13 Brands Of Eggs Recalled For Possible Salmonella Contamination

Hey, before you crack that egg into your morning hair-of-the-dog, you might want to take a look at the brand on the carton. An egg producer in Iowa has issued a massive recall that affects 13 brands of chicken eggs sold nationwide for fear they might be tainted with salmonella.

The brands of eggs included in the recall are:
Lucerne
Albertson
Mountain Dairy
Ralph’s
Boomsma’s
Sunshine
Hillandale
Trafficanda
Farm Fresh
Shoreland
Lund
Dutch Farms
Kemps

The recalled eggs are packed in varying sizes of cartons (6-egg cartons, dozen egg cartons, 18-egg cartons). You can find out if your eggs are among those recalled by looking at the side of the package. The four-digit number following the “P” on the bottom line is the plant code. The affected eggs are from plant numbers are 1026, 1413 and 1946. Following the plant code is a 3-digit date code. The date codes for the recalled eggs range from 136 to 225. For example, the image at the top has the code P 1946 223, meaning those eggs have been recalled.

If you are the owner of recalled eggs, you should not eat them but should return them immediately to the store for a full refund.

Wright County Egg Conducts Nationwide Voluntary Recalls of Shell Eggs Because of Possible Health Risk [FDA]

Comments

1. The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

Mmm. Tasty salmonella.

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m guessing that some of those are store brands as well, or is Albertson eggs not the same as Albertson’s grocery store brand? I don’t have an Albertson’s, it’s just the only name I recognize as also being a grocer’s name. I know Lucerne is sold in Safeway.

3. nucwin83 says:

Wonderful, I just made tuna salad last night with possibly tainted eggs. This should be interesting.

4. denros says:

Just finished a dozen cage-free Hillandale eggs, because I couldn’t get my usual brand (Phil’s). Anyone know if they were included in the recall? I threw out the box about a week ago.

5. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

This makes me happy, I just got my first dozen of farm-fresh eggs from the 12 year old kid down the street. Woot :)

6. HogwartsProfessor says:

I’ve been getting farm eggs (REAL farm eggs) from a local person through a coworker. They taste much better.

My ex and I used to raise chickens. They ran freely around all day eating grass and bugs and grain and fresh water and then went to sleep in their house at night. We ate eggs taken right out from under them and never ever got sick. I wish we could have our food produced like that again. These outbreaks don’t seem to affect the small producers as much as the large, conglomerated food factory places. Probably because the chickens are healthier and not pumped full of antibiotics and kept out of the sun all day eating each others’ poo.

• Leksi Wit says:

Also, my local Whole Foods sells local eggs. The brands listed in the article all probably have the same mega-farm source.

• Aesteval says:

If you’re really interested in stuff like that, give “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” by Michael Pollan a try. There’s a couple chapters in there that provides some interesting discussions over what animals eat, what animals are forced to eat, and how it may influence the food products from those animals.

7. ElleAnn says:

Anyone know whether these are all regular white eggs or if organic/ brown eggs are included?

• RookOmega says:

If they are in that batch listed above – pull em.

• kerrington.steele says:

the color of an egg is determined by the species / breed of chicken that produced it and has nothing to do with how that chicken was raised or bred. not all brown eggs are “organic” and vice versa, so you should definitely go with the recalled lot numbers and NOT by the appearance of the eggs.

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Could someone explain how salmonella get inside the egg?

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

It has everything to do with the general health of the animals from birth to death.
      They are penned up, standing in their shit all day, eating their shit probably too. Each bird is in a cage about the size of their body (imagine if you were sitting indian style all day long with about 1″ of clearance on each side of you and that was it.) Cage free is no better, they just have their beaks burnt off so they can’t peck each other to death.

• denros says:

very true; tainted eggs only come from sick chickens. which is why I only buy cage free, vegetarian-fed eggs, and local farm-fresh when possible

• RookOmega says:

You can still get tainted eggs from your type of chickens.

They do not have to be sick! They merely have to walk in their own feces, which salmonella can live in, lay on the eggs, and infect them.

If the farm didn’t follow cleaning procedures, or handling, you can get bad eggs, no matter the source.

With that said, larger farms invite more eggs getting zapped this way.

• denros says:

Yeah it’s still possible – but less likely. There’s a margin of risk in any egg – it’s just smaller in cage free because, like others have noted, chickens aren’t packed next to each other where one getting sick means the 5 more surrounding it also get sick.

• xxmichaelxx says:

Handling procedures are more important than how the chickens are raised/stored/killed. There are good reasons to buy free-range stuff (morality, taste, CERTAIN diseases), but salmonella ain’t one of them.

• perruptor says:

Even worse, the egg factories stack the cages up on top of each other. It must really suck to be the bottom chicken.

• RookOmega says:

The salmonella is the feces, chickens lay on the eggs, and the salmonella can get past the shell into the egg.

Once it gets to the yolk – fun time – multiplies – etc…

• aquanetta says:

The chicken doesn’t have to sit on & step all over the egg to get salmonella on the shell.

1. The chicken poop & egg come out of the same hole, not usually at the same time.
      2. Chickens can have salmonella and not act sick at all, and the oviduct can be infected, so the salmonella gets on the egg before the shell even forms.

9. joe says:

i’ve read repeatedly, from numerous sources over the past 10+ years that 1 in 3 eggs (and most raw chicken) has salmonella. so either that factoid is false, or this is a pointless recall.

anyone know which is true?

• RookOmega says:

Never heard of that one – but any food product can carry bacteria that is bad for you – so it’s all in the preparation and following the proper food handling techniques.

• denros says:

only if you mean 3 x 10^4

(that’s one in 30,000 for those of you too lazy to click the link or remember scientific notation)

Those aren’t your chances of getting sick, either. Most healthy individuals’ immune systems will fight it off before they get sick, and even then, most cases of salmonella are due to mishandled / undercooked eggs. Personally, I eat cage free eggs raw in my morning shakes every day and haven’t had a problem with it, ever.

• BrianneG says:

I think you mean 3 x 10^-4 or 3E-4. That’s one in 30,000. With a positve four then it’s simply 30,000, not one in 30,000.

Your scientific notation fun fact of the day.

• denros says:

Technically that’s right but I was actually just trying to say 30,000, since the “one in…” part wasn’t incorrect, just the 3 part.

10. momtimestwo says:

I wish my HOA would let me have a few chickens in my backyard. Not a lot, just 2. If my neighbors can have 4 dogs and a yard full of stinky, nasty dog poo, I should be able to have 2 chickens. They tried to pass a Nashville law that would allow homeowners to have 2 chickens, but it got knocked down.

11. RookOmega says:

If you properly prepared your eggs (not benedict for example) – you won’t have much to worry from this.

Hard fry them, the yolk should not be runny – that should be enough to kill the bacteria.

It doesn’t matter if the chickens are on a small farm or large one, caged or range free, if they get the bacteria in the feces, or even get their ovaries infected (which will infect the eggs from the get go) – you will have bad eggs.

Factory farms just have the ability to infect a lot more eggs at one time, and the chance of spreading it to multiple chickens.

But it would be best to buy from a small farm – they seem to taste better to me.

• c_c says:

Yea, but then what’s the point of eating the egg? Runny yolk is the best part. I’ve made it this far w/o dying from a soft-cooked egg, I think I’ll just have to keep risking it.

• failurate says:

You win some, you lose some. I am not willing to part with runny yolks. Runny yolk + toast is proof that God likes us and wants us to have a good time while we are here.

Is there any benefit to buying “premium” eggs like Eggland’s Best? Maybe it is worth an extra buck if one of their processes reduces the odds of contamination.

• lemortede says:

“Runny yolk + toast is proof that God likes us and wants us to have a good time while we are here.”

QFT

12. Slave For Turtles says:

I read that the salmonella reports were from June and July, so chances are that most all these eggs have already been consumed. I understand that epidemiology takes time, but sheesh — it’s mid-August, right? Just wondering, but is this a normal length of time?

13. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I lay my own eggs at home. Only takes 5 minutes a day and some sweating.

• Slave For Turtles says:

Note to self: Volunteer to bring the deviled eggs at the next Consumerist potluck before SteveDave does…

14. Matzoball says:

Just as an FYI. As long as you handle the eggs appropriately. Meaning cook them and wash your hands you really are not at risk to this. But out of an abundance of caution you should still destroy the eggs.

You should be safe if you buy specialty eggs. These might be listed as Omega 3, Organic, Cage Free..etc sold under both store brand or name brand labels.

15. dg says:

Did any of these make it into any batches of raw cookie dough?

16. DanGarion says:

If your date code is 136 you might have more to worry about besides salmonella. :)

17. DanGarion says:

If you eggs were cooked you should for the most part be safe. Unless you like your yolks runny, then the yolks on you.

18. u1itn0w2day says:

Everyone seems to forget history I remember out breaks of this in the 90s and them telling you the same things including if you COOK them ,cook them well. The same could be said for alot of under cooked meats-that’s why many restaurants reserve the right NOT to undercook their food. If you like things runny you are s o l in more ways than one .

I scramble or hard boil eggs, I have never really bothered with dates, I go by look or smell and have never had a problem.