Snoop Dogg Partners With Norton To Fight Cybercrime

Security software maker Norton has hired rapper Snoop Dogg to be the face of a new contest that asks people to upload to “hackiswack.com” a 2 minute videos of themselves rapping about cybercrime. Winners get to hang out with the Snoop Dizzle, free tickets to his concert, and a new laptop preloaded with Norton Internet Security 2011. The partnership makes sense, as computer on Norton runs as fast as if you “smoke weed everyday.”

Seven videos have been uploaded so far, so you might even have a good chance of winning.

I guess Snoop hasn’t been putting his cashizzles in a Roth IRA, this celebrity endorsement marks a new desperate low for the once venerable rhymesmith.

Hackiswack
Snoop Dogg Joins the War on Cybercrime [SecurityWeek] (Thanks to Wayne!)

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Getting desperate much, Snoop?

• admiral_stabbin says:

I doubt it’s an act of desperation. Getting paid mad money to pimp some hizzo-tizzo-techno-shizzo? Only billionaires would turn that kind of gig down…

2. obits3 says:

Norton has proven that not everything looks better in slow… motion… Maybe I should boot my computer to a rap beat…

3. Platypi {Redacted} says:

I see the little dig on Symantec/Norton there. Curious if you have tried the newer vesions (2009+)? 2008 was an ungodly resource drain, but 2009 fixed a lot of that, and 2010 is actually really good.

I don’t really get this partnership, at least from Symantec’s side. Seems like a goofy-ass stunt to me.

{full disclosure, I work for Symantec}

• FrugalFreak says:

They want him to blow up the competition but not let the public see it.

Zynga’s “Snoop blowing up the armored truck” pun

• BobOki says:

I have been in the IT field now for over 20 years, and have watched the rise and utter fall of Norton. I feel quite confident in saying for the last five years I have gotten in more pcs with issue due to Norton than issues Norton should prevent, that is to say Norton breaks the machine before the virus/malware has the chance to do so. Corrupt installs, random blocking of applications (like calculator once..WTF) firewall of unconfigurability doom, plus the machines I do get in with Norton where Norton has not broke the machine itself, are infected.
      As resource hog goes, I have not seen a av package out there that is more memory and cpu intensive than Norton, and that includes Kaspersky and its bit level checks.
      No offense to you or whatever you do for them, but they went to pits around 2000 (I think like 04 CORP was last livable version) and still have not come back to any form of usable.

• trey says:

Norton lost my business years ago… (8 to be precise). Avg serves me better than Norton. AVG proves that you dont need to purchase antivirus in order to have good protection.

• rickhamilton620 says:

While it may be great now, (I used 2009 and 2010 during their respective beta periods and was impressed, and this is coming from someone who only used AVG or Avira on his machines) Symantec dug their own grave with years of poorly performing software. It’ll take a hell of a lot of marketing and time before they’ll be able to convince tech enthusiasts (lets face it, us techies influence what others use most of the time based on recommendation) that things have changed.

Just my 2 cents. :)

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

Clearly Snoop Dog will be able to win you guys back. That makes total sense, right?

I hear you guys, and don’t disagree that the bloated packages were a disgrace. The revamped development priorities are helping, and I hope that they continue down that line.

• admiral_stabbin says:

You folks have some decent products, but I can’t tell you how often I run into resource headaches caused by Symantec Endpoint…and 360 for home users. There is substantial competition for the average consumer (AVG, Avast, Avira, MS Security Essentials) that performs a better job at a lower cost.

While I realize Symantec AV products score reasonably well on threat mitigation, it’s simply no longer competitive.

• aloria says:

Since you work there, any idea why nobody bothered to check the site for security issues before going live? Obviously a site called “hack is wack” is going to attract some shadiness.

4. humphrmi says:

I used to use Norton AV. Bought a five-license pack every year for my PCs and notebooks (not that they made it very easy to buy a five-license pack, but that’s another story.) Started reading articles online about all the free AV vendors, so I tried one out just for fun. It was like getting a new computer.

I can’t rhyme worth a damn, but if I could it would be something about how much faster my life is without Norton.

• Dustbunny says:

Is the free AV software really as good? My Norton subscription is about to expire, so any recommendations are welcome. TIA.

• trey says:

AVG free edition.

• sn1per420 says:

Microsoft Security Essentials.

I got pissed at AVG for constantly nagging me to upgrade to the paid version, and I heard good things about MSE. Scans run faster than AVG, and it uses less system resources when idle. Best of all, it doesn’t nag me on a regular basis.

• humphrmi says:

My concern was the updates. It’s useless to get a free AV software license without updates; the day you install it it’s already out of date. So I checked around, several free AV packages include free unlimited updates. I’m using Comodo, which includes free AV and firewall, and I’m pretty happy with it. Right now, it’s using 5,840 K on my laptop. I’m not going to shill them though, there are plenty of others.

One note though, Comodo doesn’t seem to be very good at catching things like web pages that push trojans or malware. I’ve been using RUBotted from Trend for that (also free). Norton AV never caught them either.

• BobOki says:

I would recommend trying Avira, very low footprint and very high detection ratings. AVG has gone kinda downhill, getting more bloated and slow as they go, their latest seems to miss a lot of stuff Avira is catching.

• humphrmi says:

Oh, and by the way, I also give Comodo high marks for their support. (Jeesh, and I said I wasn’t going to shill them. ) Anyway, I steered my father in law toward Comodo and he had trouble installing it. He called their support line, on their free product, and they walked him through getting past the problem. I was impressed, usually “free” products require a support contract for that.

• webweazel says:

DEFINITELY get something else. Eradicate it gleefully from your system. Read reviews, CNet is especially good for reviews. There are plenty of free options out there.
        I personally use AVG and ZoneAlarm firewall, both free. (Turn OFF the windows firewall if you choose to use ZoneAlarm.) I have used them both for years, and have never had a slowdown in speed. Haven’t had a virus or spyware in, ……. I can’t remember the last time.
        Kick Norton AND McAfee straight to the curb.

• BobOki says:

My computer was slow
      would’nt you know
      it was norton actin’ like a hoe.
      I gave it the boot
      my performance started to shoot.

or maybe rap a haiku
      Out of all anti virus
      Norton is by far the worst
      and it is slow too

5. pantheonoutcast says:

Norton: When you need the best in high tech, dependable computer security solutions, turn to the company with a violent, misogynistic drug addict with an extensive criminal record on its payroll.

6. peebozi says:

too bad Eazy-E isn’t still around…he would have strategically placed “a cap”, as they say, in snoopy’s buttocks a long time ago.

7. FrugalFreak says:

If we win laptop, do we have to go to his concert?

8. aloria says:

The site was already DDoSed by 4chan a few days ago and has been hacked to rickroll people:

Pretty pathetic for a security company to not harden their own website. There were a lot of very basic mistakes made, such as leaving SQL configuration files in a public web directory and using an extremely alpha Joomla plug in which was riddled with XSS.

9. dragonfire81 says:

Wow, I misread the headline as:

Snoop Dogg Partners With Norton To Fight Cyberdyne

10. doctorc4 says:

Snoop Dogg – Hard Core since Hawking AOL! What a joke this guy has turned into.

11. tcp100 says:

Oh shizzle, I got a virizzle.

12. dwcusc says:

Looks like 19 videos submitted so far.

13. dwcusc says:

Looks like 19 videos submitted so far.