Facebook Making A Phone Of Its Own

Somewhere in the secret Facebook labs, a plan was enacted to create a phone to battle the likes of the iPhone and Droid. The company has reportedly contracted with a third party to get rolling on the until-now secret device, which could be out by the holidays this year. Or not.

TechCrunch got the scoop from some talkative yet vague little birdies. The phone will plug in directly to the Facebook infrastructure, ideally streamlining the process to get you in contact with your Farmville-nonsense posting pals.

Facebook Is Secretly Building A Phone [TechCrunch]

Comments

1. Mobius says:

I hope it’s as successful as Microsoft’s social networking centric phone, the KIN!

2. sp00nix says:

Droid is to specific. Andorid is more like it.

• tbax929 says:

Agreed. I don’t have a Droid, but I do have an Android phone. It doesn’t matter, eveyone always refers to it as a Droid anyway. I’ll never understand why Motorola named their Android phone that.

• howie_in_az says:

They obviously felt bad that Mr. Lucas hasn’t produced a movie lately and wanted to make sure he could get some money from royalties from using the word “droid”.

3. humphrmi says:

“What features does a Facebook phone need to have in order to get you to buy one?”

The ability to self-destruct.

4. Rocket says:

-Make phone calls
    -Receive phone calls
    -Print money
    -Have more GBs

5. Rocket says:
  6. g.park says:

It has to be not made by Facebook.

7. Hedgy2136 says:

I know I’m not their target market. I don’t have a facebook account and thusly, have no interest in a phone from them.

8. MaytagRepairman says:

Yes, I deleted my Facbook account. Like I really need a phone that sends me a text every 15 minutes to let me know that another friend is hooked on Farmville.

9. crazydavythe1st says:

Why? This kind of stuff has been done. and it NEVER SUCCEEDS. You’ll have a few tweens that will have to have it, and everyone else will be using their iPhone or Android phone.

10. bugmenot101 says:

I heard that they are partnering with Coby. Or maybe it was Goldstar.

• Promethean Sky says:

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Coby+facebook. Neither company knows how not to suck, they’re perfect for each other. I actually hate Coby electronics more than I hate facebook. I’ve never had a FB application CATCH ON FIRE before.

11. aja175 says:

“What features does a Facebook phone need to have in order to get you to buy one”

Less facebook.

12. Rachacha says:

Seems as if COnsumerist bought into the Tech Crunch Link Bait:

Mashable interviewed Facebook and they said:

“The story, which originated in Techcrunch, is not accurate. Facebook is not building a phone. Our approach has always been to make phones and apps more social. Current projects include include everything from an HTML5 version of the site to apps on major platforms to full Connect support with SDKs to deeper integrations with some manufacturers. Our view is that almost all experiences would be better if they were social, so integrating deeply into existing platforms and operating systems is a good way to enable this. For an example, check out Connect for iPhone and the integration we have with contact syncing through our iPhone app. Another example is the INQ1 phone with Facebook integration (the first so-called ‘Facebook Phone’). The people mentioned in the story are working on these projects. The bottom line is that whenever we work on a deep integration, people want to call it a ‘Facebook Phone’ because that’s such an attractive soundbite, but building phones is just not what we do.”

13. Geekybiker says:

Facebook has already denied this.

14. Polarix says:

Yep… this was already completely denied by Facebook themselves yesterday on Engadget…. so why this was posted today when it was denied is beyond me.

15. CyGuy says:

Considering how featureless their iPhone app is, I sure hope they have an independent team working on their own phone.

The iPhone app doesn’t let you “like” fan pages, nor does it let you download photos from other peoples galleries. And much of the time, I can’t see comments on photos.

16. TheGreySpectre says:

Facebook has enough privacy problems as is, I would never trust them with my phone.

17. Dyscord says:

Um…it’s been two days. You’d think that there would be an update indicating that this is a hoax.