CPSC Says No Link Found Between Dry Max Diapers And Diaper Rash

Back in May a lotta parents were venting online about newly formulated Pampers Dry Max Diapers giving their kids bad diaper rash. The CPSC got almost 4,700 incident reports and investigated, but so far has not found any specific link that says the diapers are causing adverse reactions any different from normal diaper rash.

No Specific Cause Found Yet Linking Dry Max Diapers to Diaper Rash [CPSC]

PREVIOUSLY
Do Dry Max Pampers Burn Babies’ Backsides?
New Dry Max Pampers Causing Rash, Burns, Sores, Boils?

Comments

1. colorisnteverything says:

“A lotta” is not English. It’s jargon.

• Ben Popken says:

Actually, it’s a colloquialism. Jargon is technical terminology.

• mcnerd85 says:

Don’t try to burn The Ben, he burns back. Worse than Pampers Dry-Max.

• colorisnteverything says:

Regardless of how you define jargon. I define it as “meaningless words”, you can’t possibly support the way it messes up that line. “A whole lotta” would actually make sense, but it just reads as bad proofing.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Wrong, jargon is technically words that to a layman mean nothing but to an subject-matter expert mean everything.

Jargon is anything but meaningless.

• Big Mama Pain says:

You also seem to have your own special way of defining simple rules of grammar and punctuation. Perhaps not a good idea to slam the author for sentence structure when you can’t even put together a complete one?

• evnmorlo says:

At least he didn’t write “alotta”

2. chaesar says:

so Dry Max causes regular diaper rash then?

3. rookie says:

I have not yet noticed any type of rash on my posterior from the use of Dry Max Pampers.
    Updates will follow…

4. Rachacha says:

A CPSC spokesperson was quoted as saying “we put DryMax diapers on 100 simulated baby butts and none of them “gotta” diaper rash. Our second round of testing failed because the laboratory mice just keep walking out of the diapers ruining the experiment. We are waiting to begin our third round of testing as soon as the mail order babies arrive from China, but each shipment has been rejected at the boarder because of a high lead and melamine content”

/sarcasm

5. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I read something on a previous article about this that suggested because the drymax holds more liquid its possible that the babies aren’t being changed as often, which leads to the rash. Is this a real possibility?

• Rachacha says:

I know with my kids, the routine when they were infants was Feed-Nap-Diaper Change-Feed-Nap- Diaper change etc. (Throw in an extra diaper change if the kid went #2), so assuming that the parents maintained that regular cycle, the DryMax should theoretically be better if it is pulling the moisture away from the baby’s skin. As they got older, we would change them as necessary (usually every ttwo-hree hours as I recall, but it has been 5 years since they were in diapers). If these diapers do not get “droopy” when they are wet, it is possible that parents could be waiting longer between changes which could be causing a rash.

• pfepher says:

I’m a parent of a toddler that had a reaction to Drymax, causing my wife and I to search high-and-low for old-style (non Drymax) Pamper’s Cruisers and ultimately switch brands.

Your theory is a good one and quite possible. I can say we did not reduce the frequency of diaper changes.

I believe there is something that irritates babies with sensitive skin. We can’t use the diaper-wipes from pampers either (even the sensitive skin ones). We’ve switched brands there too.

Too bad for Pampers. They’ve lost a lot of previously loyal customers. Too bad for us because we have 3/4 of a box of Drymax Cruisers (on which NO ONE will be on ebay!)

• James says:

I concur. When we tried the Dry Max, basically the entire surface of his skin which touched the diaper turned BRIGHT red and painful (to the point that he would avoid water, and he loves baths / the pool). I’ve never seen him have rash over nearly that much skin. We didn’t go any longer between changes, so I don’t think that theory is necessarily the case.

• shepd says:

Put them on eBay/kijiji/craigslist. There are plenty of parents who have used these diapers on their kids successfully for several months and they would have no problems buying the diapers.

I should know, half of the diapers my baby wears are Drymax diapers bought from parents who either actually had problems or are just freaking out. My baby doesn’t have problems with them. Good deals are there to be had!

6. NumberSix says:

Maybe the problem is that people thought their new super sopper diaper could be left on longer because it held more and were not changing their kids frequently enough.

That would still contribute to a rash “dry” or not. I mean, dry is relative when it comes to diapers any way. Your kid will be dryer than something that’s sitting in water, but they are not “no moisture at all” dry.

7. LadyTL says:

From what I have read the main complaint is that the old formula did not cause allergic reactions with some children and now the new formula is.

8. qbubbles says:

Yeah… I’m still unconvinced. This kid I’m bakin is gonna have my allergies to Bounce and my husband’s eczema. I’d rather not take my chances, Pampers.

• Pinklette says:

I know most people respond with “ick,” but have you thought about cloth? My son has sensitive skin to the point that we can only use one brand of soap on him. I’ve used cloth diapers since his umbilical cord fell off and not a single rash. Switched to disposiables for an emergency road trip and all three brands were awful on his skin. Makes doing the laundry worth it. Either way, good luck to you and your little one!

• colorisnteverything says:

This. A friend of mine just had a baby earlier this year and has her mom’s especially sensitive skin. A week after starting the cloth, the difference was INSANE. I wouldn’t hesitate to do cloth if I had a kid thanks to my myriad of allergies which allows me to only buy soaps which do not contain palm oil (SLS), beeswax, etc. I can’t even shop at a regular grocery for such things. I was a cloth diaper baby due to my skin allergies, too. We had a very good diaper service, though (as does my friend), so it wasn’t as big a deal as going it alone.

• Pinklette says:

I actually do go it alone, an it isn’t as bad as people try to make it out to be. Any solids must be flushed, but you’re supposed to do this with paper diapers too! Washing them has just become a part of my daily routine. (Plus cloth diapers are way cuter than paper!)

9. JonBoy470 says:

I remember when this story first came out, the claim was made that this was the most extensively tested Pampers to date, with 300,000 diaper changes on 20,000 babies. The math works out to 15 diapers per kid.

My own observation (having used these diapers to some extent on our now 5 month old) is the new coating they put in the diapers is very effective at wicking moisture off the baby’s butt. The diaper could be a couple of pounds of soaking wetness, and the inside is almost completely dry. Unfortunately, unlike their previous diapers, this new coating is not smooth, and the roughness irritates the baby’s bum. Perhaps not “diaper rash” in the medical sense, but it looks like diaper rash and the baby definitely doesn’t like it.

• colorisnteverything says:

And yeah lol. Baby doesn’t care WHY he/she hurts. Baby just wants to feel better. Even those of us who are NOT parents can understand that. It doesn’t matter WHAT you call it, if it irritates the baby, it is not a good idea. I am really inclined to listen to parents when it comes to this. I have several little cousins who have had issues with these. I also had a friend who got a huge crate of them at a baby shower who refused to use them after the first few changes thanks to the bad rash. She has a kid with really sensitive skin and is now using cloth, but several of my little cousins weren’t as sensitive and had similar issues.

10. jaya9581 says:

My niece had horrible welts, rashes and even open wounds from using these diapers. She used “old” Pampers without a problem. Nothing helped. Within hours of switching to a different brand, the redness started to disappear. A year ago, I would have told people they were crazy to consider any brand other than Pampers. Now, I would not touch them with a 10-foot pole.

11. ThinkerTDM says:

As long as Pampers keeps payin’, CPSP will say anything they tell them.

12. mhutt says:

I have three kids. We have used pampers many times over the years. With my 3rd we used the new dry max pampers. No, I did not let my baby sit around in urine filled diapers. Yet it caused nickel size bloody sores on her bottom. I have seen diaper rash, this did not resemble diaper rash. It was more of a chemical burn. She screamed 23 hours a day for a week and wasn’t able to eat very much because she was so upset. She was only a 4 weeks old. We changed brands immediately. It took about a week for them to heal. The skin literally came off on my finger when I tried to put the ointment on that my dr suggested. I will never forget the feel or her scream, it made me want to vomit. Honestly, it still does. It took weeks for her to start sleeping and eating regularly. I contacted pampers after it was alluded to that the only people complaining must work in some way for another brand. I was offended that they thought complaining parents must have a motive other than wanting other parents not to have the same trouble. I do not believe this occurs with every child or even every diaper with dry max. But I can say the package I got caused terrible sores.

13. Happy13178 says:

FTR, when they switched over to the new Dry Max diapers I saw the original article about 2 days after we started putting them on our little one. He has extremely sensitive skin, and I was worried about it. No rash though, apart from the odd usual diaper rash that goes away pretty quickly. Certainly nothing like the skin coming off stories I’ve seen. The rough texture explanation from another poster seems like a likely culprit, combined with the less changings. We didn’t change the frequency of diaper changes when we switched over.

14. zrecs says:

We did an amateur study but I are not surprised by the CPSC’s findings. They didn’t do any tests.

There is also the chance that P&G had a production problem they have since fixed. Despite the company’s claims to the contrary, hype is not the only possible explanation for a high incidence of complaints early on that falls off after several months.