ID Theft Victim Receives Ceaseless Cavalcade Of Stolen Packages

This lady’s address was used by credit card thieves who were scoping out different merchants’ fraud triggering levels. Which meant that she was receiving packages for and calls about a portable night light, Vietnamese movies, and a $2,500 Gibson. Every day for two months she got something new, and no one could stop it.

The stolen packages kept coming and coming [Red Tape Chronicles] (Thanks to Max!)

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Your welcome?

• BDSanta2001 says:

Agreed.

• pgh9fan1 says:

“Your”? How about, “You’re”?

• Big Mama Pain says:

You’re*

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Let’s not be correcting grammar mistakes around here. If that were allowed, I would personally send a hit man to every poster who can’t differentiate “its” (the possessive pronoun) from “it’s” (the contraction of “it is.”) I cringe every time I read “it’s” when “its” should have been used, big time!

2. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I hope she hacked the Gibson.

3. DorianDanger says:

This happens literally everyday at my work. Someone will call and say that they received 2 packages from someone that they don’t know, then the next day they’ll get two more, and as a business there is nothing we can do but call the CC company. It sucks, that girls address is effed until she moves.

4. trentblase says:

Nobody mentioned the FBI? Sure, the dollar values might be small now, but a more sophisticated criminal ring is clearly behind this.

5. cosmic.charlie says:

I’d be more concerned if these people ordered it they know her address and knows that she has all of this merchandise now sitting around.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

She actually returned everything and then had FedEx, UPS, and the USPS stop delivering packages to her house.

I want to know how she managed to get that to happen without cutting off all of her mail with the USPS.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Regular envelope mail clearly isn’t the same as packages, so if they listened, they would just refuse to deliver packages.

My thing is, she’s going to have a heck of a time getting her stuff when she resolves all this and actually buys something online.

• Dutchess says:

Why do people ALWAYS SAY THIS? “I’m just concerned that they have my address and might come to my house.”

I hear this all the time and I have literally NEVER read an article that preceded with “we got a bunch of mysterious packages and then we were robbed.”

These people are likely hundreds if not thousands of miles away. Sure, they’re going to get on a plane, take a taxi to suburbia and rob your house for a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff. Yeah, that’s completely logical.

These are such unfounded fears, people like to sit around and create and find more ways of worrying about things.

You’re more likely to get robbed by a neighbor or be a victim of a random crime than this kind of BS.

• DH405 says:

So, you are completely unable to see that someone would..

1. Order $2500 guitar to be sent to an address
        2. Watch tracking to see that the guitar is delivered
        3. Break into apartment and retrieve $2500 guitar along with anything else of value

Seems pretty easy.

• Difdi says:

Might be interesting to see this happen to my address. What with the secured building, locked package room, and so forth.

6. Karita says:

I’m honestly confused by this. What is the point? I can understand someone stealing identity to send packages to their own home. But why would a thief send all kinds of goods to the victim? I can’t figure out what benefit their is to the person doing it to her.

• Karita says:

Ahh, I RTFA and I guess that makes sense. It’s so weird. Good for the lady for returning everything.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’d say it’s her compensation for getting her identity stolen. Hey, people are using your name and address to defraud other companies, but you’re getting the items!

• Dutchess says:

RTA, it’s the cyber equivalent of casing a bank. You do numerous small transactions to test the system and see what you can get away with. Once you learn a companies security protocols you can then start a systematic scam that runs under their radar. You can run it for a few weeks and by the time they figure out what happened, the thief is gone.

7. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Personally, I would build a fort.

8. dg says:

Anyone who sends you something you didn’t order can’t demand payment. You get to keep it as a free gift. Not sure if this only applies to USPS delivered items, or other carriers as well, but honestly – if something gets sent to me that I didn’t order, I leave it lying around for a few weeks. If they want it back, they can pay for the return shipping, AND remunerate me for my time to deal with the whole thing. If they don’t want to do both, they can come pick it up when I’m damn good and ready to allow it.

After it sits here for a while – it’s mine.

• koalabare says:

Yes, and when the police get involved and you have a bunch of merchandise ordered with stolen credit cards that you refused to give back–then things get REALLY fun. Even though you’re innocent, they aren’t going to see it that way and at a bare minimum you’re going to have to pay a lawyer lots of money.

• tbax929 says:

Where did you go to law school? Cracker Jack University?

• tanyaandkarl says:

Title 39, United States Code, Section 3009 applies to the US postal service only.

If Bubba steals from Earl, and Fedexes it to your house, Bubba can’t demand payment from you because you have no contract with Bubba.

Earl, OTOH, might come to your house later with the Sherrif looking for his stuff.
      You’ll need to give Earl back his property or have a damned good explanation why:

“Earl, I appreciate that you love your pet elephant, and you miss him very much. However, when I received the elephant, I had no idea who it belonged to. Also, I was unprepared for the expense and inconvenience of maintaining such an animal. So, I called the dog warden who had a zookeeper in the next state come get it.” (Yes, I know, they probably would have euthanized it because the zoo can’t afford another one either…)

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

But she knows it’s stolen goods because the thieves used her identity and other people’s credit cards.

• frank64 says:

What a sleazy thing to do.

9. BuddhaLite says:

Another wonderful misleading subject. The person isn’t receiving stolen packages. She’s receiving packages for orders made with stolen CC info. From the article:

But long-time Internet fraud investigator Julie Ferguson, now with fraud-fighting firm Ethoca.com, thinks she knows what’s happening to Meadows. She called it a “card tester scheme.”

“Her identity is probably being used to pass fraud checks,” Ferguson said. “These people are testing merchants, trying to figure out what triggers the fraud rules.”

10. AnonymousCoward says:

She’s reporting the crime to the wrong authorities. Even if the local police were interested, they don’t have jurisdiction. The FBI handles interstate computer crime, and the Secret Service (believe it or not) handles international computer crime. She should also report it to the US Postal Inspector, since there’s mail fraud involved. The Internet Crime Complaint Center, is kind of a clearinghouse for all of the above, so she would do best to start there.

11. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

Does the Mail fraud statutes cover this?

12. hypochondriac says:

What I want to know is do you get to keep the items? If not how long can you delay before contacting the companies. What would be the best way to contact them? Mail/Phone E-mail.

If it was one package I wouldn’t mind calling back but with several and from different companies.. it get’s harder

13. pandroid says:

This exact same thing happened to me – stolen debit card number, got that fixed, but then I got a random thing I never ordered in the mail (and it wasn’t in the debit card transactions either).They also tried to use my information (but not my card number) to sign up for google ads.

14. gonzaga707 says:

and the problem is….

15. sock says:

Also happened to me (not to this degree) a few years ago. I sent back the merchandise, cancelled the magazine subscriptions. There was nothing I could do about the software downloads. It took some months to get cleaned up, and a lot of my time. I now have fraud blocks or passwords on all my accounts/credit reports. Only trouble now is I can’t open any ‘instant’ credit cards (no loss). I recently refinanced my mortgage and had to pay a $20 fee to the credit reporting agencies to have my fraud block temporarily released so the mortgage company could do their stuff. What a way for them to capitalize on slimeball criminals’ activities. It seems to be the American way, though.