Couple Says Real Estate Agent Used Their Home For Sex

Earlier this month, a couple in Minnesota filed a lawsuit against a local Coldwell Banker franchise and a real estate agent the company employed, alleging that the agent used the home for sexcapades while they were out of town, ruining their furniture, bedding and carpet. Neighbors say he showed up one day with an unidentified man and said they were going to be preparing the home for an open house, but no open house was held. Or at least not one the neighbors could see; maybe he uses that phrase in a different way.

The lawsuit also alleges that someone used the [plaintiffs’] computer while they were away, which no one had permission to use, and charged $1,300 to their American Express account.

CBB spent more than $7,000 to clean the home, fix the damage and replace the furniture. The couple, however, said that even after the cleaning they have found incense and lubricants around the house and soiled and “sticky substances” and no longer feel safe there.

[The agent] was fired and denies any wrong doing.

WCCO reports that the couple included the company in the lawsuit because they hired the agent even though he had a criminal history. The suit alleges the company “had received a complaint that Skar was involved in drug dealing and male prostitution, but they didn’t investigate it.”

“Couple Sues Real Estate Agent For Sex In House” [WCCO] (Thanks to GitEmSteveDave!)

Comments

1. rpm773 says:

…ruining their furniture, bedding and carpet.

What kind of sex is this? Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong?

• DariusC says:

Must have been really good. They soiled the house?! Wow!

“…and no longer feel safe there”

I guess, wouldn’t want people coming (No pun intended) into my home and doing that!

• Griking says:

That was my first thought.

• UltimateOutsider says:

Well, “The suit alleges the company ‘had received a complaint that Skar was involved in drug dealing and male prostitution, but they didn’t investigate it.'”

I don’t think it was just one time or one person. Their home may have been a temporary brothel.

2. E-Jungle says:

I would never allow people i don’t know in my home during my absence. You should be able to trust agencies like these to a certain point but obviously you can’t because there will always be those who think they can take advantage of any given situation.

• JMILLER says:

Have you ever sold a house? The current owner should never be around for the showing of a home or open house. The issue is not letting people in your house. It is hiring people you trust.

Generally, real estate agents are not considered employees, so I am not sure that will fly in this lawsuit. There is also the fact CB is not responsible of illegal acts by their employees, unless it relates to their actual job or they were told to do something. You don’t sue McDonald’s if one of their employees is caught dealing drugs.

• shepd says:

Bingo. I just bought my first home and I’m amazed (perhaps even bewildered) with how far the real estate agent goes to depersonalize the sale.

I understand the idea, you’re selling the house, not the people in it, but wow! What a pain in the ass for the owners, the have to leave during the inspection, they’ll have to leave during the measuring (don’t even understand why that exists, but the agent insists I do it), and they have to leave during the final inspection, too. Not to mention the open houses and the special showing I got.

Pain in the ass for the agent, too, during the sale. They have to come to my place for the offer, then go back to the house, and if they hadn’t have accepted the first offer, back and forth a little more.

I guess during the inspections I understand why. But, you know what? I’m all that much more curious now to say hi, just once, to the previous owners! :-D

This differs greatly from the UK, of course. When we helped sell grandma’s house there, the real estate agents didn’t really do all that much apart from listing the house, taking offers, and booking appointments. You did all your own showings. Of course, their fees were way, way, way more competitive (About 1/5th what they charge over here) so it’s worth the effort, IMHO.

• Sudonum says:

Most agents representing the seller don’t want any contact because the seller could say or do something to prevent a sale. My wife represented a client who used to park across the street and wait for the prospective buyers to show up, after they toured the house the seller would then go up and introduce herself and start questioning the buyers. In one case the buyers agent described it as an “interrogation”. It completely turned the buyers off.
          The seller was an elderly woman who was desperate to sell and couldn’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want to buy her house. The house finally sold, at close to asking price, after the woman went to live with her daughter in a city about an hour away.

• Garbanzo says:

I bought one house and sold another during the past year. I never met the seller who sold my current house, or the buyer who bought my old house. The agents really work to keep those worlds from colliding.

• outoftheblew says:

With my first house, I met the previous owners (who were very friendly) when they did some repair work after closing (agreed upon).

With my second house, the previous owners were losing $15,000 (due to the market crash, etc.). I stalked them on FB a little, but was glad to not meet them because I didn’t want to be faced with my feelings of stealing from them.

• Sudonum says:

I agree, and what about the state agency that licensed the agent? In most states it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to get an associates license if you’re a convicted felon. If the state gives them a license after performing their background check how liable could the broker be?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You also don’t invite McDonald’s employees in your home. That’s a false analogy. His drug dealing does not directly affect the quality of your food he’s serving. In the real case, the ral estate’s actions causes damages to property, thus durectly effecting the customer.

The real estate agent was indeed hired by the company. They endorsed him, and the home owners hired him in part on the company’s reputation. Therefore, his actions reflect directly on the agency, and both are culpable.

• E-Jungle says:

Yes I have, and was always present. Also when I bought my current home the previous owners were around.

3. Floppywesl says:

I knew i should have gotten that real estate License

4. AstroPig7 says:

Somewhere in here, there’s a joke about bending over and the real estate industry.

5. George4478 says:

The last open house I went to, I only got some cookies.

6. Minneapolis says:

He was just soliciting quotes from professional stagers!

7. chaesar says:

maybe the agent’s last name was House?

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

…Skar? His name was Skar?!

How did this not get picked up on theor respective radars?

9. Chip Skylark of Space says:

Boy, I would have liked to see how Amelia and her co-anchor/husband handled this story on ‘CCO. Is there a video clip somewhere of this story?

10. mantari says:

Let me guess. Was the real estate agent a Republican? He needs to hold a press conference with his WIFE to refute these scandalous accusations!

11. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I thought the couple was over blowing it, and then read this:

Skar was allegedly hired even though he had a criminal history. The lawsuit states that CBB had received a complaint that Skar was involved in drug dealing and male prostitution, but they didn’t investigate it.

It sounds like this wasn’t just an agent bringing in a date to impress her. I was also thinking about lock boxes and other agents until I read that.

Don’t real estate agents have to pass a very picky background check to get their license in MN?

• Max5695 says:

Background checks are usually run by companies that hire agents. I used to work in background investigation. Some companies don’t check their potential employees for criminal records. Some companies only pay for limited criminal records checks. For example, a company might say only report on criminal records for the last 5 years or only check criminal records for the city that the employee lives in. There are many ways to overcome a background check. Job applicants can provide fake addresses, fake aliases, and fake personal informaton.

When you search for criminal records you have to contact the local courts, police stations, etc. If a company is cheap, they won’t ask for criminal records to be searched outside of the state. Out of state records can go unreported. There is no magic database that gives you complete criminal records of every single city in the U.S. You have to search by what places the job applicant tells you that he or she has lived.

12. evilpete says:

Ahhh. If only they had a home security video system.

13. Mecharine says:

I would never trust a guy named Skar. Seriously, that is not a good sign.

14. RxDude says:

“an unidentified man”

Tom Emmer, is that you?

15. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Bedrooms and Hallways, UK, 1998 – “Meanwhile, flamboyant Darren has met real estate agent Jeremy (Hugo Weaving), who gets a kick out of having sex in houses for sale he has been given the keys to.” (awkward phrasing courtesy of Wikipedia).

16. Trai_Dep says:

Geezus, people, don’t have sloppy, sweaty, nakkid make-up sex in a rental open-house home.
    That’s what your local Ikea is for!

17. Dutchess says:

I’ve seen ads on Craigslist from a RE that wants to meet people in houses for sale.

I knew there were other’s doing it, just a matter of time before they were caught.

This is disgusting.

18. slimeburg says:

Thats gross. I’m not sure where safety come into this. You can’t get AIDS from dried “stuff” unless you have a cutting edge lab and more or less intend to infect yourself. Besides, most gays have gotten pretty smart about AIDS prevention these days. I guess they may feel like “participants” in past “events” may come back looking for more – but just because someone pays for “services” – I don’t think that makes them anymore likely to be out to rape anyone than the general population. Besides – based on the type of “services” that seem to be involved the “clients” are probably less likely – ie the type that most females would be pretty safe with…

• msbask says:

I think you missed the part where they accused him of being some kind of drug dealer. That type of “customer” could very well come back looking for more.

19. aaron8301 says:

Nanny cam. Prob solved. (Although it’s too late now, of course. But if I was going to be letting strange people in my house in my absence, I’d damn well record it.)

20. DD_838 says:

“The couple included the company in the lawsuit because they hired the agent even though he had a criminal history.” The suit alleges the company “had received a complaint that Skar was involved in drug dealing and male prostitution, but they didn’t investigate it.”

It’s not against the law to hire someone with a criminal record and the article doesn’t say he was convicted of anything. I don’t see how they have a case against the company itself.

I have a feeling that these people may just be a tad bit homophobic and blowing the whole thing out of proportion. No longer feel safe there?? Thats a bunch of BS

• AK47 - Now with longer screen name! says:

Dude, “blowing the whole thing out of proportion”?? Seriously??? They gave the keys to their home to a real estate agent who brought strange people into the house for sex, damaged the furniture, ruined the carpet, left little ‘surprises’ all over the house, used their computer, and stole their Amex info. Whether those strangers were men or women, I don’t think it matters.

Add to that, the agent was previously involved in drug deals and prostitution, bringing up the question of whether the escapades in the house were just personal parties, or if the guy set up drug and prostitution deals in the house.

And you really don’t understand why they wouldn’t feel comfortable with the idea that the agent’s “friends” might be coming around their house looking to party?

• msbask says:

I’m about as gay-friendly as they come, and this stories skeeves the hell out of me.

*If* this guy was running some kind of prostitution/drug business, and using their home to run his ‘business’, I’d be sick to my stomach and feel unsafe, too.

If it makes you feel any better, I’d feel exactly the same way if it was a male/female prostitution business, too.

• outoftheblew says:

I believe I read an article where the homeowners participated in gay pride parades, stating they don’t have any issue with gay sex … but they were skeeved out that there was ANY kind of sex all over their sofas and beds while they were away trying to get the house sold. Doesn’t sound homophobic to me.