White Castle Testing Waters With New BBQ Menu

Steamed meat purveyor White Castle has dipped its toe into the BBQ world in the past with its “pulled pork sliders.” But now a Castle outpost in Indiana has gone whole hog and become the first of the chain’s eateries to debut its “Blaze Modern BBQ” menu.

“This is a historic day, a new chapter,” a White Castle VP declared at the recent re-opening of the renovated restaurant in Lafayette, IN. “Our customers still love our hamburgers, they just need a little barbecue now and then.”

In addition to the chain’s famous mini burgers, customers have entree options that include chicken, turkey, pork, sausage and beef, each of which can be drowned in your choice of five sauces. Sides include mashed potatoes, coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, baked beans and corn bread.

While the standard White Castle menu remains available 24/7 for Lafayette eaters, the BBQ menu will only be served between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m.

If there are any Consumerist readers in the Lafayette area, your mission — should you choose to accept it — is to sample these White Castle wares, take photos and report back to the tipline.

No word yet from Harold and/or Kumar on this latest development.

White Castle picks Lafayette to debut barbecue concept [JConline.com]

Comments

1. Alvis says:

The pulled pork sliders are -not- very good, and this is from a guy who actually LIKES standard White Castle fare.

/in before poop jokes

2. Moosehawk says:

It doesn’t matter what else White Castle does, I will still continue eating just eating the plain old sliders.

3. smo0 says:

The toilet will now have a variety of snacks.

I make myself puke a little….

4. danmac says:

At which point he jumped from the building’s roof, activating his jet pack. “I have a dream!” he yelled, his voice trailing off into the distance. “Ask not what White Castle can do for you…” And then he was gone, his silhouette a tiny prick flying toward the sun.

5. Scuba Steve says:

So are they going to be using Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire for this product as well? Seems like a good matchup.

• Angus99 says:

I’m thinking that’s more appropriate for the bathroom, later. I am reminded of the old Saturday Night Live sketch “Colon Blow”.

6. Dutchess says:

GAG….the only thing worse than the flavor of a White Castle slider is the smell they leave on ANYTHING that comes withing a 100 foot radius of them.

I tried WC when I moved to Chicago and threw them out after a couple bites and swore them off. When a friend from CA came out he insisted on trying WC despite my protestations. I had two rules, I refused to go into the restaurant and they weren’t allowed in my car. He agreed, took a step in the door and walked back out. He said he couldn’t eat anything that smelled that bad.

• tbax929 says:

I’m with you. I was so excited to try White Castle – probably ever since hearing the Beastie Boys give them a shout out in the 80s, but I was severely disappointed in their food.

• smo0 says:

White castle is like… native food…. I can’t imagine you’d venture to the Congo in Africa and eat what they might eat throughout the day…. White Castle is like… raw zebra meat.. or something… you eat it from birth and you develop resistances to it’s poisons…. it takes a lifetime of training…..

• brewstah says:

hahahha. So true. You have to be raised on white castle to not suffer what other people suffer from eating white castle. Those poor people.

7. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Seems like some kind of sacrilege to me…I loves me some BBQ, but to mess with the White Castle menu like that? Blasphemy.

There are few things in this world better than a stack of White Castle cheeseburgers.

• Dutchess says:

Like being stuck with a dirty syringe, wading in a pool of razor blades, a poke in the eye with a stick.

All these things sound better than a stack of white castles.

8. stint7 says:

I love me some White Castle but i’m not a huge pork barbeque fan unless it’s done by someone who knows what they are doing. A second note, steamed meat purveyor was the nickname of a girl I went to high school with.

9. Trae says:

I just moved to Lafayette… I may have to investigate.

10. aliasmisskat says:

I’ll be there Friday. I drive by that White Castle now Blaze at least twice a week. I’ll try to choke down my hatred of sliders and report back.

11. fairandbalanced says:

IU can’t get barbecue at their White Castle, HA, HA!