Airport Installs 40-Foot-Tall Twister Slide

To distract travelers from delayed and canceled flights, Singapore’s Changi Airport installed a 40-foot-tall super twister slide that they can zip down at 19 feet per second.

If you spend $22 in the airport, you get two free ride tokens on the Slide@T3. I guess if you get people laughing and having fun while plummeting towards the earth, they’ll be less anxious while flying. Too bad we’ll never see anything like this in the United States, there would be lawsuits disgorging themselves from the bottom of the slide on opening day.

Super Slide Opens in Singapore Airport [Intransit.blogs.nytimes]

Comments

1. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

You would never see something like this in the US. There would be lawsuits the very first day.

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

The article doesn’t address whether passengers will be able to leave their baggage with someone at the mouth of the twister slide. How long before some sparkle in his mother’s eye ignores the attendant and attempts to take his carry-on luggage with him, only to get stuck somewhere in the slide and they have to either suction him out or dismantle the slide?

• EmDeeEm says:

My thought exactly. I don’t know how it is there, but here, if you are separated from your bag for more then 1/10 of a second, the whole place goes into lockdown and you go to Gitmo.

• stormbird says:

We had a laundry chute in my childhood home; when things got stuck, we dropped a brick with a rope tied through it until the blockage was pushed through. I’m sure China has the technical know-how to recreate that technology and the callousness to use it.

• FooSchnickens - Full of SCAR says:

Can’t get that scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory out of my head now…

• kompeitou says:

Maybe their bags get sent down the slide also…. one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi…. here come your bags!

Don’t lollygag around at the base of the slide.

3. Moosehawk says:

One word: Fucking awesome.

4. diasdiem says:

They got the idea from Jet Blue.

5. Matt says:

These look like the slides they had installed at the Tate Modern back in 2006.

6. coss3n says:

This being Singapore, I have to assume there is a full-body scanner embedded somewhere in the slide.

7. c!tizen says:

That’s the biggest full body scanner I’ve ever seen. Looks thorough.

8. Donathius says:

The might be less anxious while flying but the whole time they’re on the slide they’ll be thinking “I just spent $22 to do WHAT? How would I hide this on an expense repo…crap…I left my laptop at the top of the slide.”

• Anathema777 says:

You get the ride tokens for spending $22 in the airport. So buy lunch there, pick up the tokens, and expense the lunch.

9. quijote says:

This reminds me–when is vacuum tube transportation ever going to become a reality?

10. Romario says:

There are only a few airports that I wouldn’t mind getting stuck in between flights. Singapore Changi is near the top of the list. There is a lot to do to occupy your time between flights. It is clean, it is efficient and there’s even a free city tour if you have more than a three hour layover. Having flown in and out of Changi over 100 times, I like it.

11. Hoss says:

I can almost guarantee there is someone responsible to keep that thing clean. Glad that’s not my job

12. packcamera says:

Look an awful lot like this Carsten Höller piece.

13. Hungry Dog says:

The key thing to remember is this is in Singapore, if this was in America I am sure it would be clogged with a over weight person on a daily basis.

14. Bohemian says:

Sliding down that in a work skirt and heels could gain you a “fan club” at the end of the slide.

15. missdona says:

Singapore Rules. First, Fish Spas, now this!

16. PLATTWORX says:

Not only would someone sue in 2 seconds, most adults in the US would simply look at it and walk by.

17. Jfielder says:

Bad ass… I could get belligerent on 22 dollars worth of beer, then go ride the slide once, puke in it on the second ride!

• Doubts42 says:

If you get belligerent on $22 worth of beer at airport prices you are one of the cheapest drunks i have ever met.

18. JGB says:

having worked in Singapore for a while, I can attest to the fact that Changi is by far the nicest airport in the world. A full sized shopping mall, a swimming pool, sleeping rooms you can rent by the hour, damned nice places to eat. And whores.

19. AllanG54 says:

I’ll bet there’ll be a lot of people chewing gum on the way down since it’s banned everywhere else.

20. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Yeah, that’s all well and good until a fat guy gets stuck in the damn thing, causing a human log jam.

Or some little kid throws up in it.

Weeeeeee! Splat.

21. Nighthawke says:

Oh I can get behind this if it comes to the states. Quick getaway slides for the travelers that are running late…

GANGWAY!

22. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

New Belgium Brewery has this crazy metal twist slide at their brewery that you *can* go down after the tour. It’s a blast and not at all that safe. Which is the beauty.

My boy has been bugging me to plan a trip to Singapore (I’m aiming for 2020, as it will take at least 10 years to save for it), so methinks we’ll have to try it out!

23. taun says:

Aside from lawsuits, 60% of Americans would not be able to fit due to obesity.

24. Nick1693 says:

Should’ve made it an inflatable slide with an emergency exit door at the top. “Pretend to be Steven Slater” could’ve been a huge hit.

25. NumberSix says:

WHEEEEEEEEEE!

26. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Now if they could just install boarding ramps like that. “Okay, everyone board….NOW! Wheeeeeeee!”

27. bon13 says:

em… why is this post tagged “China”?