Chuck E. Cheese's Recalls Over 1 Million Plastic Rings, 120,000 Toy Glasses

To all the parents whose kids ask for birthday parties at Chuck E. Cheese’s, you now have another good reason to tell them no — it could be hazardous to your health. The Consumer Product Safety Commission and the fun-time restaurant chain have announced a recall of two pieces of plastic junk sold there.

The two items being recalled are 1.1 million of the Chuck E. Cheese’s Light-up Rings and 120,000 of the eatery’s Star Glasses.

According to the CPSC:

If crushed or pulled apart, the plastic casing can break into small pieces and possibly expose the batteries, posing an ingestion hazard to children. If ingested, the batteries may be damaging to either the stomach, intestine, esophagus or nasal mucus membrane.

CPSC says it knows of two incidents involving the Light-Up Rings, one in which a child swallowed a battery; the other involved a child inserting a battery into his nostril. So far, there are no reported incidents involving the Star Glasses.

Both items were sold at Chuck E Cheese’s Restaurants; the rings were available from April 2009 through June 2010, The Star Glasses were sold between April through August 2010.

chuckecheeseglasses.jpg

CPSC advises anyone who owns either other these products to take them away from children immediately and return them to any Chuck E. Cheese’s. Ring returners will have their choice of either a refund of $1.00 plus four Chuck E. Cheese’s tokens or a Soccer Promo-Cup plus four Chuck E. Cheese’s tokens. Those returning the Star Glasses will have the choice of either a refund of $4.99 or a Flashing Hands prize product.

For additional information, contact Chuck E. Cheese’s at (888) 778-7193 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, email the company at guestrelations@cecentertainment.com or visit the firm’s website at www.chuckecheese.com

Chuck E. Cheese’s Recalls Light-up Rings and Star Glasses Due to Ingestion Hazard [CPSC]