U-Haul Makes You Drop Off At Other Location, Then Charges You For It

Christina went to return her Uhaul rental, but when she arrived at her scheduled time, she found the lot was already closed. Customer service told her to return the truck to the nearest nearby Uhaul place, a chore in and of itself. Then she got charged for returning it to the “wrong” location, and all-told her $19.99 rental has blossomed into $220 that navigating the twists and turns and delays of customer service hasn’t gotten her refunded. Here’s the letter she wrote to Joe, the CEO of Uhaul.

Christina writes:

I sent this to Joe the CEO who famously revealed his cell phone number on TV (which redirects you in his voicemail to his email). I found that number in your archives (thanks consumerist)

Good day Joe,

Thank you for leaving your email on your phone number. I’ve run into a sticky situation with your U-Haul’s of Brooklyn NY. I think you would be interested to know that there are some poor practices going on in that area.

I scheduled myself to pick up a truck at the [redacted] location at 10am. I’m not complaining about the service at this location, although I should. I counted 25 people in line on a Sunday morning at 10am and we were all there for an hour or more in line. It just didn’t move. I did get my truck, having arrived early, received it at 10:30am (my pickup time was 10). No biggie, right? OK. My scheduled drop off time was 10pm, same location (Contract number [redacted]). When I arrived at 10pm the location was closed with a big fence locked around the place. There was no drop box for keys, as my contract indicated there would be. Perplexed, I called U-Haul Customer Service (1-800-GO-U-Haul) and spoke with two fine ladies, [redacted] and [redacted], who both told me to take it to the nearest location with a drop box. I didn’t like this solution, but I had no other option, I live in the city without a car and its a decent sized headache to get to these U-Haul locations.

So off I go to the closest U-Haul with a drop box, [redacted]. This location is so awful it should be immediately stripped of any right to the name of U-Haul. There is a chained dog which greets the visitors with vicious barking. There is a non-English speaking employee handling the dropoffs.

He made me move the van 3 times before I gave up and handed him the keys. He refused the keys so I put them in the dropbox myself, and left. I walked under a dark bridge to the nearest subway station in Brooklyn, at night thanks to the unclear policies of the [redacted] U-Haul. But wait, there’s more.

The next day I have my $80 mandatory pre-payment from U-Haul on my card PLUS a $143.78 charge for dropping off the U-Haul truck at the wrong location. The location which U-Haul told me to drop it off at. And that’s nothing to mention the gas I used and the miles I used (which I will have to get reimbursed for) to get to the new location. So now you see my $19.99 truck has cost $220. Not good.

The worst part was being shuffled around general customer service, the regional district, the [redacted] store, and the non english speaking [redacted] address. I would particularly like to point out that [redacted] at [redacted] who is a reservation manager kept me on hold for no less than an hour and a half and a couple of times pretended she hadn’t already spoke with me, and rudely told me repeatedly that it was my fault, despite listening to my explanations.

My request is this: A full refund for the $80.00, plus any additional mileage or gasoline fees [redacted] U-Haul might add on, plus a refund for the $143.78. I’ve had an awful experience and I would appreciate your support at this time. I have used U-Haul before and had a very positive experience, I hope we can resolve this matter in a manner that benefits both of us. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely yours,

Christina

Comments

1. TechnicallySpeaking says:

I wish you the best, but based on my personal experiences with U-Haul, you are lucky to get out of there with_only_ an extra $200 in fees, and you should thank your personal deity for small miracles.

I myself have never complained to Joe CEO, but if he is anything at all like the managers in the Boston area, you might get something from a stern-talking to to a full-on dressing down in exchange for your valued patronization.

• Griking says:

Tell me about it. If the OP is pissed now wait until U-Haul bills another few hundred dollars to his account claiming that they found mystery scratches or dents on the vehicle that they claim weren’t there when it was picked up.

• Taddare says:

U-haul tried that mysterious scratch and dents thing with me. The manager was less than pleased when I arrived with my digital camera showing all the damage on the truck from pickup.

2. El_Fez says:

I’ve not rented from them, but couldn’t they have just left the truck and slid the keys under the office door (or left them under the mat or something?)

• econobiker says:

“When I arrived at 10pm the location was closed with a big fence locked around the place.”

Since she is talking about the NYC area the big fence is 10′ with an additional 2′ of razor wire on top of it. No sliding keys under the door here and if she left the truck in the street it might be towed (similar to stolen since the NY parking people would impound and lose it), vandalized, stripped, or stolen (see towed above) on a good day.

• El_Fez says:

Ah – fair enough, I didn’t think about the location and how New York can be a bit rough-n-tumble. That’s what you get for living in the Hippie Northwest all your life.

• uberbitter says:

I doubt there was anywhere nearby that she could have left the truck since the lot was locked up – NYC isn’t exactly the first place you think of for easy on-street parking.

• Gundy says:

they dont keep spare keys to unlock the truck and get the keys out since the trucks may be one place one day and another the next. found this out when my kids locked the keys into a uhaul i rented and had to pay to get the door opened after going to the uhaul office and asking them for a spare key.

• kateforgach says:

I live in a much smaller city with an unlocked lot and they wouldn’t allow me to leave the truck without full check-in.

I was promised 24-hour use through the following day but learned when I arrived at 8 a.m. they’d be closed the next day. Then they said I had to have the truck back by 4 p.m.that day because they wanted to close up early.

I’ve used local rentals since.

3. snapdoodle says:

I’d like to mention that I recently ran into some rude behavior at a manhattan u-haul. Fortunately, I had an alternative. Some people might be out of luck in that regard in New York City.

I’ll never be a u-haul customer ever because of poor customer service. And from what the OP mentions I’ll probably never be a customer because of their awful business practices either. But I guess you get what you pay for since every other corporate provider I researched was priced much much higher.

I wish there were more local moving/rental businesses available that would compete.

4. spunkmonkey says:

Issue a charge back on your credit card.

5. apple420 says:

I was hoping to hear some sort of response. How long has it been since she sent the email? The whole story seemed to end abruptly…
    I don’t understand the $80 mandatory prepayment charge either.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

They make you pay more than their advertised rate, and then get a credit back for what you don’t use. This is so if you rent a truck for $19.99 plus 5 cents a mile, then drive 100 miles, and your card only has $20 left on it until you’re at your limit, they’re not out the difference.

My local U-Haul is pretty good, although I’ve never moved for less than $100, and that’s in town, using my own boxes. But they’re pretty up-front about it, and very accommodating. They always promptly refund the difference between my deposit and what my charges are (I usually have to pay $150 up front and then get the difference back.)

6. knoxblox says:

I’ve never been happy with U-Haul. Their contracts are specifically designed to trap the customer in a no-win situation.

Whenever I can help it, I rent a car instead.

7. Grungo says:

It sucks that Christina got jobbed by U-Haul, but I’d be surprised if this long-winded letter (with many tangential and pointless details) gets a response.

• koalabare says:

I agree. Too many unnecessary details.

• MeowMaximus says:

I disagree – I think it is a well crafted and thoughtful letter, that lays out the reasons for her dissatisfaction in a clear, fairly concise fashion. She clearly stated what she expected to be done by way of compensation (and I don’t think her request is at all unreasonable), and she did not get angry in the letter.

I would really love a follow up on this one to hear what happens.

• outshined says:

The letter is fine. It’s not really her fault that so many things happened that it turned into 7 paragraphs. If it had just been the closed office, the letter might have been shorter. It’s all the other nonsense she had to deal with that made this lengthy.

• LadyTL says:

So should she have written in in texting shorting hand to make it shorter for you to read?

8. pecan 3.14159265 says:

“This location is so awful it should be immediately stripped of any right to the name of U-Haul.”

No, it seems exactly like it should be called a U-Haul.

9. mbgrabbe says:

Uhaul’s policies are very confusing, and (I think) they do this intentionally to rack up fees against you. They’re hoping you just give up and pay them. :-(

10. Don't_rip_me_off_bro says:

Her letter is too long.

11. benbell says:

All of my uhaul experiences have ended in failure.

Budget on the other hand has been great to me!

Rent Budget, newer trucks and easier to work with. You pay more, but its worth it.

• caradrake says:

I mentioned this below, but my experience is the opposite. I can spend $550 to rent a one-way 17′ (16’? 18’? That basic range, at least) from Uhaul – or $200 to rent a one-way 24′ truck from Budget.

I guess it really depends on where you’re at, then.

• TacoChuck says:

I have always had good luck with Penski too. And Penski usually has much newer vehicles and much better sizes with lifts.

• econobiker says:

Penske is especially good if you can rent over the weekend as most of their units rent to companies versus the consumer side.

A+ on the lifts if you have limited space to drop a ramp or need to unload 32′ of motorcycles, motorcycle engines, and tubs of heavy motorcycle parts.

Downside is that Penske units with ramps are dock height not uhaul’s lower floor height and they don’t max out the cube space with “mom’s attic” over the cab. The upside is that you can load and unload a car at a dock into a dock height floor truck with the correct gross vehicle weight rating. Not that this is legal for their contracts but I knew a guy…

12. Wrayvin says:

This is the reason why I switched to Ryder. My U-haul experience involved power steering going out 50 miles into my 100 mile trip on I-17 in Arizona. Lots of grades, mountains, and switchbacks with no power steering – bad times. Ryder is more expensive but I have yet to have a bad experience.

13. danmac says:

I’m very sorry that this had to happen to the OP, and as someone with his own U-Haul mishap story (http://consumerist.com/2006/10/u-hauls-voodoo-reservation-system.html), I can completely empathize.

The only advice I can give to everyone who reads this site is to never, ever use this company. There are better, cheaper options out there (Penske, Value, etc.).

14. Skipweasel says:

I don’t want to sound like I’m blaming the customer here, but does anyone really think they are going to actually get to hire a truck for $20?
    With luck she’ll be able to tie them down to their terms and conditions if they’ve breached any, but these eye-catching prices aren’t to be believed; if it looks to good to be true it probably is.

• danmac says:

There’s a difference between paying $35.00 for a $20 truck and paying $220 for it. I think we all realize that the price we’re given for certain services doesn’t always include tax, miscellaneous fees, etc. When that markup is over 1,000%, however, and it includes an unscheduled trip to a dangerous neighborhood late at night? That’s completely unreasonable, and if you think it is, you are blaming the OP unnecessarily.

• kc2idf says:

Not the point. She got charged for following their instructions. Not right.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

U-Haul advertises $19.99 per day for local truck rentals. Other than tax and gas, that’s the price.

• asten77 says:

Erm, no, there’s also a per-mile fee. They *do* have that on the ad, but in uber tiny print.

• AllanG54 says:

Wrong….even on small box trucks there’s a $2.39 PER MILE charge as well. Read the side of the truck next time you see one.

• JonBoy470 says:

It’s $20 to rent the truck, but that doesn’t include any mileage. So you incur $2-3 more for each mile, plus fees if you return the truck with less fuel than it was rented out with. U-Haul’s publicizing of this pricing scheme leaves much to be desired, as they (probably intentionally) do a bad job of clearly spelling it out.

That said, I assume the OP booked her rental online, and that the site, like most such sites, is basically a fancy front-end to a computer database. It would be trivial for that database to have info on the hours, and “amenities” (such as key drop boxes) of each of their locations. The fact that their site didn’t prevent the OP from booking an “invalid” rental (returning a truck to a location with no drop box after it’s closing time). So, EPIC FAIL on U-Haul on that one.

The fact that the barrier of entry to becoming a U-Haul dealer is very low means that many shady, unscrupulous operators can slap the “U-Haul” name on their storefront and proceed to sully the (admittedly already dirty) U-haul name.

15. dush says:

UHaul is bad. They drive the trucks around but then don’t adjust the mileage on their computers.
    Always check that the mileage in the truck reads the same as the computer print out before you pull out of the lot.

16. Andy Dufresne says:

If you knew you had to get the truck back by 10pm because the drop-off location closed at 10pm, wouldn’t you make a bit of an effort to get there BEFORE 10pm? Just sayin’…

• Shadowfax says:

If you knew the answers to your questions are in the letter, wouldn’t you read it? Just sayin’. . .

The letter says that the contract instructed her to leave the keys in a drop box. Uhaul’s failure to actually have a drop box is not the OP’s fault.

• Andy Dufresne says:

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that the UHaul in Brooklyn isn’t going to leave the gate to their parking lot open all night (with they keys located in one spot). Or is that standard procedure for returning a rental vehicle nowadays – you just park it and drop the keys in a box?

• Brunette Bookworm says:

I’m not in Brooklyn but when my boyfriend rented a Uhaul to move, yes, parking the truck and dropping the keys in the drop box the rental place had was standard. They aren’t going to generally keep someone around late at night if they can just have a box for keys.

• MauriceCallidice says:

I’ve rented a Uhaul four times in the last six years or so. Dropping the keys in a dropbox after hours is standard operating procedure.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Uh, that’s how it’s done. SOP.

• coren says:

“Or is that standard procedure for returning a rental vehicle nowadays – you just park it and drop the keys in a box?”

According to what she was told: Yes.

• runswithscissors says:

Your OP blame has failed. The customer was instructed that there would be a drop box, standard operating procedure for U-Haul rentals.

It was also stipulated in her contract. You know, that thing where if there’s something stipulated that the OP didn’t know about, the Consumerist OP Blame Crew all cry “should have read the entire contract before signing!”. But now there is something in the contract that the BUSINESS is ignoring. So make with the “the business should have read their own contract!” cries. Go on.

Oh right! That wouldn’t blame the OP! D’OH!

17. Sparty999 says:

That sounds like a problem they should be willing to fix, but I would not deal with anyone at the store level.

One thing I would note from my experience… Pricing is based on pick-up and drop off locations… sometimes there is a huge financial benefit to dropping off at certain locations… for instance, the cost of a one way trip from North Carolina to Michigan was like $300… and from Michigan to North Carolina was like $800 a few years ago. If they need trucks somewhere, they make it cheap. Though they may build a transfer fee in there, I would be suprised if it was actually more expensive than it would have been.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

yeah, I noticed that earlier this year. With U-Haul and another company (can’t remember which one). The price varied on the drop-off/pick-up location.

18. NarcolepticGirl says:

Did Christina arrive AT 10pm? She says in her letter that the place closes at 10pm.

Personally, because of things like this situation, I always try to drop rentals and things like that off at least an hour before closing time. Not at the time that they close.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

(even if there’s a drop box). I don’t like just dropping something off like that without making sure I speak with an employee.

But if I did happen to be in this situation, I would probably fight it.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Where in the letter does she say the place closes at 10pm?

Even then, there’s supposed to be a way to drop off the truck after hours. She says the contract says there should be a drop box and a way to drop off the truck after hours. If they couldn’t accept a drop off after hours, they should say that on the paperwork, or not schedule dropoffs after their closing time, which presumably would be known beforehand.

19. caradrake says:

It’s horror stories like this that have sent me running from Uhaul to find an almost literal haven in Budget. We scheduled a pickup for our (last) Uhaul at 8am. It was accepted and confirmed. We get to the location on the day of our move… and the location didn’t even open until 9am.

They refused to do anything for us. That’s just the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Whereas at Budget, each time we’ve rented with them (4 times in the last two years), we’ve had excellent customer service. They’ve been friendly, helpful, willing to waive fees, helped us when we had difficulties finding diesel gas… and I’ve found that they cost half the price, for a larger truck.

20. Ahardy55 says:

I once rented a very scratched up and dented U-Haul from a place in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Let me state this clearly, I have never, ever seen another automobile that scratched up in my life. It looked like it someone had handwashed it with steel wool. To the extent that during the walk around, the guy basically circled the entire truck as dented on the sheet. So, imagine my shock when they tried to claim we had put a scratch on the truck upon it’s return and a dent in an area that was already circled as having been dented. The guy tried to take information to charge us for it, and I flat out refused (it was 4 a.m. and I was already livid because twice U-Haul had to send someone out because the battery kept dying). I demanded that he call his store manage at 4 a.m. and that if he made any attempt to take this any further, I would call the cops on the spot. He then gave some “okay, I’ll let it go this time” crap.
    Uggg….

• JonBoy470 says:

The irony of course is that they use the money they sock you for the damage to fix the damage, I mean, buy the little round stickers that indicate the damage is pre-existing.

21. AliceAitch says:

Several years ago I was on a REALLY tight budget for a move. I rented a truck to move from Wichita, Kansas to Colorado. My husband still had a bunch of stuff in his parents’ garage from when we lived in Oklahoma, so the plan was to pick up a truck in Oklahoma, drive it to Kansas, load up our apartment, then drive the rest of the way to Colorado. I reserved the second-largest truck and was told that I could always trade up for the largest truck if I got to the Oklahoma U-Haul location and found that the truck was too small. Of course, that happened, but surprise! They didn’t have the next size up. I tried to arrange to rent a trailer in Kansas but was told I’d have to go to Lawrence to pick it up – after I gave them my credit card info and they charged my card. They were unable to transfer the credit to an Oklahoma location. I finally managed to get a rental trailer south of Oklahoma City (had to drive the truck to pick it up) by using the remaining credit I’d allotted for food for the trip and headed up to Kansas and then Colorado. The truck’s air conditioning didn’t work (it was right before the July 4 weekend), the power steering was minimal and the brakes were grinding.

We got our stuff unloaded and I called the U-Haul store that was scheduled for the drop-off to get directions – our computers weren’t set up and this was before the days of smart phones being common. We were given completely incorrect directions to get to the store and ended up in another town (it was suburban the whole way, I’m not THAT stupid). I finally got correct directions from a random passer-by there, and drove back up to the U-Haul store. They refused to accept the truck, saying they didn’t have room in their lot. I tossed the keys on the desk and left.

I got a bill a few weeks later for the overages on the miles – despite all the extra driving (totaling about 100 miles past what I’d estimated) I’d only gone 20 miles over, but they wanted to charge me $100 for it. I got a rep on the phone and managed to get the charge reversed.

Fast-forward to eight years later, I decided to rent a trailer to take some stuff back to Oklahoma. We were expecting a blizzard here and I wanted to head out right after the blizzard, so as soon as I heard the incoming weather I called the U-Haul store and offered to pick the trailer up early so they wouldn’t have to dig it out. The store manager said he’d be happy to dig out the trailer after the blizzard. The day after the blizzard, we’re ready to leave, the manager’s not in the store, and the assistant manager told me I was crazy to think they’d dig it out. I called their regional office and was told that the downtown Denver location (40 minutes away with good road conditions) would dig out a trailer for me and have it ready when we got there. I got there, and they had…a truck. I didn’t want a &*^%ing truck, how the &*$# was I going to get back from Oklahoma? That’s when I learned that a Grand Cherokee can pull a U-Haul trailer through four feet of snow, as that was the only way to get the trailer out of their parking lot.

I really hope all the [redacted]s in the letter are variations on #$%^face.

22. Hi_Hello says:

some stuff sound weird…
    either way, I never like u-haul…I tried to do business with them a few times for different reasons… never like it so I didn’t go with them. Penske. Love them.

23. sybann says:

Most criminally awful company – there are dozens of “hate” blogs re: UHaul. Go Penske. They rock.

Am disc jockey and have moved more than 35 times.

Last UHaul had no spedometer, lousy brakes and had to drive 60 miles roundtrip to pick it and car trailer up while paid movers waited (and the place I booked was across the street).

Was charged extra at the end because they had to give me a larger car trailer than I’d asked for because the cheaper one was not available and the ass who attached my car forgot to release my brakes – and you guessed it, needed a brake job at my destination. Disgusting asshats.

24. Wysguy says:

I rented from Uhaul… once… and had a good experience. I tried to make a reservation, in-store, was told it wasn’t possible because there wasn’t enough time for them to get the truck I needed at that location, but they told me to call their 800 number, ask for a specific truck, ask for it to be ready at my choice of location at least 24 hours in advance, and it would be there (it was!). I also specified the place of return in the town I was moving my stuff to (not close to the pickup point). No problem.
    I didn’t have the truck unloaded until late at night, and couldn’t locate the drop off place to save my life, so I took it to another location (actually the first store I went to). Parked the truck and left the keys and rental agreement in their drop box.
    Went back to the store the next business day to make sure everything was OK (it was), I actually went over my contracted miles by under 5, but the guy at the counter told me because I actually parked the truck in a designated return spot (not in the center of the lot like most people must do), he wasn’t going to charge me any extra. I’d go there again.

• milkcake says:

I had a good experience too. I picked up my truck, it was miles/charge so no big deal over there. I just drove around and dropped the truck like 1AM at night because it took so long to move everything. Dropped the key. This was in NY as well, but one in Queens next to BQE. No extra charge for using extra time. I thought it was a bargain.

25. AustinTXProgrammer says:

My only bad experience was my own fault, but U-Haul missed an opportunity to go above and beyond. I locked my phone in the truck when using the drop box and they had no way to do anything to help me.

26. Spider Mann says:

Rent from Budget, not U-Haul.

U-Haul – “We keep our trucks until they break…and then a bit longer.”

Budget – “We keep our trucks until they hit 100,000 miles, then sell them. We replace them with new trucks.”

U-Haul – “See? It says A/C on the side. We don’t guarantee it will work, just that you get a truck with A/C.”

Budget – “The A/C doesn’t work? Here, let’s swap out trucks. Oh, you already packed it? No worries, we’ll move it all for you with no extra charge.”

U-Haul – “Anyone can become a franchisee. ANYONE.”

Budget – “Anyone can apply to become a franchisee, but we have final decision on who becomes one. If they fall below standards, they lose their franchise.”

• Marshmelly says:

U-Haul: “In order to drive this truck we need your fingerprints, passport, high school transcripts, mother’s maiden name, first born child, your soul, and an additional 7 forms of identification. We also need to call your house to make sure that at least 3 people who live there that can verify your identity.”

Budget: “driver’s license, please?”

27. Speak says:

I have only rented a U-Haul once and had issues, but nothing that would keep me from renting from them again. The first issue was that I made my reservations online and they changed the pickup and drop-off place the day I was going to pick it up. Luckily I checked my email before leaving to pickup the truck & trailer or I would have gone to the wrong place.
    The second issue was partly my fault… They parked the truck & trailer against the curb in their lot so when I drove off I scraped the side of the trailer wheel on the curb. This broke the valve stem but I didn’t know that until I got to the apartment and found I had a flat tire. My girlfriend was able to get it repaired for only a few bucks at a local tire shop while we were loading the U-Haul.

28. Segador says:

I will never rent from U-haul again. I had a similar situation, where a $20 reservation became $300 with a “late drop off” fee, even though I handed my keys to the manager over two hours before my drop-off time.

Chargeback FTW, and I used Penske next time. Much smoother.

29. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Gosh, I had my whole place moved by someone else for that.

30. mythago says:

Chargeback and small claims court if it doesn’t work.

We had a similar idiotic dispute with U-Haul and they offered us VOUCHERS. As if I would ever do business with them again.

31. sopmodm14 says:

is that the U Haul under new utrecht ave (under the subway) ?

32. freeformed says:

U-Haul is the devil in corporate clothes. Don’t look directly in its eyes and back away slowly.

I will never set foot in a Uhaul office again, after stranding me in the desert for 12hrs with a broken trailer. Thank god for USAA road side assistance.

33. quail says:

I hate U-Haul with a deep unbinding passion. It’s a patchwork of mom & pop shops with a few corporate locations thrown into the mix. Their contracts are printed out onto yards of receipt paper and crammed into folders. Gas is a hit or mix thing for their vehicles. They are the Greyhound Bus Station of the truck rental world. …//rant continues//..

There are great alternatives to U-Haul if you live in a large enough community. If you don’t, then I’d consider buying beers for college kids with pick-up trucks over using U-Haul.

34. JonBoy470 says:

So basically, U-Haul is half the price of Budget, Penske, Hertz, etc. for a reason…

The only thing they have going for them in my book is that they’ll rent you a trailer behind your own vehicle, whereas Penske, Budget etc. will only hitch their trailer up to their own trucks.

35. Hopman says:

Okay guys, I’m going to be the minority here.

I’ve had good luck with my local U-Haul location in Concord, NH.

I work with a community theater group and rent a truck 6 times (3 shows & twice for each show, loading in and out) a year from them. There’s NEVER been an issue. I had an 8 AM pick up time in the middle of winter. I walked in and they already had my truck ready and getting warmed up (on a -10 morning it was very nice!)

36. Dreyus says:

I can almost guarantee that she’s already received a full refund, plus a gift certificate for an additional amount good towards a future rental. This kind of service is not indicative of U-Haul based on everything that I’ve heard and read about them. I’ve been using U-Haul for years in varying locations, and the customer service has usually been superior than anywhere else.

37. Sinful Josh says:

I bet you part of the costs she was charged was for mileage. I don’t know any place that offers the 20$ without additional costs for mileage. Depending on how much she traveled there is a good chance that this was the actual costs.

My local uhaul sites state that in town 20$ does not include any mileage on the vehicle and that was rated like $.37/mile.

38. Bog says:

Meh… they probably sold you an insurance package too, and in many cases the credit card company will offer free comprehensive coverage of vehicles you rent. If so, just push the truck off a cliff and say “oops!” when you stop by the rental office.

39. ingramje says:

Same thing happened with me at a U-Haul in Dallas Fort Worth. Haven’t used them since. I have used Budget since then and was pleased with the experience. U-Haul is known by everyone as the “moving standard”, but a little checking should let everyone know to avoid at all costs.

40. kylere1 says:

The only reason UHaul does not do well in the worst companies in America pool is that it impacts less people than companies like Verizon.

They are NEVER a good experience.

41. PupJet says:

Seriously…

1> She USED the truck … no $80 refund.
    2> She AGREED to take it to another location…. no gas/transportation refund

Now, that leaves her with a $143.78 refund, which she should be entitled to as per their mistake and the troubles she went through.

People just want something for nothing now and days.

42. trixare4kids says:

THIS! This exact same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Two full weeks after dropping off a U-Haul truck that I’d had for 6 hours max, a mysterious $480 charge appeared on my credit card. After dealing with horrible customer service for hours, I finally came to find out they were trying to charge for me for a large dent in the truck. Yeah… No. Try that on some other sucker.

I had taken before & after photos of the truck, all the way around the truck. I was golden.

Did a charge back on my card first thing. Then I sent my pictures to U-Haul and never heard back from them. I suppose they just passed on the bogus charge to the next customer who used the truck.

I take pictures now when I rent any car or truck – it’s just so easy to snap a few photos for proof – even cell phone camera pictures will do the trick.

43. roscoe says:

Let me tell you my experience with U-Fix b4 U-Haul. I picked up a trailer to tow behind my Chev pickup and took it to be loaded up. While in the process of loading I found, by grabbing the top of each tire and pushing then pulling that the bearings were out of adjustment. Whoever serviced it left the bearings way loose. I had a schedule to keep and unloading and returning it was out of the question when it could be corrected in 20 minutes. Had I not personally re-tightened the bearings to the correct tension I no doubt would have had a trailer squirming all over the road behind me. In my experience I’ve seen plenty of U-hauls on the side of the road but never one of the other rentals. Their fleet is old, not properly maintained and they don’t seem to have what it takes to be a good company.