Use Toshl To Manually Track Your Expenses

The Toshl app lets you swiftly input and track your spending. Just enter a price, tap a tag, and tap save. Blamo, done.

Toshl also gives you cool graphs and stats, and lets you sync your data with their site so you can access it even on another device.

It’s a good option for those uncomfortable with giving places like Mint your credit card and banking information, and/or you want to have total granular control over all your tags and spending categories.

The app is available on iPhone, Android, and Nokia Maemo. The free version has just about all the features you need, but there is also a $19.95/year version with better graphs and exporting options.

Thanks to commenter damageinc for pointing out this app in the comments on our “What Apps Do You Use To Be A Smarter Consumer?” post.

Toshl [Official Site]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’d use this, except it wouldn’t be compatable with my “save money by not buying an expensive smartphone or have an expensive text/data plan” app.

• Ben Popken says:

I guess the first expense you could enter would be your smartphone cost.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’m a big sarcastic bastard. There, I said it.

But one thing that I am very glad to see in smartphones is that a huge number of these apps, like this one, is free. It’s good to see the evolution of apps generally favor the consumer, unlike e-readers. In my mind, publishers destroyed what could have been a truly revolutionary era of literacy. Instead, they just saw $$$. I hope the trend reverses.

Also, smartphones plans are overpriced. : – )

• ariven says:

I guess I shouldn’t mention the free e-readers I use on my smart phone, or the number of free books I have in them… ;)

• tbax929 says:

I have over 300 books on my Nook and only actually paid for two of them.

• The Marionette says:

Not really overpriced. The zio phone I’m getting is $250, which is only $50 for the non smartphone I have right now.

• TasteyCat says:

I don’t have/plan to get a smartphone either because I use my phone for like calling people. But I did download the free version of Toshl for my iPod touch.

2. blandname says:

I find it easier and much cheaper to use an Excel (or OpenOffice if you want a free equivalent) spreadsheet with all of my credit cards and bank accounts on it, and deduct as necessary. When I get home I’ll just enter all my spending in the appropriate accounts and it keeps track of everything.

3. ellemdee says:

“Use Toshl To Manually Your Track Expenses”
    Yoda?

4. allknowingtomato says:

I try to be tolerant of spelling/grammar errors in the posts, but can we at least read the headlines out loud to ourselves before publishing?

And to be doubly annoying: i make my own apps at home! I don’t have a smart phone. I have the phone that was free when my contract gave me a new phone. I don’t have to pay data costs, and i use a small notebook i made out of the ends of graph paper to write down what I buy and when.

5. damageinc says:

Saw this article and thought what a coincidence, I just commented about this in another thread. Then I saw this was actually posted because of my comment :)

My main reason for using this over a spreadsheet (which I used to use) is the dynamic tagging, similar to the way labels work in gmail. Allows you to easily group expenses into various (multiple) categories and get very granular statistics for your spending

6. BrandonOBrien says:

I still prefer sites like http://www.clearcheckbook.com or http://www.mint.com that are more robust

7. Sam Rabin says:

I much prefer apps like this to Mint, for the simple reason that it makes confirming the balances of my accounts much easier. With Mint, you only see what you are charged, which may not be accurate. I use the iPhone app Pocket Money. When I got my credit card bill this month, I compared the balance with what I had in the app. There were some discrepancies that I was able to resolve, and that was that.

With Mint, I would have had to go through every transaction and made sure it made sense. Unless I had kept up with it, tagging and annotating every transaction. I found this to be impossible to do. The several-day delay between me making a transaction and it having it show up in Mint just wasn’t working for me. I would always lose receipts, or keep putting off their entry into Mint, etc. With Pocket Money (or presumably Toshl, but God what an awful name), I just manually enter transactions as they happen. Way easier.

Not to mention the fact that Mint still hasn’t updated their iPhone app to allow entry of cash transactions.

Pocket Money has graphing and exporting available, too. $5, all iOS devices supported.

• SChance says:

Second the Pocket Money rec. I used to use Quicken, and would still use it if I could, but it suddenly stopped syncing with my credit union accounts – Intuit blamed my CU, my CU said, “We haven’t changed anything,” so long story short, I couldn’t download transactions anymore.

Pocket Money gives me a lot of what I had with Quicken, with the ability to enter transactions on the fly as well (now, if I’d only do it . . .). I use it on my iPad, then hold the iPad in my lap while I go online and reconcile my account against my CU’s website.

8. JMILLER says:

Nothing is overpriced. If it were “over priced” nobody would buy them. YOU do not feel it is worth the price. It really gets tiring to hear people say because they don’t want something it is overpriced.