Mom Sues NYC Chocolate Shop Over Breastfeeding Argument

Bringing together two of our favorite topics — lawsuits and chocolate — a new mom in New York City has filed a lawsuit against the chocolate store she says gave her the boot for attempting to nurse her child.

The mom claims that she and her friend — also the mother of an infant — were at Lily O’Brien’s Chocolate Cafe in Midtown Manhattan last summer when both of their children needed to be fed.

According to the suit:
“[The moms] began nursing their hungry and tired toddlers… and positioned [them] with their heads toward their respective bodies… No part of either the plaintiff’s nor [her friend’s] nipples were exposed.”

That’s when the cafe manager approached them and allegedly told the moms to “stop doing that.”

She claims that, because of the incident, she has suffered “severe embarrasment, severe shame, severe humiliation, severe emotional distress and loss of dignity” and has been “unable to breast-feed her child in places of public accommodation, as her experience at O’Brien’s has left her feeling inhibited from nursing her child. These feelings of inhibition result in severe anxiety whenever [the plaintiff] contemplates nursing her child outside the privacy of her home.”

The store’s manager says the employee at question did not tell the moms to leave, but merely asked them to cover up more while nursing. “Certainly no one was ever thrown out of our cafe for breastfeeding,” he said.

For what it’s worth, the law in the state of New York allows permits a mother to breastfeed her child in any public or private location. Click here to see a detailed list of nursing laws in all states.

Mom said she was booted from Midtown chocolate shop for breastfeeding her baby [NY Post]

PREVIOUSLY:
Coffee Shop Owner Uses Twitter To Ban Breastfeeding In His Store, Seems Surprised By Reaction
Breastfeeding Moms Protest Johnny Rockets
Target Calls Cops On Breastfeeding Shoppers
IKEA Sends Mother And Infant To Bathroom To Breastfeed

Comments

1. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

She’s already bred. It’s too late.

2. pop top says:

The article over at Jezebel has a quote from the manager saying that the moms were kicked out because the male customers wouldn’t stop staring. Shouldn’t the men have been kicked out in that case? And how skeezy do you have to be to stare at a breastfeeding woman?

(In before the terms “funbags, “whipping [them] out” and “flapping”. Let’s try to keep the debate mature folks…)

• travel_nut says:

No, sorry, mention boobs and the maturity of ~50% of commenters goes out the window.

• ilves says:

They might not be starting due to being weirdos, some people might not be comfortable with it and not know how to deal with it, which could turn into unintentional creepiness.

• Griking says:

If they want privacy then they shouldn’t be doing that shit in public.

If you decide to nurse your kids in public men ARE going to look.

I’m sorry but you can’t have it both ways.

• DariusC says:

Agreed, I say that everyone in public stare at someone nursing and eventually that lady will get used to it… (You have to read the comment about everyone breastfeeding in public and eventually we will get used to it).

• shawnamuffin says:

Nothing in that story said that the nursing women were uncomfortable with people watching them.

• Leksi Wit says:

Nursing makes me uncomfortable too, but because it is much better for the baby to be nursed and babies require constant feeding, I tolerate with civility for the betterment of society. The jerks who just ogled these women for nurturing their children are royal douchebags. I hope she wins the lawsuit to serve as a stern lesson in the state of NY.

• ngwoo says:

She probably shouldn’t have whipped out her flapping funbags.

3. pantheonoutcast says:

Can we get through this article without someone making an analogy to urinating or masturbating in public? Please? It’s a stupid argument.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That’s never going to happen.

• Marshmelly says:

buk110 down there apparently missed reading your comment.

• Ladybird says:

God I wish.

Love your comments, btw.

• chefboyardee says:

Love this comment. Wish it were possible :(

• Twonkey says:

I would have posted a response earlier, but I was out in public masturbating while being urinated on.

• xredgambit says:

Wait, you mean I can masturbate in public? That is awesome. Wait it is compairing masturbating in public to breastfeeding. That isn’t the same. Last time I checked breastfeeding is done until the baby is finished eating. Also the mom’s aren’t making in o face. Masturbating is for 30sec-1min. So it’s not a vaild argument.

• runswithscissors says:

BREASTFEEDING A BABY IZ NO DIFFERENT FROM POOPING IN YER HANDS AN SMEERING IT ALL OVER BYSTANDERS!1!!! BOTH ARE BODY FUNCTIONZ!!!!

4. Cantras says:

Headline says baby, article says kids, at one point references a 5 m/o, but also references kids “demanding food” and the suit says toddler.

/copy editor twitch

5. travel_nut says:

It says her nipple wasn’t showing, but how much of her breast WAS?

I breastfeed in public regularly (I know, I’m going to get flamed now) but there is never a single square millimeter of boob showing. Neither is any of my stomach showing. I’m 100% covered at all times, from the neckline of my shirt down to the hem of my pants. Why don’t more breastfeeding mothers do this? I think if everyone breastfed in this same way, no one would have any reason to prohibit it.

• xxmichaelxx says:

Why don’t all women wear burkhas? Then we’d never have this problem. Not everyone shares your prurience.

In California — where you can breastfeed anywhere at any time — she’d be looking at a hefty payday just for being asked to leave, without this ridiculous “I feel shame” foolishness.

• WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

She’s exagerating for the sake of a payday, but the simple fact is, breastfeeding mothers ARE shamed in this country. It’s sad.

• travel_nut says:

There’s a big difference between wearing a burkha and avoiding flashing people. There’s no reason whatsoever to display your boobs while bf’ing.

And I’m not saying I’m a prude. I wear low-cut shirts sometimes. But the fact of it is, when you’re flashing your boob around while bf’ing, it leads to situations like this. It’s perfectly possible (and easy) to bf without flashing boob, so why don’t more women avoid it?

• CarWontGo says:

“And I’m not saying I’m a prude…. But the fact of it is, when you’re flashing your boob around while bf’ing, it leads to situations like this”

@travel_nut: The Taliban just called to point out that in their society, when a woman is flashing her ankles, wrists, or the skin of her neck, it can also lead to “situations like this”. But they did want to pass on their thanks for adapting their line of reasoning to American culture.

• Chumas says:

i think Mikey needs a break, he’s thinking too frakkin hard.
      Thank you fo being human and breastfeeding your child than to use formulas, etc. You’re giving your kid a leg up with antibodies, antigens and other good things we were designed to have. Kudos. :)

@Mikey
      Buddy, you’re an idiot. Unless I missed the sarcasm font. Than I appologize.
      Being covered isn’t the same as wearing a hijab or a burqha. It’s called wearing clothing that covers the body, looks nice and isn’t showing off as much skin as Snooki when she’s drunk and bent over a garbage can.

• joe23521 says:

The real reason she got tossed was for bringing her own food into a cafe.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Look at some of the hoochy-mama shirts girls wear; there’s WAY more boob showing than anyone I’ve ever seen bfeeding and they don’t get kicked out!

• shawnamuffin says:

It’s great for you that you cover yourself up completely.

But that doesn’t mean everyone should have to be that vigilant for it not to be considered obscenity/public nudity.

Again, good for you, but it just sounds like you want a “thank you” from us. But if we applaud your actions, then we lose ground for having the right to breastfeed publicly. There should be no conditions for breastfeeding.

6. buk110 says:

Listen, if you’re going to whip out your funbags I don’t want to hear you complain if someone is offended or better yet is staring at you while you do it.

There are rest rooms and other places you can go and do this. Don’t do it in front of people while they are trying to it. I use the rest room when I want to urinate or defecate, so take your other bodily functions there as well.

• pop top says:

How is feeding a baby the same as urinating?

• BadgerPudding says:

Here’s a simple solution: bring a bottle with breast milk or formula if you plan on going out with your kid for an extended period of time. Or use a restroom.

Why does the whole world have to accommodate your kid’s meal?

• harryhoody says:

Sorry BadgerPudding, many moms choose to breastfeed exclusively, and a mom that is breastfeeding in public is probably a staunch supporter of breastfeeding, and would never use a bottle anyway.

• RvLeshrac says:

Then I never again want to hear someone complain about the “difficulty” of being a working mother, since we’re all agreed that these things are choices.

The real issue is that a business-owner can’t choose what behaviour to allow in their business. If you don’t like the owner’s policy, you’re perfectly free to shop at any of the similar businesses in the area. No one forced her to go into this shop when she knew she was going to have to breastfeed her child.

I have nothing against breastfeeding in public, but I also believe that the owner of the business should be the one who decides whether or not it is allowed in their shop.

• qualia says:

The “policy” is against the law, idiot. Nobody’s forcing them to open a shop if they can’t handle it.

• Marshmelly says:

I’m sorry, but how is the whole world “accommodating” her? They can go about their business doing whatever it is that they’re doing…it doesn’t have to be made into an issue.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Or, here’s a thought. Do the thing that nature intended. Feeding your kid straight from the tap when requested by your infant.

• lockdog says:

As the husband of a wife who breastfeeds our child, it’s not really that simple. While yes, our son bottle feeds and that covers his needs, that doesn’t work out so well for Mom. When she delays or skips a feeding her breast become extremely painfully engorged. If ignored long enough it can become difficult for the child to latch on, so the child can’t nurse successfully even if given the time. Of course this just makes things worse, it is surprising how quickly this can go from painful and annoying to mastitis, a dangerous infection of the milk producing tissue that is life threatening for both mother and child. Generally, its a whole lot easier to just nurse discreetly. Of course, as the child gets older that gets more difficult. He or she probably isn’t going to want to be covered by a blanket at it’s likely to get kicked off. Personally, I think my son just likes to show off!

• Ce J says:

You obviously know nothing about pumping or nursing. I’ll spare you the details and just leave it like this. It’s not that easy. It is hard to pump and giving a bottle when you would otherwise be nursing hurts the mom’s milk supply.

In addition to the milk supply issues, many, if not most, breastfeeding mothers would not want their child to have formula. I wouldn’t give it to my kids.

• Anonymously says:

1) The both involve expressing fluids from your body in a turbulent flow from erectile tissue.

2) Ignoring the urge to express said fluids can lead to discomfort.

3) Both fluids come from body parts which are considered taboo to expose in public.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Congratulations: you made every possible illogical, stupid and offensive argument all in one post.

I’m going to assume, for the sake of your intelligence, that this was an enumeration of said arguments with the intent of being sarcastic. Yes?

• buk110 says:

Basically I was hoping I could get some outrage but you’re apparently smarter than the average bear.

Figured if we got all the nonsense out of the way the discussion could move to other things. Like why I don’t tip, why small children shouldn’t be on airlines, and whatever hot topic issues are at the forefront.

• pantheonoutcast says:

I think this week we’re bashing Jesus and California.

• buk110 says:

Oh nice.

As a former California resident and a former Catholic that went to Catholic School for a while, these are topics that interest me.

I’d like to take a moment to say Sacramento is a place that God forgot. The only good thing to come out of that waste land was In-N-Out.

• Egat says:

And In-N-Out came out of Southern California!

• Peacock (Now In Extra Crispy) says:

The owner of In ‘N’ Out is a Jesus freak who sneaks in Bible verse references on the bottom insides of the drink cups. Does that count for anything?

• DarthCoven says:

I make my own Jesus at home

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Why are you against public breastfeeding, Dude? What’s wrong with you? It is healthy and natural and nurturing. Besides, I like to watch those plump, post-prego breasts being sucked hard.

• runswithscissors says:

This one post is like the trifecta of illogical, immature anti-breastfeeding “arguments”. I like how you managed to cram them all in there!

I think all you missed was the word “flapping” for the ultimate quadruple jerk score.

• snarkymarcy says:

Sure, you go eat your meals in a public restroom first.

• zekebullseye says:

This is such an obvious troll. Don’t feed the trolls, it just encourages them.

7. BadgerPudding says:

Looks like nothing more than a cash grab.

“severe emotional distress and lack of dignity”? Are you serious?

• Dover says:

This. Shame on the store for their handling of this issue, shame on the moms for this ridiculous lawsuit.

• CoachTabe says:

Make that “severe” shame on the moms for at least the wording of their lawsuit. Somehow I doubt that anything they felt was actually “severe”.

They might have a basis for a lawsuit but they are certainly “severely” exaggerating the severity of their damages.

8. Doubts42 says:

OK here is my humble opinion.
    breastfeeding is perfectly natural and OK just about anywhere where sanitary conditions do not make it bad for the mother and/or child. However, this woman is a money grubbing parasite looking to make her fortune from one rather mild customer service encounter.

9. Sunflower1970 says:

A toddler…? How old were these kids? I usually think of a baby — under 12 mos — breastfeeding…not much older than that…

• pop top says:

It’s becoming more and more common for women to breastfeed their child to two or even three years of age. I don’t think the age of the kid really matters here though. If the mom was kicked out for breastfeeding, then the manager broke the law.

• roguemarvel says:

Its only really in the US that the norm is to stop breastfeeding at or before 1 year of age. My husband and I have actually had mini arguments about it since I know its recommended to go to two but my husband thinks 18 months is more then long enough.

• haggis for the soul says:

Once they get to be about a year old and the teeth start coming in, the issue kind of resolves itself.

• Jfielder says:

That’s what I was thinking….

• WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

Dr.s recomend breast feeding until at least 2.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

What’s your stance on 5, 6 and 7? I’ve seen a child old enough to request his mother’s breast, then, when she was busy shopping, just reach up from the cart, undo her clothes, grab it and start nursing.

• KAnne123 says:

I knew a lady who was still breast feeding her son who was around 4. They’d be out in public and he’d say “Mommy, I’m thirsty. Give me the titty.”

*Shudders* How creepy. They were otherwise very normal, nice people.

• craptastico says:

i have a question for those that are vehemently pro breastfeeding in public. does anyone really think this lady should be sued for this? she’d likely have to close her business, and that’s certainly not helping anybody except for this money grubbing whore.

• travel_nut says:

I breastfeed in public all the time, and I support any mother’s right to do so. I also do it discreetly. No, I don’t think the shop owner should be sued. The owner merely asked the woman to cover up a little. Legally, the mother doesn’t have to. Just like legally, the owner doesn’t have to serve her.

• pantheonoutcast says:

That’s pretty much the best argument.

Everything that everyone does should be discreet, whether it be breastfeeding, talking on a cell phone, praying, whatever. Yes, you have the right. But no one is really interested in you flaunting your rights for the sake of having them. Just do them and move on.

• Beeker26 says:

Yes, in a perfect world this would be best. Unfortunately these laws don’t provide for any kind of “discretion clause”, basically giving breastfeeding women carte blanche to do it anywhere, anytime, and in any manner they see fit, even if it’s rude, crass, or otherwise obscene. I don’t have a problem with breastfeeding in public if it’s done discretely. It’s when it’s NOT that I have problems, especially since there isn’t anything anyone can do about it except leave. And if I’m paying for a meal why should *I* have to leave because of someone else’s “protected” bad behavior?

• Conformist138 says:

If they were doing anything truly crass or obscene, they wouldn’t be just breastfeeding anymore. By definition, taking my breast out of my bra is not obscene, or no more obscene than a man removing his shirt. Yes, I have two fatty glands hanging from my chest, but there’s no other difference. Some men have moobies, but they don’t have to put on a bra and cover up. Some men have nice muscular chests and they’re sexually arousing, but they don’t have to cover up. My chest has an actual function that allows me to keep providing life to the small person my body is capable of growing, something men cannot claim. They can bare their chests just for fun by choice, but when a woman has an actual function for hers, it’s automatically obscene. Well, you know what I think is obscene? Some 350lb guy in overalls with no shirt wandering around walmart with his flab tits and nipples the size of dinner plates all out on display.

The fact is that the female nipple is not a WMD, no one will be hurt by seeing it, and like the nasty rednecks in overalls, if you don’t like it, look away. We need to stop blaming other people for our own lack of maturity or self-control. Look away, walk away, whatever.

That said, the shopkeeper just asked the women to be a little more covered, and I cannot bash someone for making a simple request. The women could have said “no, we’re fine”, but they chose to leave instead. Being asked to do something doesn’t come with crippling levels of shame, it was just a request, get over it, no need to sue.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Actually – if the owners don’t server her because she’s breastfeeding, then they’re breaking NY law.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

I looked at various states’ systems the last time we had a breastfeeding dustup, and I think probably the best ones are the ones that impose significant fines through the state’s office of civil rights or whatever office does this sort of thing, but doesn’t provide for much recovery in case of a lawsuit. That ensures there IS a penalty and business owners have an incentive to comply, while not turning it into a payday cashout, since I’d be hard-pressed to think of a situation in which a woman denied her right to breastfeed suffers significant monetary harm, without there being some further injury.

It would also allow the state to escalate fines on businesses that continued to ignore the law.

10. mergatroy6 says:

Avoid the controversy. Pump and bottle if you’re going out. It is a win – win situation. Nobody stares or yells at you and your baby gets it’s milk.

BTW, what is a chocolate cafe?

• Sunflower1970 says:

I dunno. But I wanna go to one…

So…if they were breastfeeding in this shop…was there any chocolate milk available…?

• pop top says:

You must not have any experience with pumping if you think that’s a 100% viable option. Sometimes you don’t have pumped milk when the baby is hungry, etc. And it doesn’t last that long out of the breast either, so you have a limited time in which to feed the baby with what you pumped out.

• Sneeje says:

Well, while I think everyone should just calm down and get over the breastfeeding thing, it doesn’t have to be black or white. My wife managed to breast-feed three of our kids often while we were out and somehow managed to do it very discretely.

Politeness and decorum require effort on both sides–you accept that breastfeeding will happen in public and I’ll accept that I should be as discrete as possible about it.

But I do think the “you don’t want my baby to STARVE do you?” is really, “you don’t want me to put up with a crying baby for a whole 5-10 minutes, do you?” You can plan ahead and be prepared. This idea that you can’t really plan for the feeding and that it has to happen immediately is kind of ludicrous.

• Silverhawk says:

Hands down, best comment on this topic.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

What is ludicrous is the idea that part of the planning for feeding shouldn’t include sitting down at a table in the cafe and breastfeeding the baby.

That is the simplest and easiest way to feed the baby.

I really wish that every mother of a baby in the entire US would start breast feeding in public every day.

After a few years of this maybe all the weirdoes who have a problem with it will get used to it.

• DariusC says:

Silverhawk fails. this is an ignorant personal rights comment. You have your rights, but other people have theirs and there are more people around than just you so majority rules. smokers must yield to nonsmokers, same as breastfeeding, religion and traffic.

• Sneeje says:

Ok, good luck with all your efforts to bend everyone else to your will.

It would be great if we could all just do what we want and everyone would just accept it, but that’s not reality, so we all have to accept that too. And that means modifying our own behavior. And yeah it sux sometimes.

• Marshmelly says:

a “cafe” that sells a huge assortment of chocolate desserts and such and usually chocolate drinks and coffee, with chairs and tables to sit around. They’re pretty amazing…we have one here in philly.

• WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

Some women have a hard time producing enough milk for their baby, let alone stuff to pump.

Plus, your child and your breasts get on a schedule with each other. If the baby is ready to eat, your breasts are very likely engorged, painfully swollen, and ready to start leaking milk all over the place.

• thisistobehelpful says:

If they’re having trouble producing enough breastmilk to feed their baby that’s actually a good reason not to breastfeed. Malnutrition and all…

• Conformist138 says:

Um… what? No, mom’s just supplement with formula if they really can’t produce enough milk, you don’t have to go entirely one way or the other. And, it doesn’t mean there’s no milk in there at all, and it does HAVE to come out. Really, that’s the one flaw to all of this: A woman MUST get the milk out or it will come out on it’s own. I remember the first time my friend started leaking all over when she was close to having her daughter, that stuff gets everywhere and stains clothes like you dumped cooking oil on them.

• Sanveann says:

Some women can nurse perfectly well but are unable to express milk with a pump. One of my best friends was like this — her son was DEFINITELY not going hungry, but she could barely pump an ounce or two of milk.

• qualia says:

You don’t know ANYTHING.

The way it works, you produce very regular amounts of milk at regular intervals. Producing even one ounce more than normal or anything off schedule is a miracle. And it’s much much easier to lose milk than to gain it.

So you do produce enough for the kid– JUST enough.

And then there’s the problem of kids potentially developing a preference for the bottle over boob and refusing boob if it becomes a regular thing, and it’s just a pain in the butt.

Just let the ladies breastfeed, it’s reasonable and it’s not costing you anything.

• denros says:

Nipples in public. Failing to see a downside.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Pump and bottle if you’re going out. It is a LOSE-LOSE situation.

Why don’t you read up on breast feeding before posting about a topic you obviously know nothing about.

11. Kyin says:

It says that the manager simply asked her to cover up more. Could it be that this lady has blown this out proportion and is now filing a frivolous suit to try and get some quick cash? I’m all for breast feeding. My wife breast fed both of our kids. In public and in private. This just sounds too much like a scam to me.

12. Dory says:

Oh ferchristake.

Breastfeeding squicks you out? Then stop looking. Simple as.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Smart idea but as you can tell from a lot of the comments here, a lot of people are not very smart.

• DariusC says:

Fine, what if we decided to stare at someone breastfeeding? If it bothers a woman to be stared at then she is fine to leave. Personally, I think majority vote rules, as with any democratic country.

13. wenhaver says:

“The plaintiff says she twice politely declined to cease nursing but ultimately opted to leave.”

Opted to leave isn’t the same as being kicked out. Under NY state law, she had a right to feed her kid, but the law doesn’t say anything about not asking a breastfeeding mother to cover up more (just that should couldn’t be cited for indecency if she had refused). So if the cafe is telling the truth, they legally did nothing wrong.

Of course, if the “since removed” manager did tell her to stop, they’re up shite creek.

14. Ladybird says:

I have never, ever, ever understood the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth that people have about women breastfeeding in public.

Am I the only person who goes out to dinner/shopping/whatever and concentrates on the people at the table or the task at hand? I go out a fair bit so I know at some point I have been in a place while a woman is breastfeeding. Hell, she was probably sitting next to me. And even then, I don’t give a damn because my focus is on the people at MY table or the item that I’m looking for.

Christ on sale! This “OMG, she’s feeding the bebeh with teh boobies in public! *clutch pearls*” nonsense has got to stop.

• Silverhawk says:

See, you’re reading one extreme reaction here, but you may not have experienced the bratty mothers with no sense of decorum being very obvious about it, then getting indignant when someone asks them to have a little, uh, decorum.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

bratty mothers?

grow up.

• DariusC says:

Grow up. He was voicing her/his concerns. You are thisclose to being reported for flaming and not contributing.

Please evaluate on your comment, I would like to see why you disagree with his statement.

• thisistobehelpful says:

Not saying it’s about breastfeeding specifically, but some people cannot help concentration issues. I’m one of those people. I don’t have much of a filter when it comes to my immediate environment thus I see and hear things most people drown out as background noise or what have you. Trust me if I could turn off my surroundings and be able to focus on only one thing at a time I’d be much happier. From the language of the lawsuit, the stink this woman is making, I can imagine she made a scene and that tuning out would’ve been difficult for even the most oblivious person. When there’s an attention whore around everyone knows.

15. sanjaysrik says:

Why was she in a chocolate store if she was nursing? I’m just saying. Doesn’t everything the mother eats get into the milk? Which would mean caffeine and the like?

I like how she used “severe” quite a few times in her lawsuit. My favorite is still the famous pantsuit lawsuit.

16. Duckula22 says:

I think some sense needs to be injected down from the federal government. Breastfeeding is a natural thing, it’s not inappropriate, if done in public and makes you uncomfortable… look away.

17. Marshmelly says:

Not that I agree with her claims of “severe embarrasment, severe shame, severe humiliation, severe emotional distress and loss of dignity” (that all sounds very…severe), but this woman was probably showing about as much breast as women who walk around in low-cut tops…yet that is somehow “okay”. Is she completely flashing her boobs at the entire store, nipple and all? No? Then leave her be.

• Conformist138 says:

I wore a particularly low-cut shirt the other day and I’ve got, ahem, assets. No one told me to cover up or leave, instead I got 3 honked car horns and one long, drawn-out “DAAAAMN!”

Of course, that’s when the guy gets to think of sex. When reminded that the bewbs have more practical functions… well, that is just too uncomfortable to think about!

18. Abradax says:

“she has suffered “severe embarrasment, severe shame, severe humiliation, severe emotional distress and loss of dignity” and has been “unable to breast-feed her child in places of public accommodation, as her experience at O’Brien’s has left her feeling inhibited from nursing her child. “

• BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Nice call…

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Exactly. She doesn’t sound stable enough to be outside a padded room, if she’s that “severely” affected.

• KAnne123 says:

“If someone asking her not to do something causes this type of emotional harm, she needs to have her children taken away.”

Maybe someone should ask her not to produce anymore crotch fruit!

19. chaesar says:

havent these guys heard of the internet, a small army of angry moms are laying in wait to boycott any business that treats breastfeeders poorly

20. dr_drift says:

What ever happened to just leaving a store and not going back? Maybe I’ve been wrong this whole time, though… maybe I need to go back and file a crapload of lawsuits!

Uh, your honor, I was only a child when Timmy McKenzie laughed at me for slipping on the ice on my way to school. I can barely go outside during the winter. I feel overwhelming anxiety at the mention of ice, be it on the ground, in a drink, or as a little house. I have to use a wheelchair in public as I’m so afraid of falling over. My life’s in shambles. I want a hundred thousand trillion billion dollars or my dad’s gonna beat you up.

• pantheonoutcast says:

I’m Timmy McKenzie and I’m counter-suing you for libel, defamation of character, and publicly humiliating me on the internet.

Give me your Big Wheels and your 1st edition Snake Eyes GI Joe action figure, or I’m calling my big brother.

• Omali says:

Hi, this is Timmy’s Brother.

I just wanted to let you know that I don’t listen to my little brother, and I’ve given him a big Indian brush-burn on his arm for using me as a threat, and he is going to come home to find himself grounded by mom for starting fights on the internet again.

As dad would say, he done goofed.

21. ss60 says:

amazing how we don’t understand basic human needs and ethics…..

breastfeeding for all, circumcision for none.

People in toher countries are probably thinking “seriously” when they see we have these issues in america where we see the female nipple as something so evil……

• ss60 says:

should probably clarify, that quote is from a bumper sticker…. and “all” should probably technically be “all infants/toddlers”, but we as amaericans have such an unhealthy view of the human body that we don’t allow breastfeeding and mutilate infants bodies hurting there sexual pleasure for life….

seriously wtf is wrong with our country?

• pantheonoutcast says:

The only people who are more bizarre than the militant breastfeeders are the militant anti-circumcision activists.

Holy mother of fuck, can anyone just mind their damn business anymore?

• ss60 says:

that’s the point, people shouldn’t be cutting up other people’s bodies for their own personal reasons…..

it’s quite disturbing

• thisistobehelpful says:

The circumcision thing is a bit different. When it’s done to women it’s called genital mutilation, when it’s done to boys (outside of a true, RARE medical necessity) it’s called tradition.

22. Skellbasher says:

The law says they can. However, the law doesn’t require them to file a civil suit full of trumped up nonsense.

Complain about the manager ignorant of the law and move on. Stop trying to make a payday out of it.

• Blueberry Scone says:

This. She could have staged a boycott of the store (by informing other moms in the area that it’s not breastfeeding mom-friendly) and be done with it.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

If there aren’t heavy repercussions for businesses that do this, they’ll keep doing this.

I’d like to see every business that violates the law this way to be sued, and to lose. If this happens enough, maybe, just maybe, other businesses will take note and start following the law.

23. FredKlein says:

“She claims that, because of the incident, she has… been “unable to breast-feed her child in places of public accommodation, as her experience at O’Brien’s has left her feeling inhibited “

Then I guess it worked.

/thank you, I’ll be here all evening. Try the fish.

• RayanneGraff says:

Inhibited huh? Translation = “I now feel a slight sense of public decency, and I no longer feel comfortable whipping my udders out in public no matter where I am”

I wish more of these entitled exhibitionist moo cows felt a little more “inhibited”.

24. Bladerunner says:

Okay, to all the pro-breastfeeders out there, who say get over it, I wonder:
    Could I whip my junk out and pee ina bottle in public and have it be ok? I mean, it would be sanitary, and it’s a natural part of my body.

The answer is of course, no. So I’m confused why you think its okay to demand that another bodily function get a free pass. Now, I’m not against breastfeeding in public. I happen not to care. But as a society, we’re all hibbity jibbity about body parts and bodily functions. This weirdness about breastfeeding is the natural consequence of that, and you can’t try to isolate it and get all offended when that’s not how people work.

• Marshmelly says:

But women are allowed to show their breasts (i.e low-cut tops), just not their nipples. Men aren’t allowed to show any part (let alone the entirety) of their “junk” as far as I know…which reduces the relevance of your example, not to mention laws against public urination will come into play.

• Bladerunner says:

That’s not entirely true…I’m pretty sure a woman who walked around wearing only pasties would get the cops involved. The laws are VERY nonspecific. Think of the guys who have pants without a belt really low and no boxers…I’ve seen dudes who I didn’t want to look at becaus eI didn’t want to see their junk cleavage before. Granted, it IS different, obviously. Different structures, different functions. But the essential point remains the same.(And usually there’s defense clauses in the public urination laws, because if there weren’t there WOULD be an uproar. Peeing IS a NECESSARY bodily function, see the Tycho Brahe story, and sometimes, you just gotta go, by the side of the road etc. Thus, the laws usually have a clause about it only being a crime if you should know it will cause “affront”. Also, think of people in adult diapers, who are catheterized, etc. Peeing in public happens a LOT, actually. People are just generally subtle about it.)

But I notice that neither one of you addressed my point, which was that breastfeeding is a bodily funciton, just like others. People’s feelings and opinions are not legislated. How can you expect society to turn on a dime like that?

Again, I don’t give two craps about women breastfeeding in public. But when they get all pissy that it upsets someone, I wonder how they can possibly not get why. I disagree witht he people who get all huffy about having to see breastfeeding, but I understand, societally, where it comes from.

• Ladybird says:

How is accomadating a breastfeeding mom asking anybody to turn on a dime? In my state, the right for a woman to breastfeed in public has been codified law for over 15 years.

Also:

“Peeing in public happens a LOT, actually. People are just generally subtle about it.)”

Jus like mothers are generally subtle about breastfeeding.

• Bladerunner says:

Right. But then sometimes they AREN’T, like this lady. And then people complain, and these women get all offended and sue-y, and people on here talk about how the patrons should have “gotten over it”. I don’t think there are many people getting offended at discreet breastfeeding. It’s when people just whip ‘em out and say “well, you can’t see the nipple” (because the baby’s face is on it), and then get all pissy when asked to cover up a little more. That’s the issue here.

• RayanneGraff says:

Thats exactly the issue. I had a friend who breastfed all 3 of her kids, IN PUBLIC oftentimes, and not once did she ever receive a complaint. Why? Because she covered the baby & her chest while she was doing it & didn’t make a huge production of whipping her titty out for the whole restaurant to see.

I have seen women who are just so damn proud of the fact that they can lactate, that they want the whole world to see their nipples leaking as they burp the baby. THAT is the kind of nursing mom that gets complaints, not modest, discreet mothers.

• RandomHookup says:

Except in NY, women can legally be topless anywhere that men are. That complicates your argument.

• Bladerunner says:

Not true, though. Not “Anyplace”.

245.01 Exposure of a person. A person is guilty of exposure if he appears in a public place in such a manner that the private or intimate parts of his body are unclothed or exposed. For purposes of this section, the private or intimate parts of a female person shall include that portion of the breast which is below the top of the areola. This section shall not apply to the breastfeeding of infants or to any person entertaining or performing in a play, exhibition, show or entertainment.

Case law says that most of the time a woman can go topless if its not commercial, but thent hat wouldn’t be Anyplace a man can be.

Although, I think they SHOULD be allowed to, and that that alone would negate the breastfeeding complaint to a large extent…fourteenth amendment and equal rights anyone? But until that happens, while society is the way that it is, it is in no way surprising that crap like this happens.

• RandomHookup says:

Where did I say “anyplace”?

A woman walking around in NY (where this happened) with only pasties wouldn’t get the cops involved as long as she was someplace where it was okay for men to go shirtless — such as on the street or at a pool or really anywhere that doesn’t require shirts.

• BD2008 says:

I don’t know that I would characterize breastfeeding as a bodily function. Do you consider eating a bodily function? Breastfeeding is feeding someone.

The suggestion that an infant should have to eat in a public restroom is ludicrous. No one should have to eat there.

• Bladerunner says:

The child doesn’t have to. It’s like if I want to slaughter a chicken in the middle of a bookstore: not socially acceptable, and not legal. Now, if I have a chicken sandwich, then it’s ok. The child could have it bottled.

And again, I’m not against it, just saying that its not surprising,a dn logically follows the weirdness we already have as a society about bodies.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i’ve seen women walking around in orlando with just large pasties and hot pants more than a few times. usually in a downtown area at night, but plenty of cops around, no hassling.
          i’m going to have to go with regional differences in cultural perception. i’m in the bible belt now and i’ve never seen an outfit like that in public.

• Ladybird says:

Write your Congressman if you want the right to pee in bottle in the middle of Best Buy.

• roguemarvel says:

While I understand that urine is actually more sanitary then most people think, it smells, bad. It’s also waste, breast milk is a nutrient liquid that is used to sustain another human being.

also there are plenty of public restrooms for you to go pee and I assume as an adult you are able to control your bladder till you can reach said restroom. There are very few if any public places for a women to feed her baby (and her car does not count) and a baby doesn’t have the ability to hold off its crying when its hungry until its able to get to a more convenient place for mom. It just knows its hungry and wants to eat now and it will let mom and everyone else in the area know till baby gets what baby wants.

• Bladerunner says:

Why can’t she do it in the restroom or in the car? Not, again, that I think she should HAVE to, but I notice you seem to dismiss those out of hand. Or even just outside, which is where people whose kids have started screaming should be taking them anyway.

• roguemarvel says:

The car is not an option when its over 90 degrees outside or its snowing and that assuming they have car close and available.

Restrooms don’t always have anything put toilets to sit on and are not the most comfortable place to sit for long periods of time. If they have say a sofa which some place do have, the yes thats probably the best option, but when its not, a nursing blanket and chair is the next best thing.

• roguemarvel says:

*but ..oh typing fail

anyway I agree that breastfeeding should be discreet if at all possible. I understand for someone women is very difficult to stay covered (baby likes to pull of blankets or refuses to nurse if covered)

I understand why people get so upset, I just wish they wouldn’t. Its really not that big a deal, baby needs food and sometime the best and only place to do it is in a public place. If she is covered who cares if she isn’t…well try to ignore her.

• Bladerunner says:

Ultimately, I agree with you. I am of the opinion that we are way too flustered about our bodies. My only point was that this is a consequence of that flustered-ness we have as a society.

• thisistobehelpful says:

You apparently have never tried to find a public bathroom while walking home from a bar. In most places, no one has to let you use the bathroom and urinating outside one gets you a ticket. In some places it gets you registered as a sex offender. In general there need to be allowances for biological functions that cannot be generally avoided. Having milk leak would be that. I actually believe that peeing somewhere as discreetly as possible should be allowed in certain instances. If the option is to wet myself or my car, peeing outside is going to be the obvious choice. I’m not saying everyone should be pissing in the streets but at some point things become unavoidable and need to be taken care of.

Maybe we should just have laws that allow for humans to be humans.

• evnmorlo says:

Breastfeeding is closer to nose-blowing than to peeing.

• Bladerunner says:

No. As someone else made the point earlier: in regards to peeing/breastfeeding, if you don’t do it it’s painful, they both involve erectile tissue, and they both come from areas that are considered taboo by society.

Are there any ways that blowing your nose and breastfeeding are the same, beyond just the fact that they’re both biological processes?

• evnmorlo says:

If there were no public bathrooms, peeing would be acceptable. Some countries had or still have pissiors. If public nursing rooms were available I would agree that they should be used. Since the sad demise of the codpiece, however, penises are way more taboo than breasts which are normally accentuated and partially exposed.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

So it’s a bodily function. So what? Not all bodily functions are equal. I’d never argue against women whipping out their boobs in public. I wish they were detachable and multiplied like tribbles.

• Bladerunner says:

So that’s the ONLY bodily function you think people should leave alone? You say they ‘aren’t all equal’. Tell me a few others, please. Even blowing your nose grossly is considered rude by many (I’ve heard people say, in regards to others, “gross, he should just go to the bathroom to do that”.). I’m not arguing against breastfeeding. I’m just saying that it’s not strange that, after sexualizing everything clothes cover, and after making everything the body does taboo, we get people reacting to this as well. It’s not confusing, it’s not strange. It’s a natural consequence. Perhaps if we weren’t all ridiculous about our bodies, it would be different.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Okay, lets list a few bodily functions they should leave alone:
          1. breathing
          2. blinking
          3. sneezing or coughing
          4. farting
          5. tearing up / crying
          6. hiccups
          7. burping (eating and drinking)
          8. sweating
          9. being pregnant / reproduction
          10. salivating
          11. lactating / breastfeeding
          and possibly
          12. having an erection (I don’t know why there are laws against it since it’s not always controllable)

When I was young, saying words like “sweat” and “pregnant” were not allowed on TV.

Defecating, urinating and ejaculating in public is icky.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

eh, depending on the severity/intensity of the farting behavior, i could find it difficult to ignore when occurring near me in a restaurant.

• Bladerunner says:

You left out cellular mitosis.

Ok, I concede that “body functions” might be a sloppy term for the purposes I was using it. But I think you’re being purposefully obtuse about my real point, which is that anything that produces a quantity of substance from its process (peeing, pooping, ejactulating, even, yes, crying if someone’s being loud/doing a lot of it) is generally considered rude at the minimum to be in public. People get worked up about simple things about the body.

And, again, I wasn’t arguing it shouldn’t be allowed. I’m just positing that people being bothered is the logical consequence. In a world where, as another poster said, you can be put on a sex offender’s registry for having to pee and not being able to hold it until you get home, should any of us act shocked that people get upset about public breastfeeding? I’m not defending the mindset, per se, just pointing out why it exists, because way too many people act like they’re shocked that people think this way, when its really obvious why..

• snarkymarcy says:

Eliminating waste is not equal to providing nutrition. If you were urinating, and then feeding it to anyone, well, that is another issue entirely. If eating in public is permissible, then so is breastfeeding.

• Bladerunner says:

That does NOT logically follow. If you’re going to make a point, you need to actually make it. Just saying “they’re not equal” doesn’t cut it. Of course they are not equal in every single way. But the issue isn’t the substance, which is why BOTTLED breastmilk isn’t an issue. The issue is the manner in which it is produced, using organs society has deemed inherently sexual. And in that manner they are identical. My original point, mind, was not that women shouldn’t be able to, but that nobody should be surprised when, after society has twisted everybody’s head around about bodies, people have their heads twisted around about bodies, including breastfeeding.

25. Scuba Steve says:

Sounds like the whole incident was planned. However regardless of plan or not, the Manager was in the wrong.

26. teke367 says:

When I was a waiter, I saw a mother lift open a flap in her shirt, which allowed for her to feed her baby without anything showing, heck, you had to really look to see if she was breastfeeding, or just holding her baby.

I’m not saying shirts like that should be required, but it seems like a wonderful idea. Even if you are at a place that doesn’t give you guff about breastfeeding, I imagine mothers would still be a little anxious about it. There has been enough stories like this to give moms reason to feel paranoid that people will stare/be offended, etc. Obviously you wouldn’t be able to replace you’re entire wardrobe, but wouldn’t that be a great baby shower gift?

It’s natural, and I have no problem with it. I don’t believe a store should ask somebody to leave, or ask them to cover up (unless there is some extreme situation where a mom is just letting them air out and really not even feeding her baby, which I doubt ever has happened), but its a fact of life that other people will stare, or feel awkward. Not saying that should stop the mom from feeding, but unfortunately, it is something they have to deal with. That isn’t going to change, at least not for awhile, long after you’re done breastfeeding.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

Yeah, but if breastfeeding women started wearing these more often, we’d have more Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake style nip slips. Nobody wants that. Or maybe they do. I don’t know, but someone said donuts and now I want one.

27. chaesar says:

I thought your two favorite topics were breasts and complaining

28. thedarkerside.to says:

These stories always remind me of the logic pedestrians should have: “Hey, it’s a pedestrian crosswalk, I have the right to cross here and cars have to stop.”

Just imagine the fun if everybody would just do that.

Meanwhile: Yes, feed your spawn, but you could also use some common sense. Why do it in the middle of a store and not, say, retire to a quiet corner? Self centric parenting is really grinding on me lately, not in the least when I can’t get into a store because a mother insists on trying to squeeze her monster stroller into a space where hardly two people can pass each other.

• RayanneGraff says:

THIS.

I hate parents who think the whole world has some kind of obligation to change & make way to accommodate their precious brats. YOU decided to breed, lady, so YOU are the one who is obligated to adapt your parenthood to the way the rest of the world works.

29. BadgerPudding says:

I can completely understand not wanting to see old, wrinkled, varicose-veined boobage while you’re trying to enjoy lunch. If mothers would invest just a little time in planning, everyone would be happy.

30. AngryK9 says:

I call shenanigans.

31. Llama says:

The babies should probably sue for Severe lack of nutrition, severe lack of comfort and severe overuse of the word severe.

32. Bkhuna says:

Did Jerry Springer write this? The twisted B*#@! is just another bottom feeder looking for someone else to give her pathetic life some meaning. I pity the kid being raised by such a pathetic looser.

33. Jack Handy Manny says:

People always stare when I breastfeed on my mom. Especially if we are sitting at the bar together. Don’t knock it until you try it. Hot Wings + Coors Light + B Milk = No hangover.

34. brinks says:

Seeing a woman’s breast in public might make some people uncomfortable. It also will get the attention of pervs. I’m not saying moms don’t have the right to feed their kids, but I understand the argument against it. I just don’t know where the happy medium is.

• EarthAngel says:

The happy medium is the removal of the pervs from the establishments where the mothers are allowed to feed their children and choose to do so.

There are a lot of people that I see that make me uncomfortable. Should they be removed?

• RayanneGraff says:

The happy medium would be to weed out the pervs, and for the milk maids to cover up so the pervs have nothing to ogle.

And it’s not just pervs that look when a woman whips out a boob, it’s kind of hard to miss. I should be able to enjoy a nice lunch without having to make an effort to keep my eyes on my plate just because the moo cow in the middle of the cafe with her entire tit hanging out has the “right” to expose herself.

Whatever happened to being polite & thinking of others’ when out in public? Where did this “I can do whatever I want” attitude come from anyway? Yeesh.

• KAnne123 says:

The happy medium would simply be for moms to throw a small blankie over themselves. But heavens forbid people do anything out of common courtesy that the law doesn’t require them to! Because a mother has a right to flash her boobs all over the place if it has a child attached when in that same situation otherwise flashing that same boob isn’t allowed.

Once when I was selling shoes, a very nice looking young lady sat down and said she wanted to try on some shoes. By the time I got back with the shoes, she had started breastfeeding… simply pulled down her tank top and exposed herself in the middle of a department store. I told her if she was more comfortable, we have a very nice family restroom with sofas or a manager office, but she was fine where she was at. In fact she even asked to place the shoes on her feet as she breastfed her child.

I don’t care if people want to breastfeed, but I don’t need to see the menu either.

35. waleye says:

i don’t mind seeing a mom breast feed her child. get over it if you cant stand the site . focus on violence we see ever day that needs to stop . not a peaceful thing as a mom feeding her baby . i think this is where people prefer violence over nudity .

36. stampadhesive says:

I’ve seen mothers slip their arm out of the arm hole of their shirt and put it through the collar, leaving the entire breast exposed and then proceed to breastfeed at a restaurant. When the child is on the lap and the breast is draped into the child’s mouth, the mother is showing too much. Can’t you just throw a baby blanket over you and be done with it?

37. Abradax says:

In the filing of the brief, I hope the lawyer was at least honest:

“$he ha$ $uffered “$evere embarra$ment, $evere $hame, $evere humiliation, $evere emotional distre$$ and lo$$ of dignity”

38. Lanuria says:

What if another customer complained about seeing the woman breastfeeding and asked the manager of the store to do something about? What if several people had done the same thing?

If the manager only asked them to cover up, how exposed where they? There are a lot of questions to be answered. Hopefully there is a video somewhere.

I would feel awkward if I was eating and someone whipped out their breasts to feed their child, but I understand the need to do so. I also believe that women who are breast feeding should look around at their surroundings, see how many people are around (and what -kind- of people) and offer to cover up if people are looking uncomfy. It isn’t that hard to throw a little baby blanket over the offending boob if it means people will stop staring.

• snarkymarcy says:

In New York, the owner should tell those who are complaining that it is illegal to tell them to stop in a place where said mother and child are otherwise authorized to be. Even if the whole place complained. It is the law.

• snarkymarcy says:

It doesn’t matter if the whole place complains. It is the law in New York that if the mother and child are otherwise authorized to be there, it is illegal to prevent them from doing so. This hysteria over OMG! BEWBIES! is what made such legislation necessary.

• RayanneGraff says:

If they were exposed enough to be asked to cover up, the cafe had every right to say something to them. I know *I* don’t wanna see some mommy’s saggy tits, regardless of what the laws say, and if I’d have been there I would have complained too.

39. DorsalRootGanglion says:

The last time I read about a breast-feeding controversy, the NVIDA chip on my Mac fried. I’m suing everyone.

40. EarthAngel says:

Only in America are people so mastrophobic that they actually have to sue every time they see a nipple. Sounds like they have their own Freudian issues.

If you are that uncomfortable, leave the establishment! Nobody is making you watch the sideshow. Besides, didn’t your mother teach you it was rude to stare?

41. yessongs says:

Man, this story gives new meaning to chocolate milk!

42. soren121 says:

Milk chocolate. Har har har.

43. mcgyver210 says:

Ridiculous Law Suit if she is that sensitive she should have been more discreet. What about the rights of the poor people eating why not just milk & change same location so as to truly disrupt someones eating time.

44. RayanneGraff says:

I find it pathetic how easy it’s become to sue anyone who makes you *upset*. Oh no, she was EMBARRASSED, better call her lawyer! (whom she probably has on speed dial just for these occasions). I wish I was a judge so I could have the pleasure of throwing out frivolous “cash in” lawsuits like this.

I have nothing against nursing mothers who so it discreetly(IE, quietly opening your shirt, covering up both chest & baby, and not whipping the boob out in full view of the whole restaurant), but why the hell was she breastfeeding a TODDLER anyway? If it’s old enough to walk, it’s old enough to eat solid food.

• RandomHookup says:

According to the article, the woman in question had a 5-month old baby. The writer of the article can be blamed for the incorrect use of the term “toddler”.

• watchwhathappens says:

“…whipping the boob out in full view of the whole restaurant…”

I have NEVER seen anyone do this, and I’m sure you haven’t either. Empty argument.

• RayanneGraff says:

Um, actually I HAVE, which is why I made the argument. I have seen more than my share of mombies who want to show off their engorged, dripping udders.

45. Griking says:

Why is it so difficult to understand that some people just don’t want to see (and hear, you can hear the kids sucking away) this stuff in a restaurant

• EarthAngel says:

I don’t want to hear cell phone conversations, either. And yet that doesn’t stop patrons from chatting away on their phones.

• Groanan says:

I don’t care what other people door do not want to hear, the customers do not own the restaurant, the restaurant owners should be the ones who decide what sort of activities they allow on their property.

46. holden190 says:

Breast Feeding in public should be totally illegal.

I don’t need – or want – to see it. You may be endeared with your child, but guess what?

I’m not. Take it to the bathroom. Or just don’t xerox yourself.

47. jukaye says:

srsly she should just keep her bra. i wudnt want my mom to breastfeed me in front of strangers when i was a baby. i certainly wont be proud when everyone knows that my mom is “that mom who flashed her tits”

48. SJ says:

The most important detail is missing: did the store ask to see her receipt on the way out?

49. Sanveann says:

I got so sick of typing up responses to all the SAME frickin’ comments that come up every time, I wrote a blog post where I answered them all: http://sleepless-in-suburbia.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-breastfeeding-post-at.html

(This was actually in response to a different story here, but everyone’s bringing up the exact same crap.)

50. Groanan says:

The store should have the right to regulate what actions are allowed on their private property.

Even if they are ridiculous, even if they are discriminatory.

If this woman wants to breast feed in this chocolate store so much, she should pay the rent.

If this store cannot operate without catering to breast feeding mothers, it will go under.
    If people find their lack of catering to breastfeeding mothers distasteful, if they really care, they will boycott the store and it will go under.

We should not be attempting to legislate kindness, let social networks and economic forces work it out.

51. Concat says:

I know it’s just the lawyer talking here, but that is such garbage.

“Someone was rude to me! SUE SUE SUE SUE!!!”

52. Lis de fleur says:

I find it offensive that people who are obviously not educated on the matter ridicule mothers for feeding older children. They must not know that the World Health Organization experts agree that breast feeding up till the age of four has proven beneficial. I’m not saying that a four year old can’t wait till they get home, but theses were toddlers and I’m sure they would prefer a feeding toddler to a fussy one. The store’s proprietor asked these ladies to “stop doing that” several times, she broke the law. I think these women have every right to stand up for themselves and demand their rights & the rights of others be respected. It doesn’t say that they are asking for financial compensation by suing, who knows what they are asking for, it could be as simple as posting a breastfeeding welcome sign.

53. smo0 says:

Here’s a repeat comment I see over and over… about “the pump.”

Every breastfeeding breeder has some comment about how you can’t use one…

WTF ARE THEY FOR THEN!?!?!?!?!?

• Lis de fleur says:

Plastic has been shown to have numerous endocrine & hormone mimicking chemicals every time the use of one is discontinued another is found. Why would anyone introduce poison to their baby when they have natural feeding implements readily available?