Someday Your Shirt Will Come In A Can

Mankind is undaunted in its efforts to process as many products as possible into canned form, and when possible, to give those cans spray-on ability. Finally science has achieved the touchstone of sprayable clothing that surpasses the novelty of body paint.

Wired reports a British company has developed clothing that comes in a can. You spray the substance on your body and it forms a cohesive fabric.

“In my quest to produce this kind of fabric, I ended up returning to the principles of the earliest textiles such as felt, which were also produced by taking fibers and finding a way of binding them together without having to weave or stitch them,” a Spanish designer who helped develop the product told Wired.

Would products would you like to see canned and sprayable?

Make Clothes Out of a Can with Spray-on Fabric [Wired]

Comments

1. Mewf says:

“Would products would you like…” I would if a woodchuck would.

2. GrimJack says:

Hmmm… I’m thinking that the average American’s body shape will not sync well with sprayed-on clothing. Maybe the bony hipsters in Brooklyn will be early adopters, but I doubt that doughy middle-America will find such clothing quite so flattering…

3. reznicek111 says:

Sounds like an interesting idea in theory, but I’m not so sure there are a lot of physiques out there (mine included) that would look good (or better) in sprayed-on clothing. Of course, some people already wear clothes that might as well be sprayed-on…

Question: how easily would these “garments” be shed? Would solvents be required? Are they something like “Silly String”!? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Truly inquiring minds read the article, which explains your questions as well as shows picture of the process.

RTFA?

• knoxblox says:

I’m also curious about disposal of the garments. I mean, once one feels that the garment had outlived its purpose, will it become the next generation of product to glut the landfills, or will it be recyclable?

Also, being a hairy kind of guy, I don’t see it as an easy product to remove; and as a fair-skinned guy, I can easily see some sun-exposure issues with the way it lays across the skin. To me, there are too many kinks to work out before it’s viable.

• Archon286 says:

Could they be edible? :)

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

No one wants to see my overweight body covered in a overweight body-shaped spray-on shirt.

5. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If you read the article, it talks about medical uses. Specifically, spray-on bandages. Now THAT is a newsworthy article, and a very awesome technology.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

That would be nifty.

• jenjenjen says:

Eeugh. The liquid paint-on bandage stuff you can already get is one of the most painful products I have ever had the misfortune to purchase, and I can’t imagine this being any better. The solvents that have to be used to keep it liquid enough to disperse do NOT feel good on any kind of skin abrasion or cut.

6. DaWezl says:

I don’t even like to take the time to *iron* clothing, let alone take 15-20 minutes to try and spray a shirt on.

• merkin says:

I know, right? Like spraying on my clothes is something I’m going to want to do on a Monday morning when I’m running late and still wet from the shower as I step out the door.

7. aloria says:

I’m pretty fit, but even I would not wear something along the lines of spray-on clothing. I don’t like anything that clings to my skin. I’d be spazzing out. Also, how would this work with underpants?

8. Doubts42 says:

I question the sustainability and the environmental impact.
    What kinds of horrible chemicals would we be releasing, and spraying onto ourselves?
    How durable would these fabrics be, would they be water or oil soluble? Would the shirts just dissolve in a heavy rain?

9. Mecharine says:

I’ve seen videos of women walking around in spray on “clothing”
    I am very interested.

10. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

And given body hair exists, will this be like a free body wax every time you remove the spray on clothes?
    I shudder to think.

11. DerangedHermit says:

Another stained shirt.

DAMNIT!

12. deadandy says:

Once, I was driving through Ontario and I was very thirsty. I only had a dollar with me. I stopped at a rest area and found a Squirt machine. You know, Squirt Your Thirst and all that. I inserted my dollar and vended a can of Squirt. As I removed the can from the dispensing tray, I thought it felt odd. I opened it, and it actually contained a Squirt T-shirt reading “I Got Lucky” along with the Squirt logo. It was some kind of promotion. I was still thirsty.

13. redskull says:

Finally, I can stop wasting precious seconds slipping an old fashioned shirt on over my head. Now I can spend half an hour having an assistant spray my shirt directly onto my body and wait for it to dry.

The spray on bandage offshoot is a good idea, but the clothing aspect… not so much.

14. HogwartsProfessor says:

Ummmmm….no. I like a little room.

15. Invader Zim says:

Talk about getting clothing entangled in your body hair. I can see the advertisement “spray on underwear. So everybody know when you happy to see them”.

16. Hi_Hello says:

that’s awesome. hole in my shirt?? spray spray :D what hole? mauhaahah

17. RandomHookup says:

I’m predicting an uptick in sexual harassment lawsuits.

18. marlathetourist says:

How do you spray this on the back of yourself? Sounds like a two man project to me.

19. wickedpixel says:

That’s pretty interesting. I could see someone with mad airbrush skills setting up a custom clothing shop.

20. sirwired says:

Of course, he doesn’t mention that felt is made by taking those fibers and doing all sorts of evil things to them. (Steam, a lot of needles, and formerly, mercury)

21. NumberSix says:

Condoms.

22. denros says:

This ostensibly combines two of the “GTL” trifecta into one singular, perfect event. Gym Spray Spray all day long. I’m pumping my fist and slamming a sparks right now.

23. Kitty Conner says:

What products do I want to see canned and sprayable?

I think the canned/sprayable products market really hit its zenith with the advent of EasyCheese.

Really, nowhere to go but down from there.

24. Truthie says:

I for one look forward to a future of spray-on shirts and Candwiches.

25. OKJeff says:

Didn’t SNL invent this back in 1998.

“It’s burning my skin!”
    “That’s how you know it’s a shirt”.

Can’t find a video, unfortunately.

26. Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

Brings the truth to the saying, “Those clothes look like they were sprayed/injection molded on”.

27. ShruggingGalt says:

Came here for the spray on shoes reference, leaving disappointed.

28. zandar says:

No. no, it won’t.

Just like all of my t-shirts aren’t Hypercolor.

29. RxDude says:

I hope to someday come in a can.

30. Difdi says:

Interesting idea. When it’s available in Emergency Pants, let me know.

31. valen says:

I have a couple of problems with this product.

Unlike traditional clothing where there are interlocking “warp” and “weft” threads, this clothing consists of randomly aligned threads held together by an adhesive compound. I can’t see how this arrangement of clothing would last as long as traditional woven fabric. The YouTube “Scarf” video shows a fabric that looks like it has the durability of a sheet of double ply toilet paper.

Fabrics also have a tendency to shrink when placed in a dryer. As a result, any fitted clothing that is made with non-preshrunk fabrics will not fit the wearer after the first dry cycle. Given that this canned product only produces fitted clothing, it would appear that any clothing produced by this product would be considered “line dry only.”

In conclusion… I can see some medical and tailoring applications for this product. It would be excellent for spray on bandages or for quickly creating a fitted prototype clothing pattern. However, I do not see it being useful in a daily basis due to the problems mentioned above.

32. FeelinFroggy says:

Sounds cool but the best part of the article is the link to reference spray on latex body paint….
    I prefer the latex examples….uh thank you

33. ZekeDMS says:

Can it make you look like a cheap french harlot?

34. lowcajones says:

Like Amy Wong, we can just spray on new clothes.

35. Pax says:

I’m thinking, this would be not so good for the hairier-bodied end of the spectrum …

36. Draw2much says:

Maybe for emergencies. (I’m not sure what TYPE of emergencies you’d use it for though…lol..) Otherwise it’d take too darn long to spray on. And how do you reach your back? You’d need a second person.
    A real shirt would just be easier.

37. sendbillmoney says:

Meh. Call me when they have spray-on wool suits.

38. lihtox says:

I wouldn’t wear skin-tight clothing, but the first comment on the Wired article suggests that this might be good to *patch* worn or frayed clothing, which would be awesome if possible.

39. Joey_Brill says:

Sorry, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century featured body suits with zippers. I want those for day. I’ll save my Queen Amadalla nightwear preferences for my own tribe. Beedeeebeeedeee

40. yessongs says:

What about hairy people? Wouldn’t their pray on clothes look like sweaters? Women would have to be careful in cold climates as well.

41. NydiaGeben says:

Someday Your Shirt Will Come In A Can

Someday your Can will covered by a Shirt.

42. XianZomby says:

There’s also paint on latex shirts if you’re into the goth music/industrial/trent reznor/leather and latex scene. I saw this at a sex shop in Missouri in 1995. The problem was you really had to have no body hair, it kind of mapped your pores and bumps and stuff and really made gross looking shirts.

I think the spay on clothing concept is meant as a technology demonstration/ proof-of-principle, not an end product.

43. buzz86us says:

This would be nice for socks because I hate wearing socks it’d probably feel more natural too.

44. drburk says:

These things will be the next piece of clothing banned by the Olympic organizing committee.

45. Pavlov's Dog says:

Two observations after I RTFA.

First, with all the aerosol this seems like a great way to further affect the environment in a negative way.

Second, I could see this being an absolute disaster for individuals like myself who don’t have the chest of a pre-pubescent boy. I would imagine that any chest hair would get woven in with the sprayable clothing and be extremely painful to remove.

I would suggest sticking with body paint for the people who can pull it off and regular clothes for the rest of society.

One can only imagine the absurdity of spray on underwear and pants…

46. webweazel says:

peopleofwalmart.com dances with glee anticipating all the new pictures the site will receive of the horrid brain-bleach inducing fatrolls flying around like a box of donuts tossed into a ceiling fan.
    Egad.