eBags Happily Replaces Worn-Out Laptop Bag

James writes that he bought a great laptop bag made by eBags.com in 2008, and it has served him well all of that time. When some of the stitching came loose and the zipper fell apart, he contacted the company about a repair or discounted replacement. eBags went beyond what James expected, instead offering him a refund for the bag’s full purchase price to buy a replacement.

In April 2008, I purchased a Laptop Bag from eBags.com. It’s been a fantastic bag that I’ve used daily for more than 2 years. I call on multiple clients each day, so this bag gets moved around a lot – in and out of the trunk, tossed under desks, etc. It takes a fair amount of abuse and is still in great shape.

Last week, I noticed that the stitching around the main compartment’s zipper was coming loose. A few days later, part of the zipper had separated and it actually broke, resulting in an inability to zip about half of the zipper shut. The zipper goes completely around 3 sides of the bag (so you could lay it completely flat if you wanted) so this makes for lots of things falling out of the bag.

This evening, I was shopping for a replacement bag at eBags – I found a slightly newer version of my old bag and noticed it had a lifetime warranty (“Our Promise – Lifetime Warranty -Exchange, return, whatever it takes”). I called their 1-800 number and a real live person answered the phone. I explained my bag’s status and, knowing it was a couple of years old and the failure was due to normal wear-and-tear, not a manufacturer’s defect, I asked the CSR if I could send it in for repair or get a discount on a new bag. She asked for a couple of details and then told me she would send a replacement. She didn’t ask me to return the bag, send a picture of the damage, or anything of the sort. She only wanted to know which zipper failed.

As it turns out, they no longer carry my old bag in the same colors so she offered a replacement in a different color, or a giftcard for the original purchase price. They do carry a newer version of my bag in the same color so I asked if I could have that one instead. The newer bag was slightly less expensive. She explained that her system would let her do an alternate product replacement, but she would send me the giftcard. For the original purchase price. Which was more than the replacement bag cost.

She verified my email and that was it – a total of 4 minutes on the phone and I’ll have the giftcard within 48 hours. Awesome customer service, above and beyond what I was expecting with no hassle. I will definitely shop eBags.com again and I will recommend them to anyone that will listen.

Comments

1. dosdelon says:

I have bought items from ebags in the past. Their prices are usually among the best and their customer service has always been good. Yes, I am a repeat buyer from them.

• Digital_Headache says:

Spot on. Their prices are highly competitive and they treat you well. I, too, am a repeat buyer.

2. coren says:

I suspect that this should read “wouldn’t let her do an alternate product…” – otherwise it would have been done and over with right there

• Aesteval says:

Not necessarily. The new bag was cheaper than the older bag. The customer may have been happy to receive a lower costed product in return, but perhaps the giftcard was sent in its place so that he received the full value of the original purchase?

3. JixiLou says:

Because of this post, I went and checked out the bag on eBags.com. Now I’m thinking about buying one…

And that’s how good customer service is rewarded. ARE YOU LISTENING, OTHER COMPANIES?

• Buckus says:

Zactly. The payoffs might not be immediately apparent (as in, next quarter’s profit apparent) but they’ll payoff in the long run.

4. Hi_Hello says:

reallly?/ man, my strap broke a few years ago…. I should’ve called them…

5. CompyPaq says:

Actually, look at it this way:

Now he probably has an ebags,com gift card with $10 or so left on it. Now he will spend more money on ebags.com.

• BigSchem says:

Yes, but he still has his bag…it’s his choice to spend the extra $10 on whatever he wants. It’s the way stores play the game. This is how they keep their awesome customer service reputation up, while getting more sales.

Everyone’s happy this way

6. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

This makes me feel even better about the little laptop bag that I bought from Ebags just a month or two ago. It was really difficult to find a good bag that would fit such an odd sized laptop. It’s just a little too big for netbook bags, and way too small for regular laptop bags. Their search which lets you pick your exact computer model is really great, and it helped me pick a bag that would fit.

It also helps that it’s a pretty nifty bag too, hehe.

7. Freethought says:

I had the exact same eBags experience a couple years ago with a worn-out Downloader backpack. They instantly offered to ship me a replacement, and didn’t want the old one back. Two days later, my new bag arrived. This is one reason I have been buying eBags brand luggage exclusively since I started with their stuff about six or seven years ago. The other reason is their eBags line is incredibly well-designed and rugged as hell. They stand up to constant travel much better than expensive name-brand bags, and I like the way the eBags items look. I now have a complete set of blue eBags luggage (Motherlode Junior, Motherlode Mini, Downloader and Firewall) which has gone around the world with us several times over and it has never let us down.

8. JennaBelle says:

EBags has been awesome everytime I’ve ordered something from them. Once, they sent me a clearance Crumpler camera bag in the wrong color (and by the time I got it, the color I wanted and had ordered was no longer available on their site) but with one quick phone call they sent me the red bag I had wanted and packaging and prepaid return shipping stuff so I could send the blue one I didn’t want, back. I was impressed because it was on clearance, it was a brand they rarely discount and it was a relatively minor complaint – while I do love red, it was such an amazing price I would’ve been ok if they would’ve said too bad. I also love their line of stuff – have an incredible laptop tote of sorts and it’s held up great for the last year and a half, was super affordable, is waterproof and has compartments for everything. It’s so nice when a company doesn’t suck nowadays, but it’s SO rare.

9. cheezfri says:

I’m facing a similar situation. I received an Ogio duffle bag as a corporate gift. The zipper broke and I cannot fix it. I will be contacting Ogio to see what can be done, but my bag had a corporate logo, and as a gift, I don’t have a receipt. Ogio sure makes very high quality products (my zipper notwithstanding). I’m hoping they have high quality service to match. I’d be willing to mail them the bag at my cost to fix. I’ve learned not to expect much more than that anymore.

10. Extractor says:

Home Depot just did something similar for me. Ceiling fan I put up in 05 is dying. Contacted Home Depot since Hampton Bay is their Brand and it carries a lifetime warranty. Sent photos and was informed that Ill be getting a Gift card for the full amount needed to purchase a new one. Just glad that its easy for me to install and I dont need to go in the attic this time. Just need to follow all the steps thru CS. Kohls is another great example.

11. Anita says:

That bag just screams “I have a laptop! Steal me!”

12. j_rose says:

Thanks for posting this article, I need to buy a rolling laptop bag and I know where I’m looking!!

13. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I know at least one of their customer service centers is located in Denver. It’s nice that they don’t only offer good products, prices, and support – but also good, US jobs.

14. GHDave says:

I had an eBags MotherLode Jr. bag for 4-5 years. One zipper handle came off, and on another the little ring for a lock broke off. The bag had a lifetime warranty. I called them, hoping for some zipper parts. The lady said “Can’t do that, we’ll send you a new bag, just throw away or donate the old one.” The new one arrived in a few days. Needless to say, I very highly recommend eBags in general and the MotherLode Jr (now known as the eTech Jr) in particular.