Man Runs Away From Being Fat, Loses 120 Lbs

Ben Davis was 348 lbs and depressed. At the bottom of his hole and sick of being single, he called up his brother and said, “I need to get my life together.” His brother said, “All right, I’m signing us up for a 5k. It’s in three weeks.”

Ben began training. At first he could only hobble around the track, and only two to three times a week. It killed his ankles and calves. But he kept at it and on race day, he showed up to the start line.

“I jogged (very slowly) the entire thing, and finished. It was a huge moment, and I was hooked,” he told examiner.com.

He became addicted to runner’s high, watching the pounds tick off, and the thrill of self-improvement. And over the next year, he lost 120 pounds. Here’s a video of his journey:

Takeaways:

Make your goals public – Ben started a blog bendoeslife.tumblr.com
Enlist friends and family – He did races with his father and brother
Find your delta and multiply by time – He started slowly at first, incrementally increasing his amount of physical activity
Any major change is going to suck at first – it took about 1 or 2 months before his knees and calves stopped screaming out for mercy
And the hardest of all – Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can pull yourself back up.

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“Ben Davis was 348 lbs and depressed.”

Funny, he’s looks pretty happy in the picture. Possibly moreso than when we was lighter.

• fs2k2isfun says:

Depressed people smile sometimes too.

• watch me boogie says:

Do people really still believe that depressed people never smile?

It’s disheartening to see the ignorance about this still.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It was a joke!! I’m a happy fat person. Not happy about being fat, however.

• watch me boogie says:

Gotcha – was hard to infer via text. Glad you’re happy! Not glad you’re not happy about being fat. Hope you can be happy with your body someday.

• bendavis401 says:

Hey guys, thanks for watching. As far as the smiling picture, that was about a week into the journey and I had already started feeling tons better. It’s crazy how quickly your mentality starts to change. It’s not like you have to wait until the end results to start to feel better. It happens instantly after you make the decision.

• KingPsyz says:

Well yeah, don’t you know all us fattys are jolly and stuff? (^_^)

• Mr.Grieves says:

Some people actually try to smile for the camera, hard to believe I know.

Also magazine ads with before and afters, specifically TELL the model to look sad and depressed in the before and jubiliant and photoshopped in the after.

• Alex F. says:

Could it be because he had rounder face, bigger chin, and his eyes were semi-closed – all makes him look happier (even though it is because of the fat). Actually I’m also exactly like that – I even looks a bit smily when I’m not smiling at all.

2. hotdogsunrise says:

He’s standing a little stiffly in the “after” picture, but this dude is freaking hot.

3. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

If not for a really bad foot injury, I’d still be running. I miss those runner’s highs.

• SuperSnackTime says:

I get them biking as well, although its a slightly different feeling. Maybe you could still bike without hurtin’ that foot of yours? Not sure.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Thankfully, I turned to heroin.

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

My brother broke 1/2 the bones in his foot snowboarding, so he looked to other exercise. He took up swimming and biking, both of which were really gentle on his foot. Then he began walking, jogging, up to running over a couple of years and with the help of really good orthodics.

Don’t focus on a bum foot – work with it!

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

MissDev, SuperSnackTime,

I still exercise quite a bit– bike at least twice a week and go to the gym two or three times a week. I just find that no matter how hard I push myself to pedal, I never quite get the same feeling I got when I ran 10K or more.

Still, nothing like lifting until my arms feel like jelly. It’s a nice second.

• Kino Escalate says:

I ran up to three miles a day and still never got that runners high. Is the feeling anything like salt n’ pepper potato chips nirvana? Cause that feels pretty sweet.

I stopped running and started doing P90X, which isn’t as satisfying afterward as a run, so I started running again, hoping to eventually find that high of which everyone speaks.

4. rpm773 says:

At the bottom of his hole and sick of being single..

You lost all that weight. Don’t get married now. You gotta swing, baby!

5. ktetch says:
  6. MickeyG says:

I’m definitely using him as my inspiration :) Saw the video the other day and it’s helped me not give up!

7. wkm001 says:

Great job Ben!!! Now go see a nutritionist if you haven’t already. It is easy to eat more calories than you burn in a day. Even if training for a marathon. You can’t run forever and I would hate to see you get that heavy again.

• ptr2void says:

Second the nutritionist…helped me IMMENSELY!

• MikeB says:

Third-ed. I started a program, Take a Ton off in Ten weeks, given by a couple certified nutritionists and lost 16 pounds in the 10 weeks. About 18 months later I was down just over 80 pounds, started at 283, and have never been happier. I started running last year and within 3 months ran my first 5k and got a respectable time of 29:47. I ran off and on over the summer, too damn hot here, and am getting ready to run another 5k. The runners high is a great high, especially being able to kick it up when the finish line is in sight.

• Julia789 says:

Remember to make sure that “nutritionist” is a Registered Dietician licensed in your state. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist – anyone at all – even some guy at the gym. Only Registered Dieticians are safe.

Beware people with fake “nutrition degrees” through correspondence courses of anyone who attended “Clayton College of Natural Health” (a shoddy diploma mill) or similar online schools. They cannot be licensed at Registered Dieticians.

Registered Dieticians are the only safe choice, they need a minimum 4-year accredited degree as well as state licensing. “Nutritionists” that are not registered dieticians can be extremely dangerous and prescribe quack diets.

8. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

f y’r gng t ls pnds bcs y wnt t mt grls, kp n mnd tht t’ll wrk, bt y’r nl gng t ttrct vpd cnts. rll hps h tks th “y wldn’t fck m whn ws ft” strtg s h cn mt th grl/g/ln h rll dsrvs.

• Why is this on Consumerist? says:

A little bitter there?

• Karita says:

Hey, I feel the same way as a female. I lost a lot of weight, and will not have anything to do with guys that make cracks about fat chicks. It’s not cool. I’ve always been the same person, and always will be the same person. The person that didn’t look past my weight, even on the off-chance that we could have been platonic friends, is not someone I want to waste my time with,

• Dutchess says:

I’ve been there. I lost a ton of weight and suddenly people that ignored me before were all over me. They were only interested in one thing. So to call them vapid, is an accurate statement.

I don’t blame them for being attracted to a healthier, skinnier person. I do fault them for being superficial assholes who look for nothing more than a tight ass.

You find out real fast who your real friends are and which ones were just there for the ride. :-)

• Brink006 says:

Yeah, because the lack of desire to date someone who would wheeze from a jog around the block makes for an empty person.

• Karita says:

It’s not that at all. There are plenty of people that won’t even give a heavy person the time of day, let alone date them. I was sick and put on a lot of weight very quickly, and noticed the difference immediately. It was not easy to meet people – and I had a boyfriend, I wasn’t looking to date. Then I got put on medicine, lost the weight quickly, and notice the difference again. People pay attention to me now.

People are a lot more open to expressing prejudices when they are posting anonymously online, but they certainly don’t act significantly nicer in person.

• the atomic bombshell says:

Just because you’re fat, doesn’t mean you’re unhealthy. FFS. I’m not thin (probably fat by some definitions), but I can run 5k and bike 50 just fine.

• Clyde Barrow says:

so,,,,you wanna go out on a date? =)

• MotorboatJones says:

“I do fault them for being superficial assholes who look for nothing more than a tight ass.”

That’s a bad thing? Tight asses are nice to squeeze and play with.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I think Applekid’s point, though harshly worded, is that if he’s losing weight to get dates that means he’s trying to date people who avoided him when he was heavy and probably very shallow. (OK, Applekid’s point is that they are definitely shallow)

I’d think that someone who lost the weight would end up resenting anyone they dated who had turned them down earlier because of their size. At the very least you’d have to worry that they’d leave if it ever looked like you gained any of it back.

• Conformist138 says:

I’ve lost 100lbs and, as a girl, the standards of beauty are a tad stricter. I had to finally admit that the reason I was unattractive to men was less that I was heavy and more the subconscious cues I was sending- that I didn’t respect myself enough to moderate my intake, that I was too lazy to get off the couch, etc. Even if these things weren’t true, it was still the image I was projecting. Now, I won’t look twice at someone who’s a jerk about it and wouldn’t start hitting on the guys who told me things like “I can’t love you if you’re fat” (seriously, it happened). But, I can’t say that every guy who would have been turned off by me is a shallow jerk. My body was not physically attractive or healthy and it was obvious to anyone who saw me. I can’t blame someone for not being interested in the person I was before.

I won’t date someone too heavy for many of the same reasons now- I’ve been there and don’t want the temptation of going back. If a man is running around with energy and practicing good eating habits, I would be concerned if he was still really obese. Not just overweight, but like Ben’s before picture up there- no way could anyone looking like that say they have genuinely been trying everything. If they are, there’s a serious medical problem that needs to be addressed.

In the end, what we are attracted to is personal. Some people like their partner to be smaller, others larger. We aren’t all going to love the looks of everyone and that is OK, there’s still someone for everyone.

• macruadhi says:

I have to disagree with you a bit, there are tons more attractive girls than there are attractive guys. Girls can get away with a few, or several extra pounds whereas a guy just looks a slob at 20, 30, 40 pounds overweight. To summarize, girls have curves, guys shouldn’t.

• EarlNowak says:

You’re just jealous of that skinny nerd, Orange Kid. :D

• Rachacha says:

Looking at the “after” photo, and looking at myself (10 lbs lighter than he is) and I can say that 228lbs is not super thin and fit. The guy in the photo does not have obvious muscular arms, and does not have 6 pack abs (neither do I). I don’t think that he is going to be drawing in the super attractive women who only care about looks, but losing 120lbs is going to give him more confidence to go up to someone and start talking, a typical person will leave the door open a bit and engage in a conversation before shutting him woen or opening up the door a bit to more conversation. The “i only care about you looks” women still won’t talk to him because he does not provide sufficient arm candy (i.e. no defined muscles).

Congrats to the man. and I hope that he can continue to reach his goals.

• s0s has a chewy nougat center says:

Six-pack abs aren’t really a sign of health or fitness. They’re the sign of someone who does a ton of sit-ups to build those particular muscles. Take a look at the physical differences between a body-builder, who pretty much competes when they’re at their weakest and has completely depleted any fat reserves, and the competitors in strong-man competitions. The latter tend to be bigger, have less outward definition, even look “fat.” They’re also the sort of people who could probably go out and wrestle bears in the mountains.

Six-packs can look okay, but they’re also carefully constructed and not as natural as the alternative. (They kinda gross me out, personally, if they’re too defined. This guy’s stomach, though, I’d be all over. But that’s personal preference.)

• photoguy622 says:

I don’t know about that. I certainly don’t do a ton of sit-ups. I only work abs once a week from 30 minutes and squeeze in a couple of sets of ten crunches on other days. Building abdominal muscles isn’t hard, seeing them is. It’s hard to remove a sufficient amount of abdominal fat to reveal them.

I agree though, too intense looking six packs, are too intense…

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

In the interview he said he was in college and that can be an exceptionally overwhelming time for people. You’re surrounded by thousands of people, some of whom seem to always be popular, always get dates, and it can exacerbate any existing self esteem problems. I have no doubt that larger people can attract people who have great personalities and who can appreciate others for who they are but anyone who has ever felt inadequate about themselves knows that it’s not easy to make friends or get dates when you’re carrying those feelings. He comes off as a guy who was unhappy with his weight and not getting dates or being in a relationship was the most overt association he could make to explain why he was perpetually single. I mean, he comes off as totally normal so it probably wasn’t his personality.

• evnmorlo says:

People who are attracted to or who overlook fat are perverted. Obesity is a huge liability when it comes to reproduction. (Not that perversion is bad, but raging against normal people turned off by fat is ridiculous)

• hattrick says:

Yes and no. I wouldn’t date an obese person for the same two reasons I wouldn’t date a smoker–I find it physically unattractive, and I think it shows they’re not taking care of themselves what I think is a really mission-critical way.

It would make me nervous about their decision-making process around very important things. I’m not saying I would shun them or be mean to them or wouldn’t be their friend, that’s ridiculous and wrong. But if you’re talking a serious this-could-lead-to-marriage-and-kids relationship, I would be extremely nervous linking my future to someone whose health issues I would have to be responsible for, and who isn’t thinking long-term when it comes to a very important thing like their health. And, fairly or not, I’d take it as a sign that they aren’t thinking long-term about other important things as well. Also, I think being physically attracted to the person you are having a physical relationship with is important, and for me it would be hard, romantically, to get past cigarette smoke smell or the kind of obesity we’re looking at in photo 1.

YMMV on this–you may think other things are much better indicators of the kinds of qualities you want in a life partner, and you’re probably right for the kind of life you want. And I totally admit that physical attractiveness is a very personal thing, and one person’s dealbreaker is another person’s “why in the world would you care about THAT? Have you seen how gorgeous her eyes are?”

But I’m sorry, you’re not necessarily a vapid and shallow person because you almost certainly wouldn’t have dated this guy when he was obese and you would now.

• alisonann says:

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Being unsuccessful at losing weight != not caring about your health.

That doesn’t make sense.

9. Grogey says:

Probably one of the hardest things to loosing any weight as I have found even if its only ten pounds has got the be the life style change. If your used to being sedentary its hard to get on board and get active, even food changes can are hard. If its eating more fruits and vegetables or even cutting certain things out it can be expensive and hard to do.

10. Nighthawke says:

I hope he took a physical before he started this new regimen. Stories abound of people diving into something like this and winding up in the ER from a coronary.

• killianzim says:

Yeah, this is a great story, but I hope he spoke to a physician first. A heart attack would set back weight loss plans.

11. FatLynn says:

There’s a great program called “couch to 5K” that works well for people who need to start slow.

• devwar says:

It works okay. I started doing it and I hadn’t run in ages. It starts out fairly slow, but it accelerates far too quickly. One week has you jogging 9 min and walking 9 min, the next week has you jogging 16 min and only walking for 5. Works better if you don’t consider them ‘weeks’ but consider them as ‘levels’ instead, and only progress if you succeed at the previous.

• cheepers says:

i really liked c25k! i’m not sure where you got your version of the program but week 2 for me was alternating between 90 seconds of running and two minutes walking, repeated six times. which isn’t that horrible of a step up. The good thing about the program was that it was more of a guideline to get you to push yourself, but I never felt bad about repeating weeks if i had to.

12. cunnij says:

that could be me but right now I have to finish these peanut butter cups on my desk…

13. DoubleBaconVeggieBurger says:

I hate this guy for being able to jog his first 5k. It seriously took me months of training to finally get there this past weekend, and I’m not overweight. ::considers picking up a different fitness activity::

• hotdogsunrise says:

Keep running. You will improve, I promise.

• iopsyc says:

agreed. I suffered through my first 5k, just barely keeping up with my sister who tricked me into running with her. just a couple years later I had completed 2 marathons…it was slow in comparison to some of my friends, but it was a vast improvement over what i could previously do.

• the atomic bombshell says:

Don’t worry, I’m a hugely awful runner too. I don’t mind so much, I enjoy it anyway. As long as I finish my 5k, I’m pleased.

14. Vanilla5 says:

Bravo, Ben – and congratulations on your new found happiness!

(Also – bloody nipples?)

• Grogey says:

The next step up from chaffing.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You’re running, and you’ve got tits. You’re a man, but you still have tits. Not just nipples….. man tits. And you’re running. Up and down, up and down. Yeah, it’s gonna chaff like a mo-fo.

Women get bras, men get bloody nipples.

• MissMostlyMittens says:

It’s from the shirt constantly chaffing you when you run long distances. A lot of marathoners experience this, some who are heavier get bloody thighs as well. They make anti chaffing creams that are supposed to help.

15. ptr2void says:

Good job, Ben! I was about the same weight as Ben (at 6′ 1″) when I made a lifestyle change — to fend off Type 2 diabetes — and lost 160 pounds. Man, it sucks when you DON’T get that endorphin rush like Ben, but obviously it’s doable with perseverance. Keep up the good work!

16. Joe_Bloe says:

I’m working on the same project. I’ve lost 50 lbs since my heaviest; about 30 lbs since January. I just ran my first race, a half-marathon in DC. I was slow (2 hrs 30 min), but I’m hoping to drop my times.

• jvanbrecht says:

National Harbor half marathon this past Sunday??

I volunteered at that, was one of the beer guys on the sunny side of the trailer.

Congrats on finishing (even if it was another race)

• Joe_Bloe says:

No, it was the Parks Half-Marathon in MD, but thanks for volunteering! I made sure to thank everyone who was volunteering for our race. Since I was pretty much bringing up the rear, the volunteers were looking pretty haggard standing out in the rain for hours. When they would clap and cheer us on, I’d say “right back at you — hang in there, you’re almost done!”

• jvanbrecht says:

My wife is a board member on the PGRC (Prince Georges running club)… I get volunteered for these things all the time :) It’s not a bad deal though.. except getting up at the crack of dawn. I am a cyclist, as such, I appreciate the volunteers there as well considering I’m kind of a slacker and out of shape so I usually towards the middle to the end, never up front in anything heh.

• lemur says:

Congrats on finishing the race! I admire the guts it takes to run in an event like this.

I actually volunteered for the Parks Half-Marathon, providing comms for the SAG bus which was initially stationed at water stop number 5.

17. qbubbles says:

I guess I’m a chubby chaser. *shrugs shoulders*

18. PLATTWORX says:

This is how it works. You are depressed because you are heavy (can’t get a date and not popular) so you eat to dull the pain which only makes you heavier and makes the problem worse. I’ve been there.

• Outrun1986 says:

This is a problem however in my case I would just eat more because I was hungry and my stomach was rumbling for food. I think a lot of people are just eating the wrong things. I don’t even know anyone in my life who has my new eating habits, because most people live off junk foods that come in packages and processed food out of the grocery freezer and McDonalds. Pretty much no one at least here eats healthy (and they feed their kids tons and tons of garbage food). I cut out HFCS and that solved my problem, and I am no longer hungry constantly (had I only known this was the problem sooner).

The problem is that when you are hungry you just keep eating and I do find it aggravating that I was getting hungry every hour or so. Its just REALLY EASY to allow eating to turn into more eating, if one hamburger doesn’t fill you up you eat 2, and then soon 2 doesn’t fill you up so you eat 3, and so on and in the process you are gaining weight without even realizing it, until your clothes don’t fit anymore. Eventually you get to the depressed part after that.

19. EBone says:

I’m not teary…there’s something in my eye…

20. Hoss says:

Inspiring. But see a doc before doing something similar!

21. HogwartsProfessor says:

Good for him!

I don’t mind if a guy is a little pudgy, but when I look at someone the size he was, I see health problems down the road, if he doesn’t have them already. I don’t want my partner to drop dead on me.

Yes, it’s nice to date “arm candy,” but a lot (not all) of very attractive people get spoiled by the attention. I like nerds anyway. A big brain is very sexy. :)

• Outrun1986 says:

I have to agree here too, I wouldn’t date a fat guy because chances are he is going to eat a lot, and when your partner eats a lot, so do you. Its just something that happens automatically, and if you are healthy before you started dating him, you will become unhealthy because he will pull you in with his eating habits. There is enough food out there to resist I do not need my partner bringing home more of it for me to have to resist. A girl would have to have amazing willpower to be able to resist the wrath of a guy who eats a lot. Then you will end up with the same health problems the fat guy has. This is probably the reason why a lot of skinny girls don’t want to date really fat guys, because they don’t want to become fat.

• Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

Yes, because women are mindless automatons that simply must mimic their overlords, er, mates, and can’t ever think for themselves or regulate their hunger or behavior. Got it.

22. CookiePuss says:

Ohhhhh Ben Ben Ben. Why all the running? Just put a carrot vending machine in your closet and don’t drink chocolate milk. Pretty soon you’ll be so buff you can start shaving all that body hair off and getting pedicures! :P

I kid. Congrats on losing 120lbs and good luck finding a 120lb woman to replace the void. Kind of like the bag of sand/gold statue scene from Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

23. photoguy622 says:

Awesome!

Why is he so scrunched up in the shoulders in the after picture though, is he trying to hide possible moobs?

Anyways, if you want to see a really crazy lifestyle change, check out http://www.theantijared.com

• Cry Havoc says:

I was noticing that too. Maybe his posture is screwed up from his past weight. He had to hold all that up, but now that it’s not there he stands weird?

24. Cantras says:

It’s interesting to look at posts from a year ago or more and try to judge how many “wh is ths n cnsmrst” stories there were then as compared to now. (September 09 actually also included a guy losing a lot of weight, but that was a reader so it’s a bit of a community shout-out.)

If there’s a consumer angle — the best I can think of is comparing weight loss to shedding debt, with those same takeaways, though the top two-thirds of this story would be a bit superfluous — could you at least put it in the summary and make it look like you’re being on-topic?

Grats dude and all — Losing weight is a bitch and I’m glad this guy found a healthy, effective, enjoyable way to do it. I’d just expect this on reddit or some less-lulz-based version of daily what, not on a website based on consumer issues.

• PhiTauBill says:

I would have to assume that general health status has a positive long-term correlation on the wallet. You generally have to eat less, spend less on the doctor, etc… but I am just an “n” of 1.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I’m actually surprised there haven’t been more “Why is this here” comments considering the number of stories that are clearly consumer related that get that complaint.

If there’s a consumer bent it’s in this part:

Q. Did you eat any particular way?
      A. For the most part, I just made better choices. Less eating out, more grocery shopping. At first, I counted calories, but kind of phased that out after I had a handle on what everything was “worth” nutrient-wise. Just an overall better attitude. Nothing insane.

Different consumer decisions for weight loss vs some fad diet thing.

• Cantras says:

I kindof suspect there’ve been fewer negatives because it’s an inspiring story.

I’m not saying the story has zero consumer bent. You and PhiTauBill both have points of relevancy. But I’d like to see the consumer bent listed in the article. Even in the comments, besides this and CookiePuss’s crack about carrot vending machines a few above mine, there haven’t been any comments with a consumer bent either.

I don’t like being the cnsmrst spoilsport. I’m not trolling, I don’t get some sort of self-righteous glee out of this. I just don’t come to consumerist for stories about some guy losing weight and 80-odd comments about weight loss and diets and shallow chicks.

25. Mundo says:

I am honestly jealous that he accomplished all this within a year, whereas I’ve been perpetually stuck at 160~lbs for almost 2 years now (down from 184 last year, trying to get down to 150).

Still, it all comes down to the same thing; just do it. I wish I can make my younger siblings see that, instead of having them wait for some sort of “sign” that should convince them to get active in their lives.

26. Thyme for an edit button says:

My boyfriend did this too. He just went and started running. Now he is hooked on it. Lost a bunch of weight. Very proud of him and inspired by him :-)

27. peebozi says:

I can relate with Ben.

I was up to 186 two years ago (I’m 6′), and disgusted with myself, but with running 2-3 times most months and a little thing I like to call “portion control”, I’m now down to 178 and living the life I could only dream of 2 years ago!!

I hope our stories are an inspiration to everyone!!!

Nice job, Ben!

28. civicmon says:

I’ve lost 110lbs in the past two years. I went from 300 lbs -> 190lbs and went from doing nothing to training for a half-marathon. I ran 8 miles yesterday, for example. It’s not rocket science. This guy did almost what I did except I started altering my diet first. I went from size 44 -> 34 pants and this past summer I’ve really ramped up my running (after a nasty calf injury last fall) and lost nearly 40lbs this summer alone.

All it takes is getting up and starting to do something physical to change your life. I don’t understand what people find hard about that. Doesn’t take a pill or celebrity to push it, just 30 minutes, a few days a week.

Good for this guy for taking charge of his life!

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I don’t understand what people find hard about that.

I find that difficult to believe given how much weight you claim you lost. 110lbs over two years and you’re going to say that it wasn’t hard to do and you don’t understand why anyone has trouble losing weight?

• Skankingmike says:

Seriously? You have no idea what people may or may not have emotionally inside them from any number of things that prevent them from accomplishing what you claim to be so easy.

From self defeatists attitudes to stress. people are forced to live the lives they are dealt, for better or worse. Perhaps simply running isn’t an option for somebody who has asthma or other lung conditions. Perhaps they have slip disks or other complications which prevent them from most effective forms of exercise. Diet is great if you can afford the food. Cooking is an art form not everybody is able to preform and preparing positive meals each day is not always an option for those who either lack said skill or lack time or money.

Perhaps their depression is chemically inhibiting them to preform these acts and need pharmacology yet their upbringing or culture denies these types of treatments.

The problem you seem to have, is becoming an epidemic or perhaps always was? In that they see only themselves and relate their own feats to that of others. I can do it so there for anybody can. I know of a guy who can do something so there for all must do it.

Generalization and causality to actuality are hugely over stated especially when dealing with complex social, political, economical, mental, and physical issues people are subjected to on a daily bases.

I am excited for you in your accomplishments please do not demean the inner workings of other who “fail” in your eyes to meet your expectations.

• civicmon says:

I won’t really bother identifying all the silly points in your post but if you really knew me, you’d realize that I do fit most of what you put in there.

And my mom owns a bakery. Yeah, the cards were stacked against me. Should I mention that my dad lost 50lbs himself? Oh and my mom… she lost over 60lbs.

Not rocket science people. Don’t rationalize excuses.

29. smo0 says:

I’d hit it.

30. mcmunchkin says:

I love this story. I also ran away from being fat, about 15 years ago, although it took me about 2 months to get up to 3 miles. I’m still running, and still not fat.

And dude, he’s totally cute. I’d hit it.

31. shufflemoomin says:

Good for him, but I’ve never seen a more obvious ‘sucking in the gut’ picture than that ‘after’ picture. It’s sad you can’t be proud of what you’ve achieved and feel the need to cheat to look better.

32. shufflemoomin says:

Also, there’s a massive smell of viral advertising around here. Anyone else smell that?

33. guru232 says:

Making your goals public is huge. I started a blog that I shared with friends and family relating to my weight loss goals and the thought of having to post about eating a dessert or skipping a workout keeps me from giving in.

Way to go Ben, you are an inspiration to those of us trying to get into shape.

34. bosozoku says:

I guess he doesn’t have the obesity virus anymore.

Nice work guy, I should give it a shot.

35. Sam Rabin says:

Can someone please clarify what Ben means by “Find your delta and multiply by time?” The use of the word “delta” is something that I feel has gotten lost in translation from its origin in scientific notation to its widespread use by the technorati.

36. Tonguetied says:

I don’t know. I’ve seen folks who can run Marathons who still have the extra pounds. There’s truth to the saying “working up an appetite.”

But good for him!

37. scotchguard says:

Congrats, Ben. What you did is not an easy task. Running is really hard when you’re overweight, and it’s even harder to keep making yourself do it over the long term.