Walmart Auto Care Leaves Car Unlocked With Ignition On, Wanders Off

Peter copied Consumerist on his letter to Walmart about his baffling recent experience with a local Auto Care Center. The ever-helpful technicians–who, as he learned later, were apparently random people drafted to perform oil changes on an understaffed day–left Peter’s car unlocked and unattended in the parking lot, with the ignition on but the motor not running, despite his explicit instructions. Would you have shrugged the incident off, or been as angry as Peter?

My name is Peter [redacted] and I am writing today to express a deep concern about the Auto Care Center at your Walmart Store #[redacted]. I had arrived at the store right about 615pm on September 1st for an oil change on my 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara. I was told it would be 1hr 45 mins for the oil change. That was fine as me and my wife were going to walk to a nearby restaurant for dinner.

The associate filled out information on the handheld scanner and went out to check the mileage. When he came back in, I asked him; “Did you lock the car door, I have my work laptop and GPS in the car.” The associate stated ” I did not lock it, don’t worry, we will be pulling it in momentarily”. I said ok, and me and my wife proceeded out the door to go have dinner. An hour went by and we came back and the car was still in the same spot, so I decided to look in the passenger side window to see if they put the new sticker on signaling a complete oil change.

But then I got upset. Not because the oil change had not been done, but I noticed that my radio was on and other items as well. I walked around to the driver side of the car to still find my car unlocked. Now, my car is one of these new cars that you do not have to use a key for, as long as the keyfob is in the car you can turn the ignition. But, then you can take the key out of the car and it will still start and drive away without the key in the car. So, my car sat in the parking lot for an hour unlocked with the ignition turned to the accessory position with my work laptop and GPS in the car and anyone could have just gotten in the car, started it and driven off!

We went inside and question the technician, my wife said to him, “You left the car on for an hour draining the battery and anyone could have taken the car.” To which his response was, “Well, sorry, but if the battery would of went bad we would have just jumped it.” He did not seem to care that the car was unlocked and on. I heard the other tech in the garage on the way out to the car to ensure he turned it off and locked it say to the other tech “It’s not a big deal, there is no key so it will not start.” This is also a wrong statement.

My wife and I went up and talked to the assistant manager of the store and she told me that they are short staffed back there and had people helping out that were not techs. But when I went back out to check, the original associate that took my order that said when I got there that “There was only one tech and and I’m not it”, was under a car doing an oil change. That worries me as well, if he is not a tech, what is he doing under a car performing oil changes?

So, the manager told me she would discuss the issue with them and that she would make sure it did not happen again. You know, I have been a Wal-Mart shopper for quite a few years now, I buy all of my groceries from there versus another local chain down the road, but this is the second time now with an oil change that I have had a sour experience, the other being at [redacted], near where I work. I have paid $57 dollars and change for this oil change, but it could of cost Walmart a lot more, like an insurance claim for a stolen car and this situation may deter me from shopping with Walmart in the future. I thank you for your time.

Sending this letter was important, since Walmart should know precisely who is dealing with their customers’ cars. However, the lesson for Peter here is clear: stop taking his car to Walmart. (Also, stop leaving his laptop and GPS in the unattended car, whether it’s locked or not.)

Comments

1. MikeM_inMD says:

1) You should never leave valuables in your car when handing the keys to anyone else.
    2) Ask neighbors, friends, and co-workers for recommendations for a good, reliable mechanic. It may cost more, but you will get better service.

• catnapped says:

#2 was his first mistake…don’t get work done at Walmart!

and #1 was close behind…anyone else do a facepalm when they saw the “I left my laptop and GPS there”? I shudder to leave any of those in a LOCKED car, never mind one that others have access to.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I found it ridiculous that he expected Wal-Mart to take care of them. Not only that, he basically advertised that he had expensive goods in the car.

• dangerp says:

Right, the #1 problem was going to a place like walmart, instead of a local businessman, both for the oil change, and the groceries.

• jeffbone says:

I’ll second (third) these recommendations. It’s difficult for me to comprehend that a neighborhood independent shop would charge more than $57 for an oil change, however — and the service is almost guaranteed to be better than at Wal-mart.

• Powerlurker says:

Hell, I can get my oil changed at the dealer for $30, and they wash it too.

• BBBB says:

My mechanic charges that much, however, that is for synthetic oil and a racing filter (he recommends racing filters for performance cars). On the other hand, he also will readjust lots of little things at no charge and tell me about anything else he feels I should keep an eye on.

He sometimes tells me that something needs replacing and that I shouldn’t pay a mechanic to do it.
        Also, he sometimes tells me that something is wearing out and when I can’t stand the noise I should have it fixed – The noise will be unbearable before it is unsafe.

Sounds like good advice…

Though, I’ve been going to the same mechanic for close to twenty years. I would have no reservation about leaving my GPS or cell phone when he’s working on my car.

• Lando242 says:

Where I live there was a local group of thieves that would troll parking lots at repair places just because of people with that mentality. Sure, the mechanic wont take your radio, GPS, CDs, title or other odd items left in your car but chances are his parking lot is minimally protected, if at all. Most of the places around here don’t even have a fence let alone cameras or guards. Even if you don’t keep anything valuable in the car they would smash a window just to rummage through people that left the odd bag of cloths or some other such junk inside.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

For some reason I don’t think that would be a problem where I go. My mechanic’s shop is at the very end of a hollow, along a windy country road. When cars are done, they’re parked right in front of the service bay. Keys are left in the ignition, doors unlocked, and windows down on hot days.

My car is safer there than parked in front of my own house.

• MrEvil says:

I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a good, reliable mechanic. They all seem to be out to fuck you sooner or later. I have a long and sordid tale of my Crown Vic’s Air conditioning, which I won’t bore you with but a quick summary.

When you give a mechanic $700 to fix something on your car you’d have expected him to at least perform the least little bit of troubleshooting prior to buying parts and waste labor (the bulk of that cost) fucking around in the dashboard replacing an evaporator core that has nothing wrong with it. That $700 could have gone towards the rear axle bearings and shafts and the AC compressor, which took 4 trips to 2 different mechanics to figure that out (yet my dad and I had already figured that out before we even brought it in!)

• mechteach1 says:

I (somewhat) disagree. I lived in Atlanta for five years and *never* found a good mechanic. They all seemed to fall back on that “you need a new timing belt, little lady” scam. However, I have lived in Pittsburgh for 10 years, and there seem to be an abundance of good, reliable mechanics around. We have been going to two of them for 8+ years now (they specialize in different things), and have never been scammed.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Where do you go in Pittsburgh?

I used to have good luck with the shop off of Murray (I think it was Forward Ave) going towards the on ramp to the highway. I’m drawing a blank on his name but he was always busy. If he was too swamped I’d go the place on the corner of Hutchinson & Braddock in Regent Square.

• mechteach1 says:

We like Lou Iezzi & Sons on Bryant St. in Highland Park. The other one is (perhaps shockingly) Monro Muffler at the corner of Negley and Penn. The latter is a chain (obviously), but the core team has been there for the last 10 years, and they run an honest, skillful shop, and remember their repeat customers.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I used to drive past Lou Iezzi & Sons all the time. I lived on Stanton Ave (next to the park) for close to two years in the mid 90′s.

• prismatist says:

Umm…you do realize that you do need to change your timing belt at the specified interval, right? If you think a mechanic is scamming you on that, check your owner’s manual. If it’s scheduled, do it. It’s a couple of hundred dollars to do now. When that belt breaks (which it eventually will, 100% guaranteed), it will cause the entire engine to self-destruct, requiring an entire new engine – easily 10 times the cost of the belt job.

• partofme says:

Only if it’s an interference engine. Otherwise, the belt will break and strand you for a while, but you won’t end up with holes in pistons or smashed valves. (You can also get lucky. My dad had a car with an interference engine, popped a timing belt, but when I pulled it apart, everything was just fine and started right up when it all went back together… just don’t count on this.) But yea, you should probably have the timing belt replaced at the recommended service interval.

• Laura Northrup says:

Yes, you do need to replace your timing belt. However, when you just got a new one the previous year and they’re trying to sell you a new one, it’s time to find a new mechanic.

• mechteach1 says:

*Exactly!* I know a lot about repairing engines, and when it has been less than 7000 gentle miles from the last replacement, it’s a probably a scam.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That’s a shame you’re having a hard time with your car. The Crown Vic is one of the most reliable and easiest to work on cars in existence.

• veritybrown says:

There are good, reliable mechanics out there, but they are not always easy to find, and some towns/cities may not have one at all. A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold, and the times when we have lived in towns that didn’t have one were depressing indeed.

• Julia789 says:

If you find one particular guy at the dealer you like, sometimes you can bribe them a little to work on your car on the side, for a little cash, at your house or theirs.

They have to be top secret about it though, because some of them have employment contracts saying they won’t do that. So don’t ask within earshot of anyone else at the dealer, and protect their privacy by not telling anyone else about it.

Instead hand them your business card discreetly and say if they’d ever like to work on your car on the side to contact you. They are welcome to take your card and contact you later, say “sorry I can’t” or just discard it later. Leave it up to them. You can always say “Sorry I didn’t know there was a policy against it” and play dumb.

A friend has gotten many discounted repairs done in this manner, by a mechanic that is certified and specialized in her make of car. Obviously she would not do this for major repairs that needed a lift or special equipment, but for a quick belt change, fan problem, etc. he’s happy to stop by her house and swap it out for a fraction of the price. On an older car, it saves quite a bit.

I’ve done this when I found a hairdresser I liked at a fancy salon. She now cuts my hair in her kitchen for $40 cash instead of $100 the fancy salon charges. I imagine there are all sorts of applications for this tactic. Maybe it’s a little underhanded, but hey, they can always turn me down if they are uncomfortable with it.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

If you’re going to go to that much trouble, why not just go to an independent repair shop? Unless you’re driving something exotic, “certified and specialized” doesn’t really mean anything.

• halfawakedad says:

Never, never, never, EVER leave a laptop unattended. EVER. And you should absolutely encrypt the hard drive with something like TrueCrypt (open-source whole-disk-encryption software), just in case.

That way, you’re out a laptop but not the personal and/or business info therein.

• sleze69 says:

The best way to find a good mechanic in your area is to find the fan website dedicated to your car (they exist for just about every car – my wife’s Honda Odessey even has a web page) and ask the community. Chances are someone on the site knows your area and can give you advice.

2. SJPadbury says:

Not to mention $57 is highway robbery for an oil change…

• justdragit says:

Mine costs that on average. I have a full size truck not some little micro machine. Costs that every time no matter where I go.

• Chmeeee says:

“Some little micro machine?”

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I guess you don’t know what a Grand Vitara is…it’s a crossover SUV, and it’s one of the larger ones on the market. Not a “micro machine” by any stretch of the imagination.

• Demonpiggies says:

I have a Honda Accord v6 that costs roughly $60 – $70 for an oil change and my Eclispe did the same and they are smaller vehicles compared to a full sized truck… so what constitutes a “Micro Machine”?

• shepd says:

Time to do it yourself, then. $57 buys an oil filter and 25 L of oil, and that’s in Canadian prices (I’m betting it buys closer to 40L of oil in the US). 25 L is probably enough to do an oil change on a Liebherr dump truck…

• bluevideo says:

I’m guessing synthetic oil was involved…

• nbs2 says:

Even my dealer doesn’t charge that much (I think – I haven’t gotten one there, but I am pretty sure that the sign said $29.99). And if he is getting the synthetic that I think he is getting, I’m not sure I’d get the service done at WM instead of somewhere else.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’m guessing it was synthetic and possibly more than 5 quarts.

• RayanneGraff says:

Oil changes used to cost me about $60 on average & I only have a little 2 liter dodge neon. I always get synthetic though, and that jacks up the price quite a bit at most places. Now I just buy a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 for around $20 & and a $5 filter, and my mechanic only charges me $10 to do everything so I save myself about $25 that way. I could actually do it myself, I know how, but I can’t bring myself to crawl under the car cause I’m scared it’ll fall on me, lol…

• ktetch says:

If you buy a pair of jack stands, it won’t fall, not if you chock the wheels properly, and don’t get under the car until it’s fully done (or buy a set of ramps, much quicker for oil changes)

If you don’t chock it, it can fall, I had it happen last year when doing my brakes, jacking it up to take the wheels off

I also had the same sorta thing happen last week, when I got a flat tyre (I didn’t have my chocks this time) and it fell off the jack while I was working on the nuts. I’ll put that pic up later.

3. Shadowfire says:

That’s an expensive oil change, but who knows what servicces were asked for. However, complaints about the car being left unlocked are silly. I have never been to a mechanic or anywhere else that performs service on my vehicle and had it locked. They leave your car unlocked and with the keys in the ignition usually… very normal.

• JayPhat says:

Wal-Mart’s procedures specifically state that once the car is returned to the parking lot, it is to be locked with the key from the outside. Not the lock from the inside, not the key FOB. They are in the wrong here.

And once again I get to use my statement of “and they said that by elminating TLE managers customer service would improve”

• RockTheShazbot says:

Depends on the type of oil change for the price too. My oil changes are usually $60-75 because I use full synthetic in my car.

4. myCatCracksMeUp says:

The Wal-mart employees and management definitely messed up. Management should not have had untrained people helping in the auto service dept. First, while doing an oil change is a simple, easy to do at home, job, it can be screwed up in a number of ways. Second, they apparently weren’t even smart enough, or trained enough to know better than to leave the car unlocked, and with the ignition turned to the acc position. And the “tech” also lied, or was just wrong about how long the car would be in the parking lot before being brought into the service bay.

That said, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Walmart to acknowledge or apologize for this.

Also – most people leave their GPS units in their car all the time. If it’s in a lonely, dark spot, I’d put it in the glove box or trunk, but in a well lit Wal-mart lot, if the car was locked, I’d leave it in place. The laptop I would’ve at least hidden under something, or put in the trunk if I knew it would be in the lot for a while.

• Laura Northrup says:

Where I live, I can’t even install a GPS mount in my car or leave the charger out or someone will break my windows and tear the interior apart looking for the GPS that must be there. Of course, I’m also female and carry a large enough purse to keep it in.

5. Hoss says:

Is writing letters like this some sort of therapy? I don’t see the point of it since nothing happened and the letter isn’t asking for anything

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

I think the hope is that Walmart corporate will check into this and tell the store in question that it needs to do things better. Some of us like to let management or corporate know when we believe there is a problem with one of the stores. I feel that if it bothers me enough to complain to a friend or my husband about the experience, then I should also complain to someone who could (even if they probably won’t) do something about it.

If EVERYONE would complain more, about real problems with businesses, there’s a chance that some of the problems might eventually be corrected. Instead people usually just complain to to friends and family.

• jimmyhl says:

You nailed it. I kept reading this cat’s letter waiting for the “I told you so” part, but it never came. Next thing you know he’s calling this guy and writing a letter to that guy. He’s on fire alright.

Maybe Larry King will put him on for a night.

Seriously, yeah, I think some people do write letters like this as therapy. Then most of them read what they’ve written, snap out of it and re-engage with something more …. immediate. This poor kid thinks he has the consumer story of the decade.

• pciro2180 says:

They should offer it, I should not have to demand it…..

• Hoss says:

Freud and others would understand the letter as a proclamation that you are important, and an uneducated or uncaring staff member at Walmart risked your valuables thus you felt injured. So what would make this better? The letter seems to restore your importance in itself

• Conformist138 says:

Or, I know this is totally wacky, but maybe the OP just wants to be sure the higher-ups know that this store is being irresponsible with customer vehicles left in their care.

As they pointed out in the letter, this could present a problem for Walmart if a car is stolen on their watch. At the very least, the bad press *should* spur them to some kind of action at this store.

Just because Walmart likely will not act does not mean the OP shouldn’t write the letter (or have accusations of inflated importance tossed so casually at him). Walmart’s lack of action can only be condemned when people are vocal. If we all say “oh, well, I’m just not important enough in the grand scheme of things,” then Walmart cannot be blamed if it takes them longer to resolve the problem.

It seems you assume the OP must ask for something for himself in a letter, but that is an immature stance. The idea of, “I must get something or my complaint isn’t validated” might be more indicative of an inflated sense of self-importance than merely bringing a company’s attention to their employees’ bad behavior.

• Conformist138 says:

6. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I sympathize with the OP, but maybe he should of put his laptop and GPS in the trunk if the oil change was going to be over an hour? 2 hours is a bit excessive time to wait, and personally, I would of walked out. I would of been more pissed than the OP, but time to recognize your mistake and rectify it. You should of told them point blank, if the car wasn’t pulled into the garage for the oil change, that you want it LOCKED. My vehicle (when I brought it to Wal-mart) was ALWAYS locked the minute they pulled it out of the shop. I stopped using Wal-mart years ago when their prices went sky high. (A basic oil change at my local store is $36.99 without tax.) I can’t say I haven’t brought my vehicle to Wal-mart, but I’ve heard enough horror stories to stop. (They never refilled my father’s oil, and they drove his truck back out to the parking lot without it!)

We have a local place, Gaffey’s in Herkimer, that I usually wait 20 mins TOPS for my oil change, and they have a plate glass window that you can watch them the entire time they work on your car. For $30. Maybe, with now 2 rotten experiences, you should bring your business elsewhere.

• Disappointed says:

The local place that I go to is very similar. The waiting room is right next to the garage, so you can see everything without getting up out of your seat. However, they also allow you to go out into the garage with them while they’re working on your car.

7. TopcatF14B says:

I suggest learning how to change your own oil…

• Shadowfire says:

Proper syntax is “I make my own oil changes at home.” ;-)

• PSUSkier says:

I was waiting for this post. Those are my thoughts exactly. The equipment you need to buy for an oil change will pay for itself in about three oil changes. It’s quick, it’s easy and I have no idea why more people don’t do it.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I used to do all of my own repairs (and still do); however, if it’s cold or really hot outside, then it’s usually just easier to pay somebody (not Wal Mart) to do it.

Some newer cars can also be an incredible PIA to perform basic maintenance on. It’s ridiculous how hard some manufacturers make it to get to the oil filter (especially on the newer cartridge systems) or requiring you to pull the manifold to get to spark plugs.

• aloria says:

Not everyone has a place to do that. Some people live in apartments or townhouses that don’t allow oil changes in the parking lot.

• Merujo says:

I would get fined by the condo association where I rent were I to do my own oil change on the property. And I don’t have any friends in this urban area where I could do an oil change. Maybe it’s the same situation for the OP.

My problem with the post is leaving a work laptop in a car you’re handing off to Walmart for an oil change. That’s simply not prudent.

8. dbeahn says:

Typically, anywhere that does auto work will not lock your doors – that’s why you use common sense and don’t leave laptops and GPS units in your car when you take it for service.

Also, it’s WALMART. They don’t advertise “GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE WHERE WE HONOR YOUR SPECIAL REQUESTS!”, they advertise “LOW LOW LOW PRICES SO LOW, YOU KNOW WE”RE ONLY HIRING PEOPLE THAT WON’T CARE!”

9. balthisar says:

I’m currently residing in an area where, if you want to eat, you must leave your car with the valet, or drive to another neighborhood, self-park, and risk some hoodlums breaking in an stealing your laptop and GPS anyway. The valets are infinitely more trustworthy, and always make it a point to ask if you have telephones, lapstops, GPS units, or other valuables in the car. Because it’s a good gig for these guys and the employer is so focused on reputation, I’ve never, ever had a problem. On the other hand, I have to admit that I’ve never used the valet at our Wal-Mart (Yes, there is one. Seriously.)

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Why is there a valet at your Wal-Mart? Is it a ritzy high-end Wal-Mart that is only half as sticky and rude? Are the receipts gold-leafed?

• gafpromise says:

It’s probably in an urban area where parking is a huge issue. As a suburbanite,being in the city is like being in another world. They do things differently there.

• Sarcastico says:

Chick flick from the 80s–Thief of Hearts–guy working at an upscale valet parking restaurant tipped off his thieving buds as to possible loot at customers’ homes. Hits were made while the customers were dinning. Nothing to do with this post but it did remind me.

10. HalOfBorg says:

I never have anything of any real value (beyond good jumper cables) in my car when it’s being serviced. And they only key I give them is for the car. Even places I trust – you never know who might get it.

And leaving it unlocked with keys in it is quite common, but the ignition on? No, that was wrong.

• DariusC says:

Not sure how you can start the car when the keyfob is not within the car… I have a Mazda and you cannot start the car, even if the radio and all that is on without the keyfob being inside the car. I think there is something REALLY fishy here…

Also, don’t leave that in the car if you don’t want to lose it… I don’t trust walmart techs as far as I can throw them (Not very far).

11. xspook says:

Hi, I have expensive items in my car that are easy to steal. I’ll be at lunch.

12. Speak says:

My girlfriend works at a Walmart and she would never allow them to touch her car. She takes it to the local quick lube place where you stay in your car. She is in and out in typically less than 1hr, even on busy days, and never has to worry about people stealing anything from her car.

• Neela says:

I work there too, and I always hear horror stories of what they did wrong with someone’s car. No oil after oil change, forget x, y or z, that sort of thing. Resulting in serious damage to the car.

Even one of the employees told me not to bring my car there for anything. They’ll mess it up guaranteed.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’d recommend avoiding all quick lube places, whether it’s Jiffy Lube, Wal Mart, Valvoline, etc. There are just too many horror stories out there.

Either do the job yourself or have an actual mechanic do it for you.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I haven’t had a problem so far with the place I go to. It’s not a chain though.

• edicius is an acquired taste says:

I’ve personally never had a problem with the drive-thru quick lube places. Quite the contrary, actually – they seem to get the job done quickly, efficiently, and for a fair price. The only reason I’ve started to go to the dealership for my oil changes again is due to having purchased a new car.

• nonsane says:

Ah if you only knew..
        if you take your car to a dealership, it’s not a mechanic doing an oil change. especially not for the 30$ specials they offer.
        Mechanics don’t do oil changes anymore for the most part.

So it’s no suprise they had just anyone doing the oil changes. This is reason to bring to a lube chain as they will not throw random people from other departments on your car.

13. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I’m sure it varies but my Local Walmart had an amazing service bay manager for about a year. He would go above and beyond (cleaning battery terminals when you asked for a test, but you could have good conversations with him that really made it apparent) and recognize his service customers in the store.

He was promoted out of our store though. I knew it was too good to last. I take my Nissan to them. Oil changes are really simple, but messy and the disposal can be a pain. I take my high performance car to the dealer and pay 2.5x the price (although most of the difference is in the oil price, synthetic versus expensive Castrol TWS I have no idea but it better be gold).

14. Mr. Pottersquash says:

As you gave possession of your car to Wal-Mart, had someone stolen off there lot, while in their possession it would have been there responisbility regardless. While you may have wished them to take specific security precautions, Wal-Mart maintains there own security. While it may not appear as much, who knows they may have had an eagle eyed greeter keep their eyes permanently afixed on your car; ike a old wise owl insuring your care was safe. hoot-hoot.

So other than the drain on your battery, theres no real compliant. You were worried about theft, nothing was stolen. No worries.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

First, the correct word when referring to ownership is “their” not “there.” Second, do you work for Wal-Mart? You seem to grasp at straws to defend it.

Thievery is indeed a big concern regardless of where you are – just because you leave your car with an auto care center does not mean that they are responsible for everything inside or are necessarily the most vigilant. Yes, the OP should have taken his personal items with him, but many mechanic shops take your key after you’ve locked your car, and will only unlock the car to move it into the auto bay. Leaving a car unlocked in the parking lot with the keys in the ignition is not okay.

And since when does “security” translate to “eagle eyed greeter” – Wal-Mart greeters aren’t trained as security. And the security is for the store, not for the auto care center.

• SabreDC says:

I put this type of argument into the same category as the ones who say “Who cares if you don’t wash your hands before you eat, you have an immune system for a reason.” Yes, you have an immune system and you’ll be fine but that doesn’t mean you want to be crapping your brains out for a week.

Yes, the stolen property would have been their responsibility. But just because I wouldn’t be responsible doesn’t mean it’s not a major pain in the ass to go without my data, laptop, or even vehicle itself. Great, their insurance would buy me a new laptop. Assuming I have backups, what about all the work I did that day that presumably would not have been backed up yet? The value of stolen items isn’t measured solely by its pricetag. If his car would have been stolen, he probably would have been able to file a suit against Walmart but he would have spend numerous hours in court, working with lawyers, on leave from work, and without a car. That doens’t mean what they did was okay solely because they may have taken responsibility if something happened.

15. DailyDriver72Imp says:

I feel no pity for the OP.

How stupid can you be to leave a laptop and GPS unit inside a car?

You are better off doing stuff yourself then trusting a so-called “Tech”.

I let the dealer do my sister’s 06′ Mazda Oil Filter………..

Last time for that cause the genius working on her car left the old o-ring gasket on the block side and put a new filter on. $40 buck oil change right into a waste container.

16. mikedt says:

I know we’re not suppose to blame the original poster, but come on. Never, ever leave anything worth stealing when you take your car in to get worked on. It doesn’t matter if it’s Walmart or a Farrari dealership. Take everything out of your car and leave only the ignition key. You don’t know what lackey is working that day so why tempt them.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Even if he didn’t have anything valuable in the car, I would still be mad at them leaving the ignition to the accessories spot for an hour, running the battery down. There’s no need for that. Plus leaving the car unlocked period is stupid. Even if valuable aren’t in it, it makes it easier to steal the entire car, especially with they new ones like this where you don’t need a key in the ignition.

17. johnrhoward says:

This letter would have been more effective if he hadn’t used of in place of have. That’s really annoying. I know it sounds the same when you’re speaking, but it’s scary that some people just don’t seem to know what words they mean to use.

• CalicoGal says:

Agreed. That always makes my skin crawl. I see “should of,” “could of,” “would of,” and all I can see is careless, non-proofreading, and even borderline stupid.
      Additionally, some of our fellow commenters used that grammar aberrancy on this very same page.
      Unfortunately, the moment I see the “— of,” I can no longer read your post with respect or credibility.
      Sorry, I guess I’m judgemental, but it doesn’t take a whole lot to proofread and make yourself look less dumb. :-

• ScarletsWalk says:

I had coworkers who use to write to their clients with “of” instead of “have” or ” ‘ve” and as they were paid much more than me, it made me want to weep.

• mackjaz says:

Overall the lack of intelligible writing is very distracting. I expect more from readers of this site.

• jessjj347 says:

OP was quoting someone else. Maybe he wanted to make that person’s grammar seem unintelligible?

18. HaveSomeCheese says:

Buy some lifts and learn to change your own oil. Its a relatively simple 20-30 minute job and you save yourself money and aggrevation.

19. backinpgh says:

That’s nuts. I get my oil changed at Walmart all the time, and they keep your key inside with your paperwork behind the counter. My doors have never been left unlocked.

• tbax929 says:

I do, too, and that’s also been my experience. I’m assuming they hadn’t gotten to his car yet. Of course, if I was told it’d be that long for an oil change, I’d go somewhere else.

As for all these people advocating doing it yourself, they clearly don’t live in condos or apartments where this isn’t allowed. The blame the OP folks are out in full force for this post.

20. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

I would be furious. I always suggest to those able-bodied to invest once in the supplies and change their own oil, even if it’s just every other oil change. Other than that, never leave valuables in your car. It’s a lot like packing your iPhone in your checked luggage…. sure, it’s not your fault there are sleazebags that will steal it, but you should also accept the facts and guard your property.

Wal-Mart sucks for car care and this location is overflowing on stupid. Don’t go back.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I wonder if whether the OP and his wife live in an apartment or condo. Apartment and condo complexes are less accommodating about doing your own oil changes.

• webweazel says:

“I always suggest to those able-bodied to invest once in the supplies and change their own oil, even if it’s just every other oil change.”

I used to do my own oil constantly. Notice I said USED TO.

Get the jack, jack up the car, put the stands under, lower it onto the stands. Slide the tray under and get the wrench. Take out the bolt. Drop the bolt in the pan, along with the wrench, splashing oil on my hair. Cuss. Wait for oil to drain while wiping oil out of hair. Find the filter wrench. (You don’t want to know what I use if I can’t find the filter wrench.) Loosen the filter. Unscrew it by hand from below and either tipping it so oil drips onto my chest, or plopping it in the oil pan, thereby splashing it on my chest and driveway. Cuss. Slide the pan out, fish around for the bolt and wrench. Wipe off bolt and wrench along with my oily hands. ‘This crap will never come out of my fingernails.’ Oil drips on clean driveway from oil pan. Slide back under to put the bolt back in, sliding over the oil drips on the concrete, getting it on my back and more on my hair. Pour a little oil into the filter, put some on finger to rub over the gasket. Wipe off hands. ‘Maybe the clean oil will wash the dirty oil out of my cuticles?’ Ever so carefully spin the filter on so as not to cross-thread. Snug. Open oil bottles and fill the engine. ‘How much does this use again?’ Check the manual. Just look for the oil-smeared pages like a pseudo-bookmark. ‘Where’s the funnel?’ Spill oil onto the engine that will soon stink for 1,000 miles of driving. Check the levels. Jack up car, remove the stands, let it back down. Look for a clean-ish jug to empty the oil into. AHA! Old anti-freeze container! Nope, still has some in it. Ummm, AHA empty milk jug in the recycle bucket. Still can’t find the funnel. Spill on driveway/garage floor. Wipe it up. Admire garage/driveway stains. ‘Have to powerwash those off later.’ Set jug next to the other stinky, oily jugs I forgot to take to the local garage for recycling. Attempt to wipe out oil pan, but give up, because no matter how well I do, dirt and crud will stick to it from 13 miles around, and eventually drip on the floor, and stink in the corner of the garage forever anyway. Go and get a shower with PineSol to get the oil out of my hair. Just throw out the clothes and rags, because there’s no way in hell they’re going into the washing machine.

Oil, filter & parts for doing it myself: Filter $6 plus 5 quarts oil @ $3 each= $21 for parts, an hour and a half of time, including the shower, scrubbing my fingernails with an old toothbrush

Local garage fee for an oil change: (last time) $25 and 20 minutes, sitting in the air conditioning, watching the news on TV, drinking free coffee

WHY would I do it myself again?

21. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I expect that every auto-shop will leave my car unlocked and unattended – but without the keys in the car. Whenever I leave the car I make sure any valuables are left at home or put in the trunk. If it’s just an oil change then I wait on premises. If it’s Walmart/Kmart then yes – I expect my car will be left in an unsecure shared public parking lot.

22. ames says:

” but it could of cost Walmart a lot more”

could HAVE could HAVE could HAVE. HAVE HAVE HAVE. The contraction is could’ve not could of, and it’s a contraction and ARGH.

Also, why would you leave your work laptop in the car with people you don’t know? Yes, the Walmart shouldn’t have left the car running for an hour, etc., but seriously – take your expensive items out of the car.

• Hollasa says:

My particular issue was “me and my wife”, as in “I said ok, and me and my wife proceeded out the door to go have dinner.”

If you replace it with just “me”, does it sound right?
      “I said ok, and me proceeded out the door to go have dinner.”

No, it doesn’t.

If you replace it with “I”, does it sound right?
      “I said ok, and I proceeded out the door to go have dinner.”

In that case, use “my wife and I”:
      “I said ok, and my wife and I proceeded out the door to go have dinner.”

I have nothing profound to say about the oil change or laptop issue, but lots of opinions about writing.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

It’s a clear letter, but poorly written from a grammatical standpoint. He used “my wife and I” several times, but only once correctly.

• LeftyRodriguez says:

Gah…I’m glad someone pointed out this grammatical mistake. It’s one of my biggest pet peeves. “Could’ve”! Not “Could of”!

23. vastrightwing says:

Every time I take my car for any service where I can’t see my car 100% of the time, I empty it out. sure, it’s a hassle. But it’s an even bigger hassle when my stuff is stolen. I’ve learned my lesson. If I have my laptop and my car is in someone else’s care, I lug my laptop with me. My valuables are with me. Same on a plane. I never put anything in my luggage that’s important to me. Hotels as well. My laptop will never be left alone in my hotel room.

24. drburk says:

Most auto shops leave cars unlocked (they don’t want to risk locking keys in). It’s also not their responsibility to guard your valuables. They shouldn’t have left the keys in the ignition much less the car, that’s a bit risky.
    You should have taken the key out and locked the car to see how long it took for you to get the call that your key was missing and your car was locked.
    I use a tire place for my oil changes, they are cheap and quick.

25. JohnnyP says:

This is Wal Mart if these people knew what they were doing they would work in a reputable shop. I hear more complaints about the lube center than other departments. They peeled out in a Corvette they were working on (who takes that expensive car to WalMart anyway?) and my dad went out and the hood was up and oil cap off for no reason.

26. shepd says:

Perhaps you should pull it in at least long enough to complete the oil change?

27. Rocket says:

Wal-Mart has an auto-care center? Also, $57 for an oil change? I payed $20 for an oil-change, and a tire rotation.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I can only imagine the quality of bulk oil and filter you’re getting for a $20 oil change isn’t the best in the world, especially if you’re getting a free tire rotation too.

• Papa Midnight says:

Same here.

28. Papa Midnight says:

And again, Consumerist redact’s the store number / location so we don’t know which store to NOT visit.

29. physics2010 says:

Pretty sure there is a sign at every shop in the world that they are not responsible for lost or stolen good.

30. womynist says:

Ha piad $57 for an oil change at Wal-Mart? My dealership doesn’t even charge that much!

31. pciro2180 says:

First off, my laptop was in the rear of the SUV and my GPS was in my glovebox, both out of sight. If it was missing when I came back, then one of them stole it and it would be on camera. Second, my extended warranty on the car requires that I have receipts for oil changes or warranty work is not covered on the engine. Third, this was a full synthetic oil change and the going rate anywhere is about 50-60 dollars. I have never seen a car unlocked left in the lot. Everytime I have gotten an oil change there or even a tire rotation at Discount Tire, my car is always locked. This is not the country, this is the Chicago area where you have to be careful.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

You’re counting on that particular area of Wal-Mart to be under camera surveillance and for Wal-Mart to actually allow you to review the footage if your items had been stolen. It seems that you’re making excuses for keeping your items in the car when you should have taken them with you. You were taking an unnecessary risk.

So you go from car to car looking for keys in the ignition? I agree, you have to be careful….everywhere. Even if you were in “the country” you should have been careful, and the first step to that is not leaving your computer and GPS in the car assuming and hoping no one will have sticky fingers. And you’re right to be upset with Wal-Mart for leaving your car unlocked; however, crap happens and some people are not above stealing. Therefore, it’s important to mitigate the risk.

• fantomesq says:

The cameras are there to protect the store, not you, and you certainly wouldn’t be getting access to the security footage. Leaving that level of valuables in the car while unattended was reckless… on your part. The store would have been liable if the car had been stolen while in their possession but not for the valuables left inside. Some level of common sense is necessary here.

Feel free to complain but don’t expect much of a response. Nothing happened to your car so there is nothing for the store to rectify.

32. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

$57 for an oil change? I thought WalMart was cheaper…

33. BrownLeopard says:

Considering Advance Auto Parts (no, I’m not an employee, just a satisfied customer) has oil change specials where you can get 5 quarts of oil and a filter for less than $20, I think he needs to take one of his days off and change it himself. $57 is ridiculous to spend on an oil change. Oh, and I hope this puts everyone in mind of the state/federal employees who left their laptops in cars just to get them stolen, putting out social security numbers out to the population. I bet they thought the same thing “It’s just a couple of hours.”

• pciro2180 says:

It was Full Synthetic, so supplies easy cost me nearly 40 dollars and my warranty requires me to have receipts to prove oil changes. The laptop and GPS were in the back out of view.

34. brianisthegreatest says:

I guess this isn’t the ideal situation when going for an oil change, but I’m not sure that it’s the end of the world. I definitely wouldn’t be speaking to the manager over it–I would just leave. This is probably what you get for taking your car to Walmart for a $57 oil change. Also, if this has happened, why would you wait further for them to complete the job? Why have them compelete the oil change and cry to the manager? If you don’t like it, leave.

I have a work laptop too. You wouldn’t find it in my car, if I knew it would be sitting that long anywhere.

35. MattAZ says:

Honestly, what do you expect, taking your car to Walmart to get serviced.

36. JuanHunt says:

Super cheap oil changes typically use cheap, often recycled oil, which may not meet the American Petroleum Institute test standards specified for your car. Bulk oil purchased in 55 gallon drums can be 1/4 the cost of the oil on the shelf in the auto parts store. I recommend that you purchase your own oil and have it changed at the quick lube. Most quick lube stores will do that for a nominal fee, that way you dont have to deal with disposal of the used oil.

Also, car companies cannot require you to pay for oil changes, only that you provide proof of the purchase of the oil and filters.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

There’s nothing wrong with recycled oil. Most used oil is typically used for generators or heaters but some of it is re-refined and meets all the same API certifications that virgin oil does.

• JuanHunt says:

I’m sure its fine for many uses, like asphalt, but I would not put it in an auto engine that I owned. The additive package is where the real expense of motor oil is incurred, and many of the characteristics of the API testing are a result of the particular additives.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

What makes you think that re-refined oil doesn’t have the same additives and same qualities if it meets the same API specs?

37. laughingisfree says:

After reading the owners manual for this car, there’s no way to start the car without having possession of either the remote or the key.

Quote from the manual:
    “If the keyless start system blue indicator light illuminates on the instrument cluster, you can turn the ignition switch. If the red indicator light illuminates, you can not turn the ignition switch.”
    “If the keyless start system red indicator light illuminates, the remote controller may not be in the vehicle or the battery of the remote controller may be unreliable . The red indicator light will turn off within several seconds after the remote controller is returned to an area of the vehicle other than the rear luggage area.”

And the guy needs to use common sense, why would you tell someone you have valuables in your car?? That doesn’t pass the responsibility to the car tech to watch over it!

• pciro2180 says:

First of all, once the fob is in the car and the ignition is turned, the car can be started without the fob in the car. In this case, he turned it to the ACC mode and left with the key… The car is already engaged and can be started since it was in ACC mode. Second, I did not tell them about the valuables until after they left the car unlocked for the hour.

38. aaron8301 says:

In my previous experience, Wal-Mart always leaves customers’ cars unlocked. They usually tell you “oh, it’ll just be a minute, we’re going to pull it right in.” An hour later, still sitting there unlocked.

I’m surprised they worked on his car at all. My final straw with them was when I went in for a flat repair, they told me they couldn’t service my car with a keyless ignition because it was “non-standard.”

39. energynotsaved says:

When I worked at Walmart, we always hated TLE. They were CONSTANTLY messing something MAJOR on cars. Because of them, we constantly lost our monthly bonus potential. I heard that our story was on the hook for an average of $5,0000+ a day for loss due to falls, accidents and, mainly, TLE.

Careful where you take your car. Many folks really are nothing more than the guy off the street…

40. JayPhat says:

It’s been a while since I did this job so let me throw my 2 cents in here.

First off, it should NEVER be a 1 hour, 45 min wait for an oil change. 15/40 was and last I heard was still the rule. Thats 15 mins to complete the work, 40min max wait time, unless it’s tires thats another issue. The person who wrote up his service order should have taken the keys inside and hung them up. Never, and I mean NEVER should someone who has not been fully trained in all 3 service positions be working on a car unless they are in training and have the trainer RIGHT THERE.

At best these people should have been given a discount on their service. At worst several people should be written up, if not let go for their incompetance and terrible customer service. I know in my stores I never would have stood for that.

41. Donathius says:

Taking your car to Wal-Mart for an oil change equates to taking your computer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to me. They’re not interested in hiring people who are really qualified at their jobs, just someone who can perform function x in such a way that the customer doesn’t think they’re a complete moron.

Also (grammar nazi alert):

“but it could of cost Walmart a lot more”

“Could of” makes no sense. It’s “Could have” people. Could of has come from people pronouncing could’ve (could have) and trying to write it phonetically. I work at a university and I see this mistake all the time – more often by faculty than students. I actually found this particular mistake once on the website of the department that teaches low-level (remedial) English classes.

Okay, I feel better now.

42. salesguy says:

If you asked me he should have never taken his car to Walmart to begin with. I have had nothing but problems when I got my oil changed and there are other places that do a better job for just as cheap. Also when I had my oil changed at walmart it only cost $9 so I have no idea how he could have spend $57?

43. flip says:

It saddens me when a MAN, doesnt know how to change his own oil. Then expects a complete stranger to take care of his prized possession. I’m not going to lie though, I wouldnt steal a Suzuki Grand Vitara anyway. Let alone walk by it to snoop inside. Maybe he selected the right vehicle with NO Theft rate.

• pciro2180 says:

ok skippy, i can’t change my own oil, the warranty dictates I have to have it done by a company and have a receipt. I do know how to do all of this work, brakes, oil and such..

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

where do you put your used oil?

44. yurei avalon says:

I don’t understand why anyone would ever get their oil changed at a wal mart anyway. I worked there once as a cashier, and you wouldn’t believe how erm, under educated some of the people that work there are. I for one don’t trust them to not put my bleach in with my groceries, never mind my car. No matter how much cheaper it is, i’d rather go to an actual dealer or mechanic who has certified, trained employees who went to school to work on cars doing my oil change or anything else.

Changing the oil is not difficult by far, I could do it myself if I wanted to learn how and get dirty, it’s the fact that you have to worry about them not ruining your oil cap by screwing up the threads or not putting it in tightly enough do it falls out and you lose your oil and wreck your engine. And trust me, the average person working at a wal mart is far more interested in texting on their phone then how correctly and well done your oil change is.

I also do not suggest leaving anything of value in a car when giving it over for maintenance, EVER. Even the most reputable dealers/mechanic shops can have a bad apple of an employee that will help themselves to something.

That said, I would start walking up one side of the store manager and down the other ASAP. Theft of items or car is totally irresponsible. I thought most new cars though only let you run the stereo off the battery for so many minutes before shutting off so that you cant kill it? I know my 2010 focus does. I think it has like a 5-10 minute timer before I have to return the key in the ignition again. But yeah, I would not want them killing my battery and then jumping my car and risk damaging something else by doing it wrong.

45. Mike says:

Seriously this guy left his work laptop in a car while someone else changed his oil? I’m having trouble feeling sorry for someone that stupid.

46. Mantelo says:

$57 is highway robbery… as are the Jiffy Lubes of the world. Check in your area at a local auto repair center, or even a good local Midas shop will do an oil change for $15-$30.

47. thebaron says:

nuts for even having them do any work on any vehicle….

48. naturalblue says:

I’ve had horrible experiences every time I’ve taken my car to Wal-Mart for an oil change. One time they didn’t put the oil cap back on, causing my car to stutter and stall. They take FOREVER and charge way too much. I will never take my car back there again.

49. snarkysniff says:

I dont even stop at the grocery store with my laptop and such in the car, I go home first drop them off then go. No WAY would I hand someone the keys to my car with my laptop in there… Im not saying what Walmart did was cool but god where is the common sense?

50. Sarcastico says:

I used to be highly annoyed to take my automatic with the shifter in the floor to a mechanic only to have them leave the gear in drive and shut off the engine when they pulled it out of the bay.

51. damageddude says:

$57 for an oil change? Where do you live? I just got a coupon in the mail for $25 at Midas here in central NJ (I go to my mechanic who charges a little more as I prefer to have one person know what is going on with my car — can’t remember what I paid last time as I had other work done but is probably around $30). Also, I can go to my local Jersey Lube and unless the line is outrageous can be out in well under a hour 45 min.

Anyway, as others said, it is very foolish to leave a work laptop in a car that others are going to be in. Same for the GPS, though that is easier to hide. And leaving the keys in the car in a big, public lot such as WalMart where many people are coming and going is just asking for trouble on WalMart’s part.

52. prismatist says:

The OP did everything wrong here. Do NOT get your car serviced at Wal Mart. End of story. Do NOT leave valuables in an unattended car, especially if someone else has the keys. If it’s a work laptop, there’s a lot more value to it than the hardware. The data on it is probably much more valuable than the hardware and no commercial encryption of any kind will actually stop a motivated hacker.

53. lordtaco says:

My father-in-law was a manager at a Wal-Mart store and would share many issues with the auto department. Several times the auto department had forgot to replace the gasket or the oil plug which resulted in all of the oil leaking out of the car and several motors had to be replaces. In my own experience my vehicle had the oil plug stripped which resulted in leaking oil as well from the same Wal-Mart. Fortunately I was able to get Wal-Mart to accept responsibility. The entire oil pan had to be replaced and this was a 500 dollar part not counting the labor. Remember the people who are working at the Wal-mart, and many other quick change oil services are not trained mechanics. You get what you pay for. I have since found a reliable mechanic and have my oil changed there. it may cost more, but I know I will not run the risk of having someone improperly tighten an oil plug with a crescent wrench and not a torque wrench.

54. sopmodm14 says:

as a reader here, he should’ve used more common sense

there are lots of car care stores that he could’ve used instead of walmart, like independents

personally, i use the pep boys near my work and school

55. Sys Admn says:

OP, come clean. Weren’t you tempted to take the laptop, and give the service manager grief about letting it get stolen? Then ‘remembering’ that you put it in the trunk? (or not…)

56. You hate your job but you're still working there? says:

Not everyone who works in that department and handles your vehicle is a “tech.” Those not certified to actually change the oil are basically just there to pull your car in and write up orders, which isn’t something you need extensive training to do. That’s probably why they brought in some folks when they were understaffed (something that can happen frequently with such high overturn). It doesn’t make them any less incompetent, but working in the auto department means little or no supervision or accountability. Also, it’s Wal-Mart, so expecting some level of competence and critical thinking skills may be asking too much.

57. Lis de fleur says:

Customer sounds like a fool who is mad about his own poor judgment & wants to blame an establishment with notoriously bad CS and under paid/trained workers. As I see it he should feel lucky to have learned a lesson about being responsible for his own valuables without loosing them.

58. Lis de fleur says:

59. SyntaxError says:

I refuse to allow Walmart people to touch my car after going in for an oil change one time and leaving with 2 flat tires. I found nails in both rear tires that I know for certain were not there when I went in the store.

That was a long time ago and these days I do as much of my own automotive work as possible.

60. fokensheatman says:

LMAO….trained staff at WALMART? thats funny. i will never expect a walmart employee to know anything more than how to stock the shelf and work a register. anything else is their own experience, it aint much either. ive gone into the electronics department once and asked about an SD card, like which one is better or what the differences were. the employee actually turned the package over and started reading it in front of me (this was like 6 years ago before the SUPER WALMART era had begun, so there were no more than 3 or 4 brands at the time as opposed to the 20 something brands we have today) and he never really gave me a good answer. theres been a few other times where ive noticed that the employees dont even know the product they are assigned to.

and to want an oil change for 50 dollars? that better be some high-grade oil. as well as an HOUR AND 45 MINUTES? also an oil change should never take an hour even with two cars in front of you.

61. acstemec says:

Wal-Mart doesn’t give a crap about the communities it occupies (though they purport to); has shady employee practices; and often advertises false “rollbacks”. Loyal Wal-Mart customer? That’s your first problem.
    When you checked on the service an hour later, and were welcomed by the unlocked car–why didn’t you just take the car and drive away? I’m curious as to how the store would have dealt with such an occurrence.
    Knowing that the person working on my car was a random employee, would also be grounds for me to stop the show and take the car home. The moral of this comment is…don’t be passive. It’s your stuff, and you should be in control of the situation.