Target Tests Game, Movie Trading Waters

Target wants in on GameStop’s trade-in scene. Locations in northern California started a pilot video game and movie trade-in program Wednesday, with plans to spread the program to 850 stores by year’s end, Gamasutra reports.

Trades will be handled at counters next to video game sections, giving you your credit for your piles of old Madden games on the spot.

Best Buy and Walmart have launched similar programs recently, after both companies ditched a kiosk trade-in effort earlier this year.

Target Launches Used Video Game Trade-in Service [Gamasutra via Joystiq]

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

We don’t buy enough games for it to really make a dent, but when we do have a game to trade in it would be a lot more convenient than going to GameStop since we can only go to GameStop for one thing, whereas at least at Target I can buy other things we need without an additional trip.

2. DariusC says:

“Do you think Target’s play to give you pennies on the dollar for your discs will work out?”

What do you think pennies on the dollar means? That could be anything from 2 pennies to 99 pennies! Pennies on the dollar simply means at least 1 penny less than what you paid. Pfft.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Your point?

It’s a way of saying paying you less than you originally paid for it, which is pretty standard on video games. Your entire comment seems to come down to “Pfft.”

• DariusC says:

I know, I know… Just wanted to say that it is overused. Perhaps saying that you sold it for far less than what you paid is more specific! :D

• damageinc says:

Thank you mister literal but normal people use the term when something is bought or sold for much less than it originally cost. If I pay 99 cents for an item that costs $1, I wouldn’t be telling people I got it for pennies on the dollar…

3. damageinc says:

Out of all the main places to trade games right now, like Gamestop, Amazon, Best Buy, and Toys R Us, Amazon has always had the best trade in values, sometimes even higher than what the game sells for if you find a good deal. I got Madden 11 for $40 on release day but thought it sucked, and was able to trade it to Amazon two weeks later for the same price. All the other places were offering $25 or less. I have a feeling the Target prices are just going to be the same as the other retail stores. Anything is better than Gamestop though.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Have you ever bought used through Amazon? We buy used games but GameStop has been faltering lately when it comes to decent discs that are unscratched and entirely playable as if they were new.

• damageinc says:

Amazon doesn’t sell used games (third party sellers in the market place do though). I’m guessing the games Amazon gets from trading in just get sold off to some other distribution company.

• pop top says:

We buy used games on Amazon all the time and have never had a problem. Trading in game is easy too. I love Amazon.

• Battlehork says:

They’re generally in excellent condition.I like the fact that they list the condition, so you can choose whether to pay a relatively low price for any old copy or a few more bucks for one that’s near mint.

• coren says:

Amazon will protect the hell out of it’s customers (overprotect, even – they once gave back money they shouldn’t have (due to their policy not because of a scammer) and had to eat the cost eventually) – so their marketplace is worth investigating. A little pricier than ebay but you get what you pay for.

4. eccsame says:

For as long as it lasts.
    I can imagine a day in the not to distant future where games are locked to one or two systems. You buy a game, enter a code, and then the game can only be played on no more than two or three systems. Either that, or they just get rid of physical discs all together – cutting out the used game market entirely.

• damageinc says:

EA’s already starting to go down that path with their new Online Pass for playing games online. One time use code in the manual otherwise its $10 to get one.

• Griking says:

I agree. Consoles have been becoming more and more like computers in terms of power and storage over the past years. Its only a matter of time before companies tie the games to the original consoles like they do on PCs.

5. vastrightwing says:

Late to the game much Target? Consider that game companies are making DRM so that used games have zero resale value. And movies on shiny discs are fading away. This is a brilliant move: going into a market that’s near the end of its lifespan.

Next, Target experimenting with used black vinyl discs with tiny grooves.

6. Toffeemama is looking for a few good Otters says:

Don’t know how well the used game market is going to be doing in the next few years, but I’d probably do trade-ins with them. As long as they can give me a better deal than GameStop. I’ve traded in a lot of games on Goozex.com, which gives a much better “true” value for the games. I would rather go to Target than put stuff in the mail though, so that adds a little value for me.

7. ClutchDude says:

According to the guys at PennyArcade(http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/8/25/), Target is assisting a horrible market that robs developers of their hard earned money via the dreaded second hand sell.

• PunditGuy says:

I thought that was a very thoughtful and well-reasoned post. It’s definitely a perspective I didn’t have.

I don’t tend to buy used games — but I don’t buy every game the second it comes out, either. I was late to Arkham Asylum and picked it up from Games for Windows for $15. I bought The Saboteur yesterday from Amazon — new, mind you — for $7.51. Between deals like that and Steam sales, you can support the publishers and still game on the cheap.

• pop top says:

Thanks for posting that, it was a great read.

I agree with what one of the first few people posted, which is that sometimes it comes down to you either buy the game used or you don’t buy it at all because games are so freaking expensive. I don’t like paying $60 to get 8-10 hours of gameplay (I’m looking at you Halo 2, 3 and ODST campaign), so I’m going to buy used if I know I’m not going to get much out of the experience. If the game companies would price their wares realistically, I would support them more by buying new more.

• GrimJack says:

This is one of the reasons you’ll see developers move more and more towards digital distribution. Those that want the latest game ‘right now’ will purchase it at full price. Those that don’t mind waiting (traditionally, the same consumers that purchase ‘used’ titles) will see the price go down over time on platforms like Steam. I just bought a bundle of Ubisoft games last night on Steam – 9 titles for $49.99 (3 Brothers in Arms games, 3 Silent Hunter Sims, and 3 WWII flight sims). None state-of-the-art, but all solid offerings that fit my budget and retailed for probably $400+ when new.

8. Scuba Steve says:

Gamestop still charges more than I’d like for used games, so I wonder if these other stores will offer cheaper prices or better selection than going to gamestop.

Blockbuster used to sell used games as well, but they didn’t do very well at it because they never had any good games to begin with (people would rent and “lose” them quite often). If the selection sucks, or the price sucks, or the condition of the games is suspect, then gamers will take their dollars back to gamestop.

9. Buckus says:

Let’s see…I can buy the game used for $38.00, or new for $40.00. Where, exactly, is the incentive to buy used? Notwithstanding that whoever is selling it used probably bought it from some kid for $10?

10. Outrun1986 says:

Its better than gamestop because with GS credit you can only buy more games, but at Target you can buy anything, so those desperate gamers needing groceries can go pitch a few of their old games and load up on food. Though privately selling your old games is still the best way to go for the most bucks.

11. Destron says:

Pfft I only sell my games on ebay, I can get near retail from them that way. The only games I care to buy new are the games that I know deserve the support.

12. Ben_Q2 says:

Let me guess no PC games?