Hartz Dog Treats Recalled Over Salmonella

Don’t reward your dog a Hartz Naturals Real Beef Treat from a bag stamped with lot code BZ0969101E, says the FDA, unless you want a potentially confused dog. Hartz says salmonella has been found in at least one bag from that lot, so it’s recalling nearly 75,000 bags. So far no one has reported any sick pets, but if you have questions you can call Hartz at 1-800-275-1414.

The product shipped in 8-oz bags and had the UPC 32700-11519.

“The Hartz Mountain Corporation Recalls Hartz Naturals Real Beef Treats Because of Possible Salmonella Health Risk” [FDA]

Comments

1. KhaiJB says:

erm

Dogs don’t have any issues with Salmonella!!!

they can eat raw chicken etc with no illness at all… and do.. whenever they get the chance!

• KhaiJB says:

ok looks like I’m wrong.. but my Vet said not to worry when I feed my pups raw chicken.. (we feed the raw diet…)

I is so confuzed

• tsukiotoshi says:

Raw chicken is usually fine for dogs, but it’s sick dogs or dogs with otherwise weak immune systems you have to watch out for. Also it’s usually more an issue of meat that has been sitting out too long or has gone by than fresh raw chicken. For the most part dogs can just pass the bacteria before it has time to set or may only get a little case of diarrhea but they can get sick. I wouldn’t feed anything I knew was tainted with salmonella in any case. Better not to take the risk!

• CookiePuss says:

There was some study that fed dogs %100 salmonella infested chicken and only a very small percent of the dogs showed any symptoms, which were mild. Apparently their very short digestive tract and the way their digestive system works keeps dogs from being affected for the most part. Of course a dog with a weak immune system would have more severe symptoms.

I’d be more concerned about the chemical preservatives, high sugar, and artificial colors/ingredients many companies use in their treats/food.

• tsukiotoshi says:

Dogs can get sick from salmonella.

• FrugalFreak says:

They can if they are are not already healthy. a weak immune system dog can get it.

• Tim says:

Any human/animal who can eat meat can also eat raw meat. Raw meat just has the potential to have salmonella, while cooking it reduces that risk greatly. But for the most part, if you handle raw meat very carefully and don’t leave it unrefrigerated for long periods of time, it’s most likely okay.

• kmw2 says:

You only have control over your meat from the time it enters your home. Most contamination, particularly with E. coli and salmonella, occurs outside the home, during the slaughter, processing, shipping, and at the point of sale. Refrigeration, furthermore, slows the growth of bacteria but does not stop it, nor will refrigeration kill existing bacteria.

• Julia789 says:

I used to think that, until I read this excellent article: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=5315

Dogs do die from it and other infections caused by raw meat, and also the raw diets can cause severe nutritional deficiencies.

I stopped feeding my dog raw meat after reading this. Especially with my dog being older and having immune system problems.

Also, my brother fed raw meat to his dog. The dog licked his one-year-old daughters face, and she almost died of kidney failure from the ecoli infection. The health department sent investigators to the house and interviewed the family, and they concluded it was the dog’s raw food that transmitted it to the baby.

2. brinks says:

Dogs eat their own poop. Sometimes they lick up their own puke. I always have a hard time believing any treat I give my dogs will cause problems if that stuff doesn’t.

• Julia789 says:

It’s not so much the dogs they are worried about (although some do get sick) it’s the people who handle the treats, then don’t wash their hands, and get very sick. Especially children.

3. Hungry Dog says:

My dogs breath smells like dog food.

4. ooeygooey says:

I don’t know if this is the case with recalls, but salmonella can be a problem for the humans who handle the dog food/treats. If you aren’t careful to wash your hands after handling it, it can cause sickness in people.

5. Snaptastic says:

My dogs in my house do everything from eating rabbit poop to gnawing on a 3+ year old rawhide buried in the garden by the previous residents–I’m hardly worried about them getting salmonella from a treat.

…and no, I am also not concerned that I might get salmonella from handling the treat. My immune system is there for a reason, I may as well make it work.

6. pOLLYpOCKET says:

No one should ever buy anything by Hartz. They cause more problems than good.

Source: Me. I work at an emergency pet hospital. We see stuff all the time where people bought “cheap” Hartz stuff at the grocery store and it causes their pets to have seizures.

• Julia789 says:

If you are seeing repeat cases of the same products causing illness in pets at your clinic, please report it to the FDA in order to save other pets.

The only problems I’ve heard with the OTC Hartz products are people who buy dog flea meds to apply to their cat, which can cause seizures or kill them. It’s really the owner’s fault for ignoring the package warning that says “not for use on cats.”

• Sexual Elf! says:

You’re right about that! I asked my vet years ago about flea collars for my cats and before recommending any products she stressed to me NEVER to use Hartz, in any capacity. Just google ‘Hartz hurts animals,’ or something like that, and read what you find. It’s heartbreaking they’re still allowed to put their products on shelves :/

7. c_c says:

Never buy anything made by Hartz. It’s amazing that the company is still allowed to sell products for animals, since most of their products poison animals one way or another.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

You could say that about numerous companies out there. It’s ridiculous what is in pet food. Would you eat it? Then don’t feed it to fido!

8. madfrog says:

Don’t buy ANYTHING from Hartz. I realise this is about food, but read this about their flea control, one of many sites:http://www.hartzsyndrome.org/