190 Tons Of Walmart Deli Meat Recalled Over Potential Listeria Contamination

A New York company called Zemco Industries has recalled 380,000 pounds of deli meat that it distributed to Walmart under the Marketside label, because it might be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Although nobody has reported any illness and healthy people aren’t usually in danger, listeriosis can kill old people, infants, and others with weak immune systems.

From the USDA announcement:

The products subject to recall are:

– 25.5-pound cases of “Marketside Grab and Go Sandwiches BLACK FOREST HAM With Natural Juices Coated with Caramel Color” with the number 17800 1300.

– 28.49-pound cases of “Marketside Grab and Go Sandwiches HOT HAM, HARD SALAMI, PEPPERONI, SANDWICH PEPPERS” with the number 17803 1300.

– 32.67-pound cases of “Marketside Grab and Go Sandwiches VIRGINIA BRAND HAM With Natural Juices, MADE IN NEW YORK, FULLY COOKED BACON, SANDWICH PICKLES, SANDWICH PEPPERS” with the number 17804 1300.

– 25.5-pound cases of “Marketside Grab and Go Sandwiches ANGUS ROAST BEEF Coated with Caramel Color” with the number 17805 1300.

The meats were produced on dates ranging from June 18 to July 2, 2010. The “Use By” dates range from August 20 to September 10, 2010.

The CDC says that Listeria monocytogenes is found in soil and water, and although pasteurization and cooking kills it, “in certain ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats, contamination may occur after cooking but before packaging.”

“New York Firm Recalls Deli Meat Products for Possible Listeria Contamination” [USDA via CNN]

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

Perfect reason to buy your lunch meat elsewhere, such as your local deli.

• SabreDC says:

This doesn’t affect lunch meat, only the prepackaged Grab and Go sandwiches.

• mopar_man says:

Like I said, buy it from a deli. Make your own damn sandwich and be ahead of the game by a few dollars each sandwich. What’s it take? 5 minutes to make a good sandwich? 2 for a shitty one with bread and meat on it?

• SabreDC says:

Hey, don’t get bent out of shape towards me. I make my own goddamn sandwiches, geez. I have never purchased a prepackaged sandwich in my life (not counting Subway or Potbelly).

I am simply saying that your implication that Walmart lunch meat is somehow bad is not necessarily correct since they use the same that most local delis use like Land O’ Lakes, Boar’s Head, etc.

• Hoss says:

Oh yes, I remember when there was a local deli. There was a bakery, fish market, hardware store, pharmacist, and florist on the block too. Thanks for bringing back memories

2. benbell says:

Don’t forget to add that pregnant women are more likely to be infected than non-pregnant women. In addition, it can cause serious issues with a pregnancy.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Would microwaving the lunch meat do anything for listeria or does it only work to prevent toxoplasmosis?

• benbell says:

If you reheat the deli meats to ‘steaming hot’ or 160 degrees then that should kill the listeria.

• Blueberry Scone says:

Right on. I found it was just easier to avoid deli meat all together during my pregnancies.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That’s what my wife does but every once in the while she craves very bizarre concoctions of food. If she wants a ham sandwich loaded with a dozen pickles and a side of mint ice cream (vanilla with mint chips not the green kind), it’s my job to figure out how to get it done — even if it means microwaving deli ham at midnight :-)

I find the idea of steaming-hot microwaved deli meat kind of gross but she really seems to like it.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

I make my own pregnancies at home.

Seriously though, one of the things Mrs. Otto was told to avoid during her pregnancy is all deli meat, for this kind of reason.

• wastedlife says:

Mrs. life was also told to avoid deli meat and bacon when she was pregnant because of the high levels of nitrites or nitrates. Not wanting to give up bacon, we did end up finding a brand with low levels of nitrates.

3. blinky says:

What good is a recall of meat that’s seven weeks old? Presumably all that will be eaten has been eaten.

• benbell says:

What? You don’t keep your lunch meat for 7 weeks?

• rpm773 says:

That’s the whole point of the recall. It’s to make people say

“Gee, I can’t recall if I bought that meat or not”

“I can’t recall what the 15-digit barcode was on that bad ham”

“I can’t recall the exact date my kidney failure began, for I went into shock, was rushed to the ED, and woke up 7 weeks later”

• Hoss says:

I wondered why Digger was living in the fridge.

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You don’t hear about Listeria contamination much.

5. zandar says:

mm, ANGUS ROAST BEEF Coated with Caramel Color. And that’s the best part too, probably.

6. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Figures, Wal-Mart. I bought packaged deli meat and cheese there (from the case, not the full service deli) and they were both unfit to eat. I don’t buy any groceries there anymore unless they’re shelf-stable and in factory-sealed containers from a brand I’m familiar with.

7. kjherron says:

I make my own lunchmeat at home. Mmm, homemade pastrami…

8. snarkymarcy says:

Listeria is serious business for pregnant women. Eat all the sushi you like, but it is the deli meat, soft serve ice cream, soft cheeses, etc that need to be avoided.

9. Hoss says:

This is what happens when you bargain for the cheapest product available . If it’s a trash can, no harm — but mass produced commodity foods is a huge national food supply issue.

Listeria? Nice.

10. Dallas_shopper says:

Why do businesses keep trying to kill us all? Are they OK with us eating bacteria and shit in our meat?

Shit, I’d suggest going vegetarian but all you need is some migrant not washing his hands after taking a shit and BOOM…E. coli outbreak.

11. kataisa says:

Reason number 822,346,374,282,985,867,348,792 to avoid shopping at WalMart.

12. slim150 says:

when i go to walmart i only buy stuff that they didn’t make.. diet pepsi, kraft mac and cheese, ketchup etc.. i don’t know why anyone would buy any of the great value crap to save a few cents. especially the milk, chicken nuggets, deli meat. gross

• Destron says:

You realize that most Great Value foods are made my the name brand companies right? Most of it’s made by Kraft, ConAgra, Nestle, and Del Monte.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Great Value chicken nuggets are chicken breast. They are pretty good.

13. MotorboatJones says:

This isn’t for deli meat or pre-packaged products for store consumers. These are very large bulk sandwich boxes. When was the last time you bought 25 lbs. of sandwiches at walmart?

14. mtwmtw says:

Since we are Walmart bashing, DO NOT DO NOT under any circumstances buy their canned tuna. It’s like tuna mush, nasty nasty nasty.