion, if they were traveling with one, should have.

4) Drive to the next terminal to have a cleaning creaw clean and sanatize the bus. It would seem as if this was the option that was taken.

• hoi-polloi says:

I was thinking the same thing. As disgusting as this may be, I’d rather get there and get off the bus rather than wait by the side of the road. Who knows if the driver is permitted or capable of doing any on-the-spot cleaning, and who knows how long it would take to get a replacement bus?

• packy says:

I agree with this as well. It seems as if the OP is forgetting that the only Greyhound employee on the bus during the ride is the driver, and if he stopped to clean the bus (assuming there were cleaning supplies on the bus) the bus would arrive even LATER than it already was.

As disgusting as the situation was, I don’t know that the driver had much choice. If only the bus windows opened…

• Conformist138 says:

I agree, but… The driver could have used the little intercom thingy to say “I understand you are uncomfortable, however we have no choice but to get to our next stop as quickly as the law and safety allows.” The driver just ignoring the situation is what caught my attention.

I am curious though about what Greyhound’s official policy is. This must happen enough that there is something in place besides “pretend it doesn’t exist and keep on truckin”

• Putaro says:

You should have some kind of response to bodily fluids on the bus. That kind of stuff spreads around as well. Just throwing some absorbent material on it would be a start so it’s not sloshing up and down the aisles.

10. Cantras says:

My mate drives for the city bus, and they have a) a red bucket that everyone knows is for exactly that purpose and b) a 10-code for vomit. They radio in that someone vomited in the bus, and someone in the office, or the dispatcher, or someone doing filler runs will come bring them a replacement bus. (Or a new bucket, if that’s all they need)

That’s city buses, but considering that the smell of vomit is a powerful trigger for further vomiting, I’d think they’d stop at the next stop, or pull over at the next rest stop or whatever to put people off while they at least make an effort.

• Rachacha says:

The difference here is that you are looking at protocol for a city bus that has thousands of passengers a day for very short durations and a central dispatch and bus depot that is probably at most 30 minutes away from any location they serve. In this case it is a Greyhound Interstate/cross country bus, where there are fewer busses to go around per square mile and available buses are several hours or days away.

11. Macgyver says:

“And the passenger just…. left it there.” Well, what is he supposed to do about it?

If the bus stopped to clean it up, or to change buses, people would probably still complain.
    It’s not like buses has cleaning supplies on it, so it couldn’t have been cleaned up anyway.

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

Oh I don’t know – make his way on back to the bathroom and get some towels to clean it up?

Not that I’d expect that out of approximately 99% of people who use Greyhound.

• Rachacha says:

It depends on what sort of physical shape the passenger was in. Thinking back to the last few times that I vomited (Flu/stomach bug and food poisioning). I was physically in no shape to do anything. I was lucky that I was able to get up and make it to the restroom, and on a couple occasions, I was only able to avoid a big mess on the floor because my 4 year old was kind enough to get me the “puke bucket” that we used when he was sick a few weeks earlier so I could set it on the table next to me just in case. While cleaning up their own mess would have been the right thing to do, it may have triggered more vomiting.

On the other hand, it may have simply been something minor. Just yesterday my kid was playing on the playground he spun around too much which caused him to feel miserable for a while, and eventually get sick. after he vomited, he was perfectly fine.

• aloria says:

If you’re sick enough to hurl on a bus, for whatever reason, you are probably not well enough to make it to the back of a moving bus to collect towels.

If the person threw up from motion sickness or drunkenness, trying to get up and move about is only going to make them hurl again.

12. Bluth_Cornballer says:

I’m sort of surprised that they didn’t at least have a bag of the kitty litter looking stuff that school janitors use in such occasions. One would think that barfing on buses is a pretty common occurrence.

13. philside92 says:

this happened to me a number of years ago, on my way from nyc to atlantic city. about 2 minutes in a toddler puked up a bag of cheetos, orange vomit all over the place. of course the driver didn’t stop to change buses, but he did stop 3 times to pick up more passengers.

14. Blooberriz says:

Youre supposed to sprinkle that smelly red sawdust all over it & think about your childhood days in elementary school where the wierd girl always got sick in class…

As an adult, when I throw up now- I usually go back to drinking more alcohol w/ the extra stomach space.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

OMG that brought back memories from grade school! We called ours “green oatmeal” and yes, there was one kid who always threw up (thank goodness it wasn’t me).

15. VicMatson says:

Don’t ride the bus, it’s that simple. If Greyhound has let their service degrade like that…walk! Stand in front of their depot with a sign to scare others about what they are in for!

16. swat1227 says:

The timing problem is par for the course for Greyhound in that area. In college, in one of my less logical moments, I decided to take the Greyhound from Easton, PA to Denver, CO. (Yes, that was two days on a bus.) I was glad I went down to the local bus station to purchase my tickets in person–the woman behind the counter noted that the 7:00pm bus NEVER stopped in Easton, although the schedule said it would. She said there were always at least five or six people stranded and needing to buy a new ticket because of that.

Never mind that because of this stupidity, I had to take a bus from Easton, PA, through New Jersey, to the Port Authority, and then take that bus to drive me back down through Easton to start my long journey to Denver.

Needless to say, I avoid Greyhound at all costs. (also other vignettes from the same trip: a woman tried to justify having her dog on board, two passengers broke out into a fistfight, and there are NUMEROUS examples of the whole bus being off-loaded at a stop for “cleaning”–and then coming back on, and seeing none of the trash that was on the floor even moved. It was absurd.)

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

HA! My last trip on Greyhound (to NYC) years ago found me seated next to a guy who I could only guess was a shellshocked WWII vet who kept fiddling with his transistor radio and mumbling to himself that “Jesus was a ‘city’ person”. Much better than the white supremacist reading “High Times” my asian friend was sitting next to though.

I thought the trip back wouldn’t be nearly as exciting, but boy was I wrong! The woman in the seat across the row from me prompted to stand up and call me a “cracker ass b*tch” at 4am because my feet were in the aisle.

Ahh, memories.

17. houseboat says:

At least no one lost their head over it…

18. quijote says:

For long distance travel, the greyhound is just too stressful. I took a trip on it from southern Florida to Minnesota, which lasted about 3 days. Being strung out from having hardly any sleep, and being cooped up in the dark with a constant flux of shifty strangers–some floridly psychotic–is just a nightmare. There are plenty of normal, friendly riders, of course. But I’d still rather spend a few days at a maximum security prison than on a greyhound.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Me too. 3-day cross country (well, halfway) trip. NEVER AGAIN. I’ll hitchhike before I get on a Greyhound bus!

19. EarthAngel says:

I once met Jesus on a Greyhound bus.

20. FilthyHarry says:

From personal experience I can tell you the NYC/AC bus line makes Mos Eisley look like High Society cotillion.

You’re lucky you’re alive.

21. rookie says:

I got laid on a bus from St. Louis to Norfolk…

22. Wysguy says:

I didn’t notice it, but did anyone bother to actually TELL the driver someone yakked?

• aloria says:

Exactly, if it were the back of the bus it’s completely possible the smell didn’t make it up front, or the driver assumed it was normal Greyhound bus stank.

23. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Greyhound buses (and charter buses in general) ALWAYS smell like vomit. I think its the air freshener that they use. But my experience riding a multitude of different companies and brands in Middle, High School, and College marching band is that one unifying factor – the vomit smell.

24. shibainu33 says:

A long while ago, when I took a Greyhound for an 8 hour trek from Denver to Hays, KS, I sat behind a woman and baby. The mother would change the babies diapers, but not dispose of them on a stop. Absolutely disgusting!

The driver should have pulled over!

25. oldgraygeek says:

I hate to stick up for Greyhound, but I grew up in Atlantic City… I’m surprised that every passenger on that bus didn’t blow chunks after being there.

26. Ted3 says:

Someone spewed on the Light rail here last week. They cleared that car and you could still smell it a couple of cars up. At least the people from the transit agency did something about it. I feel for the folks on this greyhound bus. Even though it was just an hour, I’m sure it felt longer dealing with that smell. Next time, just take alternative transportation, such as NJ transit, Megabus, etc. Greyhound sucks, period and this article is simply a reminder of that.

Hey..at least you were not on a long plane ride.

27. aloria says:

What was the poor passenger supposed to do? I don’t think most people carry “just in case I hurl” cleaning supplies. I suppose he could have asked around to see if anyone had any napkins or paper towels on them, but honestly, when I have been sick on a moving vehicle, the last thing I want to do is move around and potentially exacerbate my nausea.

28. djshack says:

I was on a newish MBTA bus in Boston (the T), which, if anyone lives in Boston, are known to be dirty and possibly old and falling apart.

A woman was sitting on a seat facing inward to the aisle and vomited all over the aisle, and almost on the people sitting across from her. At the next stop, she got off, and the driver actually got up and placed a bunch of copies of the Metro (our free worthless daily paper) on the vomit, to at least cover it up.

I kind of expected nothing from the driver, but once I saw him do this, I was pretty sure this is how the bus would remain for the duration of it’s routes that day.

Now, this is a crappy city bus in Boston that costs $1.50 to ride. The fact that an MBTA driver put more effort into covering up vomit than a Greyhound driver is simply shocking. And disgusting and repulsive.

I always hated Greyhound and tried to avoid it at all costs in the past, and this will only reassure me that I’m making the right decision avoiding it.

29. MacGyver says:

I knew a guy who cleaned Greyhound buses. He refused to clean a bus that came out of NYC, it was so disgusting in so many ways. Caused quite a kafuffle all the way up to Greyhound HQ that he wouldn’t do it! He said the ones coming out of NYC were always really bad.

30. Three Word Chant says:

It’s all well and good to get on the OP by saying “what was the driver/passenger supposed to do?” While there may not have been a solution..it seems pretty reasonable for the OP to ask what she was supposed to do as well.

Considering the relative state of Atlantic City (and certainly the Port Authority), I can’t imagine that the transit between the two should smell any differently than she experienced.

31. dg says:

Greyhound… Leave the driving to us!

Leave the mopping and puke cleaning to someone else…

32. Harmodios says:

A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure. (Margaret Thatcher)

33. BrownEyes says:

It’s bodily fluid, the same as blood, and could be contagious with some disease. I’m not sure whether it’s the responsibility of the bus driver though or what the procedure should have been. I just know it should have been cleaned up immediately, by somebody.

I want to barf just thinking about it.

34. sopmodm14 says:

b/c its a bodily fluid PPP health protocols must be followed in addressing the situation…..but if it chooses not to be addressed, well, then….

the bus driver has a deadline to meet as per the company

they probably have a clause that they can do everything they can within their control…they can’t control if someone pukes, but they could’ve done incident control a bit better

• u1itn0w2day says:

I’m thinking hazmat myself. They should be turned into the DOT for simply improperly transporting human waste(the spew)/hazardous waste. I don’t know what venue or city you would turn them into for a health violation being they traveled through many-the final destination?

35. organicgardener says:

I know a local city bus driver who says that they’re trained to consider it a HazMat-type situation where they have to call in for cleanup immediately.

• organicgardener says:

And you’d be surprised how often oldsters poop their pants on the bus. That’s a HazMat-type situation as well.

36. howie_in_az says:

Did anyone tell the driver someone puked or was everyone passive about the situation?

37. aaron8301 says:

I once rode a Greyhound for about 700 miles – Salt Lake City to Lewiston, Idaho. In my time, I’ve also hitchhiked a total of about 700 miles – all in December and January. If given the choice, I’d much rather hitchhike than take a goddamn Greyhound.

So long as I’m properly dressed , my thumbs work just fine. I’ll even pitch in for gas – I certainly don’t intent to freeload, I just hate the big dog.

• mrgrim257 says:

I have ridden greyhound many times and had some interesting experiences once the ac went out in the middle of summer on the way to Portland it was 100+ and stifling in there and no they didn’t call a back up bus we just kept going. Another time I saw one of the greyhound buses pulling out of the rest stop ahead of us doping luggage all the way i saw at least 3 or 4 suitcases hit the dirt i was so glad it wasn’t my stuff. Another time they got the whole bus loaded up and then found out the battery was dead so they had to repack all the stuff and move us to another bus delaying my trip by a good 45 mins and they didn’t skip breaks to make up the time either. But the fact is its a cheap way to travel i have never had any problems with any of the passengers though there have been more than a few shady characters i just listen to my music and take the window seat and try and enjoy the ride.

38. edicius is an acquired taste says:

Huh, I thought this was normal on Greyhound. Happened on a bus I was on maybe 10 years ago (a vomit situation) and I just thought that was business as usual.

Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me on NJ Transit a few months ago. That was horrendous, but it was late and I was exhausted, so I just held my breath and moved to another car.

39. Krislee98 says:

a significant point missing here is the possibly of transmission through bodily fluids. I have had several jobs where we’ve had specific training on how to clean up said bodily fluids because they pose a health risk. So in addition to the folks who regulate Greyhound, you may be looking at options with OSHA or the Department of Health in the states you traveled through.

In the (remarkably midwestern) state that I live in, if we don’t address ie. at least neutralize bodily fluids within a certain time period, we can face liability for anyone who gets sick.

40. ekim says:
  41. lchen says:

In college, coming home from east Tennessee(visiting the bf) to NYC , two guys were drinking on the bus which the driver took notice and called out. He pulled over and waited for state troopers to take these men off the bus. While most the passengers got off, I had no idea what was happening at the time. I wanted to keep my two seats and stayed on board. The two men were angry and didn’t want to go. One of the men moved up to the seat across from me and pulled out a knife(4 or 5in blade) and gave the seat in front of him a stab while looking right at me. I didn’t react and wasn’t really panicking, maybe slightly concerned. A few more minutes later, the troopers came and the men surrender rather quickly and quietly.

42. fuceefacee says:

Same thing happens on Amtrak. I have ridden Amtrak on three different occasions with the bathroom backed up and leaking out the door. No one on the crew bothered to do anything about it. It’s only one of the reasons they lost my business. Rude employees and being habitually late being the others.

43. Tongsy says:
  44. Mclick says:

You have to be kidding me that you are complaining about a little vomit. Just deal with it. Is the bus driver supposed to pull over, pull a bucket, mop and running water out of thin air to clean it up. The passenger that barfed should clean up their own mess. Do you honestly expect them to send another bus because someone got sick on there?

I was barfed on in a school bus when I was a kid. We just left my puke covered jacket in the seat and everyone moved around so as to not be around the smell. Suck it up.

45. ahleeeshah says:

I had to get from LA to TX for my sister’s baby shower on short notice with no car. I decided to take a train, which I thought would be exciting. The first leg of the train trip involved a bus ride of about an hour and a half to get to the train station. I sat next to a man who had a pair of panties pressed to his nose for the entire ride.

I was glad to get off that and on to the train, and even more glad to get off the train in Dallas. I had to wait for my sister a while, so I stopped in the bathroom, where a woman was on the floor, not moving. I ran out and grabbed the first employee I saw, a female custodian, who grabbed some security officers. They went in, figured out that the woman was dead, went out, told the custodian she was her problem now, and walked away.

Oh, someone also tried to sell me cocaine.

46. skapig says:

Greyhound seems to care less and less about the customer experience as time progresses. It can get scary bad.

However, the nature of bus travel is that they are at the mercy of traffic conditions. There is no magical fix. If you’re traveling at a time of day with heavy traffic, then be prepared. You have to free up a lot of time if you’re going to be taking the bus because chances of a delay (or not fitting) are good.