Even More Reasons Your Waitress Hates You

Last week, we wrote about the reasons your cocktail waitress probably doesn’t like you very much. The item earned some strong reactions, including an f-bomb laden response/addendum from the folks theGloss.com.

It appears that the site’s Deputy Editor was herself a cocktail waitress — “a sexy pirate cocktail waitress with an eyepatch,” to use her own words — here in the Big Apple. And she felt so moved by the original list that she decided to add her own.

Some choice quotes:

On tipping:
“Tip me, jerkface. Especially if you think I did a good job. I don’t need you to tell me I’m pretty. I don’t need you to tell me I’m too smart to be a cocktail waitress. Your compliments do not help me or Marilyn Monroe at the automat. I do need you to tip me. A dollar a drink is standard.And when you pass me a fistful of nickels as you would a homeless person? I hate you.”

On complaints about the price of drinks:
“Do not attempt to haggle with me. It’s New York. The drinks do not cost what they cost in Podunk. Do I think $5 for a jello shot is outrageous? Yes, I do! But then, I do not know why you are eating alcoholic jello to begin with. Did they run out of all the real drinks in the entire world? Whatever. No matter how many times you exclaim that you could get 17 of these for 25 cents in Bumblefuck, the price will not change. And I will hate you.”

On being a sexist ass:
“Do not sexually harass me, fucktard. That guy who used to think it was really funny to raise his fingers up in a V for Victory sign to his mouth and waggle his tongue back and forth? It took him about a month to realize that I was always spilling drinks on him deliberately. Because I hated him.”

Check out Jennifer’s entire list at theGloss.com

Comments

1. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Bumblefuck…

I lol’d :)

2. apd09 says:

That’s right, it is incumbent on us to make sure you have fun and make money at work. No, you should never be sexually harassed that is wrong and illegal. But if I want to tip you in pennies, guess what they all spend the same.

The service industry has really started to forget that they are in THE SERVICE INDUSTRY, I tip you on the service you provide me, I do tip you for giving you the privilege of serving me.

I used to work as a bouncer for years, here is my tip to the bartenders and waitresses of the world, tip your bouncers. You are the ones over serving people, and as far as my experiences have gone you are not the ones dealing with the drunk people and sometimes getting in to fights with them. You as a waitress or bartender should not be over serving, so if you want people to tip you better, you should also tip your bouncers for the work they do.

• slappysquirrel says:

You have the right to tip her in pennies. She has the right to hate you for it.

• DariusC says:

Yes, but she doesn’t have a right to spill drinks on you or degrade service because of it. Hate in peace. Thanks.

• Doncosmic says:

Spill drinks no, degrade service yes. As long as her manager doesn’t fire her for it, she has every right to give you whatever level of service she thinks you deserve.

• DariusC says:

She must give you the same service she gave anyone else, lest a discrimination/racism lawsuit begin.

• FixdaFernback says:

That’s if she’s degrading service solely based on you being a protected class(race, sexual orientation in some places, etc.), rather than for you being a lousy customer. There’s nothing that says lousy/change tippers are a protected class.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Absolutely not. If you are a jerk, you get crap service. No law against that.

• Straspey says:

You certainly have the right to pay her in nickels and pennies; and you may also have a Constitutional right to tell the waitress she has a nice ass, or you’d like to take her home and introduce her to your electronic devices…

However…

Keep in mind that the ownership of the bar also has a time-honored right to ask you to settle your bill and leave immediately, and to ban you from setting foot in their establishment ever again – which mens you no longer get to join your friends and/or co-workers for all those fun times.

• apd09 says:

your argument is not valid, because as it has been shown many times on here that a place of business cannot tell a breast feeding woman to leave. She has a legal right to be there, and people have a legal right to be somewhere and pay in change because all US money is legal tender for all debts public and private and an establishment cannot discriminate against you based on your decision to pay in change.

• Straspey says:

If your harass the waitress with sexually explicit comments, she could complain to one of the “security” staff, who would probably try to simply and politely ask you to be more respectful to the wait staff with the usual, “Nobody’s looking for trouble and everybody’s here to just relax, enjoy themselves, and have a good time…etc.”

If you were to ignore that friendly suggestion, and continue to make inappropriate remarks to your waitress, then they would probably call a couple of bouncers and ask you to leave – much in the same way hundred of bars all across our great country probably tossed out unruly patrons over the past holiday weekend.

You may be right that they can’t toss you for paying your tab or tip in pennies and nickels – however the next time you walk in to that bar, you can expect to get the table by the bathroom and wait for about 45 minutes until you see a menu or get someone to take your drink order.

• Moweropolis says:

I am sorry, but a breast-feeding woman != a drunk asshole causing trouble. She is providing sustenance required for a child’s well-being.

I have every right to remove a disruptive person from my establishment, so long as my definition of being disruptive does not include discrimination against a protective class.

So in conclusion. I may have to accept your pennies for a bill you owe me, but I also have the right to not accept your business in the future and press charges for trespassing if you return after being told not to.

• Dory says:

Woah, woah, woah: private establishments can throw you out at any time provided the reason is not itself discriminatory. (They can’t automatically throw out black people, or heterosexuals, or most other demographic categories, with the notable exception of legal minors.) But they can certainly throw you out, ban you from the premises and have the police take you in for trespassing if you come back.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Sexual orientation is not a protected class in most jurisdictions. So, while it might not be good business sense, most businesses can legally toss you out for being straight, gay, bi, asexual, etc.

• Dory says:

Yeah, I’m thinking Canada here. (Sexual orientation is constitutionally protected from discrimination north of the border, but the rest of my comment applies to the US as well.)

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Ah, I see. That’s just another one of the many ways that Canada has things right before the US does. :)

• Wombatish says:

Sexual orientation is actually picking up as a protected class.

It was up to 10 or so states last I checked, with other smattered jurisdictions here and there.

• kmw2 says:

I think you should go into a bar, be a drunk asshole, and see how far that argument gets you with the cops that are called when you refuse to leave.

• The Porkchop Express says:

I doubt you are part of a protected class of people, mostly from your comments. You have the right to go in there and act however you want, and they in turn have the right to tell you to get the fuck out and never come back.

this entire “right” thing does not just work for you, it works for the rest of us too.

• balthisar says:

Sexual harassment is illegal in the work place. I’d like to see a real cite that it’s illegal between a customer and an employee in a workplace. Granted I’m sure it’s incumbent upon the workplace to prevent harassment.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Sexual harasment is illegal period. Not only in the workplace among coworkers. Anyone, anywhere in the United States can file suit for sexual harassment.

• Rachacha says:

Verbal assults from a patron directed toward a waitress hike “Sweetie, I would _____ that ______ till morning, and I would let you _____ my _____” may be rude, but not illegal (unless the “cat calling” from construction workers thrown at attractive women walking by is now illegal), but if a patron places their hand on a waitresse’s behind or breast, I suspect that she could file an assualt claim, especially if the groping were repeated from the same individual and the waitress informed the patron that she was not into that.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Customers are allowed to exercise their 1st amendment rights, even if it is offensive. They cannot be fired or fined because of it because they don’t work there. There is no law against being a jerk.

If customers harass the employees, then it us up to the employer to do something about it or the the employer can be liable for creating a hostile work environment. If a supervisor witnesses harassment (verbal abuse, sexual comments, etc.) and doesn’t do anything about or even encourages such behavior, then he’s definitely open for a lawsuit.

• Dory says:

“There is no law against being a jerk.”

Well, in the specific case of sexual harassment on the part of customers, battery statues will generally apply: if you touch someone against their will, provided they have made it clear they do not wish to be touched, you’ve just committed battery. (And, yes, all it requires is any sort of physical contact.)

• Anonymously says:

That’s a lot different than what was originally claimed – that all sexual harassment is illegal.

• RvLeshrac says:

It is. Assault laws cover verbal/visual abuse. Battery laws cover physical abuse. No matter how you want to slice it, cat-calls and sexually suggestive movements are assault, and touching them would be battery.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

You have no 1st amendment rights on private property that’s not yours. How many times do we have to go over this. Not. How. It. Works.

Meanwhile the employers have a legal obligation to protect their employees from sexual harassment by clients. I’d let you put two and two together but I can’t trust you’ll come up with four so let me spell it out for you- if you sexually harassed my employees and made it so that they could claim I’m allowing an unsafe work environment? You’re getting kicked out. Because I’m allowed to kick you out. Because you don’t have unlimited rights on my property.

• Moosehawk says:

If people knew the money they were tipping bartenders and servers with was being given to bouncers, you can bet they’d be tipped less. Who would want to give money to the pompous ass pouting at the door because he couldn’t make the local MMA competitions?

• pop top says:

Bouncers are actually really good to have at bars and clubs because they help keep the other MMA-wannabes from harassing the women and fighting amongst themselves.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Or, option 3, a broke asshole who probably should be hunting for a better job rather than barhopping with money from your change jar!

• Kevin says:

Where the hell is your watering hole? If I went to a bar that started having regular fights, I’d stop going there. Everywhere I go is full of relaxed people just out to have fun.

• pop top says:

I never said anything about regular fighting, did I? But if you have young men, pretty girls, sports on TV and alcohol, things might get out of hand from time to time. It’s better to have the bouncers there and not need them then not have them and have a large fight break out.

• dragonfire81 says:

There’s quite a few bouncers who could (and DID) “make” the local MMA competitions and kick just about anyone’s ass when they want to.

• Clyde Barrow says:

And customer’s like you have really started to forget that they are in THE SERVICE INDUSTRY also. It’s a two-way street bumblefuck.

Also, tipping in pennies is being a self-absorbed ass. It basically says two things: you could care less about how hard your waiter/ress is working and you’re being cheap.

• apd09 says:

As far as I know, all money both bills and change, are considered legal US tender for all debts public and private. If I choose to spend my change out at a bar what is the difference?

Go back through here and read some of the archived articles about people who have used change to pay for services and been told that they do not accept change. People are allowed to pay however they want, and their service should not be impacted in either a negative or positive way based on how they choose to pay.

• pop top says:

They legally do not have to accept change as a form of payment. If you’re paying in change you’re either a cheap asshole or being a passive-aggressive asshole trying to make some sort of point.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

• jefeloco says:

I don’t think legality has anything to do with whether or not a waitstaff member accepts tips paid in change. The sign on the door saying “restrictive forms of currency only” (or whatever) would only apply to money going to the establishment, not the tip.

• Dory says:

Can we PLEASE not have the “legal tender” argument again?

And you’re actually wrong. Provided the person or organization is upfront about how they insist on being paid (“No bills over $20″, “No pennies”, whatever), they can insist on whatever they like. If you subsequently try and pay them in a way they’ve ruled out, you’ve just violated your contract with them, and bawwing about “legal tender” won’t hold up in court. (http://www.snopes.com/business/money/pennies.asp)

• f5alcon says:

in this case you have a debt, they have served you the drink, so they have to take cash/change. If they tell you know before you buy that is one thing, but this list was talking about getting tipped, so usually that happens after you are served.

• CookiePuss says:

It blew my mind when I found out the PA DMV doesn’t accept cash. They only take a check or money order–not even a debit card. Then again maybe thats best. Instead of waiting 4 hours at the DMV it would be 8 hours if they had to work a cash counting thingamajig.

• kmw2 says:

So you’re cool with getting your paycheck in pennies, right? I hope your bank teller is reading this.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Who said anything about paying in pennies? Only assholes do that. Paying in change is different, potentially 25-fold if your change is quarters.

Besides, if my choice was pennies or not get paid, pennies it would be. Fortunately we live in an age where paychecks can be deposited electronically. If only there was a way to do that at a bar… oh, won’t some brilliant scientists come up with a breakthrough that will allow us to do that???

• knoxblox says:

Okay, so pennies are legal tender. Your waitress/waiter still has the right to hate you even more for pennies over nickels over paper cash. Try as you might, you can’t take that away from them.

• TheFingerOfGod says:

Actually, I don’t that is right. THey can pay how they like if it is a public debt but private individuals and private/public (as in owned by shareholders) don’t even have to take cash. I only say this because there was a kerfuffle a while back when Apple stopped taking cash for iPhone purchases. It apparently was legal in the US for them to do so (I say the US because I have no idea what the laws of other nations are like). Also, think of the numerous times companies have policies that say “no pennies”. I guess they could just be flaunting the law. WHo knows

• SuperSnackTime says:

Help me understand how it “says” your implication that rather than saying “hey, all I have on me left is change, and I still want to tip you”

• bwcbwc says:

A buck or a buck and a half in quarters, dimes and nickels says “All I had left was change.” ten bucks of coins says “I’m emptying my piggy bank to f* with your mind.” Or possibly “I’m such a drunk, I drink till I’m broke.”

• El_Red says:

Well, if I leave several dollars in pennies? Then what? I tend to leave good tips, but I usually clean all my change in the process. 10$ in small change is still 10$. It is not like I ask my waiter/waitress to count it on the spot.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Do you pay like that at the store?

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

The grocery store has a coin counting machine. Other stores, well, most of them welcome change because it saves them running out later in the day. In any event money is money, and when I was a cashier I didn’t hate people for paying with change. I assumed that was all the cash they could come up with at that moment.

• j_rose says:

Reminds me of when I used to work retail, I’d often go to the Dollar store next door for a snack. After the 5th or so time of one employee making a smart ass comment about my paying in change, I would specifically bring change to pay if it was him at the register. I made sure he knew too.

• banmojo says:

dude, put yourself in your WAITRESS’S shoes for just 5 minutes, at 11pm on a Friday, trying to carry 10 drinks out to you and your obnoxious ass friends, and you want to fill up her pocket with 3 lbs in loose CHANGE? Just use some f***ing common sense, people! For f***ck’s sake, this isn’t rocket science. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” A very wise Man once said that. We are fools to eschew His wisdom methinks.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I have to agree in part with what you say. When my gf went out this weekend and had too much to drink, our mutual friend very nicely asked the bartenders if they would please stop serving her and they said that since she didn’t have a tab and she said she was fine, they would not and could not. She was not fine and what they said was total BS. As someone who spent several hours in a licensing class being told what my rights as a licensed bartender were in the state of Wisconsin, I know that they could, and should have cut her off.

Sometimes friends don’t listen to friends when they’re told they shouldn’t be driving, and thankfully my gf made it home safe, but I guarantee I would have notified the police of our friend’s plea to the bartenders had something happened.

Before I get lectures on how my gf should be responsible for her actions, I know, and I had no way to stop her other than communicating with a mutual friend to intervene. It’s also not like bartenders haven’t seen every type of drunk and can’t recognize when someone is lying about the state of intoxication they’re in.

• cozynite says:

I am a bartender. I am pretty cognizant of people drinking in my bar. When they start to get tipsy, I ask how they are getting home. If they get really bad, I will cut them off and give them water.

My bar is pretty small (65 people max), though, so I can pay attention. I’m pretty sure that if it was even larger, I wouldn’t be able to pay as much attention as I want to the patrons.

• anyanka323 says:

I have to agree with cozynite. I worked in a liquor store in the evenings and it was normal to have people who were drunk come to buy more alcohol. I found the most effective way of denying the really drunk people their purchase was to ask them for their ID, even if they were over 35. Most I carded for that reason couldn’t produce an ID because they either didn’t have it on them or couldn’t remember where they put it. They had enough alcohol for the night and I denied them their purchase. We also had the local police department on speed dial and would call them to alert them to a potential DUI. This happened every night. It also wasn’t unusual for very drunk people to come in on Saturday or Sunday morning barely able to walk trying to buy more. They were told to go home and get sober.

The harrassment comes with the territory. I know I told a couple of people that they should get away from my lane because I felt their behavior was inappropriate. I always had pepperspray under my register just in case some customers got out of hand. Thankfully I’m out of there now, so no more late nights dealing with creepy drunks.

3. dreamfish says:

At the risk of reopening the never-ending debate here over tipping, her attitude I think rates as the most arrogant. Basically it comes down to (a) you *have* to tip me, even if you don’t think I provided good service and (b) you have to give it in a form that is most convenient for me rather than you.

• nucwin83 says:

The interesting thing is no wait staff thinks they ever do a poor job. Absolutely perfect 100% of the time and any problems are the result of those faceless folks in the back (even if the food is cold because they were too busy chatting up their coworkers to see that the meal was waiting in the window).

• Karita says:

Oh I always knew when I did a bad job. It was almost always simple to tell who was going to be a bad tipper based on their reaction to me when I first showed up at the table. After about a year of waitressing, I learned to put my efforts towards those customers that didn’t have the nasty attitude. (Example: the local restaurant owner who always tipped by leaving a $5 off $20 coupon for HIS restaurant… yeah, I didn’t care about giving him good service after a while.) I think that most waitresses, unless they are totally stupid, are aware of their level of service.

I’m glad I’m in a profession now where I get paid up front and can decide what rates to quote.

• IThinkThereforeIAm says:

I totally agree.
      Whenever one of these articles come out, I have the feeling that waiters/bartenders/pizza delivery guys nowadays operate under the misinformation that the tip is their god given right no matter what they do.
      A tip used to be a reward for providing extraordinary good service. not “providing service”. That’s what you get paid for by your employer (and yes, I know that they pay you a pittance, but then again, you knew that when you signed up).
      So unless you provide me something more than putting down the plates on my table, don’t expect much. Be nice, courteous, don’t disappear from sight for 15 minutes so I have to send someone after you because you forgot the ketchup, and then I’ll tip you.

• Dory says:

What do you expect, precisely? A synchronized swimming routine in the punchbowl? Do tell!

• j_rose says:

Did you read the comment you replied to?

“Be nice, courteous, don’t disappear from sight for 15 minutes so I have to send someone after you because you forgot the ketchup, and then I’ll tip you.”

• NickelMD says:

Spoken like a true bourgeoisie twat that never had to actually work for tips because mommy and daddy put him through school.

Personally my minimum tip is 10%. If I get bad service I leave a note saying that I am tipping because while the service was poor I know they will get taxed on a minimum amount of total bill and I don’t feel its right that he or she should be required to pay money for me to eat. I do this because I put my way through undergrad and medical school with only 80k in debt by waiting tables etc.

For average service I tip 15%, above average gets you 20% and exceptional service gets you 25 or even more. I tip that much also because unlike bourgeoisie assholes such as yourself I am also not chintzy as most bourgeoisie twats are because they were taught competitiveness and self-centeredness rather than the values of sharing by their bourgeoisie parents. Enjoy your self-involved life.

• IThinkThereforeIAm says:

Nice, well though out, civilized response.
          Thank you for elevating the level of discussion.

/sarcasm

• craptastico says:

i think you win the contest for who can fit “twat” in their post the most times. it’s also exciting that your word of the day calandar landed on “bourgeoisie” today. i don’t know why you went bad on someone that expects decent service.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

“Bourgeois,” not “bourgeoisie.” But education, c’est trop bourgeois, non?

“Bourgeois” also represents my own attitude that a server is a temporary table servant. For the duration of my visit, they are responsible for serving me and I am responsible for acting decently toward them. Noblesse oblige. Now go and ask someone educated to translate that for you, do.

• TheGreySpectre says:

The difference between good service and terrible service does not require that much effort. You give me terrible service I don’t tip, you give me good service and I tip great. If you don’t take the effort to at least pretend like you care and do a decent job then there is absolutely no reason for me to give you anything extra.

• Michaela says:

Actually, the poster was someone who actually knows the definition of a tip.

My mother raised me off a waitress salary until she finally got her degree, and I have still seen her refuse to tip for bad service. The servers messed up our orders (which is bad when the diners are allergic to what you end up trying to serve them), never refilled our drinks, and only checked on us to replace the order (reluctantly) and give up the check. Should she really have tipped? If the service isn’t provided, why should one pay for it?

• isileth says:

I totally agree with you.
        The only time I went to the States it was in New York and apart from a very nice girl in a diner, most of the waiters/waitresses/hotel receptionists were as friendly and helpful as a wolverine (the animal, not the character) with a broken paw.
        Guess who got the tip.
        I am sorry that if you work as a waiter/waitress in the States you are underpaid and you rely on tips, but if you treat me badly, don’t expect a tip.
        That being said, respect must be shown to everybody.

• elephantattack says:

There has only been one time I was upset with service enough not to tip… actually, I tipped 2 cents. It was the worst, shoddiest service I had ever seen. This was buffalo wild wings, food came before any drink, even water, the wings were literally frozen, replacements took 20 minutes, when I asked for a drink I had to ask three times. THREE TIMES. have you tried to eat hot wings without some form of drink? Came down to pay, she forgot to take my card.

This was not her first day either, One of my “friends” who was also at my table, knew her. I left the 2 cent tip, she calls him, cusses at him about my tip being sub-par (this was a group of 10, she got a good tip). He calls my close friend David, who I’m hanging out with, and cusses him out about it. Saying it was inappropriate and all this bullcrap. Thank goodness David was at dinner and saw all this happen and took my side.

I will never go back to BWW again. Certainly not that one. I’m a nice guy, certainly to people that make my food and have the capacity to spit on it.

Note: For the life of me, I don’t know why people can’t say stuff to my face.

4. agent 47 says:

I make my own V gestures at home.

5. georgi55 says:

Wow…get another job, jeez.

6. simplegreen says:

love your job, love your life. this chick will be on the news soon jumping off the empire state building. Too much hate, it annoyed me to even read it. Get another job if you’re as smart and pretty as you think you are. A trash collector doesnt get pissed when he has to pick up trash bags full of dirty baby diapers, because thats the job he/she has. Stop your complaining.

News flash when we (patrons to your restaurant) acquire such a miserable soul who obviously hates herself and her job.. we literally do all the things you hate just to spite YOU!

We go home and laugh, you go home and take pills.

• dragonfire81 says:

Right because it’s so easy to just get another job these days…

Do you have any idea how many people out there don’t particularly like a lot of the crap they put up with on a daily basis? I’m one of them but I put on a happy face at work and save the bitching for when I get home. Overworked and underpaid is putting it nicely.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m all for venting about a crappy job situation. We all vent to other people, whether they’re friends and family, or the internet. But if you’re so stressed out about how you’re treated by other people that you come off as extremely enraged, it ceases to be just a crappy job and it becomes about your mental health. When it gets to be so bad you’re just about to fly off the handle, you need to make a change. In this case, you corral your anger or you’re going to get fired and maybe charged with assault because you might launch a jello shot at the next person who does something you don’t like.

• dragonfire81 says:

Not necessarily. I know a lot of people who are bitter and frustrated with their job yet do an exceptional job of keeping a calm face on while at work because they can’t afford to lose their jobs.

• DariusC says:

You can’t afford to risk a lawsuit for spilling things on your customers or complaining so much that your boss gets fed up with it and fires you anyways. She should crawl back into her hole and go away, nobody wants to hear how she is entitled to a dollar a drink. If I made that much, I wouldn’t need a job (hence why I say that is not a job).

Also, what about the bartender who made those? You complain and all you had to do was bring the drinks to the damn table?

What happened to hard work?

• simplegreen says:

i imagine your significant other LOOVES hearing you complain when you get home. You’re in charge of your destiny. Determination is fates little brother. Quit your complaining and go make something of yourself. Other wise. STFU and get my beer.

• deejmer says:

mn. Ths btch cmplns t mch. f y ht yr jb, gt nthr n. Lf s t shrt t hrbr ths mch rsntmnt. t ltmtl nds n slf-htrd bcs y frc yrslf t d t vryd. f sh lts n f ths ‘prsnlt’ shw thrgh t hr ptrns, ‘m nt srprsd th hrss hr nd dnt tp hr. ‘d d th sm.

• Dory says:

“Amen. This bitch complains too much”

Seriously?

Wow. Just… wow.

• El_Red says:

Excuse me? The ”bitch”? You deserve to be banned for this type of misogynistic comment.

Never had bad days at work? Never vented? Ever? What else do you know about article’s writer?
        All you can do is insult. No constructive manner.

I suppose you’re one of her clients that grope and berate women in general.

• FixdaFernback says:

This article goes WAY past have a “bad day”, clearly. She read the original, and thought she would be all cute and snarky, but instead came off as being hate-filled and bitchy. Is it wrong to call an asshole an asshole? Or are you just upset because it was referring to a woman? Hell I’ve said guys are being bitchy before, it’s not necessarily always a misogynistic word. I’m all for feminism but I’m sure you’ve called someone who deserved it an “asshole” or a “jerk”. I didn’t take this guy as using the term “this bitch” as a substitute for “this woman”, rather, she was being bitchy and he called her on it. She was even being bitchy ON PURPOSE. So it shouldn’t be a big deal if she gets called out on it.

• AI says:

Do you cry misandry when someone here calls a male an asshole?

• MMD says:

RTFA. She *did* get another job.

• craptastico says:

i felt like i was getting yelled at the entire time i was reading this. she needs to vent some steam. there’s no reason to have this much penned up anger over a job she doesn’t even have anymore

• El_Red says:

Read the article. She does not work there any more!
      So you are waaaaayyy too late.

7. Guppy06 says:

Why do you post these? All these seem to do is rile up your commenter base, and all the comments are either “She sounds like she’s not doing her job and should be fired!” or “All the other customers are horrible except for me!”

Are you trolling us? Is that it?

8. Alexk says:

She deserves a tip just for providing some good laughs.

9. TKOtheKDR says:

Even More Reasons To Hate Your Waitress…

…Because she’s snobby and feels entitled to *gratuitous* compensation. If she is unhappy with the relationship between human nature and tipping, she should get an education or other type of training and pursue a different career. That, or just work harder to *EARN* tips. I’ll admit, there are some jackasses that don’t tip or constantly undertip–but don’t confuse them with those of us that actually tip based on performance.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I agree that she should find a different job or perhaps her work performance is the issue, but I completely disagree that she should “get an education or other type of training” – you’re assuming (as a lot of people do) that servers are stupid or lack any type of education, and that they’re in that line of work because they aren’t capable of doing anything else. This is definitely not always the case, and it’s a horrible assumption to make.

• IThinkThereforeIAm says:

If you are correct, there are two valid options here.

She has many other options open for her, she just elected to wait tables because:

a) She likes the milieu and interacting with the bar-patron folks. (doesn’t look like from the article).

b) She does it because even though occasionally she gets “stiffed” or undertipped she still makes more money than she could anywhere else. In this case, stop complaining.)

10. JonBonWonton says:

I just cook for myself at home because I hate everyone.

11. digital0verdose says:

These service worker articles about how they feel they should be interacted with, right or wrong, are ridiculous.

It is very simple. If you cannot handle the bad that comes with your job — by that I mean you feel the need to vent via a blog post — find a new job. You are not an indentured servant. Either man up or GTFO of that job. This is beyond simple.

• pop top says:

But people actually need to be told to treat other people like human beings. Yes these people work in the service industry, but they’re not servants. They’re not subhuman and should be treated with some semblance of respect and/or decency.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Servant /= subhuman. Servant = someone who serves. Being a servant, full-time for a given customer or part-time for many, can be done well or badly. Being served can also be handled well or badly. I try to be a good customer and I expect craftsmanlike service. Professional servants who look down on themselves for being servers make poor servers. Servers who take pride in their work get a hell of a lot of respect (and tips) from me.

• chocolate1234 says:

100% agreed. I worked in customer service (not as a waitress), and when I realized I was fixating only on how much I couldn’t stand some of my customers, I knew it was time to get out. The vast majority of my customers were amazing, but by the end, I just couldn’t see that. I’m so glad I’m not in that job anymore.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Truth. My job is in IT support. The definition of my job is to help clueless people who are having fixable problems that they mostly wouldn’t have if they did procedures properly. But I’m not angry with them so long as they learn from the experience, or learn what to tell me so I can fix it for them. Some days I have to keep a rubber band around my wrist and snap it when i start to get disgusted with them. It reminds me that my motto is, “Don’t hate the users.” It’s stupid to hate them anyway; every time they need something, it’s a reason my job exists. And I really do like them, to be honest.

• Bativac says:

So if I need to vent about my job, I should quit?

• digital0verdose says:

Not sure when I said that. I think it was pretty obvious I was talking about going to such great lengths to publicly complain about aspects that come with the territory when you know damned well it isn’t going to fix a single issue about your job.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

So it’s okay for customers to be jackasses, but not okay for a server to have feelings about that jackassishness?

Way to believe the world revolves around you.

• digital0verdose says:

Not sure when I said it was OK for people to be jackasses. Mind quoting that for me. I’ll respond to you once you do so.

• Dory says:

Yes you did. You’re handwaving sexual harassment as a “bad thing that comes with the job”, as if the fact that something happens routinely makes it okay. A lot of routine things are most definitely not okay: frequency is not a sign of fairness or acceptability.

• digital0verdose says:

But it is something you are aware of with the job. I am not saying they are right, but they are there.

Dont want to get shot, dont be a police officer.
            Dont want to smell shit all day, dont work on an animal farm.
            Dont like dealing with jackasses, dont work with the public.

• teamplur says:

Most jobs suck, and people have and will complain about their jobs forever. Only difference now is that there are blogs to do it on. If it scares you that people who provide you service have emotions, then stay home. As long as they are not bitching at you while AT work, I don’t see the problem

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

So you’re saying that if you’re doing something that you have any complaints with you should simply stop doing it. By that logic you should stop reading these posts. Stop complaining about people complaining and read something else.

Personally, I don’t see the problem with saying that there are parts of your job that suck; all jobs are like that.

• El_Red says:

Those articles are mainly venting. Everyone has bad days and sometimes hates their job.

I love mine, but occasionally I feel like virtually ”punching” some people I come across.

If you write an article during one of your ”bad” days, you might come looking as hating your job, too.

12. castlecraver says:

If a waitress’ attitude gives me the slightest suspicion that she talks about her customers that way after she gets off work, she’s not getting much of a tip. Even if nothing was “wrong” with the service.

I’m sorry, but if you hate your customers that much, please find a new job. Sure there are a lot of jerkoffs out there, but from my experience and intuition I have a hard time believing that her disdain for the more inconsiderate customers doesn’t spill over into her interactions with the okay ones. We notice, and it’s a two-way street.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I agree with this. We all complain about our jobs once in a while, but if it starts deviating from regular whining to the kind of rage that might provoke you to put drain cleaner in someone’s drink, I think the food service industry is better off without you in it.

• teke367 says:

This is true, of course I think when writing about complaints servers have against customers, you tend to thing about the negative. I’m sure if there were an article called “My thoughts of being a server…” you might get some more positive entries included.

In general, how servers work and make money may be one of the more misunderstood ways out there. I think most people know the average server makes less than minimum wage before tips. In this case, not tipping isn’t really excusable unless there was poor service. Not tipping a server for what you consider “adequate” service, is just in all honesty cheap.

But from the original post, I don’t think a server should expect a customer to know that the server pays the bar for the drinks in advance. I’ve served and bartended plenty, and I never heard about that. While it may be frustrating when somebody changes their mind and pays with a card, she should understand that the customer really has no idea about that policy.

It does go both ways. But the myth that tipping is (or should be) optional is a bit wrong. I think the average person would end up paying more at a restaurant if the business was forced to pay an actual wage (not adding the gratuity, but paying a server a flat per hour rate). I would imagine the prices would increase more than 15-20% when you take into account that most good servers won’t work for minimum wage, or even $10 per hour. And restaurant workers are basically prevented from unionizing because of their low hourly rate. If you give them a real wage, many will unionize, raising prices more.

13. Liam Kinkaid says:

I understand venting frustrations, but why is it that we only hear negative stories come out of waiters/waitresses? It’s always “I hate you and your children! DIE ALREADY! AND TIP BEFORE YOU DO!” Why don’t we ever hear from servers that like their jobs and tell us why they like it? Here’s my modest contribution.

I was a convenience store manager for a while. I got paid slightly better than a clerk, but I had to do everything they did, including cleaning the can, plus do the paperwork. I didn’t like how people would get upset when I refused to sell them alcohol when they appeared to be intoxicated. I *loved* just about everything else. I worked every shift at different points throughout the week. The customers were generally the bomb. Friendly, talkative, and engaging. Even when there was a line and they had had to wait five minutes or so, there was usually a “have a good one” to be heard. So, my tip for convenience store frequenters…talk to the cashier. We’re generally nice guys. And have a smile (if you’re in a good mood), it puts us in a good mood, too.

• tiz says:

because who the fuck could like a job in customer service? i’ll admit it, i’m one of those “hate everybody” kinda people…not proud of it, but it’s mostly because i worked in retail for 7 years straight (high school and a bit after) and yes, it DOES get a little mind-numbing after awhile. you start to see ALL the bad instead of the good. and trust me, there is a LOT of bad. and it’s so monotonous. ESPECIALLY when you’re getting paid $8/hr CDN with no tips…because who tips the person that helps them find their jeans? the person that folds up and re-hangs the 19 articles of clothing that you just smeared deodorant on? NOBODY.

but guess what? I QUIT, like anybody who hates their job that much should do. thankfully, i am now running my own business, because that’s what it’s like now where i live. you either do it yourself, of you suck it the fuck up and get paid an absolutely unreasonable wage. at $8/hr, say you get lucky and are working 40hrs/week, that’s still only $1280 CAD per MONTH. what the HELL can i do with that, especially since you can barely find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $1000 here.

/rant

so anyways, if you hate your job, quit.

• Karita says:

I hated my jobs too, first in retail and then in waitressing. But it was really the only option for a full-time student that also wanted to work full time. I grew to hate everyone from that experience. I think I did it for 7 years total, and I will NEVER go back. In fact, I rarely even go to stores or restaurants as a customer, because I get so angry seeing how fellow customers treat the staff. I was fortunate enough to go to law school, but not everyone has the luxury of just quitting. Even in a good economy, there are limited options for a large segment of the population. Especially students.

If I was in a bad mood, I always went to the back room to let off steam. Only once did I have a confrontation with a customer, and that was after he started screaming at me because I wouldn’t accept his credit card. (Long story.) I was good at my work, but it sucked the life out of me, because I didn’t, at the time, have the option to just leave. I tried a few times to go to different employers, but it was more of the same.

The problem I found was that people automatically do think you are stupid because you work in retail or in a restaurant. I’ve found that isn’t usually the case, but the customers don’t seem to realize it. And there is only so much condescension one person can take. Sure, I had a lot of good times, and met some really nice people, but it was the assholes that ruined it. They weren’t even the vast percentage of customers, but there are a lot of people out there that don’t have a shred of human decency.

• TWSS says:

My experience was remarkably similar to yours, substituting high tech for law school. I also reflect on how fantastically lucky I was to be able to get out of the cycle of service industry employment.

Pema Chodron has said – and I’m paraphrasing here – that intelligence is being aware of your surroundings. By that measure, the customers who made my life hell were probably more deserving of the pity due to a lobotomized lab puppy than the fury that gave me intestinal problems at the ripe old age of 23.

• FixdaFernback says:

I’m pretty much in the “hating people” category, but I’ve been in the food industry for a while, mostly as a deliverer. I love the job. When I say I “hate people”, I mean stupid, inconsiderate, disrespectful people. Granted, I deliver in a smaller town, with a “country” feel, lots of farmers, “cowboys”, “rednecks”, what have you. I love it; the majority of people are genuinely friendly and awesome. I get plenty of mediocre tips, but as long as it’s not awful and their nice, I live with it, because I also have plenty of regulars that tip amazingly(I took 15 deliveries Sunday night: 2 were one or two dollars, one was like three…about 8 or 9 were $5+, and 2 were a 10 and one was a 15.). It evens out…all of it, really. The nice people versus crappy people, bad tips versus good tips. Obviously I do well enough to have stayed on for quite some time now, and honestly it’s the enjoyment of interaction with awesome people(co-workers and customers) more than the money I make that has kept me there. Granted, I have times when I vent, or I get a bid pissed off, but I don’t let it ruin my night/week/life, and I certainly don’t let it make me sound like I hate everyone and everything simply for existing, as this girl seems to.

• Copper says:

I’ve been a waiter a few years and here is how I deal with it: by dividing tables into a good, bad or neutral category. If a table is nice, talkative and/or receptive of me, then they are good. If they are pleasant, but don’t really want to be bothered besides the basic stuff (refilling drinks, ordering and bringing the food), then they’re neutral. If they’re bad, they’re bad. The good tables make it fun, the neutral tables make it go quickly, and the bad ones make me hate their guts until they’re gone. I don’t have time to dwell on the assholes once they’re out the door. I have new customers to greet.

When I have repeat assholes is when there is a long-term problem.

14. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Smacks of a lot of “entitled” attitude. I tip pretty good, but if you give (actual) attitude including leaving my glass sit empty 5,6,7,8,9 times in passing…your tip decreases.
    Where’s the article about why we hate our waitstaff?

15. RayanneGraff says:

S.. bscll f y brng m brs y thnk y dsrv dllrs? m, n. G gt jb tkng yr clths ff n frnt f mn f y thnk y dsrv tht mch tppng, lttl mss pmps-ss. Srsl, f y ht yr jb ths mch, gt dffrnt n.

16. u1itn0w2day says:

Not only is there a sense of entitlement of always getting a high rollers tip but she fails to realize that even though she might be working at a more expensive place in NY as compared to lets say Wyoming many a customers splurge a few times a year so yeah the 5$ jello shot or what ever is going to draw attention. She’s has to remember alcohol is a luxuary and not a necessity so she should be gratefull anytime someone buys a drink.

Yeh there alot of cheapskates out there but for everyONE that under tips I’d bet at least 2 tip well above the minimum. And if you put a waitress like her on an hourly salary with a computerized tip distribution like many chain/corporate she’d probably quit.

Maybe 5 years ago a big tip was a slam dunk but it’s not five years ago.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Sometimes I wonder whether servers are more inclined to give me poor service if I don’t order alcohol. When I put aside the wine list, I’m just wondering whether all the servers lose a little glimmer in their eyes because alcohol is a high-price, low-effort item that pads the bottom line.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Naturally. I’m a diabetic and I can’t drink anything but the driest wine, and most of the time I don’t bother. Sometimes while I’m traveling for business, though, I order a glass just to avoid being ignored by the server. Maybe I take a couple sips. Usually the only time I get a water refill is when the server comes by to ask if I want another glass of wine, and I get a chance to say, “Not now, but could I please have a water refill?”

• Copper says:

I work a bar/restaurant in Port Aransas and we survive on the summer. Entrees are about $10 each and average bill is around $20 during the day and about $50 at night (because of booze). I can take about 8 tables at once if they’re 6 people or under. If they’re drinkers, that’s better for my timeline and I can squeeze in another table. I don’t have to prepare alcoholic drinks, I just have to pick them up and deliver, which helps my timeline. If I have to take your soda and put more ice in it and fill it up and then deliver it, it takes twice as long and it also doesn’t make your bill go up, which doesn’t give me any more money.

My job is to get the most amount of money out of you while giving you a good experience. I am great at my job because of various reasons, but one of them is making my boss money. The more you drink, the drunker you get (which makes people down here especially happy), the more money the boss and I make, which in turns means more money for the bartender, the hostess and the busboy.

I don’t get upset when I get a non-drinking table. I get upset if a table runs me more than they should and don’t tip me for it. This is a big part of why most servers hate children.

What I try to tell people when they ask me about tipping, is think about the amount of work your server did for you. If you are one of those people who asks your waiter for ketchup and upon arrival of said ketchup ask her for a refill and upon arrival of that refill you ask her for another spoon and upon arrival of the spoon you ask for something else, please tip more. Those are the people that get on my nerves. The ones that don’t make my job easier. I don’t mind bringing you whatever you need to have a great experience, but tell me what you need so I can bring it all at once and not have to go to the kitchen four times in a row.

• Clyde Barrow says:

I think you missed her point as others have posting here. She is saying don’t complain to HER because of the high prices. It’s not her problem and don’t lay that on her in the first place. You people complaining about her bitching need to realize first, if you don’t have the money, stay in. It’s quite simple. Don’t walk into a restarant / bar, order a beer and dinner, get a bill for and then look at your watiress and complain. She didn’t set the prices. You should know better. Do you need someone to hold your hand everywhere you go? Stay home and eat a sandwich if you’re broke.

• u1itn0w2day says:

On one hand the wait staff does indeed not control the price but they can be more empathetic twards the customer and even be their adovocate expressimg this displeasure at the high prices to management-she doesn’t have drag the manager in on the spot but just relay the customer comments to management.

But even if the occassional splurgers like the birthday or wedding party stop going to the more pricey joints that will affect their business. Even Gordon Ramsey noticed a difference in his restaurants after the crash.

• Karita says:

It’s often not as good as you think, at least not in a restaurant that isn’t high end. Based on my own experience, I’d guess more diners are undertipping now than overtipping and making up for the shortfall.

I did pretty well with tips when I first started waitressing, and the 5 or 6 tables each night that didn’t tip were essentially made up for by everyone else. But then the major employer in town had a huge round of layoffs. That didn’t stop people from going out to eat, but it did wipe tips out of their budget. Suddenly I had only 5 or 6 tables a night that DID leave a tip. And that hurt. If you can’t afford to tip, don’t go out to eat! Sure, employers are supposed to make up the difference if you don’t reach minimum wage. But guess what – mine wouldn’t! The people who made a fuss got taken off the schedule. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has worked for a cheapskate employer. If I’d known enough to complain to the state authorities (although I can’t remember, it’s doubtful, as I was young), I probably wouldn’t have, because that $3-$4 an hour was still better than nothing.

It took me 6 months to get a new job, and I didn’t look back once I left.

17. DariusC says:

You know what? I hate this b*tch for complaining. If you don’t like the job, don’t take it and don’t try to submit an article to consumerist complaining while making wisecracks throughout. Seriously, this is like the barista article.

• DrGirlfriend says:

Funn.y I hate people who call women bitches so casually.

• pop top says:

No see it’s ok because she shouldn’t be expressing her opinion. She should also be grateful for the sexual harassment.

• IThinkThereforeIAm says:

Well, if it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck….

• Dory says:

But, see, we grown-ups use what are called “real” words.

It’s not that cursing gives us the vapors, it’s that anyone who claims to be intellectually and socially superior to another human being really shouldn’t be cussing out strangers on the internet.

• pop top says:

See but grown ups understand that sometimes when you’re swearing you can look like an immature jackass (see what I did there?) and your point would be taken less seriously because you weren’t smart enough to verbalize your complaint effectively without resorting to what many consider childish language.

Who gives a fuck if he’s swearing. You don’t need to call women bitches all the time. It smacks of misogyny, whether it’s intended to or not.

• pop top says:

Oh jeez, that wasn’t directed towards you. I screwed up clicking the reply button. Sorry. :(

• DariusC says:

Yes, but she also used words such as “jerkface” and “fucktard”… which is no different than what I used. She needs to get a life… or perhaps a better one :)

• IThinkThereforeIAm says:

I doubt that the original use of the word even implied misogyny.
              Just because the person it referred to is a female of the species, and the word applied towards her is one that in some circles is used as a misogynist phrase, the word actually describes NOT all women, but a subset of them. Of which the “lady” in question clearly qualifies for membership, NOT due to her gender, but due to her attitude.

• DrGirlfriend says:

You doubt that, but the thing is that it’s a word that is used towards women, specifically, in a denigrating fashion. Your doubting it doesn’t change that.

• AI says:

And asshole is used exclusively towards men, yet that word comes up here often and always, and isn’t considered misandrist. Here’s a sexism lesson “women are bitches”=sexism, “this woman is a bitch”=/sexism.

• IThinkThereforeIAm says:

See, the word has more than the one meaning you got hung up on:

bitch   /bɪtʃ/ Show Spelled[bich] Show IPA
                  –noun
                  1. a female dog.
                  2.a female of canines generally.
                  3.Slang .
                  a. a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, esp. a woman.
                  b. a lewd woman

From the context (which you seem to have completely ignored) it is clear that the poster meant 3.a.

18. holden190 says:

Another round from waitresses that hate men.

19. dr_drift says:

Working in a fast food restaurant when I was a teenager, I’d come to realize that people who are pompous, arrogant a**holes with a sense of entitlement as customers would most likely be pompous, arrogant a**holes with a sense of entitlement as employees as well. It’s unfair to say that “customers suck” or “service people suck” because you’re just really saying that “some people suck”, because they totally do. You don’t think that putting on that KFC name tag is going to turn them into some kind of apathetic jerk with a superiority complex, do you? They were like that to begin with. So these employees that think every customer is an a**hole and sucks and is ruining their life is totally that customer to someone else.

Kinda funny, really.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

The Voice of Reason? Here? Sir, you must be lost. ;)

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

What? What’s with all the logic? Compassion? Understanding? I’m sorry, do you need help? Is there someone I can call to come pick you up?

20. chaesar says:

sorry the local watering hole isn’t a bastion of chivalry and good tidings

• spanky says:

…which wouldn’t be complete without another round from the guy who equates hating sexual harassment with hating men.

21. Clyde Barrow says:

I’ve never understood the benevelent attitude folks get when they’re waited on as though waiters are indentured servants. It’s like the moment they sit down they suddenly created this fake personality as though they’re the f’ing king and queen of England. Most of these types are broke-dicks and leave little if any tips because they cannot afford to go out anyway. But gawd, they act like they’re rich. lol. And couples are the worst culprits as you see them micro-managing every little cost on their bill as though they’re looking for a mistake to justify why their receipt is not correct. They scan their bill as though some mysterious oversight is going to cause their mortgage to collapse.

If you don’t have the money, don’t go out.

• holden190 says:

Maybe if you had a *better* attitude, people would tip you more.

If you don’t like the money you make as a waiter, leave it.

• Canadian Stoner says:

I check the bill through every time, because i have been over charged on several occasions. And if you like paying for services or products you didn’t receive then that’s just lazy.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

This is what I’m getting from your post:

- Inherent in the customer-server relationship is the anti-egalitarian idea that the customers, because they are paying, are buying services, and that means that whether they know it or not, they “enslave” the server temporarily. (Quel horreur. Off with their heads.)
      - Acting like a rich person is crass, because you’re poor and therefore it offends you. Because you are “just as good as they are”, you have a right not to be offended by the sight of people who appear to enjoy having disposable income.
      - It’s a violation of some not-clearly-defined “right” of yours for a customer to check the bill for overcharges or other oversights. People should pay the bill they’re given and shut up, because checking the bill is an implicit accusation that you might have made a mistake, and dammit, that’s offensive.

You know what offends me? Postmodernist bull from people with no pride in their work.

• RvLeshrac says:

No, there’s nothing wrong with acting like a rich person (whatever the hell that’s supposed to mean).

However, to paraphrase Jon Stewart, you should be a fucking person.

Many customers treat waiters like the shit they’ve scraped off the bottom of a shoe. That’s what all these articles are about.

If you take offence, then clearly you must be one of those people, and I’m not sure I give a rat’s ass what someone who looks down upon others for being, as you say, “poor,” thinks.

• Michaela says:

Um…checking the bill is just common sense. Would you like to pay for something you didn’t buy, or leave the wait staff freaking out when they realize they forgot to charge you for something (I have had to point out both before).

Also, I think that articles like this (and comments like yours) just show that the service industry isn’t meant for everyone. If you can’t take the fact that people will want their services provided, and that some people out there may be more difficult than others, then the job isn’t for you.

22. Roy says:

Let’s say she works slow and delivers one drink per minute. At one dollar per drink that would mean 60$/hour just in tips. based on a 40 hour work week that is a 125,000 annual salary.

23. CaptCynic says:

With the attitude in those comments, it wouldn’t surprise me that she’s not getting tipped well.

24. Scuba Steve says:

The problem with “Reasons why your [insert name here] hates you” posts is that it focuses on the bad part of the day.

Being in the service (or food-service) industry means you’ll have a lot of customers. A lot. Most will be forgettable. Some will be nice. Some will be mean. You will shrug off some of the mean, but you remember the worst.

Then, you write a scathing piece like this, and people assume that the entire job is focusing around the worst parts, and that the person in question is overreacting to a bad customer at best, or hates customers at worst. But they grin and bear it most of the time. They vent, they talk trash, but in the end they stay professional to the customer and everyone leaves none the wiser.

Most bad customers don’t know they’re bad customers. There’s a friend of my dad’s that I won’t go out to eat with, because I know he’s as bad as they come when dealing with waiters and money. I’d like to not have to worry about my food, thanks.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Yes, unfortunately the bad customers never see themselves in these articles. These would be good articles if they did or they educated people about ettiquette in restaurants but the people who are jerks are never going to realize it. I’ve never had a horrible time at a restaurant but I’ve had sub-par service. In general I treat my waiter or waitress like a person and I think that just makes the whole process go well. I worked as a pizza delivery person and would wait the tables at the place if deliveries were slow. Most of the customers were good, the bad ones just annoy you and do just need to vent.

25. spanky says:

Weird. That was supposed to be a reply to a different comment. I have no idea how or why it showed up here.

Now watch this one show up in some other, completely unrelated place.

26. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

What’s wrong with tipping in change?

There have been numerous times that I’ve ordered pizza and realized that I didn’t have enough cash for a tip. I figure giving a roll of nickels or $3 or $4 in quarters is better than no tips.

At restaurants, I never take change home with me. I’ll tip 15 or 20% and then leave the leftover change for the server.

27. SuperSnackTime says:

Hyperbole, welcome to this comments section. It is your new, comfy, home.

28. smo0 says:

I like this girl. She should write a blog on her daily experiences… she’s colorful :D

29. trey says:

pathetic… get a real job and stop your complaining. you sound like a child.

30. MustWarnOthers says:

So you essentially play psychologist/detective when you go out to eat, and attempt to get a “Poker Read” off of your waiter/waitress, then you base your tip of that read, as if you know anything about the person.

Ok.

Yet another cheapskate with a bad excuse for not tipping people.

31. Battlehork says:

“This job would be great if it wasn’t for the fucking customers.”

32. MustWarnOthers says:

I find some of the comments here extremely amusing.

There are a couple of idiots that actually rationalize giving a crappy tip to a waiter or waitress, completely based off the “Suspicion” that the server might speak badly about employees after their shift is over.

Are you kidding me? You play a game of “Poker Champ”, try and get a read on your waiter/waitress, and tip accordingly even if the service was top notch?

I’ve heard of some idiotic excuses to be a cheapskate on Consumerist, especially when it comes to tipping, but some of you should stop going out to eat. Like forever.

I agree that the specific “List” this waitress provided comes off as obnoxious, but you’re probably forgetting that this list is for idiots that don’t have any respect for their fellow human beings. I’m sure her list isn’t aimed at those who are polite and respectful to those serving their food/drink.

If you are an obnoxious/jackass/cheapskate who got offended by the list provided, maybe you should not being an obnoxious/jackass/cheapskate.

33. giax says:

Do your job without that attitude and the customers might actually feel like tipping.

Or if it’s too hard to get rid of the attitude, do something else better suited… like customer service for a big faceless corporation.

34. Jupichan says:

Wow, what a miserable sounding person.

35. Moriarty says:

Wow, so much hate for this here. How dare anyone complain about assholes, right? They must obviously be an “entitled bitch” or something. It’s not illegal to be a miserly, misogynist pain in the ass, and it’s not illegal to dislike you for it. Calm down, everybody.

And yes, $1 is a standard drink tip. I had no idea that wasn’t universally accepted.

Also: “Did they run out of all the real drinks in the entire world?” Ha.

• MustWarnOthers says:

You’re definitely right, $1 dollar is the standard drink tip.

If you’re ordering a really large order, like 6+ beers, I don’t think it’s always necessary to keep it identical to the number of drinks (grabbing 6 bottles isn’t that much harder than grabbing 5, I’d probably tip 4 or 5 in that situation).

Basically what goes on in these comments is that people read the opinion of a waitress who is giving out information to obnoxious, misogynistic, cheapskates douchebags on how to conduct yourself in a public place without being a total Caveman, and everyone assumes the Waitress feels this way about everyone.

That isn’t the case. Obviously someone who works in the service industry understands their tips are tied to their service and respect for the customer. Conversely, the service the customer receives is tied to the respect they show for the server.

In 99% of service situations, if both parties act like mature adults, there’s good polite service for the customer, and a decent tip for the server. Simple as that.

The only people who go to great lengths to stretch an article like this in favor of their cheapskate ways, are probably obnoxious, cheapskate, douchebags. The truth hurts.

36. donovanr says:

What these service industry types forget is that they are very very replaceable. Not only by other proles but by machines.

Think of all the secretaries in 1970 who thought that the company couldn’t run without them who not only lost their jobs but the position was eliminated as well. I can’t think of a single company that has a secretarial pool now. I see them in government but government hasn’t even made it to the 70′s yet.

• Kevin says:

Yep, their used to be positions in a lot of companies for “typists” like it was something special. Then the next generation came up with the option of taking a typing or keyboarding class in school. Now the first words of most every rug rat is, “QWERTY!”

37. purebyu says:

This waitressing profession needs to be brought to the 21st century. This substandard pay with the kindheartedness of patrons to pick up the slack is a joke for many wait-staff of this day and age. With the world being TAXED out the butt on everything and the cost of living being raised faster than the average paycheck there is little to no sense in making these patrons of society scrape along for there living. Now if you want to put a professions paycheck on a sliding scale then put the politicians there. At least then they’ll have an excuse for all the bribes and kickbacks.

38. Kevin says:

A dollar a drink is outrageous unless you’re somewhere a beer costs $5. You won’t catch me drinking there. Okay, you will, but it’ll be at The Bier Garden in Portsmouth, VA (which at one point sold more Aventinus than anywhere in the world) and that $5 will get me whole pints of my favorite imports.

• MustWarnOthers says:

That “somewhere” is everywhere in New York :(

Just about any type of bar, snooty or hole in the wall pub style (the best kind), usually charge 5 dollars a drink.

Most of our local Irish pub style places, with good local brewed beer, charge about the same. I’m not rich, but that seems to be about what I pay no matter where I drink (New York, Boston Area etc).

39. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I was a bartender at a brewery, and my biggest pet peeve were the beer geeks who would try to “school” me on our own beers. Trust me, I knew more than them, and now know more about beer than most people, but it was the arrogant assholes that would try to undermine me on tours and in front of other customers that got under my skin.

But seriously, my list of why I hated people was pretty standard: assholes, people harassing me, people who got angry when I cut off their FREE beer supply, people who would keep me 30 minutes after closing and not tip me. Pretty standard stuff. I guess I’m not as bitter as I thought.

40. Preyfar says:

I’m tired of tipping. I’d rather pay an extra 15-20% and know I’m going to get good service and a cooperative staff than have to pay EXTRA at the end of the meal just to appease the server.

The entire tipping thing has just gone to shit. Servers get paid minimal salaries, rely on tips, if the server is having a bad tip day… guess who suffers? All the OTHER customers. I’ve had pissed off servers give me terrible service just because the last table who was there stiffed them on a tip, and guess who suffers?

The entire tip-based industry is flawed. A tip should be a reward for exceptional service, not a basis for pay, not something to be expected. Or at least, that’s my opinion. I tip because I have to, not because I like it. I’m very generous with my tips, but I still feel the entire industry is flawed in how it pays its workers.

If people enjoyed their jobs, cared about them, they’d be happier, service would be better and customers would enjoy themselves more. And maybe they’d even tip better when the tip is an incentive based on outstanding service.

41. Patrick M says:

While I found the first article to be self-righteous and arrogant, I deeply agree with all of these points. None of them should be news: be respectful, tip well (assuming the service is good) and treat your server as you would be treated. How is this shocking to anybody?

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

It’s not shocking at all. I imagine myself in the server’s position when I tip. (I have been a waitress before.) If the server appears to not care about their work, if they are lazy or disrespectful, if they refuse reasonable requests that I would have accommodated with a smile, if they treat me like an unpleasant duty instead of a welcome guest, then I don’t tip well. If the meal went smoothly, or if I understand why any mistakes happened (because they do happen; life is not perfect) and an effort was made to make up for the problem, or if the server was respectful and attentive (even if the food wasn’t that hot), I tip well. It’s not difficult to understand, as you pointed out.

42. Lollerface says:

I can understand this writer’s position but she comes off as a bitch. There’s no need to insult whatever town I’m from.

43. Travangelist says:

Shut up and bring me my drink.

44. slimeburg says:

To Jennifer – I don’t care if you hate me. Get my drink and STFU!

45. NumberSix says:

On tipping: Go to hell.

I don’t HAVE TO tip you at all. Basically you are dependant on the kindness of strangers to sustain yourself. In way, that kind of makes you a bum.

the only reason I DO tip you is so you won’t jack with my food the next time I’m there. So that’s just extortion.

Again, go to hell.

/rant

46. Dallas_shopper says:

She is full of hate.

47. brinks says:

Don’t go out for drinks if you can’t afford those drinks plus a reasonable tip. Don’t be an asshole.

There ya go. I summed it up with less profanity and less self-entitlement.

This is good advice, though. Most people in the service industry like their job and only turn into this raging bitch after plenty of provocation. People can only take so much before they snap.

• NumberSix says:

Except that your argument still presumes that tips are obligatory. They are not, and presuming that they are is quite self-entitled.

• brinks says:

I’ll give you that. You shouldn’t go out if you can’t afford the tip…but you don’t have to tip someone who doesn’t do anything to earn it. I’m not going to tip someone if they’re being a jerk or if they’re terrible.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Then stay at home and get your own drinks. A person is letting you sit or stand there while they bring you stuff. That’s not obligatory either. Pay them for the service and convienence of bringing you the food and drinks and getting refills when you want them.

• NumberSix says:

That’s not an extra service. That’s their job.

There still seems to be some confusion on that point.

• NumberSix says:

Basically, if they do something that is helpful that is NOT their job already, then we can talk about a tip.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Every business including the restaurant and bar business have to realize how price sensitive their business is.

Usually in a recession beer/alcohol sales go up but they have actually declined. Even high end restaurants or medium priced restaurants have noticed a drop in sales and a smaller ticket. Prices matter, your attitude twards prices matter. I and others have frequently have gone well beyond our normal bar & food budget for someones birthday or anniversary by enhancing their experience at a pricy joint. But we are the customer that helps float yours and alot of other businesses. You are not servicing the customer if you cannot at least empathize with the customer let alone relay their comments to management. The local diner or a chain restaurant would be fine with me but family like most other people like the illusion they are rich and in the jet set. That’s your job to help perpetuate that illusion for a couple hours. People are in your establishment for a good time or a pleasant experience. Acting tortured to serve does nothing to enhance their experience. If the customers who usually pay your bill one way or another bother you that much then get the F out of waitressing or food service industry.

Price Matters…ALOT

48. Keep talking...I'm listening says:

Should have tagged this one ‘pottymouth’

49. YOXIM says:

As long as my servers and bartenders take care of me, I take good care of them. I expect service that is friendly, professional, and courteous. I don’t expect anyone to kiss my ass, but I do expect them to treat me as a fellow human being. This is how I always treat my servers and bartenders, and it has served me well.

Depending on my financial situations, sometimes I may not tip as well as I’d like to,but you can bet your ass I’m not gonna be drinking a lot either haha. I have friends who work in the service industry and I know the kind of shit they put up with. I try to keep this in mind when dealing with other people in their profession.

50. Emder says:

I never really understand the anti-tipper’s argument.

Nobody makes you tip, nobody is arguing that you HAVE to tip. It’s just that people (your waitress especially) will think you’re a rude prick if you don’t tip adequately.

So, is the anti-tipping position just… you don’t want people to think you’re a douche when you don’t tip?

Sorry, but if you’re not going to tip then you don’t have much room to whine when people call you a prick. If that’s a problem for you, then you might be better off just accepting that tipping for certain professions is a part of our culture, and cultural norms aren’t always fair or consistent.

And then you can suck it up and start tipping.

• NumberSix says:

I don’t care what they think; I care what they do. Or don’t do in the form of deliberately inferior performance of their job because I did not pay their service ransom.

I pay a tip because I feel that it’s a pay “or else” relationship which is why I resent it.

51. KyBash says:

I’m surprised no one sees the flip side of this — if you act like a civilized person, the staff will quickly fall in love with you.

A smile, a ‘thank you,’ and a tip based on level of service can get you ‘in’ with the waitresses and bartenders. I’ve been served the good vodka when I’m only paying for rail. I’ve sat (and drank (for free)) for hours after closing time while the waitresses unwind before going home. I’ve had free birthday drinks for a week, even when it wasn’t my birthday.

Take care of the staff and they’ll take care of you.

52. FredKlein says:

“Tip me, jerkface.

Not with that attitude, bitch.

Do not attempt to haggle with me

Pointing out that something is highly priced is not haggling. Oh, and not everyone is from “podunk”.

Do not sexually harass me, fucktard

This from a woman who describes herself as “a sexy pirate cocktail waitress with an eyepatch,” I guess it’s okay for you to dress sexy, but not okay for anyone to react to that. (Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBVuAGFcGKY )( Although I will admit that one example with the man was rather… extreme)

I was always spilling drinks on him deliberately. Because I hated him.”

Assault and Battery. If it were me, I’d sue you. And most likely win.

Really, now. You dress “sexy” (your words), but god forbid anyone react to that. You assault people, call them names, and deliberately get orders wrong “just to spite you. Because I hate you.” You think anyone who comments on your high priced must be from “Bumblefuck” or “Podunk”.

And you wonder why you don’t get tipped? Really??

53. Alternate says:

Im just going to go out on a limb and read this as:

Here are some nice things you can do for your waitress/waiter to make their day a little easier.

>Be respectful and courteous
    >Tip when appropriate
    >Do not sexually harass
    + Some little known things that are not obvious problems to the customer but may be to the server

Isnt the bright side of life NICE?

54. MotorboatJones says:

When do customers get to write this kind of bullshit about waitresses and why they hate them? We all know, wait staff never take too long a break, smell like smoke, spill drinks, miscalculate checks, talk shit, wear too much perfume, have bad breath.

If only I had something to complain about…

55. CapitalC says:

Here’s a tip … get a job where you don’t have to deal with people because it’s apparent you hate everyone.

56. anduin says:

A dollar a drink!? You are out of your damn mind. I hate servers who come at you with an attitude. You’re in the service industry so put on a smile and pretend you enjoy what you do at least and I’ll gladly tip your false pleasantness granted you do a good job. Do a good job but be an ass, I’ll prob leave you nothing.

57. anduin says:

Ive gone to dinner with former waiter/waitresses and tend to ask them what would be good tips and they always tend to tip less than what I would have given. Why? Because they felt the service wasn’t up to par with what they would have provided. I now have a good set of guidelines that for every one that gets broken, its another % off.