Quiznos Employee Lets Her Little Kid Help Fix My Sandwich

Consumerist reader Silver and his wife made a trip to their local Quiznos in Ft. Worth the other day and came face to face with an employee who may have taken the whole “bring your child to work day” thing too seriously.

According to Silver, when he and his wife arrived at the Quiznos, they noticed a bunch of children playing around in the front of the store. But when they went to the counter, so did one of the kids.

He’ll take it from here:

Just then, one of the kids who was playing in the front earlier ran behind the counter and started clinging on to legs of the employee who was taking our order.

The employee then asked what kind of veggies my wife wanted and she said “First of all, I don’t think that kid has washed his hands, is an employee, or should be standing next to a 450Ëš open oven.”

The employee just stared at my wife, and — get this — lowered the sandwich to the kid, maybe 4 years old, who then grabbed one of the containers of oregano and started to dress my wife’s sandwich.

I yelled at the woman that I thought that it was unsanitary, a child has no business being back there with you, and this has to be some kind of Health Code violation. She just stared at me plainly, said nothing and tossed the sandwich in the trash can.

The kid then rested both of his forearms on the cutting board, while another child ran behind the counter to join him.

She simply would not address us and completely ignored the fact that her child was running rampant through the store near open ovens.

We called Quiznos’ 1-800 line several days ago and have yet to receive a response from them. I also have been trying to contact them via their website, but it keeps timing out.

You might also want to try Quiznos Twitter account, which appears to be active.

Of course, after looking at these pics from earlier today, you might just want to give up on Quiznos.

Comments

1. ScarletsWalk says:

That’s just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong

(employee, not OP)

2. TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

Of course we won’t question the morality nor sanity of the awesome Quizno’s employees…

3. Stickdude says:

Does this store not have a manager on premises?

• Bremma says:

The woman could have been the manager, hence the not giving the crap. Definitely not cool on the employee’s end regardless.

4. RickinStHelen says:

Is the OP is aware that there is such a thing as a Health Department that could be called?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Would the Health Dept. be able to do anything, though? Considering they are apparently the only witnesses, I don’t know if the Health Dept. could slap the Quiznos with a citation unless it got enough people to admit they let their kids get their slimy hands all over everything. And those employees would probably get fired if management found out, so I don’t know if they’d be very chatty.

• K-Bo says:

I would be surprised if this was a one time only happening. Health dept needs to be doing spot checks on them.

• SkokieGuy says:

…..and her State Department of Labor, OSHA, DCFS.

• Destron says:

The health department won’t do much. The can only deal with the present, as in whats going on when they show up. The can very well go inspect the place, but if everything is coll while they are there no further action would be taken.

• sonneillon says:

Not their jurisdiction. Having kids in a fast food environment isn’t a health code violation in most states. Now this might fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Labor in because she made the kid do work. Of course if the lady is the franchise owner or the manager then she can legally have her child doing that and the employee has broken no laws, possibly a contract with Quiznos coporate but no state or federal laws.

• Billy says:

Not washing ones hands before handling food might be a health department violation. Resting one’s forearms would be, too.

As far as the health department not being able to do anything b/c they didn’t observe it (below): as a practical matter, this is true. However, some jurisdictions (mine included) could bring a case against the restaurant and let third parties testify as to what they observed.

• sonneillon says:

Depends on the state and the practicalities of enforcement. I don’t know about Texas and their food and health code is long so maybe. But I don’t think is not strong enough testimony because she doesn’t know.

• smo0 says:

I don’t know, but every time I’ve eaten at a quiznos, I’ve gotten ill – even just their veggie sammiches.

I can’t stand children I would immediately leave if a unwashed spawn touched my food.

5. dolemite says:

“Excuse me…I asked for light boogers, not extra boogers.”

6. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

I wonder how much snot and dirt were on the hands of her precious snowflake?

7. greentech says:

I wouldn’t want a kid making my sandwich either.

I also wouldn’t yell. Ever. Even if the employee was yelling at me. You’re a big kid, OP. Big kids are supposed to behave in a civilized manner. I wonder how a polite approach by you or your wife might have impacted the situation. Maybe if the employee did not feel like she was being attacked, she would have responded more appropriately to your concerns.

• adrienna says:

Doubt a “polite approach” would have made a difference. Clearly no one there cares about proper procedures.

• DariusC says:

THIS! Being polite does not work with people like this. I would have stepped up my game and called the health department right then and there, followed by a call to Quiznos, notifying them of any problem ticket numbers with the health department and then requesting a follow up. I would also report the name of the person in the store and explain the situation in detail. Include all of this in your own log, recording the time, date, location and a description of the events.

Case Closed.

• greentech says:

You might be right… It probably would not have solved the problem. It certainly would not have made all the surfaces that the children touched magically become clean and sanitary again. Frankly, I would have left immediately. I’m repulsed by it. I guess my gripe is with people who think that raising their voice at people who work in service or retail positions is ever appropriate or necessary. I work retail and I can tell you that if people perceive a problem, the ones who address it politely receive prompt service (from me) and the ones who yell or bully get nothing. Nobody wants to help you when they feel like they’re being attacked.

I can’t help but wonder why the kids were there in the first place. I’d be shocked if Quiznos pays enough that the woman could afford daycare or a babysitter while she was at work. I don’t intend to excuse the situation (they could/should have been sitting in the corner with a coloring book or something) but I do wonder what the back-story is.

I was once at a chocolate shop in Estes Park and I watched a ~13 year old boy who was behind the counter walk back where he thought nobody could see him, dip his finger in the warm chocolate, and lick it off his finger. My wife and I turned around and left. Ew!

• greentech says:

Also – if a polite approach solved nothing else, at least Silver wouldn’t seem like such an ass in his own telling of the story.

• DeVore says:

Polite approach? The action called for in this situation was to vault over the counter, punch the employee in the face, and throw the child into the 450 degree oven. You’d be surprised how much satisfaction comes from taking matters into your own hands instead of relying on the inevitable stern reprimand from a manager or the health department.

• TechnicallySpeaking says:

Indeed. Acting like a brat never solved anyone’s problems.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If a child is tangling over a volcano, do you politely ask someone if they think that might possibly be a bad idea, and when told no go about your business?

Ane exteme situation, obviously, but perhaps the woman was supremely concerned with the safety of the child. If you feared a child’s safety, I doubt you’re be quiet about it.

• greentech says:

“I yelled at the woman that I thought that it was unsanitary, a child has no business being back there with you, and this has to be some kind of Health Code violation.”

• Clyde Barrow says:

This is not an extreme situation and if you think it is, get a shrink. Have any of you posters ever been to Europe or Asia or outside of your home town? Maybe the kid should not be making sandwiches but good grief, it’s not unusual to have families helping out either. In fact it is typical in many family-owned businesses because of lower costs and it teaches kids responsibility. There is nothing wrong with having kids on the premises but they should be limited to only certain tasks.

• tonberryqueen says:

If you’re trying to teach the kids responsibility, you might want to teach them to wash their hands and put on gloves before handling food in that kind of setting.

ServSafe standards are pretty strict, and for good reason.

• Clyde Barrow says:

I agree about not yelling. It seems this is the new “I am goinog to control you” method in this country. It’s not good enough to talk with a normal voice, now everyone has to yell to get their point across. This shows a lack of self-control and character.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I’ve found the way to get people to yell louder and make that vein in the forehead pop out is not to yell, remain calm, and have rational conversation. For some reason, “yelly” people think you’re being passive-aggressive if you choose not to yell back, in my experience.

• Skankingmike says:

YELLING? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YELLING? THIS IS MY NORMAL TALKING VOICE.

• dg says:

Bullshit. When something insanely stupid happens – you get vocal about it. The whole concept of “be nice” probably isn’t going to have the intended effect with someone stupid enough to do something insanely stupid.

Note to employees: Leave your demonspawn at home. If you can’t get a sitter – then you stay home. If you do it enough, we’ll replace you with someone else who doesn’t have that problem. But under no circumstances do you bring your kid to work, let it play in front of the store, let it play in the store, let it behind the counter, hand it foodstuffs intended for customers, or allow it near an oven, slicing machine, knives, or cutting board.

If I got the ‘stare’ from the asshole, I’d have stood right there and called the Board of Health, then called the news – “hey, there’s probably going to be a salmonella or listeria outbreak – and I know who patient zero probably is. Wanna come down and see?”

• greentech says:

“Getting vocal” does not have to mean yelling. Go to corporate, call the health dept… do whatever you feel is necessary. You can protect your interests and vocalize your concerns without being a tool.

8. EJ25T says:

Now we know who was responsible for the horrid-looking sandwich in the earlier post.

9. theycallmeGinger says:

Oh, that’s so wrong! Something tells me Quiznos will all of a sudden care about this customer’s experience. They’ll go from ignoring it to taking it very seriously.

• Wombatish says:

Most, if not all, Quiznos are franchises, so probably not sadly.

Chains like that that are all franchise tend to have shitty central customer service, in my experience.

10. AnonyLawyer says:

What happened to the STUDENT LOAN POST?????

11. octowussy says:

Kids should not be making sandwiches. Customers should be acting like adults and not scolding other adults. You should have taken your business elsewhere immediately instead of lecturing another full-grown adult. Both you and your wife sound insufferable and, I suppose, made for each other.

• silvercuellar3 says:

It was more like a Larry David thing. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and went into high pitch voice mode.

• jefeloco says:

So, rather, you asked questions with a concerned state of disbelief? Got it.

I would have done the same thing.

• dreamking says:

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines myself. Quizno’s is not a cable monopoly or a bank. If you dislike, just go elsewhere. You’re not a hero in my book for making a big stink about some worker who obviously was having a bad or rough day. No one wants to bring their kids to work. If it’s a pattern, the manager will eventually find out and address. If you’re that concerned, say, ‘no thanks’, and walk out to the inevitable Subway or whatever other ‘don’t call it fast’ food craphole. The combination of sanitary hysteria and crap food that’s greatly contributed to how horrible we eat these days.

but then I think a lot of Americans take the ‘unsanitary’ line as license to release their inner asshole.

• Mphone says:

So, we don’t have a right to speak up? We should just leave? NO!

Sure he said “Yell.” We do not know for a fact he literally yelled. The word “Yell” is often used in ways that do not mean raising your voice in a loud manner. Simply correcting the situation in a normal tone is taken as a “yell.”

If I were in that situation you bet your ass I would say something. Simply taking your business somewhere else doesn’t solve the problem.

• mythago says:

If you were a manager, you would like to find out that you have a serious problem employee and a big legal risk on your hands

a) right away
        b) after a large number of customers walk out and tell their friends not to patronize your business

• tonberryqueen says:

I take it you’ve never had food poisoning from improperly handled food.

Try throwing up for ten hours, and we’ll see if you feel the same way about the “unsanitary line.” (It’s been four years, and I still cannot bring myself to eat fried rice.)

Maybe they shouldn’t have yelled; maybe they were just exaggerating by using the verb “yelled.”

If there were no reason to take these concerns seriously, there would be no need for health departments, no need to fine or shut down offenders, and, hell, no reason for employees to bother washing their hands after using the bathroom or handling raw meat.

(I volunteer in a shelter kitchen, and we take health code damn seriously, even when some of the guests do not. If I’ve just been washing dirty dishes, and a guest wants me to get her something, I have her wait for me to wash my hands and put on clean gloves, no matter how many times she tells me she doesn’t care if my hands are dirty.)

• Conformist138 says:

Wait, what?

So, by virtue of being over 18, no one should ever call me out on anything I do? I had no idea being an adult was so awesome!

I would have reacted similarly, only because they had already expressed discomfort with the kid being back there, for the woman to then continue on and give her kid the food… that is just over the top stupid.

People assume “yelled” meant “screamed at top volume”, when it could just be “got louder than normal”

12. HighontheHill says:

In our market, between NYC and Boston, when Quiznos first arrived their advertising campaign included three blind cartoon rats, my wife and I thought it a nasty type of ad for a restaurant and have never stepped foot in one.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

What’s the problem with three rats who are cane swingers? Or maybe you though blind people who saw the ad were offended?

• MuffinSangria says:

Think the same commercial was in the DC/MD/VA area, don’t remember them being blind though. However, those little rats/mice/monkeys (think that was Quiznos’ official answer) were so gross looking and commercial so insanely dumb I would loose my appetite. I’ve also never stepped foot in a Quiznos because of that ad. They need to fire their advertisement agency because their current ones are almost as annoying.

• dolemite says:

I feel the same way about Hardees commercials. People are glopping food into their mouths…mayo, chili, etc are splattering about as their mouth smacks loudly. I’m really just grossed out, and I actually used to eat there more BEFORE those commercials. I know they are trying to appeal to the 20-30 guys, and basically I fit that category, but I think those commercials have changed my desire for Hardees permanently.

• Jfielder says:

Those were no rats, they were SpongMonkeys!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I LOVED the spongmonkey ads. I laughed myself sick over them. Sometimes I go online and watch them again!

13. flipflopju says:

I worked one day at a Quizno’s that did this. My boss had her son, a maybe 7 year old, train me because she wouldn’t. At the end of the day, the kid didn’t understand food safety rules so he wasn’t putting anything that needed refrigeration in the fridge saying that it took longer to pull it out so why put it in? It was so gross and awful that I realized I couldn’t continue working there if I was required to eat that during my 12 hour shifts. That was a job that didn’t last.

14. JulesNoctambule says:

A local coffee bar thought it would be cute to let their little girl (nine-ish?) run the register whenever she was there after school. I don’t just mean once or twice, either, but to the point where they’d take the actual employee off register and even insisted the kid get the tips for ‘working’.

I hear they aren’t doing so well financially these days — not just from letting the kid try to figure out how to ring up customers (always fun during a rush!), but from making a whole slew of similar not-so-savvy business decisions. Still, I think that any time shop owners confuse their establishment with a daycare*, they need to start examining their business priorities.

(*actual daycares excepted.)

• kethryvis says:

i used to help my mom at her craft store from ages 9 to about 12. It’s how i learned to count correct change without a calculator or register, and before anyone in my class (the only time i was ever the head of the class in math!). That being said, my mom was always right next to me, watching what i did and making sure i did it right. She’d often be helping another person, or working on another project, but always with one ear on me to make sure i didn’t screw anything up.

Basically, there’s a right way and a wrong way to involve your kids in your business. There’s involving your kid with close supervision… and then there’s, well, not.

• jaya9581 says:

I have great memories of helping my father out in our video rental store when I was 6/7ish years old. I’d retrieve the movies for customers (this is when they were kept behind the counter and the customers brought up empty boxes), put the display boxes back on the shelves (in ABC order!) and type out movie/customer cards. My dad also sometimes let me hit the buttons on the lottery machine, but only while he was watching and showing me what ones to press. Kept me busy during long summers with no childcare. Oh, and I totally got to bring in my NES and play any of the store’s games right there, and pick all the movies that we got to watch in the store.

But I wouldn’t eat a sandwich made by a child, either.

• JulesNoctambule says:

In this case, the parents were elsewhere in the shop, and the little girl wasn’t very good at what she was doing. The line backed up out the door on more than one occasion while she was playing employee and the actual employees really resented it (a friend of mine was one of them). It’s all well and good to encourage your kids to learn how to run a business — hell, I grew up in a family full of family-owned businesses and we were expected to help in all of them — but when customers are leaving because you’re letting your unsupervised child play cashier, it’s time to reconsider!

• Moosenogger says:

I work retail, and I once allowed a child to help me scan the items his mother was buying because they were the only people in line. However, since fate ALWAYS seems to work this way, the second he started helping me I got a gigantic line of customers waiting to check-out. I finished as quickly as possible, sent the child back to his mom, and then rang up the rest of the customers without any idle chitchat.

I felt horrible for making them wait, but I honestly hadn’t even seen them walk up until I had a long line. The kid enjoyed the experience though, so I guess there’s that. :/ (I definitely won’t be doing that again, though.)

15. Rachacha says:

Question for all the consumerist posters. Lets assume for a minute that the child was wearing an apron and some sort of a hairnet, was wearing gloves and was not wiping their nose with their gloved hand. Would you have issues with the child assisting in making the sandwich then from a sanitary perspective? Granted there would still be some potential safety issues that would need to be addressed, but if the child was well behaved and well supervised, these issues would be minimal.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Yes, because sometimes I can’t even trust adults who should know better to not wipe their noses on their hands. Why should I trust that a little kid, who might not know any better, to have sanitary habits?

• JRock says:

I think it’d go from a “gross” factor to a “isn’t this breaking child labor laws?” perspective, in that case.

• Laughing-man says:

15-16 with work permit, yes. Otherwise, kids have no business in the kitchen area, especially when constantly exposed to hot ovens and dangerously sharp knives.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Kids belong in school, daycare, the playground, or in their rooms quietly reading. No, it’s not cute to have your child around while people are conducting business.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

you don’t have kids, do you? 8)

• Conformist138 says:

Kids can work in family businesses and can be trained to do so properly. I did it, brother and I spent our summers putting printed stickers onto VHS cases for the chain of video rental stores my grandparents owned (yes, grandparents, sorry Blockbuster, you are that old). My best friend started helping in her mom’s house cleaning company the moment she was tall enough to push a vacuum cleaner. My mom worked with her parents in their college library catalogging business… it goes on and on.

In this story, the problem is that the kid isn’t being taught to work in business, but instead that it’s seen as okay to make work and play the same thing. Running around with friends and then grabbing food without even washing up is bad and the mom shouldn’t be allowing it.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

If this were say, a family-run bakery and a younger kid was helping make cookies, attired properly and supervised closely, then no, I wouldn’t mind. But the situation the OP described is intolerable. I would definitely have reported it. I also would not have even ordered food from there with the kids running around in the food prep area like that.

• BDSanta2001 says:

The issue then would have been that of child labor. I’m not buying purses made by kids in a sweatshop either.

• arcticJKL says:

I don’t think I would have a problem with that.
      My issues would be with cleanliness and if that much effort and attention was put in to food handling I would assume that as much effort would be put into keeping the child safe.

I also think the children running around prior to the sandwich making painted a picture of out of control kids with dysfunctional parents.

16. Buckus says:

Only one more Quizno’s story to hit the TriFecta! Come on people, I know you can do it!

17. HannahK says:

The employee probably had some kind of childcare emergency. If the kid touched your sandwich with his bare hands, I think it’s more than fair to ask for a new one. But no one is going to want to listen to some random stranger yell at them and lecture them. It doesn’t sound like anyone was in danger. It’s sad to think that the employee, who was already desperate enough that she had to bring her kids to work with her that day, could get fired because a customer went on a crusade to make sure she was punished.

• TechnicallySpeaking says:

You sound like a person who has never had food poisoning from unsanitary preparation. Let’s just all follow health and safety rules, and none of this is even an issue, mmmkay?

• snarkysniff says:

Im sorry but I am freaking sick of this. You have a child care emergency you go home. Don’t bring the kid to work. Find someone else to watch it. It is not appropriate to have the kid behind the counter period. As a customer I would probably be ok with the kid being seated at a table playing a video game or coloring but yes the employee should be fired for having the kid behind the counter PERIOD. If you think different you need to have your head examined.

• GearheadGeek says:

It’s sad to think that an employee who was having a “childcare emergency” wouldn’t at least have enough sense to tell her kids to stay in front of the counter because the food-handling regulations and most likely store policies say so. If she’s raising multiple kids on income from schlepping sandwiches at Quizno’s, she probably can’t afford to lose her job so she should take some precautions.

If her response had been to send her kid out to sit at a table rather than to let one paw the sandwich and let 2 rub their arms on the prep surface, I might feel sorry for her. At some point people have to take responsibility for their own situation, and not supervising her kids better was her fault alone.

• webweazel says:

Or maybe give the child a different job. A 4 year old could clean/wipe up the tables, sweep the floor, wipe up around soda machines, arrange items on shelves, clean windows, etc. A 4 year old could handle most of those, keep busy, and stay out of the food service areas. Most people who came in and saw a kid doing those types of jobs would probably find it ‘sooooo cute’ rather than ‘eeeeewwww snotty hands touched my food!’

• Peacock (Now In Extra Crispy) says:

Not. My. Problem.

Nor is this employee’s childcare’s issue should be the problem of any of the customers of Quiznos. Sheesh! Having a child running around behind the counter, getting involved in food prep is grossly unsanitary and could very well lead to any number of food-borne illnesses.

I’ve got nothing against children–I’m a parent–but I wouldn’t dream of inflicting mine on the public, especially when I’m at work. In a dangerous (to children) environment, what with sharp objects and hot ovens.

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

One would think a person with a ‘child care emergency’ would have the sense to not act like she’s doing customers a favor by showing up. I’m so sick of these idiots who think they’re in a movie about how hip they are and how unhip everyone else is.

A person with a child should give a shit about having a job, or not have kids.

• womynist says:

+1,000,000 to you!

• RvLeshrac says:

She can stay home for a day, lose her home because the Quiznos job barely pays enough for rent and food as it is, then you can bitch and moan and whine about how she’s homeless or on welfare, and should “get a job.”

• tonberryqueen says:

…or she can have the kids sit with books, a game, or some paper and crayons at one of the tables, in her line of sight. The sort of thing that most parents do when a childcare emergency forces them to bring their kid(s) to work. My mother did this with me more than once, and I suspect that plenty of other parents have in either single-parent or two-earner households.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Kids do not make sandwiches, even in a “childcare emergency.” She broke the law. She deserves disciplinary action.

• haggis for the soul says:

It’s one thing to have a kid sitting at a table coloring or doing homework or whatever. That wouldn’t bother me so much. The kid running around and getting involved with customers’ food is beyond the pale.

18. mythago says:

Yes, the customer should not have yelled, but this is insane. A commercial kitchen is no place for a little kid; it’s dangerous enough for grown-ups, and forget all the food safety issues. This goes way beyond an employee who had a daycare issue and let the kid sit in the front of the restaurant. OP should contact the Health Department as well as Quizno’s corporate.

• Mphone says:

But did they “yell”

It is a interchangeable word for correction, is it not? Haven’t you ever heard someone say “Don’t yell at me!” when the other person was in fact not yelling? I have, It happens. A LOT! I really think people are latching on to the literal YELL to much in this story.

• mythago says:

But even if the customer DID yell, it has nothing at all to do with the question of what the employee did. It’s not like it becomes less not-okay to have your child working the sandwich counter because a customer yelled at you instead of quietly asking you to get the kid out of there.

19. odarkshineo says:

Do you really think the employee was any cleaner if she were letting her nasty kids fix your food?…doubtful. That’s the chance you take when eating out. =[

20. deadandy says:

I really don’t mean to create or feed into a stereotype, if one exists, but this kind of thing is very common in ethnic communities, at least in Arizona. People that came here from other countries don’t necessarily share the same attitude about child labor as the US does.

For example, there is an Indian restaurant I frequent in Phoenix and the owners clearly bring their children to work with them every day. Their older daughter (probably 8 or 9) is the hostess. She’s not just playing around–she is always sitting at the host’s station, greeting people, and helping them find a seat. Frequently their toddler is also parked in a stroller there and the older girl is responsible for entertaining her while she works.

I’m not excusing their actions, or their disregard for labor and health regulations, but I think it’s a cultural thing.

• K-Bo says:

A Chinese restaurant in my hometown was busted multiple times for keeping their baby in the restaurants only bathroom (AKA the one customers need to use) I think you are right, different societies do have different values.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

I worked at my Dad’s store and my Grandmother’s store from ages 9-13.
      I had a blast.

I am not considered “ethnic”

Also,I really don’t mean to create or feed into a stereotype, but most Americans don’t know what a family is anymore. Other countries have large close family members that grow up on the same streets and open family businesses.
      Americans are always Jerry Springering and suing each other.

21. GearheadGeek says:

Fort Worth Consumer Health

Report them. Nothing but clean hands and clean food should ever touch the prep surface, and if it does the surface should be sanitized or swapped for an already-sanitized one if they’re interchangeable.

Of course since you didn’t report them when this happens, the inspector will saunter by at some time when her kids are in school (which started this week in Fort Worth for grades 1+, and starts after Labor Day for kindergarten kids) and will say “I don’t see what the problem is here.” It’s the sort of thing that should be reported immediately.

22. holden190 says:

Silver and wife: you guys were in the right, but acted totally bratty. I would’ve have said “Can you please not have your child make my sandwich?” If she refused, I would’ve just left the store and never returned.

23. davidc says:

I don’t see any “issue” with letting a child assemble a sandwich as long as they put gloves on and can turn their head then they sneeze and are supervised should not be a big deal.

Reality is that you don’t have to be a “trained professional” to transfer food stuffs from little square containers to bread. It’s really not something that requires anything more then “good aim”.

As long as the kid can get the right amount of a condiment on the sandwich in a even distribution, then I don’t see the *big* deal. Especially if the Mom/Dad are standing there watching / helping the kid. Common sense … what a concept huh?

• UltimateOutsider says:

If you read the post you would see that the child came in from outside, without washing his hands, and it doesn’t mention whether he even bothered to put gloves on. I wouldn’t want him making my sandwich either.

• humphrmi says:

Yeah, all that common sense went out the window with those damn child labor laws.

Sure, maybe the kid was just there because of a one-off childcare emergency, and wanted to “be like mommy” and help make a sandwich.

Or, maybe the kid was there all the time, and mommy told him or her that if he/she wants to eat dinner that night, he/she has to work.

It’s not cute and it’s not appropriate.

24. johnrhoward says:

The kid’s safety around ovens and such isn’t really your concern. The only thing to get upset about here is the kid touching things without washing his hands. But I wouldn’t worry too much about that because the employee probably hadn’t washed her hands either.

25. silvercuellar3 says:

Maybe yell is a strong word, I suffer from voice immodulation disorder.

26. El Chancho says:

Hey, Octowussy, apt name.

Perhaps we should not be defending what is clearly completely absurd behavior from the employee in question, hmm? Seriously, did somebody actually scold the author for saying something at all? So the proper response is…nothing?

I am having to read some of the comments again to make sure I got it right.

Wow.

27. 718 says:

I ate at a Quiznos once. No, scratch that, I BOUGHT FOOD at a Quiznos and took one bite before throwing it away. Good sanitary conditions won’t help that garbage.

That aside, if I’m paying a restaurant for food, it needs to be prepared by ADULTS, not by a child. It doesn’t matter whether that child is supervised or not. If you want your kid to know how to prepare food, do it at home.

28. scurvycapn says:

I’ve been to a few Quiznos in my day that had children working in them. They seemed to be family owned. Mom, dad, and an eleven or so year old boy.

29. edicius is an acquired taste says:

I actually rather like Quiznos, but the moment I see a little kid messing about behind the counter of one, I’m tapping out. I don’t want a little rugrat anywhere near a food prep station.

30. invisibelle says:

Ah, the hazards of franchising.

• Doubts42 says:

Yeah. Quiznos quality and customer service vary widely from one location to another. The Quizno’s near my house is great. The owner is almost always there, the dining room and restrooms are spotless and everyone is always friendly and fast. The Quiznos near my office however is horrible. dirty, poorly maintained with hostile staff and the food quality is horrible.

31. jimmyhl says:

I hate to be one of those “I can top that” kind of guys but I can’t resist this time. On one “Bring Your Kid to Work” Day back when I was a prosecutor in federal court, some asshat of a judge let some little 7 year-old kid sit on his lap behind the bench and conduct an arraignment of a bank robber. I almost crapped my 100% worsted wool pinstriped pants. The board of judges got wind of it (not the crap in my pants) and laid down the law (pun intended/not intended) with the asshat judge. What a maroon!

32. progrocktv says:

OMG NO! I’d NEVER eat there again! Local coffee place did that, woman was working register with one hand, holding a gurgling, drooling baby on the other. What’s worse is he she kept wiping drool off of her register hand on to her shirt. Not only is this a health issue, the baby was not more than 2 feet away from the Espresso machine. All the customers thought it was “adorable” and “cute” (obviously she had it there for attention) I’ll NEVER go there again!!!!

33. alexmmr says:

It’s just inappropriate to entertain a child by means of serving the customer.

In the cases mentioned where the young child works as a hostess and is professional about it, ok, I get that. Not what my culture would have kids doing but I don’t see the real harm other than the poor kid doesn’t seem to get much play time.

But as a customer, if I’m running to grab a sandwich on my lunch break, it’s unfair of the worker to force me to humor her kid who’s playing at working and making food. The kid doesn’t know how much of each ingredient goes on there. The kid isn’t going to be making my sandwich as efficiently as possible. Why should I have to humor your damn kid with my time and taste buds? You are getting paid to provide me a service and I expect you to provide me that service.

And of course, sanitary, child labor laws, ewwww factor, hot oven, issues ad nauseam.

34. Rocket80 says:

I would just turn around and go elsewhere. No one needs a quiznos sandwich so bad that they should actually get angry and upset about it. I’m not going to waste my time trying to convince some minimum wage worker to do a better job, nor would I waste my time calling any health department or government agency.

I probably would, however, tell Consumerist because that is actually an effective way to get something done, or at least get the word out. I just wish Consumerist would cite specific locations where these things happen.

35. buckeyegoose says:

I would of called the police. For starters the employee was endangering a minor by allowing them to run freely near that open oven, not to mention the other knives and other sharp edges a commercial kitchen has. But also endangering the public’s health just by the actions mentioned above, who knows what else that kid may of touched, dropped and put in their mouth that wasn’t seen.

36. PLATTWORX says:

Quizno is known for horrid franchise owners who refuse to accept chain coupons and have sued the headquarters a couple of times. The locations near my have opened and closed twice and barely have a customer in them when open. WHY? Big sign on the door that says “We don’t accept Quizno coupons”

Also, I have to be honest, the employee from HORRID but I find that you just don’t engage them. You are not going to encourage cooperation by snapping at someone “First of all, I don’t think that kid has washed his hands, is an employee, or should be standing next to a 450Ëš open oven.” then you followed up that with “I yelled at the woman that I thought that it was unsanitary, a child has no business being back there with you, and this has to be some kind of Health Code violation. “

OK, your wife snapped at her about how to raise her kids and then you admitted yelling at her. Were you expecting to get lots of honey by splashing her with all that vinegar?? Not exactly productive.

Write down her name, leave the store, report her. Engaging her like that was useless. Was she supposed to get on her knees and thank you for your parenting advice? She was wrong, but your tone just made it worse. I see neither of you are negotiators.

37. gafpromise says:

From the OP’s own report, they started it by commenting about something that was really none of their business. The employee gets offended and lets the kid help with the sandwich out of pure spite. Passive aggressive, yes. But surely there was a better way for the OP to handle it from the beginning. Their statement sounds totally accusatory and I might have blown them off too.

38. DanRydell says:

Ugh, children are so dirty

39. coren says:

Chris, can I ask why the location of this specific store was not redacted when many others seem to be?

40. framitz says:

The OP should have acted like an adult instead of a brat child and called the HEALTH DEPARTMENT to report the issue.

But it seems the OP is more concerned about causing the employee grief than for public safety.

The employee was wrong to have a child behind the counter, but the situation could have been handled much better.

41. denisem says:

Please, please file a report with the Health Department and let corporate at Subway know about this, this is completely unacceptable.

• elangomatt says:

Really? Subway Corporate? What are they going to do? Go film at that Quiznos and use it in their commercials to try to put the Subway competitor that is Quiznos out of business?

42. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

And there you have it, folks. People in the service industry just don’t give a shit.

43. sjgarg says:

If you ever need a reason to NOT have young children working in a kitchen/food prep area, here’s a chilling WSIB (workplace safety and insurance board of Canada) ad from a few years ago that’ll convince you.

44. physics2010 says:

Quiznos lost me a long time ago with their little genital-hair characters on their commercials. Not sure who they were advertising to, but it wasn’t me.

45. Link_Shinigami says:

I live in Canada, the town I went to College in had two Quiznos, one was closed for “renovations”, they had rat problems and tons of other health violations. They never reopened and they never took down the “renovations” sign. Because of this place, I’ve always refused to work at Quiznos… They are just sketchy and this further proves it

46. PDXoriginal says:

Quiznos is a sinking ship. Half the Quiznos around here closed up and ones still hanging on are willing to give you their franchise if you just take over the lease.

47. hypodad says:

Teaching kids to work. Shame on that parent. Kids should be home playing video games. At the very least they should be seen but not heard. Seriously now. Dude, take a chill pill.

48. Westerneer says:

Quiznos huh? I will perhaps skip the weekly beef & swiss sandwich. Yuck

49. carl_lazlo says:

The exact same thing happened to me at a fatburger in NJ. I was there with my GF and we saw a 5-7 year old Spanish boy running back and forth behind the counter. Turns out he was the child of one of the cooks. We watched him run around the restaurant, go into the bathroom, come out 30 seconds later and then grab a customer;s cheeseburger and start putting cheese on it. When I confronted the manager on duty he basically said to relax and that it was just cute.

Using some of the techniques listed here I found the email address of several high level people at fatburger and emailed them the story. Within a day I got a call form the owner of the store and we had a long conversation about he issue. He gave me almost $100 in free food and asked that I not make a huge of it with the health department and he would deal with it internally.

I found out a few weeks later when he contacted me again that he suspended the woman for a week without pay but let her keep her job. (Which I think was a fair punishment.) I never saw the child there again.

50. Bkhuna says:

Call your local Health Department and file a complaint. It’s one of the few effective ways to make an impact on businesses that ignore health regulations.

51. bebette says:

That’s nasty…and I’d never go back. The parent was obviously aware that the child had not washed his hands and didn’t care, so why would you assume that hers are any cleaner? This is a worker completely unconcerned about safe food prep. Contact the franchise owner and the health department for sure.

52. narcs says:

so wrong.

similarly i was at a mcdonald’s getting my wife a sundae and added a cheesburger for myself. I saw the kid come up from the back wiping his hands on his shirt and then proceed to make my burger barehanded. When the girl at the front handed me my sundae and bag with the burger in it I said I didn’t want it becuase I saw how the kid made it. The manager overheard, came over an appologized and offered to make a new cheeseburger. I said no thanks, that I’d get more satisfaction calling the corporate office and report the unsanitary conditions.

couple weeks later that kid and the manager no longer work there.

53. brinks says:

When I was really young, my mom was a server at a restaurant. I remember once, when she was in a bind because a babysitter flaked out, I came to the restaurant with her for a few hours until my dad was able to come get me. I sat at a table and colored, and the chef made me “Pac Man” pancakes. I wasn’t running around, and I sure as hell wasn’t touching food.

I feel for parents when their childcare falls through. Taking your kid to work should be a last resort, but you might have to do it if your job is at stake. You still have to be a parent, though, and not let your snot-nosed kid touch people’s food or otherwise cause a disruption.

Gross.

54. rubicthecube says:

I like the fact that people are having a bad experience somewhere but stay only to later complain. If I would’ve seen the kids running around and whatnot, I would’ve done an about face and gone elsewhere. The fact that this person and his wife stuck around, means that he doesn’t really mind having boogers on his sandwich. Don’t get my wrong, the quiznos shouldnt have had kids running around, but if you see all this going on and still decide to eat there, you too are also at fault. Instead of complaining, just dont go there.

55. shanelee24 says:

Not only wrong, but very, very unprofessional.

56. Surfergirl1286 says:

Similar things happen at the quiznos where i live.. but i haven’t seen that type of thing lately..im pretty sure someone must have said something.. but at least these kids were older.. but still i dont approve at all.

57. pot_roast says:

The OP should also find out who owns the franchise and to contact them. And keep bugging corporate. It’s probably a family owned franchise and it’s the “family business” and they see nothing wrong with letting the kids run around.

I’m also in Fort Worth. Call the city. They like sending code enforcement folks out to levy fines. Fines = less of a budget shortfall.