Burger King Tells Me To Pull Into Handicapped Parking Spot So It Can Cheat Drive-Thru Timer

You’re at a drive-thru, you’ve already paid and are stuck in line waiting for your food. You’re at the mercy of an employee who may ask you to pull off to the side so the restaurant can cheat the timer so Corporate continues to think service is quick. But what do you do when the employee tells you to pull into a handicapped spot?

David found himself in such a situation:

I went through the drive through and ordered some Whoppers for me and my fiancee. After ordering, they told me that their Whopper patty meat wasn’t ready yet and it would be a few minutes until it was.

So I was fine with that and even expected them to cheat the drive-through timer by asking me to pull over, which they did. The part that I wasn’t fine with was that the girl asked me to pull into the handicapped parking space.

Now for me it’s not just a legality issue (since I’m in no way shape or form handicapped) but it’s also a morality issue. Suffice it to say I was a bit flabbergasted, and let her know my discomfort with parking there. So she asked me to park at the nearest available space, which meant I had to back up to get there and hope no one was trying to go through the drive-through at that moment.

But it seems to me that it’s a bit of a problem when they are so worried about their times that they ask customers to illegally park.

If you abide by such a request and the police catch you, that Whopper combo might cost a few dozen more dollars than you anticipated.

Previously: Burger King Drive-Thru Guys Make Us Pull Off To The Side To Cheat Timer

Comments

1. caradrake says:

What happens when you refuse to move forward? One of the most memorable incidents I had, was when I was asked to pull forward… then it took *over twenty minutes* to get my food. That’s just outrageous – and if I had not had already paid, I would have left.

• Southern says:

I go through the trouble of reporting them to corporate every time they ask me to do that.. Either via the “Survey” phone number that’s on the receipt, or I send ‘em an email (and I’ve received quite a few coupons for doing it, too)..

Corporate (apparently) really doesn’t like this practice much, as 2 drive thrus near my home have completely stopped doing it (I’ve sat there for 10 minutes while they cook something) – they don’t even do it for lunch rush any more, which use to be the main time they did it.

I’d never make an issue of it AT the drive-thru though; no telling what type of “extras” you might find on your food..

• arcticJKL says:

You know that’s a great idea!
        By informing corporate the practice can be stopped and you get a little reward too.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I would imagine your food gets made first, since they are trying to fool the timers and you aren’t playing ball.

• davere says:

My ex tried that one. They asked him to move forward and since we had just waited 5 minutes for the person in front of us to finally get their food, he refused to do so.

The worker threatened to call the cops, my ex called his bluff, and the food magically appeared seconds later (as I’m sure it would have either way.)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’m curious: what excuse did the employee give as justification for calling the cops?

And how did he bluff it? Did he just say “go right ahead?”

• Southern says:

I’m sure corporate would love to hear THAT story.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

They already took your money, so if they wanted to call the police for trespassing, first they’d have to give you back your money and ask you to leave.

I’d be worried about getting the “special sauce”, though, so I’d probably pull into a non-handicapped spot.

• jnads says:

I’d comply, for worry that my meal would come with extra ingredients not listed.

• dolemite says:

My experience with “pull forward” is: You pull forward and stare in your mirror wondering when your food will show. You expect it will be 2-3 minutes, but it’s usually more like 8-10. Usually, they will take care of everyone in the drive-thru (or at least the next 5-6) and everyone in line at the register. When things calm down, they will remember you and meander over with your cold burgers.

• thisistobehelpful says:

Well where I worked we busted our ass to get the food out there including sending the employee out at a job. During the lunch rush we’d invariably have several cars ordering for several people and that would mean the one person ordering for one person would get screwed. Asking people to pull forward usually allowed us to triage orders so that simple ones got out quicker. If they’re asking you to pull forward without your food that timer’s already WAY over what it’s supposed to be. This is also why during the drunk rush we’d have even longer lines. We weren’t allowed to open the doors and run out the orders to them so everyone had to sit when that one guy ordered 60 tacos and 30 burgers even if their order was simple.

• Southern says:

And that is exactly the problem. Maybe by showing that (during certain times) the timer is WAY over what it’s supposed to be, that just MIGHT signal that there’s a scheduling problem, and they need to have more employees assigned to that particular time slot… Rather than have the employees that ARE there running around like chickens with their heads cut off, getting orders wrong, and just causing a lot of stress in general.

But no, by fudging the numbers, all you do is tell Corporate (or the District Manager) “Hey, look how great we are, we can serve 100 cars in an hour with only 2 people on shift!”

• thisistobehelpful says:

*jog

• Jimmy60 says:

I had grown frustrated at always being asked to pull ahead at the Golden Arches, waiting minutes for what was usually a messed up order. One day they asked me to pull ahead and I simply said “No.” This seemed to throw off the clerk who I heard pronounce “He won’t pull ahead”. Within seconds the manager was handing me my order.

It’s all so weird.

• doobiewondersmoke says:

I always refuse. If I have to wait, so does everyone behind me. Usually my food is handed out to me really quickly. Also, the reason that I always refuse is because I never special order anything. It’s always straight from the menu with the stock ingredients. It’s not my fault that your employees are slow.

• Griking says:

What is it with all the inconsiderate people recently?

So just because your Whopper isn’t ready you think that I should have to wait to get my diet coke?

• Merricat says:

Just because you got there after me, you think you should get to cut in line? I ordered first. I get served first. If you are in a hurry, pull into a spot yourself and go in.

• Murph1908 says:

Your logic is flawed.

If you both went in, and your burger was going to take 5 more minutes, you would be asked to move to the side of the counter and they would serve the next person in line.

Your position is the equivalent of standing in front of the register, blocking out the next person in line like a basketball center.

• Dory says:

Well, no.

Taking a step to the right is much less inconvenient than pulling out of a parking lot, pulling back in, finding a spot, backing in, and waiting 20 minutes for food that may or may not arrive, now that I’m no longer a problem and can safely be made to wait as long as they like without reprimand or recourse. (“Oops, we forgot about you! Sorry, here’s your food.”)

• 99 1/2 Days says:

They do this to me at Church’s every single time. I pray that I’ll get my food. Once I had to go in as they forgot me. Guy at the counter claimed he didn’t see me and thought I had left: that I went to Church’s and gave them money for no reason. Right.

• Murph1908 says:

And sitting there preventing other people from moving ahead because you don’t want to be bothererd is extremely selfish.

I don’t agree with them doing this to cheat the system, but why should the 5 people behind you suffer because you don’t feel like moving forward?

I bet you are the kind of driver that passes the long line of cars waiting for the exit and cuts in in front, too.

• trey says:

i paid, i got here before you, you have a problem not me. deal with it children.

• yevarechecha says:

Are you the guy that sits at red lights refusing to inch your car forward so the guy behind you can get to the right-turn lane? It’s the same kind of mentality: wasting another person’s time for no reason.

• trey says:

you are such a fucking idiot. you have no idea about me other than a response i left. but you assume you know something. i am not that guy at the red light… i am the guy in front of you at the counter ordering my food and if you have a problem with that then tap me on my shoulder and tell me to move and see what response you will receive.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Your logic is flawed. If you are “blocking” then an employee can walk out to server the person behind you. It’s no more hassle for them than serving you at your pull forward spot.

• bwcbwc says:

Why should anyone have to move out of line to help a fast food joint fudge their numbers. If you want faster service insist on better performance from the restaurant.

• hansolo247 says:

If asked, I’ll move up, but only if they offer me something for my trouble.

The soda’s price usually goes from whatever ungodly amount they want to on-the-house. I make them deduct it from the combo meal (as the soda is usually separate).

• Southern says:

I agree that it is slightly inconsiderate, and I always pull up when asked. As several other commentors have pointed out though, when they ask you to pull up, they know that you’re no longer affecting their “numbers”, so you’re now last on the list to be served – they’re going to take care of those customers that ARE affecting their numbers first.

And I have a specific case in point.

One night a bunch of us went down to the beach in Galveston. 3 families, 3 carloads worth.

On the way down, we decided to get some food at one of the local McDonalds for all our kids (We had plenty of drinks in the ice chests, of course), and we all decided to get the EXACT same thing(s), well, because you know how kids are – “How come Billy got Chicken Nuggets! I wanted chicken nuggets instead of this hamburger!”..

I was first in line. 1 50-piece nugget, and 3 large fries. They asked me to pull up. I did.

My next friend behind me made the exact same order.. They asked HIM to pull up. He did.

The 3rd car also made the same order. But instead of asking him to pull up, they handed him a bucket of nuggets and a bag with the fries.

Guess who’s nuggets (& fries) those were SUPPOSED to be? Right. Mine.

They then served another 4 cars after that; some they asked to pull up, others they just served. It took an extra *10 minutes* for us (the 1st and 2nd carloads) to get our food. They even brought out both orders at the same time. Everything was nice & hot so I didn’t mind, but it does illustrate the point that once they ask you to pull forward, you’re off their radar; you’ve already paid, they know you’ll wait, and they can focus on the people still in line before they have to remember that you’re out there.

• djshinyo says:

Who cares? 50 piece Nuggets? Shit yeah!

• DanGarion says:

I disagree, when I worked at McDonald’s years ago I made it a priority to get the food out to the customer that I parked as soon as it was ready, even if the person at the window had to wait.

• djshinyo says:

So get to the drive thru faster than that guy.

• trey says:

yes, yes you should. if you have a problem with that then that is your problem and yours alone.

• mandy_Reeves says:

I worked at a McD’s drive through when I was a teen. It was hilarious when the person wouldn’t pull up…people behind that guy would start honking and flipping out and banging on hoods and windows…to be fair, our drive through was situated in this concrete tunnel…so you did not have the option to leave…oh man….Summer of 96-97 how i miss you!

• humphrmi says:

I once waited 15 minutes at a McDonald’s. After 15 mins, I called the store manager every five minutes from my mobile phone in the parking lot. At the second call, I demanded a refund, or I would report the timer cheating event to corporate. A few minutes later, my food and a full refund was delivered.

• rmorin says:

I understand every point on this issue, but I think it speaks volumes to society that we compain over the length of fast food service. I understand that the expectation is for it to be quick service, but unless they state a specific time frame, what is reasonable/unreasonable? I ask this as a genuine question, because I agree with you that I would be a little perturbed at 20 minutes for a fast food resturant, but where is the line? I would think 10 minues would actually be alright, but I may be more patient then others.

Also, asking to go into the handicap spot is not right, and no one should agree to that, but pulling up could be because they are trying to beat a timer, or that simply your meal is taking a while longer, and they can expedidite orders in the mean time. If I order a whopper which needs to be made straight from the start, why should I have a problem with someone ordering chicken nuggets after me which are good to go from the fry basket? Just sorta seems inconsiderate, and a lose-lose assuming the workers will bring the food right when its ready (I guess im optimistic about peoples work ethic!) to not let a quicker order thats good to go behind you.

2. Rectilinear Propagation says:

I doubt the fast food guy would pay your ticket if you got caught.

• The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

I don’t think standing (stopping your vehicle while you are still in it) in a handicap parking space is illegal.

• cheezfri says:

Why wouldn’t it be illegal? You are still preventing a disabled person from using that spot.

• AlphaLackey says:

No you aren’t; if a disabled person comes to use the spot, you can leave it.

• SGT. E. G. ROCK says:

Moderate | Flag for review

* You can and WILL be ticketed.
            If you stop in a handicapped spot for ANY reason.
            A handicapped person scans the lot looking for somewhere
            they can legally park their wheelchair van, or car with
            enough room to get out. They shouldn’t have to ‘wonder’ if
            you are in your car and reading, sitting waiting, or
            just sleeping until your partner gets back to your vehicle.
            Handicapped Spots have their own set of rules.
            BUT.. the main rule is very Simple….
            “”If you do NOT have a handicapped plate …
            or mirror hanger handicapped plaque,
            NO STANDING, NO STOPPING, NO PARKING, NO KIDDING !! “”

• Jimmy60 says:

You are only stopped if you are in a traffic lane, waiting for a clear space or a traffic control to change. Otherwise you are parked. Especially if you are sitting in a parking spot. Your presence in the driver’s seat or the fact that your motor is running makes no difference. You are parked.

And no, putting on your four ways doesn’t help either.

• syzygy says:

Funny, I’ve never heard hazard lights (sometimes “flashers”) referred to as “four ways”. Must be a regional thing.

• mobiuschic42 says:

My BF and I go back and forth on that all the time. I grew up calling them “four way flashers” – I think I got it from my mom who grew up in Buffalo, NY. Everyone else I’ve ever known has called them “Hazard lights” so I make an attempt to follow that norm, but I usually end up saying “turn on the four way flashers – I mean the hazard lights. whatever. you know what I mean.” and then he makes fun of me. Then I make fun of him for calling a trash can a “barrel” and for saying “soder” instead of “soda”. :)

• Jimmy60 says:

It could be an age thing too. :-)

• idip says:

I love it when people put on their four ways and park on a firelane.

I’m like…… TICKET! lol.

and then they come out and are like… “But I was just dropping something off, I didn’t know I couldn’t park on a fire lane”…….

Uh… Did you get a driver’s license? lol.

• trentblase says:

This is a typical statute: No person other than a person certified by the Michigan Secretary of State, another state, or in the case of temporary handicap by the Department of Public Safety, as a handicapper shall stop, stand or park a vehicle for any length of time either wholly or partially in any parking space designated for handicapped parking or identified as a handicapped parking area, unless the person is parking the vehicle for the benefit of a handicapper.

• Dutchess says:

Try that trick in London. We stopped our car for 2 minutes in a no parking zone. We were never saw a traffic officer, and never left the car, we were there just long enough to read the map.

3 weeks later we got a ticket for illegal parking (plus a hefty surcharge by the rental car company).

It was all caught on camera. Bastards,

3. AustinTXProgrammer says:

My wife IS disabled and has plates. There was a fast food place with a bad parking lot that would routinely have people park in the handicapped space. Somehow when going there to eat in we never had problems with an occupied spot, but we certainly didn’t like it.

Now as for the drive through timer… If they were busy and someone has a long order having them move makes lots of sense, but if there is no one behind me I would certainly add the clock with a bit of “why? there’s no one behind me….”

• common_sense84 says:

Entitled much?

Get over it. At a fast food place every spot is closer to the door than the closest handicapped spot to the door at a walmart.

There is nothing worse than handicapped people getting a privilege and then being ungrateful.

• Dory says:

No, really, tell us more about how people in wheelchairs have oppressed you. I’m eager to hear this sad, awful story of unfair privileges and other basic necessities so these people can function in society.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

Sir, would you prefer my wife just slam her door open into yours? Handicapped spaces tend to be wider to allow for the mobility impaired who need extra room. The same goes If you park on the ramp you prevent someone from being able to get out!

What if tomorrow you are hit by a bus and have to deal with this shit yourself?

• SunnyLea says:

Good heavens! What brought that on?

• Shadowfax says:

It’s not an issue of how close to the door it is. It’s an issue of how much space is to the side of the parking spot for the wheel chair lift to go. If you park a handicap van in a normal spot, someone will park next to you, and then you won’t be able to get in or out of your vehicle.

• runswithscissors says:

Holy crap! This is one of the worst comments I’ve read on this site. Ever.

4. TimothyT says:

In the course of patronizing this business they asked you to help cheat their internal timer by parking illegally. Maybe it’s just me but I think I would spend my money elsewhere.

5. rpm773 says:

I wouldn’t park there. I’d pull into the “Expecting mothers only” spot next to it. Or the “low-emission vehicles” spot next to that one. Or maybe the “Reserved for the employee of the month” spot next to that one.

• FangDoc says:

You know, years ago I used to see those “expectant mothers” spaces everywhere. Now I’m 6+ months pregnant and I haven’t seen one anywhere I shop. Not that I’d use one; I’m pregnant, not disabled, and I’m in perfectly good health. It’s just that either stores in my area took down those signs, or I have (for other reasons) stopped shopping at the stores that had them.

• Southern says:

A lot of the grocery stores in this area still have ‘em (like HEB, Krogers, and a few others), but that’s pretty much the only place I’ve seen ‘em.

• squirrel says:

Im my area, it’s the local Best Buy. I’m still trying to figure that one out.

• Christine says:

Geeeeze….. you people are just mean hearted. When I was pregnant my feet swelled up to balloons and the only footwear that I could cram my tootsies in were Birks in December (in Canada) because I could adjust the buckle according to the daily swell – and this was very early on. They would throb and ache and ache and throb. My second pregnancy came with some pretty crazy high blood pressure – very early on. It’s all about YOU isn’t it.

• sea0tter12 says:

Please, complain about being pregnant and having to walk a bit. That’s something you chose to be, and something that a lot of people can’t be no matter how much they want to. I would walk miles if it meant I got to suffer from swollen feet and high blood pressure because I was pregnant.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Yeah, but that doesn’t mean that you *shouldn’t* park there. If it’s no different from a regular parking spot and it’s empty, why not use it? I get why you wouldn’t complain about someone who’s not pregnant using the space but why would you avoid it?

• Gandalf the Grey says:

My Mother (who is an OB/GYN) parks in those spots whenever she sees them. Something about pregnant women not being disabled, and the biggest ‘problems’ her patients face being not getting enough exercise because we as a society discourage pregnant women from doing anything but sitting back and letting people bask in the glow of a mom-to-be.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I don’t have any problem with women in their third trimester parking in a expectant mother spot vs. trekking across an an icy lot in winter or when it’s 99 deg in the summer. If someone has a problem with these types of perks being offered, then they should take up the issue with the store vs. a passive aggressive tantrum in parking lot.

• Gandalf the Grey says:

One person’s small act of defiance is another person’s passive-aggressive temper tantrum I suppose.

She doesn’t stand in the spot and preach, or even approach women to tell them they shouldn’t park there, so I think you may be grossly overstating your assessment of the situation.

Then again, it’s hard to be objective when one’s mother is involved, so I may just be biased.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

“She doesn’t stand in the spot and preach, or even approach women to tell them they shouldn’t park there, “

That’s why I called it passive aggressive.

• Pinkbox says:

I’m glad your mother isn’t my OB/GYN. I’m heavily pregnant, and certainly don’t mind not having to walk so far in the excessive heat around this area when I can help it lately.

• Dory says:

Gosh, aren’t you an edgy rebel.

• pulsar0510 says:

The pregnant spot says “please leave the space for expectant mothers.” I choose not to, even though they asked nicely.

• winnabago says:

The low emissions spots are ridiculous! My regular honda is listed as PZEV, seems good enough to me. It’s not like some ticked off Prius driver will say something – hey, it doesn’t say Prius only! The only place I’ve seen these here on the east coast is at Sonic, and only a newly built one.

6. partofme says:

Does Burger King also have car detectors at the windows? Back in the day, when I worked at WacArnold’s, all of our timers were just hooked up to the internal systems. We only had one car detector (at the speaker), and all it did was give us a nice beep. The timer started when the first item on the order was entered in the system. It ended when the drive-thru person hit the “delivered” button. The way to cheat the timer was to just hit “delivered” as soon as everyone completed the tasks they actually needed the screen for. It had nothing to do with where the car was.

• SomeWhiteGuy says:

There’s a sensor at both windows to measure how long it takes the car to make the order and then move through the line. Nothing too fancy though. It can’t tell your Ford from the Chevy behind you.
      Sensor at the speaker marks as the start of the order, sensor at first window for payment, sensor at second window verifies the patron went all the way through. You could hypothetically use 3 different cars to trip each sensor.
      Managers use it to see if the Drive-Thru is working efficiently and corporate uses it to gauge the throughput for certain locations.

7. jdmba says:

While you are always at risk for a food-tampering incident; it may be best to suggest that if they just gave you your food, everyone could just get on with their lives.

I have NEVER had a good experience when being asked to pull up.

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Are fast food restaurant parking lots considered private property? Becuase you are not required to follow street signs or parking ruls on private property. They can only ask you to leave and be charged with trespassing if you return.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. Are you saying that they can park in those spots? That’s not true, but it sounds like you are trying to point out something else entirely.

• RandomHookup says:

It’s an interesting legal point…are handicapped parking spots on private property enforced by the police? In many states (maybe all), you can’t get a ticket for running a stop sign on private property because it’s not put in place by a government authority. You can probably get ticketed for reckless driving, but not for breaking the shopping center’s rules.

• MMD says:

Can’t speak for other traffic regulations, but handicapped parking is mandated by the ADA and subject to local law enforcement.

• RandomHookup says:

I don’t think you can say that there is universal authorization under the ADA to enforce illegal parking on private property. I’ll bet ADA allows enforcement of the requirement to have spots and perhaps even to require property owners to enforce the rules, but it appears there are some conflicts with local laws. Here’s an example from NC:

Although handicap-accessible spaces must be provided in private parking lots of businesses per 1990’s Americans with Disabilities Act standards, it is up to the business management to ensure the vehicles parked in the handicap spaces comply. They can have the vehicle towed. As the spaces are on private property and not on state roads, local police cannot enforce the law.

From reading a little on the subject, it appears there is confusion among law enforcement officers about the public/private enforcement issue, even when it’s written specifically into the law to allow enforcement on private property.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

A handicap spot on a private property is meaningless. It’s akin to me putting a handicap spot on my driveway.

• RandomHookup says:

Here’s a discussion of the issue by the Florida AG saying they couldn’t enact a law enforcing handicapped parking on private property:

Another post I found online said that Missouri law did allow enforcement on private property that is generally open to the public.

No pat answer on this, it appears.

• katstermonster says:

It’s unclear what kind of private property that Florida instance is referring to, because it does matter. The ADA defines places of public accommodation on which handicapped spaces must exist and be enforced, but places such as private clubs and religious organizations are exempt. If the Florida AG and his correspondent were referring to private clubs or stuff like that, then you’re correct – they can’t enforce. But the ADA does say that all places of public accommodation must have handicapped spaces, and therefore it is assumed (I can’t find anything to the contrary) that the police may enforce them.

• katstermonster says:

Ignore my last comment and take a look at the date on the Florida AG’s letter. 1984 – 6 years before ADA. That letter unfortunately no longer applies, as the ADA does require handicapped parking be enforced on certain private property.

• RandomHookup says:

Thanks for catching that. I’ll see if I can find something more recent.

• katstermonster says:

Try the ADA. ;) It covers this, see my reply directly to Loias above. It’s unclear whether this extends to enforcement, but I don’t see how it couldn’t. I also know people who have gotten ticketed on private property, so I’m gonna go with yes.

• RandomHookup says:

I don’t think it’s covered specifically under the ADA (I checked — nothing more fun than scanning federal laws), but that many (most) states and municipalities have included enforcement under their laws — it might be included in the regs or some court rulings. According to one article I link to below, NC doesn’t allow enforcement on private property (may be wrong, but I’m not in a position to challenge her). I’ll let the IAAL types do the rest of the research.

Understand, I approve of enforcement by local police since malls don’t have much enforcement power beyond towing…I’m just curious about this vs. the traffic sign rules (which I saw a Boston Globe column about the inability of local police to enforce).

• Brunette Bookworm says:

But aren’t the handicapped spaces required by law and therefore enforceable by law?

• Pax says:

If it’s marked as a handicapped spot – anywhere – and you park there without hte necessary plates and/or mirror-hang tag … you get ticketed.

If you mark your own driveway as a Handicapped parking spot, and then park there with your own, non-handicap-tagged car … if a cop walks by, s/he can absolutely slap a ticket on your car, and you will be paying the fine.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

No it’s nothing like messing around with our driveway. Businesses open to the public are held to a different standard in terms of private property. Just like they can’t kick someone out because they’re a certain ethnicity. This doesn’t fall under local traffic laws either. It’s a federal requirement with state input.

• Scrutinizer says:

Stile working on your Law GED.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Somewhat a contradiction in terms, as GED stands for General Education Degree. Not “law” degree.

• MMD says:

The semantics of the criticism aside, the point was that you’re 100% wrong in your assertions.

It’s called the Americans with Disabilites Act.

• guroth says:

It’s called the “make everyone else bend over backwards because I feel entitled and im mostly just looking for a plump settlement act” now. The term “disability” has been stretched so much in order to fit the growing waists of the lazy.

• RandomHookup says:

It’s a perfectly valid question…if the traffic rules don’t apply in private parking lots, do parking rules apply? I haven’t seen a citation from anyone from the ADA that requires enforcement by police. I did a quick scan of the ADA and didn’t find anything, though there may be government regulations that implement the act that require (allow) such enforcement.

It’s good to air questions out for discussion rather than make grand assumptions.

• rpm773 says:

I have a client where the owner of the business owns the building. He has handicap parking in the lot. I’m not sure if that’s by law or not. But when he began to outgrow his building and parking lot, his employees would fill those spots. And a local cop would come around and ticket them, despite the fact it was on private property.

• katstermonster says:

IANAL, but some googling indicates that restaurants are deemed places of public accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Thus, they are required to have and maintain a particular number of handicapped spaces. I believe that this extends to the cops being able to ticket you for parking in a handicapped space on private property. Because the ADA mandates that businesses have handicapped parking spaces and because such spaces must follow the guidelines of the ADA, they must still be obeyed on private property. In this case, there IS a government entity overseeing a particular traffic marking/signal/sign, so it is legitimate.

This page defines a place of public accommodation: http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/adaqa2.html

Anyone who knows better can feel free to correct me – this is what I gleaned from the pertinent portions of the ADA, though.

• common_sense84 says:

Nope. You could personally sue a business for not following the ADA. But cops can only write tickets and police such spots if a local ordinance gives them that ability. Most places do not have such an ordinance. So most handicapped spots are technically optional.

The only exception is I think spots at government buildings. Those are enforceable by police. That would include a public school or college.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

As far as I know most states, cities, etc have ordinances that provide for enforcement of the handicapped spots. Maybe it isn’t as widespread as I thought, but certainly here.

I have also found calling the police non emergency number gets a very quick response. It is an easy ticket to write and brings in revenue.

• Tomas says:

Be very cautious giving out your free legal opinions.

First off, laws are quite different locality to locality.

In my state (Washington) police can write tickets for unlawfully parking in handicapped spots on commercial propewrty because state law says so. They can ALSO fine the owner/manager of the lot for not assuring those spots are lawfully used. (These are not small fines and by law are not dismissable.)

(My local police department even has a parking enforcement team with the specific assignment of ensuring the ADA slots on commercial property are properly used.)

9. framitz says:

Either present the order or give my money back. I’m driving away and not pulling forward to wait.

10. Zen says:

Getting asked to pull over generally sucks. I’ve started asking for a refund when asked to pull over. It takes a minute at some places where the payment is separate from the food service windows, but they can and will do so…

• bethied says:

Wow, that’s a bit extreme. Sounds like more trouble than waiting the three minutes for the fresh fries to come up.

And to be completely fair, when I was in fast food we usually only asked people to pull forward if we were waiting on their order and the next order was already bagged and ready to go. Why make everyone wait? It never takes that long to just pull up and wait, plus it ensures your food will be nice and hot. Believe me, they really aren’t doing it for their own health, it’s for the convenience of the other customers–nobody really wants to be running in and out of the building during a rush.

When management wanted to hack the timers (ours were triggered by metal detectors at the menu board and last window), they’d wait till business was slow, then send someone out to drive in circles around the building.

11. UltimateOutsider says:

I was not aware of these drive-thru timers until last night when I was dining with my family at Taco Bell. While I stood in front of the counter waiting for our order for fifteen minutes, I watched as the staff worked like crazy to bring the big red drive-through indicator back into the green. The timer had been warning them that the average window transaction was taking 87 seconds, and they neglected all in-store orders to eventually pull it down to 60 seconds. A pretty big line developed inside the store while they were working on it.

So much for going inside to bypass the drive-thru line.

• Willie Derp says:

Good lord, you waited in line for 15 minutes???

• Aaron Anderson says:

I’ve never understood this mentality… I used to work retail at Sears. We would have to ignore customers that were IN THE STORE AND SPENDING CASH IN HAND to answer phone calls from kids to see if we had the playstation in stock; and if we didn’t get it in under 2 rings… boy someone was gonna pay for that! They care less about you because you’re already IN the store. The odds of you leaving once you’re parked and inside are much lower than if you’re in your running car in the the drive through.

• kewpie says:

It’s completely ridiculous, but you can use it to your advantage. When I can’t get someone to help me (this is a particular problem when trying to get electronics or games that are locked in cases), I just call the store on my cell while I’m still standing in the store. They always answer the phone right away, and I get helped very quickly.

• squirrel says:

Seeing how a lot of drive throughs are set up in my area with special lanes and curbs, once you get in line and someone pulls in behind you, you are committed. So you order and wait, since you aren’t getting out of line or going anywhere until everyone in front of you does as well.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Not for me, I’m very quick to walk out if I’m getting annoyed or ignored. I may come back, but chances are I’ll wind up somewhere else. That may take longer sometimes, but it probably evens out in the end, and I’d rather spend the same amount of time trying for efficient service than waiting for inefficient service. (Of course, being politely and/or apologetically asked to wait goes a long way.)

• Griking says:

Almost every placve that I go to that has a drive thru window seems to ignore the front counter because there’s a big timer above the drive thru window. It drives me nuts, some Dunkin Donuts have 3 or 4 people with drive thru head sets on with one of them backing up on the front counter.

Every time I run into this I take advantage of the surveys that seem to be more popular on receipts to call and say what a shitty policy it is. My money is just as good as the person it the drive thru’s money is.

12. Turnabout is Flair Play says:

I don’t pull up. They’ve asked me a few times, I say no. There’s generally a language barrier that prevents much further conversation.

• Hoss says:

So we all got to wait for your onion rings too? Nicely done…

• uberbitter says:

The point is that the vast majority of the time, they are only asking you to pull forward to shave a few seconds off the timer, not because it’s actually going to take a while. My experiences have been exactly the same as the Turnabout’s – they ask me twice, I refuse but don’t really understand me because they don’t speak English. And then my food magically appears. This all takes about 5 seconds.

• Turnabout is Flair Play says:

Exactly what Uber said. Once they understand that you’re not scooting up to save them the 5 seconds, they get the order to you pretty quickly.

• common_sense84 says:

No they won’t. There is no way to speed up a fryer. You are going to wait the same amount of time no matter if you pull up or not.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

You work in a fast food restaurant? Or do (you think) you just know everything?

• bethied says:

Seriously. I’ve worked in fast food. Being a stubborn twit might get you your food faster, but it probably isn’t cooked as well. I’ve definitely served many mushy not-quite-done fries to impatient self-entitled jackasses.

• Rachacha says:

I did this at a BK. There was no one behind me and the cashier asked me to move up. I refused and said if/when a customer came up behind me and they could show that I was delaying receipt of their order I would move up, but until then, I was staying where I was. The manager then came over and asked me to move up. I again politely declined. She informed me that I was screwing up their average time, to which I replied “Well, rather than arguing with me the customer, you should get back and manage your employees to find out what the delay is.” 3 seconds later I had my food (which I carefully checked before pulling away from the window).

13. Mike says:

This is the guy you should blame: http://weblogs.asp.net/blogs/jeff/lumbergh.jpg

His name is Bill Lumbergh and we have all worked for him at one time or another. He is that manager that keeps insisting on stupid policies and contests that have little to do with actually getting your job done. In this case some douche named Bill thought the drive-thru timer was a great idea in his office, not realizing what a disaster it is on the ground.

Now excuse me, I have a meeting with the Bobs in a couple of minutes.

14. LankanDude says:

Is it illegal to park in the handicap spot, even if the driver is in the car?
    I mean if a handicap person comes in to park there you could always pullout.

• jesirose says:

And how would they signal to you that they needed to park there? They could honk, but in a busy parking lot, are you going to realize that’s why someone is honking, and that it’s at you?

• AnonymousCoward says:

Well, yeah. It is illegal. And the tickets are damn expensive.

• GearheadGeek says:

It’s generally not considered parking if the driver is in the car with the keys. If the engine is running, it’s “Stopping” and if the engine is switched off it’s “Standing.” It becomes “Parking” when the vehicle is not attended by the driver.

• Jimmy60 says:

One day I was sitting in my car waiting to pick up a friend when someone starts knocking on my window. It was a cop who presented me with a parking ticket. I was “stopped” in a no parking zone.

• LankanDude says:

Good to know for future reference :-)
          But by standing in a ‘No Parking’ zone, one might be obstructing traffic. On the other hand in a handicap parking spot it’s just utilizing the space until it’s rightful owner comes by.
          I’m not arguing your story, just looks like the current laws on this sound stupid.

• nonsane says:

The pullout method isn’t 100% effective..

I mean that in more than one method

• massageon says:

“Well Mary you can’t park here it’s handicapped” “If a cripple comes, I’ll move” DDG

15. ttw1 says:

Eventually, corporate will devise a video system to thwart these practices. The technology is cheap enough.

16. Jenn98765 says:

Having to pull over to wait for the food is annoying, but “flabbergasted” over a “morality issue” is a bit of an overreaction to the suggestion to pull into the handicapped space for 5 minutes.

• mbbbus says:

Flabbergasted might not be the best word to use. Neither is moral. But the OP is right in that this presents an ethical problem. Being asked to park in a spot reserved for the disabled to keep the drive-thru workers happy is a unethical on the part of the workers, and creates an ethical problem for the OP.

17. Aaron Anderson says:

There aren’t, to the best of my understanding, any automated timers. But when they hand you your food out the window they press a “served” button. Some places have big timers in the kitchen that show how many seconds the person at the front of the queue has been waiting. They keep track of these and award the fastest shifts or teams or store, etc.

They were out of something that this person needed. Let’s say they needed more fries…. They “serve” your order, ask you to pull forward and then print a little kitchen order receipt to keep track of it and bring you your food 2 minutes later without being penalized for not having enough fries in the hopper.

Those of you who have had to wait 20 minutes after pulling forward, it’s because they didn’t print your “kitchen bump ticket” or something along those lines and you were basically forgotten about.

• Dory says:

Forgive me, but where do you get your information from? You’re more or less completely wrong here.

I know for a fact that several local restaurants have automated order management and customer detection at their drive-through: it detects when your car arrives at the window, it detects when you pull out, and it records that information for statistical analysis. Employees who don’t meet a quota are reprimanded or fired. Not only is this why some places abuse the “please park” system (which gets you past the window, so the timer clicks over, so their numbers stay low) or ask you to reverse and pull back up to the window, or ask you to pull forward and then reverse, or whatever else. It’s a well-known and common technique, as even a cursory google will show.

As to waiting 20 minutes, it’s quite common. Joe gets to the window, Joe gets asked to pull over, and they then serve Cindy, Jack, Bill, Tim and Edwina–all of whom were behind Joe in the queue–before they get back to Joe. Joe ends up waiting 20 minutes for cold burgers. It’s nothing to do with “kitchen bump” and everything to do with trying to cheat the timer.

• SunnyLea says:

Depends on the joint, actually.

Some work the way you’ve said, but enough drive-throughs lack the detection policy that it’s not the best idea to assume the only reason you are being asked to pull forward is to “cheat.”

It’s equally possible that they just didn’t have quite enough fries in the hopper. Really.

• SGT. E. G. ROCK says:

* Sorry Aaron,
      But you are soooooo wrong, it isn’t even funny…
      Having unfortunately manged more than a few of the different “fast-food” restaurants,
      I hate to tell you.. If there is a drive-thru.. there is an automated timer..
      And they DON’T hit a “SERVED” button to stop it.
      The timer keeps ticking until the vehicle pulls off the serving pad area.
      In every place I have worked, that damn drive-thru timer was the only
      thing that would get me mad.
      They ( the company ) would rather you get it out FAST than GOOD !
      When it came to drive-thru sales… it was almost 75 percent of our business,
      and QUANTITY always took precedence over QUALITY !
      And while driving around the building might help your “AVERAGE TIME”,
      backing up over the serving pad actual did more to LOWER your total times…
      There had been many a busy night when I wanted to take a baseball bat to
      that damn drive-thru timer…!
      I even complained about the “timer contests” , to the point of saying..
      “” Why don’t we have them throw the money at us as we lobe the food at them
      while they drive by the window at 60 miles per hour. ? “”
      Customer service has NOTHING to do with QUALITY when it comes to “drive-thru food” !
      Personally, I NEVER have and NEVER will use the drive thru…
      First ~ because of the reasons listed here..
      Second ~ because you are more likely to have a screw up on your order ..
      Third ~ I’ll be damned if I’m paying 2 and change for a soda and not get refills, I’ll eat inside. !

P.S. A side note to the original topic. ~
      * As a former officer; HANDICAPPED PARKING is enforceable ANYWHERE there is a business.. That is why they are REQUIRED BY LAW to have a certain percentage of spots available, based on total number of spots in the lot.
      * NEVER, ever pull in a handicapped spot, just because it’s the closest for them to run out to..!
      Because you won’t get your food “your way” .. You’ll get it the officers way..
      with a side order of citation !!!

18. ElizabethD says:

Even before I started redlining fast-food (very recently), I was getting fed up enough with the “pull over” crap at Burger King to begin avoiding the place. And I love me a Whopper Junior.

One rainy night, not only was I asked to pull into the parking lot but then to COME IN after a few minutes to get my order because they didn’t have enough staff to send someone outside with our order. Umm, if I’d wanted to leave my car to buy some food I wouldn’t have gone through the drive-thru. FAIL

19. scoutiebear says:

Do the police actually ticket for private property parking issues unless summoned? Seems like not that big a deal if you’re actually in the car, waiting, and able to move your vehicle at once if someone comes and wants to use the spot. In a world of refugees, lack of clean water and food, uncontrolled disease and suffering over much of the world, this seems like an extremely small potatoes ethical issue to be worried about. On the other hand, I took time out to reply to your tiny little problem, so what does that make me? Sigh..

• humphrmi says:

Here in northeast Illinois (Chicagoland) they do. And it’s 500 smackers.

And the argument that we have to solve all the world’s problems before we can take an ethical stand is specious.

20. Pax says:

Simply put, I would decline to move. “No, I’m sorry, but I’ve already paid and I’m not leaving this window until I get my food – or my money back.”

• Michaela says:

That is probably the best (and most polite) response I have read so far in the comments. No need to be a dirtbag about pulling forward, but it is important to state that you do not wish to move (I refuse because I always get forgotten when I pull out of the drive-thru lane).

21. RayanneGraff says:

I don’t really blame employees for doing this. That timer crap is complete bullshit. I have been in jobs where I was timed like that. My last job in fact- we had to get the phone in under 3 rings no matter what was going on in the store. We could have a line out the damn door and we were still required to ignore people to answer the phone. The head honchos would actually call up there randomly & count the rings & we’d get audited if they got to 4. You wanna bitch about stuff like this? Bitch at the corporate assholes who set these ridiculous metrics, not at the employees who have to follow them at the risk of losing their jobs for taking 3 seconds too long to serve your fucking fries.

• Jimmy60 says:

LOL

I run a small retail store and it is my policy that people in my store have the highest priority. In fact I will not answer the phone while dealing face to face with someone. It’s funny because the phone will start ringing and I just ignore it. Some people become obviously stressed by the unanswered phone. I can see them look at the phone and then look at me like I’m insane.

22. tweeder82o says:

lest for the bad weather and/or kids, just go inside.

23. javert says:

Yes…whatever you self centered people do is please do not think about the other people in line. By parking you, they may be able to move two or three cars through that had orders that could be completed quicker.

Yes, BK’s motives were probably on the timer but if you actually remember that there are other people in the world, it might have gotten them their food faster and you got yours at the same time, whether you park or wait at the window.

Quit being so self centered and selfish and think of others. Every hear of the concept of other people?

• TimothyT says:

I could see your point if they ordered 15-20 whoppers and fries but a normal order? It is short-sighted to think that allowing the employees to bypass the timers is a good thing for the drive-thru customers. If I managed it, I would want to know about failures so that I could make the corrections needed to deliver the food on time for everyone.

• sqlrob says:

So instead the restaurant is self centered not thinking about the handicapped people that might need that spot?

24. Guppy06 says:

Depends on the legal definition of “parked.”

25. SabreDC says:

Does the OP have proof that they are cheating the timer? When I worked at McDonald’s back in the late 90s/early 00s, we often asked customers to pull ahead. However, there was a separate button on the monitors labeled “Hold”. Pressing the button cleared the order from the active screen, but it was still timed until you went into the Hold screen and cleared it completely with the “Served” button. There was a little counter at the bottom of the monitor with a flashing number of held orders.

Just because they asked you to pull over doesn’t mean they did so to cheat the timer.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

If you pull over, and they forget about you, they are cheating.

• SabreDC says:

Again, if they follow the procedure (which includes the guidelines for asking someone to pull over), their timers will still keep track and it will continue to count. It’s cheating if they clear the order before it was served and there is no indication that they did that.

26. cracksammich says:

Thursday night, I was asked to back up behind the yellow pole in the drive thru at Burger King. I was the only car in line. 17 minutes later, I was served my food and given my change.

27. common_sense84 says:

There is no law that says you cannot park in a handicapped spot for something like a Bk.

Federal law for spots only is enforced for public buildings. Private businesses have to be covered under local ordinances and most places do not have local ordinances that make it a ticketable offense.

It’s their restaurant, they can use the spaces how they want. They aren’t even required to have any spaces if they don’t want them.

• SabreDC says:

Actually, fast food restaurants are required under the ADA to have handicapped parking spots, restroom stalls, etc. Any food/drink establishment qualifies as a “public accommodation”, see ADA III-1.2000.

• bwcbwc says:

And the fines for parking in handicapped spots are legislated at the state level, regardless of what the federal law is anyway.

• Dalsnsetters says:

Considering they are an establishment that serves the public, they *are* required to have them. Check out the ADA and Federal guidelines.

But hey! Thanks for playing!

28. samonela says:

While no where near the magnitude of being asked to pull into a parking space for the disabled, the other day I had to leave about 5 am for a long drive. I went to a Del Taco and ordered a $2 breakfast combo. Simply two egg burritos and 5 hash brown sticks.

I went up to the window, paid, and was immediately asked by the window guy “would you mind doing me a favor and pulling around to the menu board again? I’m trying to “fix” something that is wrong with my timer. When you get to the board I’ll let you know when to pull forward again.”

Having worked fast food as a teen, I knew that “fix” actually meant “make it look like I served two cars in less than 20 seconds each.”

Had he told me honestly what he wanted to do, I would have been more than happy to help a guy out. Been there before and corporate sucks. But telling me he had to “fix” something felt a little insulting. So in all of my passive-aggressiveness, I complied only so that I could forward a narrative of the incident on to corporate. Haven’t heard back yet.

29. The Twilight Clone says:

You seriously need less free time if parking in a handicap space for a few minutes raises a serious “morality” issue for you. Park in the space, wait for your food, drive off. Everybody happy. Could not possibly be simpler. Is driving over the speed limit immoral to you as well? Because I bet you do that without thinking, and it’s orders of magnitude more dangerous than the scenario you describe here.

You should see the Target store near where I live. There’s got to be an acre of handicap parking spaces, 90% of which are never occupied.

• Merricat says:

Well that’s great, I guess I’ll drive over to your Target then the next time they ask me to do this. Or maybe you need to grow some ethics.

• Red_Flag says:

Please go park in a handicap space, get ticketed by a cop, pay the fine and *then* come back and harp about the ethics involved.

30. Merricat says:

Ah I remember my days as a fast food employee. The manager who was completely aware of the fact that 99% of his employees were completely oblivious to what a manager could and could not demand. The mandatory unpaid overtime, being told to climb shelving to get 50 pound boxes that were stored on the top shelf, and yet if you weren’t over 18 you weren’t allowed to touch the sole knife kept in the store to cut tomatoes…

And the scams, the managers received bonuses on how fast the average wait time for their shift were, so the night manager always forced the drive through people to shove through as many ‘water orders’ as possible so it’d look we were the shit.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I go home to visit the folks. It’s a real pick me up to go in and order some fries and realize that over two decades later, I’m a college graduate with a rewarding job and that greasy little shit is still trying to live off his night manager wages…

• The Twilight Clone says:

Maybe that “greasy little shit” is earning a living and needs his job. And you tell ME to grow ethics.

• Red_Flag says:

Considering that you’re defending the “greasy little shit” who was running scams — yes, yes, you do need to grow a set of morals.

31. johnrhoward says:

It never occured to me that this had anything to do with cheating a timer, and I don’t really care if it does. I always thought it was so everyone behind you didn’t have to wait longer because of whatever you ordered.

32. holden190 says:

I’ve been asked to move my car once while waiting for food – I think at McDonald’s.

I refused, and waited right there till I received my food.

33. Blious says:

I don’t see the issue. Just move forward.

In the times that I have done so, my food has come out shortly

There is absolutely NOTHING good that comes from bitching and moaning about something that will NOT change

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Umm, it seems the people who did complain got their orders right away. So you are dead wrong.

But cynicism is so attractive, so please, do go on…

34. shepd says:

If you remain in the driver’s seat with the car in gear, it’s not parking. I believe that’s classed as standing/stopping, and therefore it isn’t illegal to do in a disabled space (Only parking there without a permit is illegal). A traffic cop would just ask you to move, and if you refuse, you can then be ticketed. But IANAL.

Morally, it is lame, though.

35. JG2002 says:

maybe all the spots were filled, so they had you pull into the handicap. It’s not the end of the world dude.

36. failurate says:

Seriously, just pull in somewhere other than the handicap spot, they will find you when your food is ready.

I appears the OP has been thoroughly trained to always follow orders from people in uniform. That BK uniform and all the authority that comes with it can be pretty intimidating.

37. Pavlov's Dog says:

I sometimes wish that I didn’t live in the city so that I could participate in this insanity. Personally, I wouldn’t move forward if they asked (unless I made a difficult special order) and tell them that they can either give me my food or my money, but I won’t move without one of them.

38. Shmoodog says:

This seems ridiculous to me. I usually prefer to walk in than drive-thru, and if I was ever asked to pull aside because my food was taking too long…I would refuse. Plain and simple. I am under no obligation to move my car, especially after I paid without receiving my food. Making room for Other people waiting to make their order so THEY can wait too? No, uh uh, if you can’t operate a drive thru properly, close it down. Not my responsibility or fault.

39. HogwartsProfessor says:

If I go get fast food, I usually go in, especially at Taco Bell. That way I can check my order before I leave and have them fix it right then if necessary. ESPECIALLY at Taco Bell. Every time I hit the drive-thru there, they screw it up. It doesn’t matter which store it is, either!

40. Vroom_Socko says:

This may or not be a little known fact, but McDonald’s have/had a policy that an obviously intoxicated driver in drive-thru is asked to pull over, as their order is going to “take a couple extra minutes”. They then call the local police. Did this happen to me? No, my dad (who used to drive drunk semi-regularly) got busted for impaired driving this way. When he called me to pick him up and told me the story, I laughed and laughed.
    It was also the only time I was able to, at 17, call my Dad a “stupid @#$%ing idiot ” and get away with it.
    I am also aware that D&D is in no way humorous and that getting busted was the best thing that happened to my old man.

41. MikeyMike says:

In NJ if you park or even stand (pull into the space and stay in the car) in a handicapped space, you can be ticketed. The usual fine is $500 and you must appear in court, you cannot just send in your payment. You can also be towed.

42. LastError says:

The BK clerk ain’t gonna pay your ticket for parking there illegally. So don’t do it.

Hell, don’t play “cheat the timer” either.

I like to go in an order. They have a harder time cheating when I am standing there and cannot, like, move or go away.

• bkemployee says:

we dont cheat the timer, there isnt cheating anything. because we still have to go outside in whatever weather conditions to bring you your food. and if u come inside and give us a dirty look or a dirty glare dont expect to get anything great for food. if your nice you get better things just sayin.

43. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I’d pull forward for 2 free apples pies.
    Quid pro quo.
    I’ll try that next time they ask.

44. joecoolest says:

When a fast food joint asks me to “pull forward”… I reply… “No thank you.”… If they insist… I simply say “I would like my money back”. At which time I refuse to accept anything OTHER than my money back.

IMHO, asking me to pull forward is there way of telling me “You’ll get your food when we get around to it”.

• crazydavythe1st says:

Entitlement much? I used to work fast food – either way, you’re gonna get your food when they get around to it.

Which is usually when it is ready. You’re not going to be served faster just because you make everyone else wait. That just lets them stand around waiting for your food to be ready.

• joecoolest says:

Perhaps if you understood more about customer service your employment opportunities would expand beyond the drive through window. I’m entitled to not be moved to the side to be ignored AFTER they have taken my money. The proper way to handle this is to inform you as you are ordering or paying that your order will be delayed.

• crazydavythe1st says:

Thankfully, my employment opportunities have expanded far beyond fast food, partially because of customer service skills I learned in fast food.

In most cases you aren’t being ignored. I was perhaps too snarky in my first comment, but have you tried pulling off to the side? If you are truly being ignored that is a HUGE problem. Customers that I would park were the best treated customers at the store. These people were people that came for fast food and instead had to wait as long as it would take to go to a nicer restaurant. As far as I was concerned, dessert was always free and depending on how long they waited – their entire meal could be free with coupons for another meal. I think I agree on the money exchange thing. I had never considered it, but you really shouldn’t have to pay until you start receiving food. That’s not something I had power over.

You’re entitled to do almost anything you want as a paying customer.You can sit in the drive thru, but I promise it usually won’t make things faster. It’s really a matter of “you’ll get your food as soon as it comes out of the deep fryer/off the grill”.

45. Bunkka says:

They do this a lot at a local Wendy’s. They also use a metal bucket to trigger something. With a straight-forward order, I have spent as little as 2-3 minutes waiting and up to 20+ mins waiting. I don’t like it a bit.

There is a bunch of hub-bub over whether a person should pull up or not. Who fracking cares? Do you tell the old woman with the check to get out of the way so you can just pay for your milk at the grocery store? Do you complain about the person getting a full on style ahead of you when you just need a trim? People get all bent out of shape about entitlement these days over some stupid stuff. How about this? I am making a transaction ahead of you, wait your turn.

People are saying that the person that doesn’t pull up is being selfish. I can’t imagine the person a couple cars back in line not being selfish when they say “THAT guy needs to move so I can get MY food.”.

46. Volendral says:

Am I the only one who read the story? The guy wasn’t complaining about having to pull forward, he even said he was fine with it. What he didn’t like was being told to park in a handicapped spot.

47. sopmodm14 says:

those at corporate really think thats a big frigging deal ?

if thats the case, i want to see if they were even a second late for work, ever

what if there was a mad rush for food ?

what if there was no one waiting at drive through ? do they get in trouble if no one is hungry or something ?

48. Jasen says:

They didn’t ask you to pull over to defeat their timers, it was to get you out of the way, so other customers could potentially get THEIR food and move on.

49. Jerem43 says:

Often we move you along if something is cooking so we don’t make others wait. With our computerized holding and par system sudden rushes can cause us to run short on cooked product. Burgers will take two and a half minutes to run through the broiler, while TenderGrill, Tender Crisp, Fish and Steakhouse all taking about five minutes to cook.

50. Extractor says:

I hate cheese and for some reason even if I order it without, its on there so I always go inside for my order and watch them make my burgers. Most of the time I see them screw it up before its even wrapped and tell them.
    Ive been playing the dollar menu at both Burger king and McDonalds for a month now. Today was the first time that I was refused the $ Burger since I wanted no cheese and therefore a modification. Earlier today I got my wife a $1 coffee, reciept 1. Then later, I bought 2 double burgers and drink, reciept 2. As I was leaving I got a chicken sandwich, reciept 3. On the back of these reciepts is a free whopper offer with any drink and fry. So for $2 I will get a whopper, fry, and drink. Just needed to call and answer a few questions and they give you a code.
    Seems like at 2:30am fewer questions were asked before the code was given.
    This is what I figure we should do. 1-Buy a coffee with drive-thru 2-Answer survey during break 3-Get Whopper meal for lunch (and do the survey on that reciept too) Could do that for dinner too but not too healthy.
    BTW-I thought their motto was “Have It Your Way”. Gonna contact corporate on that.

51. crazydavythe1st says:

Asking someone to park in a handicap spot is wrong, but it’s amusing to see everyone comment about “cheating the timer”.

AHEM, from my brief stint in fast food – McDonald’s own corporate provided training materials TELL employees to park cars. It is what you are SUPPOSED to do. No, it is not the policy of just one store, it is in a training manual that comes directly from corporate. It’s not some conspiracy to lower drive-thru times unless they are parking more than a certain number of cars (two usually).

Another situation where someone that has no clue seeks to pass judgement on something he or she knows absolutely nothing about.

• crazydavythe1st says:

and yes, you are supposed to do it even if no one is waiting. The idea being that someone could cruise in behind you, order a coke, and you’re still sitting there and getting you to park up ahead takes time.

Besides, anyone that has actually worked this stuff (I may be the only one here that has worked a blue collar job before it seems), knows that there are MUCH easier ways to cheat the drive-thru times. They’re not doing it to inconvenience you for some grand benefit on their drive-thru times. Heck, it’s easier on the drive-thru person for you to just sit at the window waiting with a line of cars behind you, trust me. People that refused to move were the ones that allowed me to stand around doing nothing, since many of the people behind the car waiting hadn’t reached the speaker yet.

• SGT. E. G. ROCK says:

* Then you were obviously NOT the manager,
        but just a simple lackey, without “district” breathing
        down YOUR neck about your high drive-thru times ! *

52. zxo says:

When I worked drive-thru, I actually used to do this. Yeah it was illegal, but I’m not sure what else could have been done. I worked at a fast-food Italian place, and part of the menu was hot baked sandwiches and French bread pizzas — these were made to order and took 5-10 minutes to be ready. At the same time, our drive-thru was moronically built in a single lane with absolutely no way for one car to get around another. AFAIK we weren’t given bonuses for service times (at least I never was, maybe the managers), but we also didn’t want people waiting for 20 minutes for spaghetti (which would be made right away, and become cold by the time they got to the window) behind 4 straight sub orders. So if their order included a sub, we’d give them everything else that was ready and then have them pull around to the front of the building, telling them to pull into the handicapped unloading zone if necessary, so we could find them. Otherwise, most of the parking was in the back of the building, so I’d have to try to go track them down when I could be taking more orders.

Understandably, not everyone was comfortable pulling into the handicapped space, so I’d sometimes find them idling in the driving area or would have to track them down in the back lot.

53. dunaja says:

This is not entirely about timer cheating… that’s a bit cynical.

Many times, it’s because customer A’s order is gargantuan or a specialty and customer B, behind him, ordered something like a small coke. How would you like to be customer B, sitting in the line behind customer A and his order of 37 whoppers, each made to order differently?

Sometimes, asking one person to pull into a spot allows 5 people to be served before that person’s food is ready. The last time I had to park, it probably took a good 7 minutes or so but my food came out as hot and fresh as I have ever eaten it, and I was mighty satisfied.

54. jdjonsson says:

I’ve been asked to do that at Burger King several times, with nobody behind me. I refuse. If someone pulls in behind me, I might consider it. What are they gonna do to make me move?

55. Aox says:

This happened to me at my local McDonalds back in 2000. There was no one behind me, the parking lot was almost empty, and they were lagging. She told me to move forward to the drive through pickup spot because my order wasn’t ready. I was sick of waiting, and told them no, there’s no one behind me, your manager needs to know you guys lag so bad. She then called me an asshole. So I called their district manager, and she was fired, and he said thank you haha.

56. el-brazo-onofre says:

At a BK, I was told that if I didn’t move over, a loud alarm would sound.

57. pyrobryan says:

Are people really this helpless? You can’t make a decision for yourself? If you don’t want to park in a handicapped space, tell them “It’s illegal for me to park there. I’ll be in this other nearby parking space instead.” Backing up through the drive through line because the Burger King employee said to is about as smart as turning the wrong way down a one way street because your GPS said to. Don’t want to back up? Drive forward and go around instead. Grow your own brain and don’t be a moron. Heck, if there’s no one in the drive through line, just tell them that you would prefer to wait at the window and that you’ll pull out of the way if another customer comes through. Learn to think for yourself.

58. bighossy says:

Nevwer park in any handicapped parking space unless told to do so by a law enforcement officer. Otherwise you will have violated the law and could face a stiff fine. The server at the drive-through window has no authority to allow you to violate the law in this way and you will not likely get off if you tell that cop that, “Well, the server at the windoew said it was O.K.”

59. EEW says:

This is what happens quite often at fast food places – lets say 3 cars are in the drive-through but the first one is holding on a fish fillet hold the tartar sauce. The orders for the 2nd and 3rd car are ready. Why not pull forward (if you are in the 1st car)? Is it the end of the world? No, and it is nice for the people in the 2nd and 3rd car if you do.

60. jaxco says:

I work at BK and we don’t pull people up to cheat our timer. We pull someone up if they order food that needs to be cooked fresh. Say we have no tendergrills cooked, and someone orders 1. It takes like 4:45 to cook a tendergrill. If a car comes up behind them and orders a whopper, which takes about 30 seconds to make, then it makes complete sense to tell the tendergrill to pull up, and no one seems to mind doing so. As soon as the food for the pulled up car is done, someone takes it out to them

61. bkemployee says:

I work at a burgerking in massachusetts. I have asked multiple people to pull up to stop the timers, i have endured the multiple jerks that come high or drunk through the drive thru. We ask you to pull up front because either we are making you fresh food, because we have run out and it takes time to cook it, i.e. steakhouse and tendergrill take 5 minutes each to cook so if you order fresh food then u hold the line up ten minutes which is not good for business. Also at my store the managers get in trouble by the corporation if our time for the drive thru isnt under 3 minutes. We have strict rules about many things and the time is one of them, if we are told by a manager to park a car, we have to ask you.

62. bkemployee says: