$350 And An Internet Connection Will Get You NFL Sunday Ticket Without Subscribing To DirecTV

If you’re a football fan who has been pining for NFL Sunday Ticket but can’t because you’re unable or unwilling to switch to DirecTV, you might be in luck — if you’re able to part with $350. The satellite provider confirms to Consumerist that it will be making an online-only version of Sunday Ticket available to anyone with an internet connection.

The yet-unnamed service will be launching the week before the first game of the season. Just like the Sunday Ticket package sold to DirecTV subscribers, the online-only version will provide subscribers with access to all NFL games aired during the day each Sunday.

However, especially for the price, the video quality may leave some customers wanting for better. DirecTV says the stream will go out in full 720p HD, “but most viewers won’t be able to experience the service at that resolution.” Ultimately it will all depend on the quality of their internet connection.

As for the $350 price tag, it is higher than the around $300 that DirecTV subscribers pay for Sunday Ticket. But for some people who are locked into contracts with their cable providers or who just don’t feel like slapping a dish on their roof (or pointing it out the window), this might be worth a look.

Comments

1. MaliBoo Radley says:

Huh … I might have to do this.

• partofme says:

Agreed. If Comcast ever decides to kill my promotion rate and jack up the price, this will be a major negotiation piece… maybe even the reason why I walk away.

2. qwickone says:

What are the chances that this gets effed up like the baseball thing? Pretty high, I think.

• user765 says:

MLB.tv? I’ve been using it problem free all season. Was there a problem in past years?

• koalabare says:

It’s still a problem for many. Stutters, incorrect blackouts, and just not working sometimes. There are lots of people with these problems.

• tbax929 says:

I use At Bat on my Android, and it cuts in and out every once in a while. I’ve never had a lot of success with the internet one.

3. GMFish says:

Mmm…. the price is high and the quality is unknown (but probably crap), but I’m interested. Maybe next year after they get the bugs out of it.

• Nogard13 says:

This is actually the third year that DTV is broadcasting it over the intertubes, it’s just the first year that you can get it if you’re not a DTV customer. It used to be called Superfan and it was a $100 ad-on to the NFL Sunday Ticket package. I’ve used it the past two years because my old neighbor gave me his username/password so I could watch it on weeks when he wasn’t on the road (he paid for it in case he traveled for work so he wouldn’t miss his Cowboys games).

The quality was mediocre if I watched it full screen on my 20″ monitor, but wasn’t that bad if I left it in the small pop-up window. There was a bit of pixelation but it also wasn’t transmitted in 720P, either. The good thing was that it didn’t cut in and out and it was very reliable with my Internet connection (Verizon DSL 3Mbps down).

I switched to DTV this year and the Superfan is actually included in the normal price so I’ll check it out when the season starts and see what improvements they have made.

4. Darrone says:

350 seems insane and i’m a die-hard fan. It’s $20 PER DAY of programming, assuming u watched the entire day. For that price you could go to 3 or 4 games, depending on your team. (or buy a franchise if you live in Cleveland!)

• Tim in Wyoming says:

Hey leave my home town out of this… at least its not Detroit

• coffeeculture says:

I dunno… two tickets + parking + concessions + gas = I think I’d rather just watch this at home. I’d actually consider this deal since I’m away from my home team and have been watching not-so-legit feeds online (crap quality).

I set-up a slingbox at my buddy’s house in the local market and have been getting better results that way.

• JoeTheDragon says:

Last year they had a I think it was $30-$40 for a day pass to ST.

• partofme says:

It doesn’t seem too insane to me for a couple reasons. Lets say you live out of the market for your favorite team. So, you’re getting 0-4 games that are nationally televised, but none others. Maybe you’re stuck in Florida or KC (they get abysmal TV schedules, unless you’re a fan of one of the local teams). The only reason you’re keeping cable is because you know you’re gonna get a decent matchup every Monday night, even if it’s not your team. This is how desperate you are for football (not that uncommon in America). You could cut cable, get 13-16 games for your team, see other good Sunday games, AND likely come out ahead in cash. Of course, you’d have to sacrifice Monday night games… but it seems a whole lot less insane all of a sudden. I know I could definitely save $500/year if I dropped the cable package with ESPN down to basic cable (still getting Sunday night games). I’d be up $150 and a whole lot of Packers games if I did the swap.

5. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I wonder if it will be subject to local blackouts like MLB.TV

• JMILLER says:

Yes, blackouts are an NFL rule. DirectV is under contract to not allow games that are not sold out to be shown.
      The MLB blackouts are usually reserved for exclusive carrying of programming in a local market (Fox sports owns all rights to local broadcast, MLB owns it for outside the local market).
      If you are unhappy with blackouts, talk to the NFL. I can assure you, they will not listen

• sth9669 says:

Well, the blackout rule only applies to your home team area. I’m a seahawks fan in Maryland, so if for some reason the game is blacked out in Seattle, they’ll still show it to me on Directv because I wouldn’t be able to go buy tickets for it anyway. And if you’re a fan of the local team, then there’s not much point in buying this because all your team’s games are on no matter what in your area (unless there’s a blackout, but again, if you live in that team’s area, it’d be blacked out on Sunday Ticekt too), unless you’re one of those guys who watches like 7 NFL games each weekend (like I used to be before my brother and I got married, now we just get the one game. . .)

6. lawnmowerdeth says:

Wow, talk about greed. $350 for internet streaming of sports – that probably includes commercials.
    DirecTV and the NFL are getting ridiculous.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It’s probably more the NFL side. The NFL surely charges DirecTV which in turn charges customers. Now NFL is offering it direct to customers for roughly the same price. I suspect that price will drop in subsequent years.

• sth9669 says:

Well, you have to realize that the NFL is probably going to have a strike/lock-out next year and the only way they’re surviving is that the owners are receiving Billions (that’s with a ‘b’) of dollars from Directv for this deal. Of course a few congressman are pissed about it because it is a monopoly and many people can’t actually get directv where they live, but who cares about them. . .

I say $10 a game in HD, set up a channel for each game and you order whichever game(s) you want and that’s it. I’d totally go for that, so I could watch my Seahawks get the #$%^ kicked out of them and get drunk in my own home instead of some sports bar full of crazy Redskins fans. . . .

• TheMonkeyKing says:

lol. I was thinking the same thing with the Carolina Panthers. And a drunken-hook-up-pity-sex is just a couch away.

• trock2000 says:

Were you expecting a blank screen during breaks?!

• Chris Morran says:

that’s what mlb.tv does… either a “commercial break in progress” screen or a really aggravating ad for Yahoo sports and then the holding screen.

7. JRules says:

You can watch the sunday night games online for free.

8. He says:

That would be great if my team didn’t play any Monday night games. $10 per game I actually watch sounds reasonable to me.

9. jmujeff says:

My initial reaction is that I’ll watch my beloved ‘Skins at the sports bar down the street here in Wisconsin to save money, but then I would wind up racking up a gigantic food and bar tab every week…so this might actually be a more economical option.

10. sth9669 says:

how have they not switched to a la carte NFL pay per view as an option yet?! I understand they want to make $350 on each person who signs up, but most people who get NFL Sunday Ticket only want to watch the games for one or two out of town teams. How many more people would sign up to pay $10 to watch an NFL game in HD in their house? I follow the Seattle teams but I live in Maryland, so it’d be great to pay for the Seahawks games that I’m available to watch directly, and then maybe another $10 here or there if there was a particularly good game I wanted to watch that wasn’t available where I live. They would make so much more money off this, and they could still offer the $300 NFL sunday ticket to the Super Fans, and regular guys like me could buy just the games we want. . . . a la carte FTW!

• v0rt says:

Agreed. I live out of town and consequently seldom see my team. My folks got sunday ticket because they appreciate all football games, but i can’t justify $350 for the convenience of seeing one game a week (+ bye) at home.

• Matzoball says:

Except gamblers…but you are probably an upstanding citizen. I’ll crawl back in my hole now.

• partofme says:

If you’re willing to wait a day to watch it (which most people aren’t… because it’s often seriously hard to get through a day without someone mentioning the score), NFL Rewind is available for $40 for the whole year… they used to have a team-based package for cheaper, but I don’t know if it’s coming back.

11. leftturnonred says:

I’ve wanted an option like this both because I’m not a fan of the home team and because the home team is unwatchable. I could find the games online to watch via other methods, but such methods always scare me a little bit, so I never do. $350 is a lot, but considering that I usually end up burning through a 50 dollar bar tab to watch my team on Monday night games, it seems not that bad.

If Monday Night games are included (I don’t have cable of any sort) this might be worth it, especially since my wife’s team is also not the home team.

• Chris Morran says:

Monday night games are not included. It’s just Sunday afternoon (1pm and 4pm ET) games. Sunday night, Monday and any other games are not included.

I don’t know if ESPN puts MNF on its ESPN3.com feed, but that’s not available to everyone either.

• leftturnonred says:

Thanks for the info. May still be worth it (I presume that between the wife’s team and my team we’d get at least one game per week out of the deal that we would not normally get). 350 is in that zone of expensive, but not to the point of being ridiculous.

• craptastico says:

NFL Redzone is by far the best thing to watch if you can’t get your own team. it’s only $50/year if you have Verizon FIOS, but i’m not sure of availability with other cable networks. REdzone switches between all of the games to show you whatever is the most interesting at the time and the best part is there’s no commercials, just constant action. i’ve heard it described as like having the Sunday Ticket with God handling the remote.

12. PoorJackBall says:

i have had direct tv since 2006 and love NFL Sunday ticket – i live out of market of my favorite team and near(in NFL terms) to 2 other pro teams that i usually get stuck with. Since i am out of market of the weekly game i truly want, my team is never blacked out in my home (YES you can be blacked from the local game even with Sunday Ticket). Plus i can watch the big games that are not the local or nationally picked games.

It IS 350 for Direct TV subscribers if they also want the Sunday Ticket To Go (online version). It is 300 for just Sunday Ticket which is fine since i can HD DVR it and can watch my game when i can. My point is it is 350 for anyone who wants to watch online.

is 300 steep, yeah but 18.75 (based on a 16 game schedule, no byes) is still cheaper than paying for beer and food at the pub for 2 people (me and the missus) which is anywhere from $30 to $45 (including tip). For me having it at home with DVR means i can knock out a few chores around the house and not have to worry about the start time or being occupied on Sunday.

Now if i ever get it together to cut the cord/drop the dish, i am happy to know i can get the online version at home.

But i do wonder how the NFL would enforce the blackout rules with online subscribers?

• JMILLER says:

There are actually 17 weeks in the football season as well. If you have been a member since 2006, if you call this week and tell them you don’t think you can afford it anymore, they will transfer you to retention. I pay roughly half of the $300 figure.

13. Alvis says:

American Football fans know how to use computers?

14. Matzoball says:

I can finally untether myself from Directv!

• donjumpsuit says:

and promptly realize that you are jumping out of the frying pan, and into the fryer. There is no good alternative, your getting it up the a$$ no matter which company you choose.

15. Shawn says:

I am one step away from canceling my cable service completely, and this could be the nail in the coffin. This is great news.

16. deadandy says:

Definitely read the fine print before you sign up for this one. I was almost going to sign up for a similar service for the NHL and I found out that there is a limit to the number of games I could watch, and they only streamed games that were -not- televised.

17. zandar says:

>Ultimately it will all depend on the quality of their internet connection.

This is going to be at a web address, to be viewed on a pc or mac or what have you? I guarantee you, quality will be awful. Mediocre at best. And it will have nothing to do with the connection. Well, something to do with it, but it won’t be pretty even with your isp’s fastest plan.

Give me a Roku HD channel to choose from, or bring it to a playstation 3. Then we could talk, if I cared about football that is.

• pot_roast says:

Yeah, I was really hoping that they were going to come up with a Roku HD channel like MLB did.. that would be pretty cool.

18. DrMonkeyPhD says:

I realize the NFL is significantly more popular than MLB, but this price still seems ridiculously steep. MLB.tv is a third the cost and each team plays ten times as many games. They do have their share of connectivity issues, but the worst I’ve seen are because they change between Flash/Silverlight/whatever every year and end up with new bugs the first few weeks of each season.

A bit cheaper and I might be tempted, depending on the quality of the streams and how they handle blackouts. With MLB.tv, they stream all games, even the weekend Fox and ESPN ones and the playoffs, but just block you from watching them from within the U.S. Give me the equivalent for the NFL for under $200 and I’d seriously consider it.

19. 420greg says:

Red Zone Channel on U-Verse (It is a free channel) FTW!

/had DTV for years but was paying almost $400 ($300 + $100 superfan) and ended up watching the red zone channel all day.

20. dreamsneverend says:

If I had the extra cash I’d be on that in a heart beat!

21. Dyscord says:

350 for a webstream?? Seriously? I know it’s the NFL and I’m a huge football fan, but this is so NOT worth the money. Hell, IMO, the sunday ticket isn’t worth the money.

22. Patriot says:

This is different than what tvpredictions was reporting

“In addition to the $350 fee, customers must prove they are not able to access DIRECTV from their residence. To get DIRECTV, a customer must be able to install a dish with a clear view of the southern skies.”

23. Tex1200 says:

You have to prove you cannot get Direct TV at your address to qualify for this.

24. Skankingmike says:

yay a live stream that your ISP provider will assume you’re stealing content and throttle your connection.

Though I heard that FIOS is pretty cool about extreme bandwidth usage.

In an ideal world. If I want to watch my team play I should have the option to pay that team X amount directly and let them figure out whatever amount they give to the NFL. So say live streaming video that I can watch on any device in my house or person (TV, Mobile, Computer, Console) I should be able to.

Imagine I can watch my Raiders lose each week for a fee they normally wouldn’t get…

Raider Nation baby!

25. Hands says:

That’s only a little less than I pay for a Dolphins season ticket. Then I watch the road games OTA. I’m good, thanks.

26. keepntabs says:

Why wouldn’t you split the cost of the subscription with some friends? If it is like the NBA League Pass Broadband there are no limits to the amount of concurrent connections an account can have. So, if you have 4 friends to spread the cost, it’s only $70 per person.