Fried Beer… The Name Says It All

As we’ve already seen with this summer’s Meat Man Parfait, state fairs are a hotbed of culinary experimentation. The latest headline maker comes from the Texas State Fair, where one man plans to unleash the craziness that is Fried Beer upon the world.

It’s really quite simple. Ravioli-ish pockets of dough are filled with Guiness and then deep fried. Judging by the below video, the beer just spills out onto the plate after the first bite.

The creator of Fried Beer is also considering using Shiner Bock or Sierra Nevada in place of Guiness. There is also the Deep Fried Frozen Margarita and — for those under 21 — non-alcoholic Fried Lemonade.

Fried Beer: The ultimate fair food? [Jacksonville.com]

Comments

1. idx says:

Oh. My. God.

2. pop top says:

I’ll stick with my deep fried cookie dough, thank you very much.

3. Etoiles says:

I think beer-battering is probably a better way to get fried beer than this is.

Mmmmm…. beer-battered onion rings…

• zandar says:

beer battered JUST ABOUT ANYTHING… drool

• The Marionette says:

Yeah beer batter is better. I’ve had some beer-batted ribs one summer with diff kinds of bbq sauce that had beer and some had what i believe was wine too. Had those with some steak fries and beer and the big screen with the football game on and a bunch of buddies, one of the best times =)

• Owl Says South says:

how about… Beer Battered… Beer.

4. dolemite says:

isn’t beer supposed to be cold?

• sonneillon says:

Depends. Some groups think it should be served at room temp. I am not one of them, but in Europe room temp beer is more common.

• pop top says:

It depends on the type of beer. Some beers taste better ice cold, some taste better slightly cold, some taste better slightly room temp., etc.

• longdvsn says:

Basically, price has an inverse relationship with how cold a beer needs to be. The cheap crap needs to be ice cold so that you don’t taste as much of the crap. Good beer can be served at a slightly lower temperature to enjoy many of the subtle flavors.

5. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Why not just infuse chocolate or something else with beer and then deep fry that? It would seem more edible than scalding hot beer.

• Fidget says:

Or try doing it the way that one guy does fried coke, so it’s more like a beer-infused doughnut hole with beer syrup. This just sounds…vile. Then again, Guinness tastes like skim milk to me.

6. Robofish says:

This is a good way to ruin a perfectly good Guinness. MY GOODNESS…..

7. Jfielder says:

That sounds horribly foul. And I love beer.

8. Muddie says:

What a waste of good beer.

9. lehrdude says:

Talk about alcohol abuse!

10. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

“The creator of Fried Beer is also considering using Shiner Bock or Sierra Nevada in place of Guiness.”

See, now, that would be a mistake.

• DigTheFunk says:

Guinness, or any other dark beer, seems like it would work(although, I don’t imagine I’d like it much)….Sierra Nevada(basically, any lighter beer, ESPECIALLY an IPA) seems like the bitterness would be too much for something like this, whereas the sweetness of Guinness sounds like a great fit. Personally, if I were to try this, I’d like to see a Newcastle version. But, generally, State Fair fried foods are a bit over-the-top for me…I heard someone mention “fried butter”….what the Capital F?

11. Chaosium says:

Coming from a man who would eat a few fried butter-cream cheese balls or the meat sundae, this is effing stupid.

12. DariusC says:

This is getting nasty… Fried butter? Okay… Fried etc? Fine. Fried beer? GROSS!

13. JulesNoctambule says:

I’ve figured out a (surprisingly tasty, considering) recipe for deep-fried sweet tea which I’m debating entering into this year’s state fair.

• Djwei says:

Do it before someone else does and gets rich off of it!

• JulesNoctambule says:

I’m actually looking into some kind of legal protection thingy to put in place just in case! While I know a food item in general isn’t considered unique, the method or recipe can be.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

My Southern boyfriend would LOVE that. He will eat anything deep-fried and drinks prodigious amounts of sweet tea.

• Nodders says:

A few years ago I investigated this, to enter a food in the Texas State Fair, you have to be a licensed food distributor.

14. TasteyCat says:

What is this 14 second commercial for a 31 second video?

How do you actually eat this stuff if it all ends up on the plate? And why?

15. ConsumerPop says:

Just seems like the liquid inside wold get scaldingly hot…Gonna be a lawsuit soon…

16. humphrmi says:

Unless the ravioli pockets somehow protect it, I would think that all the alcohol would burn off in the frying process. So you’d end up with – wretch – non-alcoholic hop water inside.

17. diasdiem says:

Now wrap it in bacon and dip it in gravy.

18. DH405 says:

I would recommend Spaten Optimator for these instead of Guinness.

19. Bativac says:

This looks like “soggy ravioli full of hot beer.” Do not want.

Despite the different beers of the world and different ways of drinking them, I have never heard of one being served “piping hot.”

20. zandar says:

next, let’s deep fry a half-caf soy vente caramel macchiato!

21. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Errr… ya. Personally, I’ll stick to consuming beer the old fashioned way: in a icy-cold mug, or in a bottle, again icy cold.

22. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Yeah. Fine. Good. I’m sure this has all the great taste of drinking someone’s piss.

23. lunarmagpie says:

I’ve seen fried Coca Cola concessions at a couple of fairs (at the same places as the fried Twinkies and fried Snickers bars), so I imagine anything is fair game for the deep fryer… blecch.

24. jimmyhl says:

Veteran beer drinker here. Long time food eater too. Open minded guy, always up for something new. And…this sounds heinous. Or maybe just dumm.

25. pixiestix says:

Of course this is a product of Texas. I’m not even a fan of Guiness and I’m pissed by what the asshat has done to beer. Beer does not belong in a ravoli swimming in a vat of oil only to flow out onto my plate after the first bite or burn my taste buds up. Mr. Inventor of Fried Beer, this Bud isn’t for you.

• Dallas_shopper says:

What’s this “of course” shit? They’re running out of things to fry at the Texas State Fair; hell they’ve already fried nearly everything known to man. This year’s food offerings also include fried salad if that gives you any idea of how near the bottom of the barrel they are.

Speaking as a native Texan, most of us know how to operate a beer properly. ;-)

26. IceCat says:

This is the sort of stuff that you want to used mass produced crappy beer like like Bud Lite, or Miller Lite, or Coors light, or.. Oh you get the idea

27. summeroflove says:

Why not make them healthier and steam them like soup dumplings? Also, hot beer, eeeuw.

28. mechteach1 says:

If he is committed to using ravioli as the delivery agent, I would think that stuffing them with beer-infused cheese (such as what is served with pretzels in some German restaurants) would be both tastier and a more effective beer transfer device.

29. Battlehork says:

A one that isn’t cold is hardly one at all.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

I know several million Europeans that would disagree with you. Just like wine, not every beer is meant to be served at 34 degrees F.

30. banmojo says:

I’ll stick with my Stella, thanks much!