Bank Of America Is Having A Hard Time Accepting This Whole Death Thing

Dave can’t get Bank of America to accept that his parents are gone, even after sending over the death certificates. He keeps telling the bank to take the house, because nobody in his family wants it and the mortgage is underwater. Bank of America keeps threatening his parents with letters about how behind they are on payments. Oh sure, everything about this story is funny on the surface, but not when Bank of America tries to extract money from a closed account you once shared with your dad, forcing it to re-open and siphon funds from your real accounts.

Can my parents be simultaneously alive and dead? That’s what Bank of America seems to be telling me.

My parents passed away within a few months of each other. I did my duty as their son, and mailed off death certificates to various creditors.

I was a bit worried about their house – none of the heirs wanted it, as the Bank of America mortgage is deep underwater. But I was specially worried as Dad had set up payment auto-withdrawal from a joint bank account at Charter One – that had both his and my name on it (my name is not on the house, just the bank account.)

I called BOA and asked to terminate the bank auto-withdrawal, and also let them know that Mom and Dad are gone, and the house was now theirs. Curious reaction to this, by the way. The rep acknowledged the deaths, but then told me he “didn’t know” what would happen next. This was probably the most honest thing a BOA rep ever told me.

I backed up this action at my bank, by closing the joint account, and filing death certificates with the bank as well.

Upon inquiry I was told that closed accounts will indeed be re-opened to pay checks. My startled response was something like “you re-open dead people’s accounts?”

Then I called BOA, and the rep swore up and down that they stopped the auto-withdrawal per my request, and that it must have been Charter One that sent them the money, unbidden!

Luckily I reclaimed my money (two weeks later) by filing a protest with Charter One. But the story doesn’t end here.

BOA has now been sending a stream of letters to my dead parents – some addressed to the estate of my Mom and Dad, but others addressed to my living parents, trying to scare them into making payments. It seems that BOA considers them as both living and dead! The letters to the estate – the letters that know they are dead – have been a bit tamer, just wanting to know why an “authorization revoked” has been placed on the bank account.

The last time I called, I tried to find out where I should send the house keys to. The rep I got at first swore that I could not have possibly sent in death certificates. Then he found them. I have no idea whether this fixed the problem or not.

But he didn’t want my house keys. He said I have to wait, and call back regularly, while they process a deed-in-lieu.

What do you think? Do I have to call BOA back “regularly” and chase this? Or just walk away? There’s no threat to the estate, Dad had no real assets when he died.

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Well, sounds like he got the money issue figured out – BOA can’t take any more money from his account.

After that, I’d honestly just let it go and let the flawed BOA machine work itself out. They’ll forclose eventually on their own.

• humphrmi says:

Agreed, once your own finances have been extracted from your parents, what’s left is between BofA and your parents estate. Unless he’s the executor, in which case there is some legal obligation to close things out. If an executor wasn’t designated in the will, then IIRC the state takes on that responsibility (although I’m not a lawyer.)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I guess I should add that this strategy may backfire if in his parents’ state a homeowner can be liable for a bank’s losses from a foreclosure sale.

Then he might want to work out a shortsale.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

Why? There are no assets in the estate for them to get.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Did the article state that? Maybe I missed it. True, if the parents have no assets, who cares.

But be sure there’s no way that BOA can go after surviving family.

• peebozi says:

that’s impossible. there’s no way to ensure a bank won’t sue anyone and everyone to get all the marbles.

• Peacock (Now In Extra Crispy) says:

IANAL, but absent any assets in the estate, debts don’t attach to the heirs. So BofA should just take the house and have done with it.

I had to settle up my parents’ estates, but thankfully, they had something to settle. My in-laws, OTOH, didn’t. That was fun.

• Phil Villakeepinitrreal says:

Er, yes, the article DID state that. “There’s no threat to the estate, Dad had no real assets when he died.”

2. BadgerPudding says:

Send the keys in the mail and be done with it.

3. hosehead says:

It really is not that complicated.

4. Rectilinear Propagation says:

They couldn’t find someone who did? I don’t expect that the front line CSRs would necessarily know how it works when a customer dies before paying off the mortgage but you’d think they’d be allowed to find someone who does and put you in contact with them.

I don’t get why or how a company as old as Bank of America doesn’t have a process in place for when their customers pass away.

• Hoss says:

The experienced bankers were laid off about 18 months ago. And so were the experienced counsel in thier legal dept

5. fantomesq says:

If he’s not the executor and his name is not on the accounts, he doesn’t have authority to make changes to the accounts including the autopayment or closing out the accounts. This should all be handled by the executor – and yes, if funds are available in the estate, they will go to pay the mortgage, even if its underwater, and any other remaining debts.

No family members would take the house without this all being closed out anyway. Sounds like the OP doesn’t understand how estates are handled after death – it is not a free for all.

• the_bursar says:

Would the estate executor be able to stop payments on the house and strategically default, the same as a living person would?

• Hoss says:

I doubt from the scenario that there is an executor. But you’re right that the son is making mistakes. He can’t give away a house or keys that aren’t his.

• Admiral_John says:

When my mother died the only assets that went to my sister and me was her pension and a small life insurance policy. She had a small home she shared with her partner (she never married him but the house was in both their names) that went to him and a joint savings account that went to him.

In my states (New York) when an estate is that small and there’s no will there’s not an executor named, but rather what they refer to as a “Voluntary Administrator”. I was responsible for notifying the appropriate business and agencies of her passing and paying the funeral expenses. In order to claim her individual bank accounts the court had to specify the account and that I was authorized to close it.

So the long-and-short is depending on the state he lives in someone was most likely named as either the executor or administrator to dispose of the few assets there were.

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

Since the autopayment was coming out of an account with his name on it, he had full rights to stop them.

6. 310Drew says:

Enjoy the free house. You have done your part and notified the creditors. It will now be at least a few years before the bank actually tries to foreclose on it, and when they finally do and realize that your father is dead it will end up in probate court which will add more time to it.

You might be looking at a free place to live for a few years.

• DariusC says:

Years? I haven’t been through that process, but from what I know, missing 3 payments (if they are extremely lenient) means they knock on your door and kick you out. I would say less than a year to live there.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

Nope. I’ve seen friends go almost four years before they had to leave in advance of a courthouse steps sale.

• Chellie says:

That was the case when the housing market was booming and the bank could resell the house at break-even or a profit. Now that prices are dropping and selling is significantly more difficult -
        not to mention in some cases no one really knows who holds the deed to a house, let alone any additional mortgage products on the property, and therefore can’t produce the necessary paperwork to legally foreclose -
        banks/investors aren’t in as much of a rush to demand the keys back. Once they take possession, they have to write down the inevitable loss on the books. Extend & pretend, baby.

• Tom Foolery says:

It depends on the state, and whether it’s a judicial foreclosure process or not. In places like New York or New Jersey, the whole process can take as much as 2 years before the sale takes place. Georgia and Texas? 2-3 months.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Enjoy the free house? In fact, I think the OP should invite all of us “Consumerist patrons” to this house for a big weekend party. You know, a kind of “meet and greet”?

We won’t tear it up that much. =)

No? Yes? Date and time.

7. tz says:

I would close the account at charter one immediately and find a credit union or another bank.

The estate is probably still open (so the house is in there and that is who owns it and is responsible for the debt). You need a lawyer that specializes in probate. I don’t think you can decide who to pay off and who not to. If they had assets (even small amounts) they might be payable to creditors. Collect any records and receipts for the closed accounts and things.

• dolemite says:

Yeah, that was my thought. Close that account and move funds to something else.

• kc2idf says:

FTFA:

To my horror, Charter One re-opened the closed bank account and paid them

• DoubleBaconVeggieBurger says:

yes, paid them from another of his accounts. tz is recommending the OP close all accounts with Charter One so they can’t grab his money again.

• coren says:

Hence cutting ties to them. They can’t take your money when you don’t have any there for them to take.

• dg says:

I agree, I’d close ALL my accounts at Charter One, and take everything to another bank. Let them debit whatever they want – you’re done. Leave the keys in the door at the house too. Have the utilities turned off, drain the water from the pipes, put some anti-freeze into the toilets and drains (sinks too). Take pictures or a video of everything you’ve done just to CYA and leave it.

Someone will figure it out soon enough. It sounds like it’s not your responsibility. You’ve sent off the death certificates, called, etc. that’s enough.

8. Remmy75 says:

The joke is always too big to fail. But it seems like its more too big to function. Seriously, these institutions are so huge nobody knows how anything works anymore. They don’t even know who to ask to find out.

• Ladybird says:

Pretty much.

I’ve been a CSR dealing with relative of a deceased customer and would usually ask the person (if they felt comfortable) to fax ME a copy of the death certificate. That way, I could patch in customer service and have the account closed while on the phone with the customer.

But then again, I wasn’t a complete noob.

9. Skankingmike says:

I’m no lawyer, but I’d burn the house down and melt the keys into a BOA symbol and mail them off to them.

10. Cameraman says:

Just set the damn house on fire, shave your head, buy a monkey, and move to Tijuana. That’s what I’d do.

My sincerest sympathies on your double loss in such a short period.

11. Pax says:

“Of course, BOA being what it is, they soon attempted to draft the closed bank account for the next mortgage payment. To my horror, Charter One re-opened the closed bank account and paid them – this account now had only my name on it, Dad’s name was removed – and they had to pull money from another of my accounts to make the payment!”

That CAN’T be legal.

12. outis says:

I just noticed the tags; it seems appropriate that BoA is now an accepted stage of grief.

13. Blueberry Scone says:

As if losing one’s parents within such a short period of time isn’t painful enough, the OP has to deal with this nonsense.

I’m really sorry. I have no advice, but you have my deepest sympathies.

14. Sneeje says:

Well, the one complicating matter is whether or not there is a will and whether or not the state has a default inheritance structure. In other words, if the house was left to him or his siblings, then they are the owners. They can’t just say they don’t want it.

• allknowingtomato says:

I am pretty sure you cannot be unilaterally given/devised a house with no say in it, against your wishes. If so, where are the stories about people giving/devising their underwater property to their enemies? if nobody wants the house, nobody wants the house and it stays in the estate. forcing an underwater house on a relative is effectively ‘giving’ debt in this situation, it should not be effective without the relative accepting the house/debt.

• tsukiotoshi says:

This is true. It falls into the estate and if they are in fact the heirs they are more than welcome to disclaim the inheritance. Nobody can be forced to receive an inheritance, especially one that comes with mortgage payments.

15. A Pimp Named DaveR says:

The OP doesn’t understand how estates work. The estate isn’t a person per se — it’s a transitional quasi-person used to transfer property to the heirs and beneficiaries of the decedent.

The OP is wrong in saying that it’s “the bank’s house now”. No, it’s not. It’s the property of the heirs, and the mortgage/mortgage loan attached to the property will follow it. You didn’t say whether there’s an executor handling the estate, OP, or whether the estate had been finally probated and closed yet, but I’m guessing that it hasn’t.

Assuming it hasn’t been closed, the executor/administrator does NOT necessarily have an obligation to pay off the mortgage loan prior to closing the estate. They certainly can, but they don’t HAVE to. And if they don’t, the debt effectively gets passed to the heirs along with the house. So assuming your parents died intestate, and assuming you have three brothers and sisters, under the rules in virtually all states the four of you would received the encumbered property in equal 25% shares — you’d all have a quarter of the house, subject to the mortgage (the lien, not the loan) on it. You wouldn’t become personally liable on the loan portion unless you consented to it, and the bank agreed to the assignment of the debt. Assuming none of you wanted liability on the loan (which, if the loan is underwater, none of you should), the bank will almost certainly accelerate the loan and foreclose.

In any event, this is something the executor should deal with. If you’re the executor… you should deal with it. And you’re probably not going to be able to close the estate unless you reach some settlement with the bank, so you should chase it.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

It only goes to the heirs if it was left to them.

• A Pimp Named DaveR says:

Or if it’s part of the residual property of the estate subject to a equal distribution catch-all clause, or if the parents died intestate, or if the specific heir disclaimed the inheritence…..

• Difdi says:

So if I go deep into the red on a loan, write you into my will as receiving the item that is collateral for the debt, then die…would you suddenly, out of the blue, get a nasty phone call from the bank? How can that be legal?

• JuanHunt says:

Maybe the will says “the house goes back to the bank”.

• jnads says:

Debt doesn’t follow you past death. Nor does it follow your heirs.

It follows your estate, a pseudo-entity. Your creditors are paid from your estate FIRST. The rest is given to the heirs IF THEY WANT IT (and pay inheritance tax), otherwise the estate becomes property of the state. The house would be foreclosed.

• Apeweek says:

OP here. Actually, I did consult with a lawyer as this whole thing started. His advice was not to even open an estate, since there were no investments or bank accounts with only his name on them, no car, and the house had no equity.

So I’m not the estate administrator – but I am trying to tidy things up anyway.

16. Hoss says:

I’m concerned that this will become a yet larger issue. Hire a lawyer ASAP. See if the lawyer can play off their mistakes (unauthorized withdrawals, etc) for some small fee

• jnads says:

Yes, RUN, don’t walk, to a lawyer.

The fact that your father’s name is on that account means he had an estate. You should dig up proof that the money in there was yours. Otherwise, part of it could go to the bank.

The bank, being a creditor to the estate, gets first dibs at the estates assets. The heirs gets whatever is left, if they want it, or it gets turned over to the state. In which case, the house would be foreclosed.

17. Frankz says:

@Pimp has it right.
    The house does NOT automatically go back to the bank, nor is it supposed to.
    The mortgage is a legal debt that is now owed by the estate. Creditors CAN file leins against the estate. This is where you need a lawyer. Depending on your state’s law, that debt may or may not pass on to the heirs, but sort of indirectly. Estate law is very complicated, hence the need for a lawyer.
    Trying not to follow this part of estate law, can screw up other parts of probating the will.

18. Frankz says:

House keys mean absolutely nothing.
    Even if the bank does assume possession of the house, they still have to go thru their regular foreclosure procedure, which always entails changing all the locks on the house. Even if you’re standing there and hand them the keys in person, they will just throw them away and still change the locks.

19. peebozi says:

this is because corporations don’t die naturally.

20. Ben says:

Sounds like what happened to Schrodinger’s parents.

21. Hoss says:

This gets easier to understand if you envision that the dad hit the lottery for millions years ago and secretly started another life with his secretary. There may be substantial assets and other heirs out there. The legal process needs to play through, and it’s not the bank’s responsibility to take charge of that.

22. Mock says:

I suggest you first contact BofA and demand a copy of the original bank note for the house. That will clear up who owes what.

Additionally, if they are unable to produce the note, you could be in the lucky position to contest the mortgage. There have been many recent cases of people walking away with the property free and clear when the bank could not prove the actual loan existed.

First, consult with an attorney.

23. Juhgail says:

First, deepest sympathy on your loss.
    Second, send the keys (Jingle mail) to the ceo with a return recipt, certified.

Tell him your story. You will get someone to do something,

24. Amy Alkon says:

Nereida.Claudius@bankofamerica.com is a high-level customer service rep there. Of course, she fired me as a customer for complaining that BofA, on seven separate occasions, gave my money to thieves with ONLY a fake ID in my name (no bankcard, no PIN, no signature check), but she’s at least above the level of the ordinary powerless types there.

Personally, after what I learned after an investigation of the BofA’s “security,” (I have reportorial skills), I would sooner store my money in a mason jar buried in my backyard than in Bank of America. I now bank at a small community bank where, when you call the 1800 line, they know the guy in the bank who helps you, and sometimes go skiing with him. And they’re nice to you and solve their problems.

25. Amy Alkon says:

Your problems, that is.

26. G. G. says:

I hate agreeing with banks especially BoA but the fact of the matter is that the OPs parents were deadbeats (not speaking ill of the dead just relaying the facts). They lived in a house whose mortgage was more than the value and unfortunately died with no money available to pay off their obligation. Yes all debt is an obligation. Being consumer friendly does not meet sticking it to man (BoA in this case) and not paying your obligations. BoA has the right to do what they can legally to get whatever money they can get…. Sorry that this is causing you trouble though.

• Abradax says:

They have the right to get money from the estate of the parents. Not the people they left behind.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

First of all, I’m sick of this trend of calling people “deadbeats”. You have no idea what the circumstances are, and if you were to suddenly become catastrophically ill, or have a child do so, or lose your job without hope of a new one, or any one of a long list of things, you might suddenly be unable to meet your obligations. This would not make you a “deadbeat”.

Second of all, the bank has the right to do what they legally can do to collect. This includes taking possession of the house itself. Which is what they should do.

• ghostfire says:

A) Dying can be extremely expensive. Even if the parents did have assets prior to their deaths, that could easily have been sucked away by the tens of thousands of dollars for medical bills.

B) His parents did not make the property value decline.

• Hoss says:

Leveraging one’s worth at age 25 or 75 is an identical financial transaction. Whether it’s Donald Trump or Joe Sixpack, it’s the same transaction. Banks take risks which they strategically seek to get using advertisements and sales agents.

The use of “deadbeats” is typically a great semi-elitist term in times of despair. But in this case the scenario was as normal in 1999 as in the struggling times of 2010. In other words, FU

• JMILLER says:

It never said they are behind on the payment. BOA (or whoever wrote the mortgage) had the house appraised as a SECURED debt in exchange for the loan. If the debt is not paid, the bank is allowed to take the house back. That my friend is NOT a deadbeat. If I have a mortgage that I owe $200k on, and I am 30 years old. My house has declined in value to $150k. If I die tomorrow, how is it I am a deadbeat if I was not behind on the mortgage payment. Sorry I can no longer collect my paycheck, since my company does not send checks to DEAD PEOPLE.
      Go away troll.

27. Clyde Barrow says:

This shows you that banks are past desparate but dying. They’re killing themselves off slowly and they made their own beds.

I think the folks that work at banks these days are the like the living dead. They probably have lawyers and policy makers constantly browbeating the employees into a deeper hole of submission in fear of losing their jobs by having to say anything to customers just to avoid the inevitable.

As one article that I have recently read from another news source, a large percentage of employees are leaving their jobs once the economy improves. And if you have a degree, your more apt to find a new job when the time comes.

28. DanKelley98 says:

I would have no further contact with them. IMHO, they appear to be so screwed up, they can’t be trusted with money from people who are alive.

29. H3ion says:

The OP doesn’t mention whether there is a probate proceeding going on or whether an executor/adminstrator has been appointed. State law will govern whether a probate has to be filed at all but I would bet that where there’s real estate involved, some procedure would be necessary. In a no-asset situation, a probate may not be required but if there is a will(s), the OP should check with the local probate court to find out the rules on filing the will. Second, the bank mentioned a deed in lieu. I don’t know who would have authority to execute such a deed if there is no executor. I would consult a lawyer but I would also write the bank, return receipt requested, that the owners have died, that there are no other assets available, and offering to cooperate in vesting title in the bank. They may actually have to go through a full foreclosure proceeding if there is no one who can execute a deed.

30. dougp26364 says:

This is where a good probate attorney comes in handy. To many people try to settle an estate themselves rather than allowing a pro to handle the details. Then they end up all mad when something like this happens.

31. DeadFlorist says:

I think you have it backwards. B of A is the deadbeat, or did I just imagine all the bailout dollars it got when its financial planning turned out to be poor? The OP’s parents, as taxpayers, are just posthumously cashing in their counter-loan to B of A.

32. CathyMoran says:

Title on a parcel of encumbered property remains in the title holders until there is a foreclosure sale or other formal transfer of title. In such situations I advise my clients to maintain public liability insurance so that other assets are not endangered by claims arising from injury on the property.

33. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Put your bank account with another bank, send in the keys and walk away. You’ve done your part. You owe them nothing more.

34. EcPercy says:

Why are you calling them? WRITE A LETTER!!! Send the letter certified with return receipt. Looks like you got the money part taken care of for now, but I would still send the letter with the death certificates and tell them (keep it civil) that they better get their act together or you will get a lawyer.

As for taking money out of a closed account. I am not sure how that is even possible, but I am glad your bank took care of that one.

35. Sam says:

When something like this happens, I immediately find who is the resident agent and/or the corporation’s general counsel and notified them via certified mail (and write “CERTIFIED MAIL” in the letter in case the envelope separates from the letter). You have now legally notified the entity. When need to, I can go further and threaten the attorney (when mailing to the general counsel) that I will file attorney grievance within the state if they continue to act “stupid” such as not respond to my letter (if I requested) and/or act “stupid.” I find this work the majority of the time and it “cuts to the chase” of the issue. I might have to “sprinkle” small claims court threat every once in a while. I did learn something new in this article – banks do have a way of stealing your money after you close your bank account, and for me, that means I will have to go to a new bank.

Overall, I find writing to the general counsel and/or resident agent usually gets the point across in “no time.” Lawyers can lose their license (or you can make their life miserable through grievance) if they act unprofessional. I’ve done this a few times. This also include government entities.

This was a very interesting case. Thank you for sharing.
    Sam

36. Rob says:

Thew OP should speak with the law firm that handled his parents will. If they didn’t have a will, then he should contact an estate attorney. Probating a deceased persons property is far more complicated than telling a bank to take the house. Each state has different probate laws.

37. Turnitup says:

My wife is experiencing an eerily similar situation with PNC Mortgage. She’s tried for months to get PNC Mortgage to accept the facts that (1) her father, the debtor, passed away 18 months ago, (2) his estate is insolvent, and (3) none of the heirs want the property and that they (PNC Mortgage) may take possession of the property.
    PNC Mortgage, in what one can only assume is a classic case of denial, has responded by offering modified terms to the mortgage (to my deceased father-in-law), thinly veiled threats of credit history devastation, and, occasionally, surprise and confusion.
    While PNC can’t remove any money from the estate (there isn’t any), the persistent phone calls (up to five a day) are getting old.

38. CFinWV says:

We wrote a lot of checks when my Dad passed, the one paying the estate lawyer was well worth it. It sounds like you need professional help here.

39. Hands says:

…they had to pull money from another of my accounts to make the payment!

To me, that’s a variation of a bank robbery. I’d call the cops and have the branch manager arrested.

40. isileth says:

In Italy it’s better.
    When you are old and you are collecting your pension, you must present a certificate of “existence in life”.
    i.e. you must have someone stating that you are still alive and kicking.

41. phallusu says:

Bank of America is not a state chartered bank, but national and complaints should be directed to (online available) The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

http://www.occ.treas.gov/customer.htm & for more infor/help

I would consider filing against Charter One – they have made it obvious THEY will do what they want with YOUR money.

42. Puddy Tat says:

Rent the place out on a month by month basis and collect some $$$ this will pay for your time that you have to take to call them.

43. Danny says:

I bought my house through Contrywide, and in 2007 lost my job, and could not pay my mortgage.
    Countrywide started the court proceeding against me, and I got a lawyer to stop these proceeding and let me do a short sale. That’s when BOA bought countrywide, and the first couple who fell in love with this house waited 15 months for BOA to move on it. After 15 months the nice people gave up, and got a home elsewhere. Not too long after, another nice lady wanted the house, the bank agreed to her offer, and she wanted to pay it in CASH, again the bank played with it for about 10 months, and the lady gave up, and went elsewhere. Now the bank is going to put the house for sale in public auction, which at this time will not give them what they could have gotten 2 years ago.
    BOA is THE worst bank there is. After this is all done I will never ever have anything to do with this outfit of misfits.

44. andycash says:

When my mother died I went to Surragate Court and was made the executor of her estate. I opened an account in my town and have kept it active until now to handle a few financial estate issues each year. About 5 banks folded at that location and BofA assumed all of our accounts and we continued banking there for many years. I went in yesterday to deposit checks and was told that I didn’t have access to that account and that I’d need to prove I was the executor – again. OK(strange), I went back to look for my Surrogate Certificate without luck and BofA is asking me resubmit all this documentation again – that’s from 15 years ago. They seem to have suddenly lost any record of this being an estate account and have locked up the money in it since now only my mother’s name is valid. I have to go out of state to get these docs. Could be worst you’re thinking, and may become so. My question is: Do you think Julian Assange &/or Anonymous is at work here? Any one else missing records?

45. andycash says:

Anyone missing their history in their B of A account? Especially in an Estate Account where the executor’s name is wiped from the account and you can’t access/desposit the funds of ,say, your mother’s estate?