$400 Strollers Recalled Because They Might Unexpectedly Collapse

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced a recall of Zooper Tango Double Strollers, manufactured by Lan Enterprises LLC, over concerns that a latch on the stroller’s frame could fail and cause the stroller to collapse.

According to the CPSC:
The stroller’s frame latch above the front wheels can fail when the stroller hits an object, causing the stroller to unexpectedly collapse. This can result in minor scrapes, cuts and bruises.

So far, there have been at least 185 reports of frame latch failures, including an incident in which a 13-month-old boy and a 3-year-old boy received scrapes and bruises when their stroller hit a sidewalk and the stroller collapsed.

This recall involves 2007 and 2008 Zooper Tango double strollers with a model number of SL808B and SL808F. The model numbers were printed on the original packaging. The strollers have production dates ranging from January 1, 2007, through April 30, 2008. The production dates are printed on the warning labels attached to the seats. The word “Zooper” is printed on the stroller canopies and grab bars. The Web address http://www.zooper.com is printed on the basket under the stroller seats.

These strollers retailed for between $400 and $430.

The CPSC says consumers should immediately stop using these recalled strollers and contact Zooper USA to receive a free repair kit at (888) 966-7379 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s website at zooper.com.

Lan Enterprises Recalls Zooper Tango Double Strollers Due to Collapse Hazard [CPSC]

Comments

1. full.tang.halo says:

Just cause it’s big and expensive doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a weak spot something small you wouldn’t think was a threat would could hit and destroy it…

2. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

It is most likely the hundreds of pounds of assorted baby/toddler care crap you see these things loaded with in addition to the kids that causes them to buckle.

Every time I board an airline and see one of these monstrosities in the jetway I know to make sure I am seated forward of the owners, otherwise it will take me an hour to get off the plane at the final destination.

3. catnapped says:

Just the China death train rearing it’s ugly head again….nothing to see here….

• shaleoil24 says:

oh boy, that’s only partially true. Remember, some product manager in the US was responsible for testing this thing, and some engineer for making sure it would work. Obviously one of them didn’t do their jobs well enough, maybe they only tested the latch “100” times, and not many hundreds or thousands as would be the case in actual use.

so you’ve got to put the burden of the blame on the QC procedures of the US based company. They done f’ed up

4. blueneon says:

who pays $400 for a freaking stroller?!

• MickeyG says:

I was wondering that too… I don’t get it. I hate when I need to take the (city) bus and there’s a couple Moms with their huge honking strollers taking up all sorts of space so no one can move around safely (and nobody with a disability would be able to find a seat!). Are these huge things really necessary? My Mom had 4 kids and she doesn’t get it either… I can’t imagine all the money people are spending on their little tiny babies!

• Blueskylaw says:

You just hit the nail on the head with the phrase “their little tiny babies”. These companies play on the emotions of parents, especially first child parents and they make you think that if you don’t buy all of the unnecessary cheaply made tchotchkes, or in this case a “necessary” expensively made item then you are the most horrible parent in the world and that you should be sent to hell with gasoline pants on.

• qbubbles says:
      • Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

It’s really telling to read the reviews on the Amazon site for this stroller. Almost to a one, the reviews cite the “wow” factor, the “stroller makes me look cool” factor, “people are impressed” factor….on and on….

So basically this is a stroller for insecure people who spend way more on stuff than they need to in order to impress others with how cool they are and how much money they spent.

• qbubbles says:

I’ll admit… I wanted it. Until I decided that the money was probably better spent in my future child’s college fund. :)

• nbs2 says:

For a double? It isn’t hard. We spent near $200 for the single that we have. Why? Because it will go anywhere. Poorly maintained sidewalks? No problem. Long walk? Actual tires mean less resistance and easier movement. Airport? I’m required to have a carseat at my destination, and if I’m carrying it, I can’t hold my child’s hand (want the kid to stay occupied en route? that means carrying extra gear).

Could we get by with a smaller? Sure – and we do when we are running quick errands.

• rpm773 says:

The same person who pays $70 for a second one, once the $400 one is stolen at the playground.

I’d never buy a stroller I’d feel compelled to handcuff to my wrist.

• thekevinmonster says:

Who steals strollers at the playground?

Do people steal strollers at the playground?

That’s worse than stealing candy from a baby!

• rpm773 says:

Portable items worth several hundred dollars have a tendency of disappearing when their owners aren’t looking.

• PunditGuy says:

This question always gets asked every time a story about a high-end stroller pops up.

$750. Xplory. So the answer to your question would be “me” times almost two. And it was worth every penny to me and my wife.

Cost is not the same thing as value, and it may come as a bit of a shock but people do not need to justify their purchases to you.

• blueneon says:

“…and it may come as a bit of a shock but people do not need to justify their purchases to you.” – wow you’re kinda rude, huh? Obviously you’re too busy making snide remarks to realize it was a rhetorical question. I’m sorry that you feel the need to overcompensate for something by buying ridiculously high price strollers. And I hope your kids end up with better manners than you.

• PunditGuy says:

You insult anyone who makes a purchase you don’t personally agree with, then claim that I’m the rude one. And the purchase was not ridiculous. Try one out if you get a chance.

5. nbs2 says:

$400 isn’t that bad for a double trying to maximize capacity while minimizing weight. I do want to know why someone with a 3yo is buying a double, though.

• Etoiles says:

If the kids are 3 and 13 months now, then the older one was probably not-yet-2 when they bought it, for the toddler and the newborn.

6. CaptCynic says:

As a father of twins, I’d have to say a double stroller was pretty much a necessity. We got a double stroller, that had two attachable infant seats and two bases, plus two additional bases for the second car. Altogether, it cost us about $450 for the whole “travel system”. It was worth it.

7. tape says:

those strollers should be recalled for being huge and obnoxious to anyone else.

8. dg says:

Good, now take the next step and recall ALL of these damn double-wide sidewalk hogging, aisle blocking monstrosities and either make your kid walk, put it in a backpack (or front pack) on your body, or put them into two strollers which are a “front to back” configuration (meaning one kid sits behind the other).

Next up – those super wide bicycle trailers that people put their kids into… trail hoggers…