New York Requires Landlords To Tell Tenants Of Bedbug History

Since New York is being eaten alive by bedbugs, the state government has stepped in to make landlords disclose a one-year history of bedbug infestations at properties to prospective tenants.

“New York City tenants have been living in fear of bedbugs, and I am excited to offer them this new protection,” Assemblymember Linda B. Rosenthal said in a press release. “Nothing is more horrifying than signing a lease after a lengthy apartment search only to discover that your new apartment is bedbug-infested. By requiring landlords to disclose infestations before the lease is signed, people will have a means of guarding themselves against exposure to this plague.”

On a related note, Get Rid of Things tells you how to do away with bed bugs without using legislation.

New York Gets “Landlord Bedbug Disclosure” Law [The Awl]

Previously: Bedbugs Use People As Popcorn At NYC Theater

Comments

1. TheRealDeal says:

It’s easy to get rid of bedbugs. Fire. It may be expensive, but it’s the only way to do it with 100% confidence outside of nuking it from orbit.

2. Nighthawke says:

So do they really think that those slimeball slum lords are actually start cooperating with the state and city now? Fat chance says I.

3. hotdogsunrise says:

No bed bug problem upstate. Just a good ol’ State Fair that everyone should attend. Best milk ever.

• womynist says:

Oh, how I miss the Great NY State Fair. Head to the Dairy building for the best chocolate milk in the world, then to the Center of Progress building to browse the latest & greatest products. I remember my parents buying a ShamWow there over 20 years ago, although at the time it was not called ShamWow. And the package boasted that it was made in West Germany.

/memories

• hotdogsunrise says:

It’s everything you remember. No seriously, it is. Things really haven’t changed. But that’s what I love it so. :-)

• Melsky says:

I’m a property manager in Syracuse, and bedbugs are starting to be a problem here.

4. SkokieGuy says:

How silly and reactionary. Bedbug report? If the state wants to give potential tenants useful info, why not:

Roach & insect infestation report
    Mouse & rate infestation report
    Utility outage report (any loss of gas / electric / etc.)
    Physical plant performance report (elevator malfunction, laundry room flooded)
    Tenant safety report (any crimes in building / area? Any registered sex offenders)
    Creepiness report (murder of prior tenant in the apartment you are thinking of renting)

Seriously, there’s a lot more info beyond bedbugs that a tenant might want to know.

• caradrake says:

I agree with this. Bedbugs terrify me. I’ve never had them and never want them. BUT, I’d love to know about other things – like roach infestations which I HAVE been affected by. And rats, I’ve ran into them before. Quite a surprise!

I am guessing that they’ve chosen bedbugs because of how hard it is to exterminate. But still, if you’re going to require disclosure, require it for everything.

5. evfaithful says:

This is a great idea. Landlords should also be required to disclose roach infestations. I would have never moved into my last apartment had I known. I spent so much money baiting those suckers with poison safe for my dog because the landlord wouldn’t pay to get the building sprayed. Gross.

6. Harry_Greek says:

How about punishing the terrible hipsters who are responsible for spreading bed bugs?

The hipster filth are the ones who pick up all the awful street furniture because it’s “cool” – not because they can’t afford new fresh furniture.

Once they wake up from their pot / blue ribbon / drug endused slumber to discover they are covered with bites, they call up Mr. Starvropoulos (the super) and are all like; “Yeah, man. Listen, there are like,… bugs and stuff in my apartment. Can you like, kill them and stuff?? And, can you like do it within 20 minutes? I’ve got this girl coming over and she like hates bugs.”

When the super DOES go to inspect, he can’t get in, because the hipster doufus is blasting the latest horrible music they think is “the tits” to hear the knocking on the door. So, the smelly hipster then goes to follow up with the super at 2am.

When told the super will get back to the hipster, the hipster then asks when and if he could do “it” now.

The following day, the hipster is evicted because he owes 6 months worth of back rent. Again, he isn’t paying because he can’t afford it (daddy has lots of money). He is doing it to say he was ousted by the landlord and can then place another ‘notch’ on his belt for being “in it”.

• colorisnteverything says:

I think a lot of people get bad information or just don’t KNOW about these devils. So many generations of young people picked up used furniture. However, now it is a bad idea. When I moved into my first place this summer, people told me to get used furniture. They were trying to be helpful, but I got all new stuff. Not gonna take the chance, sorry.

7. dg says:

This won’t do a damn thing. Shady landlords will just lie. “Bedbugs? No we don’t got no bed bugs. Don’t know what those bites are… spider maybe? No bedbug…”