Verizon Makes Up For Unreasonable Data Bill Once Story Gets Out

Last week Chris told us about how Verizon victimized his dad by nailing him with a $500 data charge for 35 megabytes of usage. The charges were based on an outdated plan from the Stone Age, and today’s data rates wouldn’t have approached anything near that amount. Verizon wasn’t in the mood to respond to his case until we posted the story Friday. By the end of the weekend, the company issued Chris’s dad a $440 credit.

He writes:

I wanted to update my story about the $500 data charge for the 35 MB of data use at Verizon. I contacted Verizon corporate after The Consumerist posted my story, and shared a link to the story with VZW. Earlier this morning, a Verizon representative contacted me and apologized for the poor treatment I received. This representative also offered to apply the $30/mo. unlimited data charge to both months, reducing the data cost from $500 to $60 (I would prefer a full refund but I will settle on this adjustment, as I will never be able to prove that the data was not used, and I was also assured that no data charges would be placed on that line again).

I say this is another victory for the little guy, thanks to The Consumerist. Cheers Consumerist crew!

Congrats, Chris!

Previously: Verizon Wants $500 For 35MB Of Phantom Data Use

Comments

1. Fallom says:

What happened to the new tiered data plans for Verizon that people were freaking out over? I thought it was “probably going to happen” weeks ago.

2. dragonfire81 says:

Enough of the bullshit, cell phone companies!

Instead of being dicks about this stuff and making your customers run to the media as a result, DO THE RIGHT THING in first place! You might actually *gasp* make more money and have happier customers if you did.

These situations happen again and again and again, why don’t companies become more human.

• Anonymously says:

These phone companies must hate their customers. It’s the only explanation I can fathom.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I was an AT&T CSR for a while, and I had something similar to this happen, except it was a MUCH higher charge. Basically lady had ordered an iphone on a line that was eligible for an upgrade, that line got the data plan but she switched the sims to one line without data.

Long story short $8000 bill.

The way you handle this if you’re a CSR that knows that the fuck you’re doing, you do a rerate – so basically you cancel out the $8k data charge and instead charge the $30 data plan.
      It takes about a week because they have to review it, but I did it, and it was applied to the lady’s bill.

This is because I cared, and I tried to do my job fro the customer and not for the company. Unfortunately, they’re firing people like me and hiring drones who don’t give a shit.

• DariusC says:

Exactly, I still think Verizon is run by douchebags. BTW Verizon, the story is still posted for everyone to read, we ain’t taking it back!

Sorry guys, I just had to rant… Too bad they had to weigh out bad publicity with making a customer happy.

• zandar says:

because (my theory is) they make a lot of money from customer screw-ups. So the default is be very quiet and hope no one notices. A few will notice, even fewer will take action.

Strangely, I thought the industry standard response was to quickly fix the problem in order to avoid a fuss. I guess Verizon did not get that memo, or decided to gamble, going with increased profits over public embarrassment. Glad they didn’t win the bet.

3. dg says:

So you end up paying $60 for something you didn’t use? Still a rip off. Are you now “On the unlimited plan” for $30/month for something you don’t need?

If you’re not under contract – I’d move service immediately.

4. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Does anyone know if the OP checked the data counter on the phone to see if there had actually been usage? If not, that would be great evidence that can’t be disputed by Verizon, and would prove his case 100%.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Unfortunately, I believe most of those have reset functions.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

They do, but they also have a lifetime counter which can’t be reset. That’s how I caught the Ex talking to one of the guys she cheated on me with. She could delete her call history, but if between before work and after work her lifetime call history showed 45 minutes of calls, yet her call history only showed a call to me and a 5 minute one to her Dad, where was the other 30 minutes?

• ames says:

I wouldn’t even know how to do that.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I outlined it in the previous post. Since Verizon gimped all their phones to have the same OS, it’s probably Menu:Recent Calls:View Timers. Let me know if that works.

5. Clyde Barrow says:

Awwww another success story because of the internet. The internet is a true thorn in the side with companies these days but that’s a good thing because its forcing them to be honest. Back in the day, his dad would have had to pay for this bill and he’d be SOL.

6. smarmyjones goes cattywampus says:

Where does it state that Verizon gave them a $440 credit? OP never paid the bill, but chose to fight it and got the charges reduced.

7. Harry_Greek says:

Why is everyone complaining about the telecoms?? As terrible as their pricing is, people are STILL paying. Someone out there is OK with the overpriced services.

Personally, I can do with out mobile internet access. So, I just use Pay As You Go. $100 – $200 a year… THATS IT.

• Beeker26 says:

Here here! It boggles my mind that people pay $100 or more a month for cell service.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Because in some places you don’t have a choice?
        Even on the lowest plan with a dumb phone I’m still looking at a $50 phone bill. If you have a smart phone and use data, the $100 price tag is hard to shake off depending on your carrier.

• RvLeshrac says:

A TracFone or Net10 is incredibly cheap, available everywhere in the US, and runs on Verizon’s network.

I spend roughly $60-$100/yr on my phone. I’d spend less than that if I bought a new double-minute phone.

The main problem is that people spend *FAR* too much time yammering on about the most inane nonsense when they’re on their metered phones, so they think they need 100000 minutes/month. If people limited themselves to using their cells only when necessary, most people could easily get by with

• Anonymously says:

Me too. $100 a year. As nice as it is, I don’t need the internet on my phone.

• vastrightwing says:

Exactly. I tried a few phones with internet. After 5 mins. inside the store (under optimal conditions), I realized I didn’t have the required patience. My fingers are too fat, my eyes require more resolution on the screen and I need more patience for the web sites to draw. Nope, even if the data charges were only $5.00 for unlimited internet, it ain’t ready for people like me yet. Maybe when 5G is out.

8. sjb says:

Been using a prepay plan for sometime now, it can not create these runaway bill that seem to happen. It does not have a data plan, it does not have any fancy bells and whistles, its a phone. When its allotment of money is close to being used up, I decide how much and when I add money to the account.

9. vastrightwing says:

… and my case for a “dumb” phone continues to get stronger every day. Sure, I’d love to have a phone with a data plan and a browser. But I don’t want to deal with the outrageous costs. The Iphone just blows my mind. How people can justify blowing $400+ in equipment costs plus re-occurring charges of $60 and more for a yearly cost of about $1,200 is dumbfounding to me. Other so called “smart phones” aren’t much cheaper.

10. thaJack says:

They aren’t sorry about the poor treatment you received. They are sorry that Consumerist told everyone about it.