There Are Now 380 Million Recalled Eggs

Although the 380 million recalled eggs represent a small fraction of the total eggs out there, it’s still a staggering number of items that could be tainted with salmonella. The latest recall involves a second Iowa producer, Hillandale Farms.

Why is this happening? Chickens can get salmonella from rodents, tainted feed or from unsanitary humans. The hens then lay eggs with the bacteria already inside.

Fully cooking eggs will kill salmonella, but that includes the yolk — so if you like your eggs sunny side up you should go read your egg cartons right now.

The FDA says:

Eggs affected by this latest recall are distributed under the following brand names: Hillandale Farms, Sunny Farms, and Sunny Meadow in 6-egg cartons, dozen-egg cartons, 18-egg cartons, 30-egg package, and 5-dozen cases. Loose eggs are packaged under the following brand names: Wholesome Farms and West Creek in 15 and 30-dozen tray packs.

Eggs involved in this related recall are only eggs with the following plant numbers:
P1860 – Julian (production) numbers ranging from 099 to 230
P1663 – Julian (production) numbers ranging from 137 to 230

For info on the previous recall and instructions for reading your egg cartons, click here.

UPDATE: August 20, 2010: Related nationwide recall:
Eggs from Hillandale Farms may put consumers at risk for Salmonella.
[FDA]

Comments

1. denros says:

I really wish they would specify which *kind* of hillandale eggs were included, if it includes the cage-free variety or not. I ate those over a week ago and threw away the carton before i found out about the recall. I realize that after 48-72 hours you’re generally in the clear, but there’s got to be other people out there who probably JUST threw them out before finding out about the recall.

2. HogwartsProfessor says:

Whew, this doesn’t affect me. Mine are local farm eggs. They’re from Araucana chickens, too, and I got a whole box of green-shelled eggs. XD Fracking awesome! Buy from a smaller place; they usually take better care of the chickens.

(The insides look the same except farm eggs have orangey-er yolks.)

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

That’s from eating more grass … they get more beta carotene and have yellower yolks. The yolks also vary in color and consistency by season with truly “free range” chickens that scrounge traditional style and aren’t fed primarily on feed.

• VeganPixels says:

Or from eating more corn than soybean meal.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Yes, when my ex and I had chickens, they ran around all day eating grass and bugs and stuff. We also fed them grain. Those eggs were DELICIOUS.

3. Matzoball says:

And the reward for bad eggs….a price increase of .25-.40 a dozen for the producer.

• failurate says:

I am guessing supply is down as any suspected disease carrying chickens were probably culled.

Not sure what effect the recall has had on demand, I am sure it is down, but most likely not as down as the supply is. Then again, I made some very tasty omelets this morning using eggs from Eggland’s Best.

4. momtimestwo says:

I don’t understand the whole egg distribution process. Is this saying that 350 million eggs came from the same place? Is the salmonella coming from from hens that were fed tainted feed, they passed it on to the eggs, which in turn went to (what sounds like) a huge freaking building, washed, then on to us. (or you I don’t eat eggs, can’t stand the smell or texture:) )

• Pax says:

Five farms, over what looks to be a period of seven months. So about ten million eggs per month, per farm, on average.

5. Coles_Law says:

This really freaked me out until I looked it up and found 380 million eggs are consumed in about 2 days in the USA. It’s still a big recall, and I’m not trying to downplay my risk. On a side note, holy cow we eat a lot of eggs.

6. dreamfish says:

As sure as eggs are eggs.

… or not in this case.

7. Rylar22 says:

Chickens getting sick isn’t some mysterious tainted feed.

Chickens get sick because factory farms are cruel, disease causing places. “Cage free” is complete non-sense. When you stuff hundreds of thousands of chickens into rooms together, they will get sick, and so will you when you eat them. The lack of cages won’t change that. Only humane farming practices will.

8. lillym says:

The more I read about this company the more disgusted I am. They should not be allowed to be in business at all.

It’s just been violation after violation — employing 11 year olds and a nine year old. Unsanitary living conditions for migrant workers including feces in the drinking water. The latest info I read was about a lawsuit brought by female employees who were raped by their supervisors and threatened that they would be fired or killed if they said anything.

It seems like they’ve managed to rack up every violation they possibly can. A case even went to the Maine Supreme court.

It’s unbelievable that with all of their violations ranging from 1980 to the present they haven’t been premenantly shut down and barred from owning any kind of business

• runswithscissors says:

“What’re yuh gonna do there En-ree-kay? Report us to thuh gubm’nt? We’ll deeport yer ass back to guada-la-haira so dam fast…”

9. Hoss says:

380 million raw eggs, all from Iowa? Do I have this right? So they’re not talking eggs bought by McDonalds or other huge enterprise, this is 380 million eggs in markets???

If that’s right, then I’m shocked that eggs would be profitable enough to ship to so many states. 380 million must cover a lot of territory. I guess I assumed eggs were farmed relatively locally.

Do I have this right, or do I have egg on my face… (bad one)

• Matzoball says:

It is cheaper to produce eggs in the Midwest because it is closer to the grain and lower labor costs due to lower minimum wages. In order to be in the egg business on the Coast you need to specialize…organics…and/or have unique delivery services to the retail chains that the midwest can not match. Food Service companies will utilize midwest eggs to lower their costs because they do not have to support the variety of brands. Retail stores tend to sell in cartons and have some variety of store and name brands. Because eggs are so perishable some need to be local. But any retail chain can feature eggs in an ad and that is when it is most likely that the eggs you are eating in California came from a farm in Iowa.

• Hoss says:

What do you mean by food service companies? I’m just wondering why a product like Egg Beaters would not be effected.

Thanks, very helpful info

• OutPastPluto says:

Egg Beaters is pasteurized. That’s one reason to use that stuff in place of real eggs when you can.

• VeganPixels says:

There were 6,384,000,000 table eggs lain in the US in June 2010 alone. There are 53,554,000 table egg layers in Iowa alone. Brace for impact and brain-bleed:

• failurate says:

Eggs also have a fairly long shelf life for a fresh product, 60 days. So with refrigeration, they can be shipped all over and still be sell-able.

10. Willnet says:

I don’t care. I’m still going to eat these eggs.

11. StanDirko says:

Just like anything else, just cook your damned eggs until they are done. Nothing disgusts me much more than undone eggs. Just about the only place which can do them to my liking consistently is Cracker Barrel. So, usually….wait for it……..”I make my own eggs at home”…..LO effin L.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Exactly, C O O K the freaking eggs. If you want taste put salt or pepper on them.

I blame a lot of these cooking shows especially Gordon Ramsey who frequently barks about dry overcooked unflavorfull food.

Number you eat to survive, not for a gourmet experience. That’s why they started throwing things like ketchup and salt & pepper on the table.

12. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Mine don’t seem to be affected, which is great – then again, I was using this carton of eggs before there was a recall and I figure i would’ve been sick by now if they had been recalled.

13. Intheknow says:

Let’s just make the guys who produce these eggs and run these over-crowded, disgusting “egg farms” eat their own product. I mean have you seen these places? Smelled them from MILES away?

14. macoan says:

I just had my wife throw away all the eggs we had – when the recall first came out, they had codes to look for on the carton, which were not on ours.

Then they come out and announce the recall has expanded to almost twice as much…. Oh, sorry – no codes to look for, we don’t want the public to know which eggs are part of the expanded recall (I put their recall in my own words)

Nice now to finally see them now putting out the new codes that are part of the recall – but my eggs are already gone.

15. lockdog says:

For those of you who are playing Consumerist Bingo:

We started keeping chickens in our backyard earlier this year. I have to say that the chickens have been easier to care for than a dog, and honestly make less of a mess in the yard too. Feed is dirt cheap and a bag lasts months. They aren’t exactly a companion pet, but they will let you pick them up/pet them and they are very entertaining to watch. Three are no problem on my very small inner city lot and I get about 1.5 dozen or better eggs a week.

That doesn’t mean I’m not at risk to having salmonella, it just means I use good food handling techniques. Knowing where the eggs come from and what else is happening on the business side of a hen keeps me from being lulled into the type of complacency that is all to easy when buying seemingly ( but far from) pristine big-ag foods.

16. Mr.Grieves says:

This is all part of my evil plan to scramble all the eggs in the world.

17. CWG85338 says:

This is another example of how out of control our mass-produced food system has become. If you have not watched Food, Inc., you should. The systematic takeover of our food production by large corporations has kept prices down, but at the expense of quality and safety. Buy local!

• smo0 says:

Food Inc changed me…. love love love that movie…

any Netflix customers… it’s available for streaming, watch it….

18. smo0 says:

Cage free – brown eggs – trader joes.

The end.

• Hoss says:

Don’t be so elitist — Trader Joes sold the recalled eggs as well and they have plenty of other Salmonella recalls this year including granola bars

• smo0 says:

I haven’t had any issues, was is trader joes brand or the independent… I usually buy independent.

• shepd says:

There is no longer a difference between brown egg and white egg chickens, apart from the fact that brown egg chickens have a slightly different colouring, are bigger, and lay fewer eggs (which means they are bad for the environment, since more feed goes in to make fewer eggs).

A long, long, long time ago there was a difference because commercial growers preferred white chickens, since they require less feed. Brown eggs were, at that time, related to brown egg free-range chickens that ate different feed than normal chickens, exclusively since the commercial growers at the time didn’t use them. The different feed (not the being free range or brown egg layers) made the eggs a bit different tasting. Of course, commercial growers now have stocks of the brown egg chickens, which they feed the same way as their white egg chickens, which lay eggs that taste identical, but cost more to maintain and therefore the end product costs more (a lot more than it should, but that’s business for you).

IOW: Don’t waste your money on egg racism. :-)

19. u1itn0w2day says:

Just wondering, but now you have a bunch of trash trucks carrying around and possibly dripping crushed raw egg salmonella all over the neighborhoods. It’s bad enough the amount of food we throw out as Americans. Can’t these be recycled into a compost pile at least partially cooked ?

• Matzoball says:

They can be pastuerized and sold as egg products…and that is exactly what is eing done with the quarantined chickens eggs. So we will see these eggs in baked goods in the near future.

20. OutPastPluto says:

“unsanitary humans” eh?

How can anyone that knows anything about modern factory farming NOT expect their eggs to be crawling with salmonella? The modern state of egg farming is the real story here, not the fact that the general public finally managed to notice things.

Was already treating eggs as biohazard… and any other raw animal product for that matter too.

• loganberries says:

Right. I have been hearing for years and years that all eggs we consume should be thoroughly cooked or you risk salmonella; the statistic I grew up with in the late 80’s and 90’s was one in three eggs was likely tainted, and later in the 90’s that number crept up to half.

But cooked thoroughly, there is no risk. There is no need to throw out perfectly good eggs–they can be used safely in all sorts of recipes or hard boiled. I would LOVE a big chicken-vegetable quiche right about now …

21. FrankenPC says:

What’s staggering is the FDA actually had the authority to drive this recall. This is a first.