Five Guys Named Best Fast Food Burger In U.S. By Zagat Guide

Earlier this year, the burgers at quickly growing fast foodatrorium Five Guys made the Center for Science in the Public Interest’s list of most calorie-filled meals in the country. Perhaps that’s why the voters at the Zagat Guide recently chose Five Guys as the best burger in the country.

In a survey of 6,500 fast food fans, Five Guys beat out all other burger chains for top honors, followed by In-N-Out — last year’s winner — in second place. Rounding out the top five were, in order, Wendy’s, Burger King then McDonald’s.

Among full-service chain restaurants, Red Robin reigned supreme. The rest of the top five were Stake ‘n Shake, Cheesecake Factory, Ruby Tuesday and Chili’s.

Of course, what good are burgers without fries? And while Five Guys might be noted for drowning your burger in a sea of fresh-cut french fries, it still wasn’t enough to be out McDonald’s for the fry crown.

The Golden Arches also took home gold medals in Best Value, Best Value Menu, Best Breakfast Sandwiches. And yet Wendy’s was still voted Top Overall and Top Food among “Mega Chain” (over 5,000 location) eateries.

The full results can be found here.

What do you think of these results? How would you have voted?

Comments

1. mingtae says:

I would have voted Wendy’s top burger and Burger King top fries. The cheeseburgers at Five Guys has an odd commercial cheese on it. However, Fudruckers has the best hamburgers hands down whether you consider them fast food or full service.

• Morte42 says:

Thought I respect your right to your own opinion, I don’t believe I could disagree with you more on anything, ever.

• sleze69 says:

A list of best french fries without Rally’s/Checkers has ZERO creditbility.

Although it’s right about 5 Guys and In/Out Burger WRT burgers.

• Traveshamockery says:

AMEN.

My wife introduced a co-worker to Rally’s fries the other day. He ate a few, then looked at them and said, “What…what are these made out of?!”

She chose to take it as a compliment.

• palfas says:

I can’t disagree with you more in regards to BK’s fries, they are the absolute worst of any fast food chain. I’d rather chew on cardboard because it would have more texture then those nasty things.

2. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

No one knows what heaven is until they experience every heart-clogging calorie of a 5 Guys burger and their fries.

Also of interest is that the company doesn’t advertise like other restaurants do… they firmly believe that word-of-mouth is the way to go. Looks like it works.

• nova3930 says:

werd to that. I love me some five guys, even with the feeling of being covered in grease when I leave.

• Dutchess says:

There burgers are just ok but their frys are disgusting. They are loaded with grease and make me gag.

No thanks….

• Doncosmic says:

You are obviously just not used to real fries then, the kind made from whole potatoes and served with malt vinegar

• Buckus says:

I tried their burger. Meh. I’d rather a Whopper over their stuff. Fries were ok, but I’m not big on fries to start with.

• YOXIM says:

Are you high? I honestly don’t get the praise that place gets. I went there once, and it was nothing more than a glorified McDonald’s, only more expensive and it took longer to get your food. The kindergarten furniture didn’t help either. I’ll take BK’s Steakhouse burger over anything Five Guys has to offer any day of the week.

Also, if you want a proper burger, go to a restaurant. UNO Chicago Grill has one of the best burgers I’ve ever tasted. On the rare occasion that they cook it according to your order, it’s like eating sex. It really is. Too bad their cooks suck and they’re getting shut down left and right. Ruby Tuesdays is also pretty good on that front.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Kindergarten furniture? What do you mean by that? Our local branch of Five Guys just has regular diner-style chairs and tables, with faux-wrought iron-looking stuff for the outdoor seating.

• oblivious87 says:

Calling 5 guys fast food is an insult to fast food. When I order a burger from a fast food place, I want it in minutes. The last time I was at a 5 Guys, it took me over 10 minutes to get my food and the place wasn’t packed.

I’m glad they want to fresh cook their burgers for me to Well Done, but when I want a heart stopping burger, I’ll take Fuddruckers which not only tastes WAY better, but I get it grilled the way I like and I get to throw on as many toppings as I’d like myself!

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

10 minutes isn’t fast enough for you? Seriously? Geesh.

• RvLeshrac says:

FAST food shouldn’t take ten minutes. There’s nothing wrong with a 10 minute hamburger in a normal, full-service restaurant… but if you want to be considered “Quick-serve” or “Fast food,” 10 minutes is *WAY* too long.

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

“Also of interest is that the company doesn’t advertise like other restaurants do… they firmly believe that word-of-mouth is the way to go. Looks like it works”

Never heard of them…

• NotYou007 says:

The fries where pretty damn awesome but the burger itself was not mind blowing. I just had my first one two weeks ago when I was out of town and it was nothing special. Everyone rants and raves but their burgers to me are nothing special.

3. pot_roast says:

I’m happy to see Steak N’ Shake get some recognition. A bunch of the DFW locations closed down, unfortunately. Looks like one franchisee owned them and the economy sank him pretty bad. But the remaining locations are great.

And as a former Californian that has eaten at In-N-Out dozens of times, I think Five Guys blows them away. In-N-Out’s food started tasting like a tenderized salt lick. :/
    We’re getting them in north Texas (Garland, TX) soon, so I can go back and re-visit just for the heck of it.

• DoubleEcho says:

Steak and Shake sucks. Their fries are too thin too – I understand it’s part of the “atmosphere” but I feel like I’m eating pieces of fried hay instead of a real french fry.

• 451.6 says:

I love Steak and Shake! It was the only thing near my college that was open 24 hours (except for K-Mart and Walmart) so we’d go hang out there and drink delicious shakes served by majorly high waiters.

• joel. says:

As a former Californian myself, can’t agree. We got 5 Guys up my way in the Chicago NW Suburbs. I’ve been their twice. Probably the best burger outside of California, but to my taste, definitely doesn’t touch In-N-Out. Five Guys has a good burger, but it’s not great.

4. RonDiaz says:

McDonald’s fries are nasty I am sorry but I am not a fan.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Fries are the only think I liked at McDonalds, until they added their Chic-Filet knock off the Southern Chicken sandwich.

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Agreed…thought it was really odd to see them number one. IMHO…Wendy’s has much better fries then Ron’s Steak House.

• SilentAgenger says:

I’ll never forget the experiment on the “Supersize Me” DVD extra, where they tested the breakdown times for various McDonalds foods vs. less processed foods served in a sit-down restaurant. The McDonalds fries stood the test of time longer than any other food item. While most of the other foods molded and withered away several days/weeks, the McDonalds fries went mostly unchanged after 10 weeks (even mold refused to grow on them). You gotta wonder what those things are made of.

• Vandil says:

I read so where that their fries are coated with sugar to make them taste better, especially to kids.

5. sp00nix says:

i can hear my mouth calling out for Five Guys as my heart begins to slow down.

6. rbb says:

McDonald’s fries? Only if you are right there when they take them out of the fryer. Otherwise, yuck! They use a oil with a high melting point (= cheaper), so when they cool off even the slightest amount, they harden up. Five Guys fires are superior.

7. AstroPig7 says:

It might just be the location, but the Five Guys establishment across the road from my office has bland, unimpressive fries. Even the cajun fries are disappointing, given their reputation. Give me Red Robin steak fries any day.

• Short_Circuit_City says:

Five Guys fries literally vary by location and day. I do believe that the spuds are required to be from Idaho, but beyond that it’s whatever the store can get their hands on each day.

• Kopiok says:

They have to be from Idaho and they have to be from above the 42nd parallel. They’re real specific on their fries…

• pixiegirl says:

I agree, the fries at my five guys blow. It’s actually disappointing cause I always associate fries with burgers and I can’t stand them there very bland and usually overcooked. So I usually end up getting a hot dog and peanuts.

8. buk110 says:

As a former Californian and a current East Coaster I’m torn on this. Nothing beats a double-double animal style with chilis….but man the bacon burger at 5 Guys is delish.

Nom nom nom

9. CaptCynic says:

Unfortunately for me, there are no 5 guys in the Memphis area, but I did get one on a recent trip to Huntsville and have to agree, their burgers are really good. I’m disappointed to see that Back Yard Burgers didn’t make the top 5.

Who the heck puts Wendy’s, Burger King, & McDonalds as a top burger choice? That’s just wrong. All three have mediocre burgers at best.

• wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

Ahhh, Backyard Burgers! I think it’s a Southern thing. I’ve only had them in Alabama. They are perfect. I remember the kids’ meal prize was a little burger key chain. WORD.

• PrimeMovr says:

If you’re ever down in West Little Rock, we just got one. Hadn’t been there yet, but hear it’s phenomenal…

• bubbledumpster says:

Yes! Backyard Burgers belongs on this list. Especially above Burger King. Their burgers change color when you take a bite out of them and let them sit for a minute or two.

10. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

How has no one yet pointed out that this is most likely due to Advertising from our dear POTUS? Yeah, that’s right. I work PR and I call BS on this. Everyone saw their president eat a burger, and it got popular.

It’ll tank in a year. I’ve been there. Good, not great.

• sirwired says:

Five Guys has been in the D.C. area (and winning Zagat’s, Washingtonian, Post, etc. surveys) for many years before Obama ever came to town.

• OrtizDupri says:

And so has Ray’s… sweet, delicious, fattening Ray’s…

• Short_Circuit_City says:

Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone but….best burger in DC is at the Black Squirrel in Adam’s Morgan. It’s cooked in rendered duck and veal fat. It’s amazing.

• shoan says:

Five guys is taking off like a rocket here in little rock. Frankly they are a great burger, they load you with good fries. Trust me they have been rocking the burger scene longer than obama ate a burger on tv.

• Preyfar says:

Five Guys has been popular long, long before people knew the name “Barack Obama”. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• MMD says:

Because the history of Five Guys stretches back way further than the Obama presidency. Did they get a boost from Obama’s visit? Probably…but it takes more than 15 minutes of fame to sustain the 200 new locations that are opening by the end of 2010.

• BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Sustain is the keyword — like I said, check back at those new locations in a year. :)

• Short_Circuit_City says:

You sir/madam, have no idea what you’re talking about. Last I checked, Five guys was still the fastest growing food chain in the country. The location that the President went to is located next to the Navy Yard and the US DOT so there will never be a lack of people going to that location for burgers. Perhaps you confused Five Guys with Ray’s Hellburger which the President has also visited. That place is part of Michael Landrum’s mini meat empire in DC and I don’t see the fervor of that place dying down anytime soon, either.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Sorry to burst your hatebubble, but Five Guys blossomed and thrived in my city long before the current president was around.

• kricka says:

I was eating Five Guys with glee waaaaaay before POTUS stopped in. I was thrilled to see he had gotten the memo, but Five Guys has been rockin’ for a long while before Mr. Obama made the splash.

• zibby says:

Five Guys has been a going (and growing) concern for years. I “discovered” them when they put in a shop about 2 blocks away from me. Good things do occasionally happen to me.

• Pinkbox says:

I never knew the POTUS had even stopped at a Five Guys before reading your post. I’ve eaten at Five Guys many, many, many times however because I can’t pass up their grilled onions + jalapenos + hot sauce on a burger. Yum!

• Traveshamockery says:

I didn’t know Obama ate at Five Guys, but that would be the first thing he and I had ever agreed on. He certainly didn’t bias my decision.

11. pop top says:

Wendy’s has the best regular fries. Rally’s has the best seasoned ones.

• scoccaro says:

Agreed and ive never gotten a bag of cold fries either.

• 451.6 says:

I love Rally’s (or Checkers) fries but I’ve stopped eating there since they won’t publish their ingredients or nutrition info. That bothers me. It’s a fast food joint; I know it’s not good for me. So why won’t you tell me what’s in the secret sauce? The stuff that my brain comes up with has to be worse…Unless they really DO put crack in the fries.

12. Balaenoptera says:

Woooo! The only good burger joint in the Northeast, I loves me some cajun fries.

13. Balaenoptera says:

14. D0rk says:

While I will certainly try In-and-Out when I visit the west coast eventually, at this time i’m totally agreeing with them on Five Guys.

(That and Shake Shack, but i’m not too interested in visiting NY)

• Etoiles says:

After hearing all of my California friends rave about In’n’Out, I tried one when we were visiting.

Not impressed, really. Five Guys is better.

• roguemarvel says:

if you take price into account in-n-out is better. 5 guys is really good, but rather pricey for a burger joint. I also would take animal fries over 5 guys fries any day of the week.

15. hosehead says:

Zagat’s is useful for ambiance reviews at this point. Never trust their food ratings.

• Bakergirl says:

But 5 Guys has virtually no ambiance. You stand in line around sacks of potatos (yea Rigby, ID) and eat peanuts while you wait for your order (or in line to order–I’m not judging), you fill your own drink, and eat out of a bag.

16. MustWarnOthers says:

The Five Guys near us is a straight shot down route 9, about 5 minutes away.

My fiancee and I try and limit ourselves to once a month at the very maximum. The deliciousness of a double patty with cheese, pickles, relish, lettuce, mayo and ketchup is awe inspiring.

I find their fries actually taste like what a fatty cooked potato slice should taste like, which is why I prefer them over most of the other fast food joints.

17. balthisar says:

Never, ever heard of “Five-Guys,” and because I have no In-N-Out brugers near me, I’d have to vote for A&W for best burgers. However they’re so rare, I doubt they’d ever cross anyone’s mind. I wonder, though, how many A&Ws there are compared to Five-Guys.

Wendy’s comes into a very respectable second place in my book, though.

Fries are harder. McDonald’s fries? They’re like Lay’s potato chips in that you can’t eat just one because they tend to cause one to want to gourge, but they’re not particularly good. I think I’d have to give this one to A&W again, with Wendy’s (again) in a close second. They’re thick-cut fries, with a high potato-to-grease ratio, versus those wimpy little things at McDonald’s.

As for Steak-N-Shake, I thought that that was a fast food restaurant. I’ve only been there once, admittedly, but the only difference between it and run-of-the-mill fast food restaurants was the table service. It still wasn’t really “full service,” though. I believe there is (was?) a “full-service” McDonald’s in the Chicagoland area; wouldn’t you still call that fast food?

• balthisar says:

I was curious about Five Guys, by the way, so I looked them up. It turns out they have two locations in all of SE Michigan, so maybe I’ll give them a shot. Of course now that they won this award, there are going to be Oprah-KFC style lines, so I guess I’ll have to wait a couple of months.

I suppose they could work on their promotional efforts a bit, though. Like I said, I’d never heard of these guys before.

• superml says:

I’ll throw in a vote for A&W burgers.
      I’m up here in Canada, so no In and Out or 5 Guys.

…not a fan of beef burgers here though (an allergy in the immediate family does things to your tastes) expect for A&W.

As for Fries, I’ve always found it to be hit-or-miss, even at the same location, sometimes they’re good, sometimes they’re bad.

• Clyde Barrow says:

I agree. A&W have awesome burgers it gets my vote too. And btw, you’re not missing much by not having In&Outs or Five Guys.

18. Bakergirl says:

Yea! That franchise just opened in my location! The quality of beef they use rocks and totally blows away Red Robin, Chili’s, and just about anything else. The fries are good–when fresh. One of the few places that publish where their spuds are from…(W00t Rigby, Idaho!)

My husband saw a story in the local paper that they were comming and about wet himself with joy.

19. Mr. zip says:

Why isn’t Dairy Queen on that list in McD’s spot. Heck, I’d put them above Wendy’s. Their burgers blow McDonalds away and give Wendy’s a run for their money.

20. sirwired says:

What complete freaking moron decided that In-N-Out had the 3rd-best fries in the nation? They are the poster child on how NOT to cook fresh-cut fries. (Their single-fry leaves the finished product limp, dense and tasteless. And no, asking for extra crispy doesn’t help; then they are overcooked and tasteless, even if the crunch becomes acceptable.)

Five Guys knows how to do fresh-cut fries right, and theirs are so good, they make ketchup a crime.

• MurderGirl says:

Amen to the nasty In n Out fries. The last two times I ate there, the fries were green.

• BorkBorkBork says:

Yeah, I’ve never understood the fascination with In-n-Out burgers and fries. I’ve been a few times, and it’s never anything special.

But their milkshakes are delicious!

21. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Five Guys is great, but I still miss the In ‘n Out of my youth. There’s something about home that’s just comforting.

22. rpm773 says:

I once bought a red Zagat book for Philadelphia, and it was worthless to me. The descriptions of the restaurants seemed to be sentence fragments culled from some other source. And they seemed to be just diners’ impressions, with no anchoring toward a professional review. Is there some place where there are full reviews of restaurants?

I didn’t see the point in it…I found myself looking elsewhere for full reviews of restaurants, doing my own filtering based on what was written.

Now we have an infant, so we don’t go out to eat anymore.

• pantheonoutcast says:

“The descriptions of the restaurants seemed to be sentence fragments culled from some other source. “

That’s precisely what Zagat’s is. A compendium of diners’ impressions. Some feel this is more fair than a “professional” review, given that it samples from multiple diners’ experiences rather than one reviewer’s opinion. Overall, it’s more of a survey than a review, that does the filtering, as you call it, for you.

With the advent of Citysearch and Yelp, I think Zagat’s has run its course. Especially since their online version requires a paid subscription.

23. Brandroid says:

So I’ve been to 5 guys maybe twice, and I don’t quite see what the hubbub (yes I said hubbub, what you wanna fight about it?) is. It was a good burger, but it wasn’t amazing. Or heavenly. Or any other word like that. If you compare it to say, McDonalds, sure it tastes better but you’re also paying a lot more for it.

I’ll take a homemade burger over fast food any day!

• Bativac says:

Absolutely agree with you. I don’t see the appeal of Five Guys’s bland hunk of meat and also bland fries.

I don’t eat burgers when I go out that often. The best way to get a good burger is to just make it yourself.

24. moyawyvern says:

Five Guys does have wonderful burgers, although I find their fries are only mostly okay. They make up for that in sheer volume of fries. Most of the time I can’t find the burger in the bag. Yay for lots of fries, no yay for having to stick my hand through a mass of super hot, greasy fries to get at the burger.

I miss the one and only Steak and Shake we had here in town, which closed quite a few years ago. The burgers were pretty good, and their skinny little crispy shoestring fries were something a little different. Plus, they were open 24 hours, and around here that is now limited to Denny’s and Waffle House, and those are only good drunk.

25. Maximus Pectoralis says:

I would have to say Five Guys has the best burgers AND fries of any fast food establishment near me (Wendys, Burger King, White Castle, Sonic, McDonalds). As for their meals having a lot of calories, you must consider that the size of their “regular” fries is about on par with McDonalds former “Super SIze”. It should not be consumed by one person! And I always get the “little burger”…

26. Superunlikely says:

I don’t understand how Five Guys can beat In-N-Out in both the burgers and fries categories, yet INO gets “Best Food” in the fast food category. Does INO sell anything else that could put them over the top?

27. anime_runs_my_life says:

I’m not surprised. The husband loves Five Guys. I grew up with In N Out, so trying to compare the two is not as easy as it seems. I’ll eat there, but I’ll always yearn for an In N Out in the midwest.

28. miss_roxxan says:

Disagree.

29. cameronl says:

Five Guys and In-n-Out fries are #2 & 3??? What the heck is wrong with people???
    Both their fries taste like cardboard.

30. jeffbone says:

No Tommy’s? Not well-known enough outside of Southern California, I guess…

31. chocolate1234 says:

Culvers should be up there, for burgers at least. I hate their fries. But now I’m really jonesing for an In-N-Out burger. Mmm.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Seriously, Culver’s is good stuff!

• Whtthfgg says:

From Wisconsin..Frequent visitor of their flagship store…their burgers rock, I just think its because they are mostly in the midwest-south to texas market. Maybe if they were a little closer to national they would get more respect….

They are on the list for best chicken and best service though

32. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I protest!

Recently discovered both Culver’s and SmashBurger. They are both slightly > than 5 guys. Sorry :(

33. SagarikaLumos says:

I would more or less agree with most of this list. I’ve never eaten at In-and-Out or 5 Guys, but my agreement with the rest of the list would probably mean that I would agree that their burgers are good, too. I’d like to see Bojangles’ chicken at #1…it’s better than the others, but sold by a chain the probably sees fewer of the survey respondents.

34. GuidedByLemons says:

In-n-Out is easily better than Five Guys, but Five Guys is pretty durn good.

35. SabreDC says:

Five Guys is so disgusting. I do not enjoy having to wring out my burger before eating it.

Spike Mendelsohn’s Good Stuff Eatery all the way.

• Short_Circuit_City says:

DC-wise: I’ll take the burgers at Black Squirrel and Rogue States and Hellburger over Spike’s any day.

• Etoiles says:

I’ve never had a really greasy burger from Five Guys. They cook ‘em all well done and I’ve never had mine drip with anything except what I ask them to put on it. (Which is usually just lettuce, tomato, and pickles; sometimes ketchup.)

Sure, the fries will turn the bag clear in 20 seconds or less, but I generally expect fries have a high oil content, what with the whole “deep fried in oil” thing.

• HenryES says:

You’re comparing apples and oranges; I wouldn’t call Good Stuff fast food.

36. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I miss steak n’ shake. I wish they were here…

37. penuspenuspenus says:

Culvers deserves more love. Mmmm, butterburgers.

38. FortuneCookie says:

That KFC/Popeye’s are topping both Church’s and Bojangles makes this entire ‘survey’ smell. I’m starting to think it represents a ‘name a fast food restaurant that serves [INSERT FOOD TYPE HERE]’ survey and therefore skews its results heavily towards densely populated areas with a limited selection of food.

P.S. Were it not for the mushrooms on the burger Five Guys would be indistinguishable from Carl’s Jr./Hardee’s

• RvLeshrac says:

Five Guys burgers are absolutely nothing like Hardees/Carl’s burgers.Five Guys uses Steak ‘n Shake-style ground round, H/C burgers are ground beef.

I don’t find one style expressly “better” than the other, but to say they’re the same is just wrong.

39. TheGreySpectre says:

Take a look at nearby restaraunts chances are you can find a number of places that are almost as fast as fast food without actually being fastfood. I can get Thai food from the family owned thai place in about 5 minutes longer then it takes me to get a fast food burger. Or I can even call ahead and then it takes less time, it only costs about $1 more then a fast food meal yet it is much healthier has better variety and tastes way better.

I don’t understand why so many of you have such an obsession with fast food. I find that the only time I ever really eat fast food is on long car trips if I don’t want to stop. There is pretty much always a better alternative though if you look around, even in small towns.

In and out and Five Guys, yes they are better the McDonalds, but they are by no means what I would call a good burger.

• GuidedByLemons says:

95% of my restaurant meals are at local joints, and I never go to places like McDonald’s or Burger King (why would I when, as you say, there are much better options?). But if “what [you] call a good burger” involves a thick patty, then that’s neither here nor there: that’s a completely different style of burger. Me, I recognize that there are 2 major types (thin vs. thick patty), and In-n-Out or Five Guys will easily go toe-to-toe with any local restaurant’s made-with-love thin-patty burger.

• JulesNoctambule says:

You’re fortunate to have that kind of culinary diversity where you live. Understand that not everyone is equally fortunate.

40. Wang_Chung_Tonight says:

c’mon who set this is.

Pitting 5 guys again Wendy’s, McDonalds, and Burger King? Really?

41. MaytagRepairman says:

I saw the list for “FAST FOOD – LARGE CHAINS” and lost all confidence. Panera Bread and Chipotle were the top 2. First of all, my office used to cater in Panera Bread all the time when we had guests. I don’t understand how a sandwich can rip holes through my guts but that is what it feels like. Second, Qdoba should beat Chipotle every time.

42. blueneon says:

I’ve only eaten at 5 Guys once, as I found the burger and fries mediocre. The best burger and fries in my opinion is Fuddruckers all the way! The burger bun is a carby pillow of heaven for the patty and the fries are delicious with some warm jalapeno cheese sauce. Yumm

43. stottpie says:

mcdonalds fries are so vastly superior to anyone elses that there shouldn’t be a 2,3,4, or 5. the fact that in-n-out and burger king are on there is proof that the survey is stupid.

44. MsFab says:

I’ve never had In-and-Out but I totally agree on Five Guys being the best burger.

Now that I’m a low-carb eater I can’t partake in the Five Guys goodness, but I remember the yumminess.

45. MFfan310 says:

A Five Guys just opened here in Fort Wayne.

Never had one until they opened here, but I have since fell in love with them.

46. bill8088 says:

I had never heard of Five Guys until I read this article. I guess this is some northeastern fast food chain? Surveys like this always seem to have a northeastern bias because the people that do them are from the northeast.

I have been to In-and-Out Burger and they are okay, but nothing great. I like Chic-Fil-A waffle fries better than any of the other places listed in the top five fries places.

47. mospeada says:

5 guys is the most overrated burger in history.

48. ArizonaGeek says:

I lived in the DC area for six years and hated every minute of it, the one and only thing I missed from that area was 5 Guys burgers. They finally started opening them here in Arizona so I am happy again!

49. dolemite says:

I like 5 guys but…their prices are reminiscent of amusement parks. I went there a few weeks ago and it was about $11 for a double cheeseburg, fries and drink.

50. Bakergirl says:

Maybe next year’s contender?

51. redwing41 says:

A Five Guys recently opened near my house in Cincinnati. As delicious as it may be, we have AT LEAST two other joints that destroy the Five Guys burger in terms of taste.

These two places, mind you, are both sit-down restaurants with a significantly better atmosphere, with burgers and fries that are cheaper than Five Guys.

52. KTrenholm says:

Five Guys fries are without a doubt better than McD’s fries. You can’t beat fresh cut and with the skin still on.

53. Jacquilynne says:

I don’t trust any list that says that KFC is better than Popeye’s.

54. shotgun_shenanigans says:

I’m lucky enough to have both a Five Guys and an In N Out in my city. Yes, I’m fat. Sometimes though, I don’t care.

55. edicius is an acquired taste says:

Damn it, I wanted to resist Five Guys for lunch today. Now I’m tempted. A little burger with onions, pickles and hot sauce with a regular cajun fries. *drool*

56. kricka says:

I love me some Five Guys!

57. yessongs says:

EWWWW That place is nasty! I pay two times as much for a burger that tastes like it is cooked on a charcoal grill. I can do that my self for a fraction of the cost. 5 Guys sucks!

58. mowz says:

Burgers: Five Guys
    Fries: Arby’s Curly Fries
    Fried Chicken: The Chicken Shack (Evanston, IL) or White Fence Farm
    Chicken Sandwiches: Chick-Fil-A

• GuidedByLemons says:

Ha! I’ve only spent about 2 weeks of my life in Illinois, but I have to completely agree that the Evanston Chicken Shack has the best fried chicken xD

• Kitty Conner says:

Oh good lord, White Fence Farm.

I want a powered sugar-dusted corn fritter right now.

59. johnva says:

Five Guys burgers are pretty nasty: greasy, and burned to a crisp, usually. They remind me of McDonald’s burgers, which I also think are terrible. I can see that people might like them, though, if they LIKE their meat charred beyond all taste and recognition.

Their fries aren’t very good either. I much prefer places that have thick fries, especially with potato skin on (no clue why there are only a few places that do that: maybe cost?).

60. paul says:

5 Guys is way too expensive. For the price you could go to an actual restaurant. Their fries are soggy and disgusting (and wasteful, since they give you enough for a family of 5), the burger is bland, the restaurant has a loud and cramped dining area. I don’t get what people like so much about it. It is like eating in a junior high lunchroom.

I only had In-N-Out once on a trip to Las Vegas many years ago and was not impressed by it either. Just tasted like yet-another-fast-food-burger to me. The locals couldn’t get enough of it, though.

In my opinion the best fast-food burgers are (in no particular order) Hardees, Steak n Shake, Culver’s, Wendy’s. (honorable mention to White Castle, but I don’t consider them real burgers). McDonalds and BK are by far the worst burgers. McD is just disgusting in general, and BK’s microwaved burgers are always a bit odd-tasting.

As far as fries go, in my mind there is no competition: Rally’s fries are the best. Their burgers are blah, and the fill up the cup with ice all the way to the lid, but those incredible fries make up for it. Mmmmm.

Steak n Shake fries are pretty awesome, too, when they are cooked all the way.

Worst fries I would say is a tie between Sonic and Five Guys. Limp, soggy and disgusting. Maybe if they cooked them long enough to actually get crispy they might be good.

I think McDonald’s fries benefit from nostalgia in these kind of surveys, they used to be better in the 70’s/80’s. They are pretty gross most of the time now.

• Clyde Barrow says:

“It is like eating in a junior high lunchroom.” Great explantion.

Another burger joint that no one has mentioned and maybe it’s because it is local to metro detroit, it is White Castles. Anyone familiar with them? Absolutely disgusting. In case you’re not familiar, they are small, square, and cheap and taste like it too. They are HUGE here but I haven’t eaten one of those burgers since 2001 after one night at a bar.

61. Jeanyuhs says:

Both of these restaurants are the epitome of American trash food, bad tasting, bad for your health and a cookie cutter image.

62. Clyde Barrow says:

Meh,,,been there done that. I wasn’t impressed.

But I did like the atmosphere with the bags of potatoes and boxes of goods sitting in and around the restaurant where I ate. For some reason that reminded me of those old Civil War era pictures of old store fronts, pharmacies, and grocers doing the same thing.

63. mtsmylie says:

The Burger Joint in the DC area has burgers and fries that are even better than Five Guys. True fact!

64. cheesebubble says:

What about the Ruby’s Diner chain? Their burgers are so awesome. Melt in your mouth.

65. spugbrap says:

One thing that always annoys me about Five Guys is the way their walls are completely covered in articles, awards, articles about awards, etc. The whole time I’m there, I’m bombarded with the message, “We’re the best, we’re so great, look at all these things that show how great we are!”

I’m sure it won’t be long before they plaster news of this Zagat Guide win all over their walls as well, if they haven’t already. I think Five Guys is pretty good, but I think a shred of humility would be nice.

66. Cyniconvention says:

I like Five Guys’ burgers. Their fries I’ll gladly do without.

67. Willie says:

Five Guys Burgers & Fries, that’s a mistake I will not make again. Within 45 minutes of forcing down that greasy slop I was running for the toilet, & spent a good portion of the rest of my day feeding the porcelain monster. That was the day I learned my ass can’t handle 5 guys. And it’s way too expensive to boot!

68. y2julio says:

5 Guys burgers suck, things are cooked to the point where it’s on par with any fast food joint. I would pick Burger King over 5 Guys. Now if you want a REALLLY good burger, head on down to Paul’s Burgers by Saint Marks Place. Now THAT is a worth burger, nice big and juicy.

69. ichiban1081 says:

The real crime is that Zagat gave KFC best fried chicken. Everyone and their grandmother knows Popeyes has the best fried chicken.

70. sj660 says:

Regional bias. In-n-out would win if it wasn’t just west coast.

71. Herbz says:

Theres a place called 25 burgers near me and they have the BEST burgers by far of any place around here. That includes Five guys + other places.

72. pete says:

I’ve had both and the In-N-Out doubledouble animal style is much better than anything Five Guys has.
    Period.

73. edosan says:

Based on their #3, #4, and #5 picks, I can only assume they only tested five fast-food places in the country.

74. tomomi says:

Ugh. I’ve tried Five Guys more than once after hearing everyone rave about it. I still don’t get it. A small, greasy, mediocre burger on a bun with lousy fries. Wow. Maybe there’s a secret Five Guys that keeps winning all these awards.

75. Transient says:

A Five Guys opened up near my workplace recently. Unimpressed is all I can think of. The burger wasn’t spectacular and the fries were worse. I wasn’t too thrilled with In-and-Out, either. Maybe both got hyped up too much. Better than McDonalds, for sure, and neither make me crap my pants like Burger King does, but I’d take Wendys over either of them. Steak n’Shake is pretty good, too.

That is unless there’s a Culvers around. Love me some Culvers.

76. Dragonfire says:

Never heard of Five Guys. Here in Texas, my favorite fast-food burger has to be Whataburger. There’s no contest. They also have the BEST ketchup ever. It’s not that Heinz crap, it’s their own recipe. It’s so addictive too.

Although I have been to In-N-Out in California, and thought it was good too, but it still doesn’t beat Whataburger.

For fries, I’d have to say Carl’s Jr. Their fries are not the shrimpy fries, they’re big cross-cut fries. Delicious.

77. The Marionette says:

a Five Guys just opened right across the street from my job. The prices are a TAD steep, but from what I’ve heard it’s worth the price. Probably something good to treat yourself to like once a week or so. I haven’t had it myself, but may try it out this week. They seem to be doing very well at the one nearby and it’s in very commercialized area with lots of restaurants and stores (walmart of course being one of them) and movie theaters so it’ll fit right in.

78. al says:

In n out was robbed! Although ive never had 5 guys. Ill have to keep an eye out for that place.

79. 44Wadeable says:

I would totally vote Five Guys fries at the 1 spot and McDonald’s at the 4. And Wendy’s at the five, because they have something that makes me sick in them.

80. Levk says:

I really want to know why people like those over priced burgers >

81. Jayrandom says:

Maybe it’s just that the Five Guys around Boston aren’t very good, but they shouldn’t even be in the same conversation as In-N-Out. As far as chains go they may be better than anything else on the East Coast, but there are plenty of non-chain burger joints that are better.

82. MotorboatJones says:

Zinburger FTW on full service and Fatburger is the best fast food burger of all-time.

83. Hoboman725 says:

Sweet Five Guys Justice.

I was a word of mouth machine when they opened a branch in Avon CT

They even gave me a few shirts to help spread the fantasticalness of their beef.

84. Vandil says:

I’m a runner and a health fanatic who doesn’t eat fast food.

But I love my occasional Five Guys hamburger and fries.

Between my metabolism and cardio exercise, though, I burn that meal off. The same can be had for others if they’d just run a few laps around their block a few times a week instead of picking up the tv remote or xbox controller.

85. ReverendTed says:

Perhaps it’s just that it’s a new location and hasn’t “hit its stride” but my burger and fries at the Five Guys here in southwest Austin were mediocre at best.
    There’s a P-Terry’s across the street that blows it out of the water. Of course, P-Terry’s is an Austin-only chain, but it’s very reminiscent of the west coast’s In-and-Out, which I bear a particular fondness for.

86. Robofish says:

Now I want one. And the fries. I love their fries cause they remind me a bit of Thrasher’s fries in Ocean City. ( Though I think Thrasher’s are tastier )

87. Sol Collins says:

Best Cheeseburger is from a small local chain in Columbia, SC called RUSH’S. They’re fries are probably the fourth best, next to McD’s, Chic Fil-a, and Arby’s curly fries.

And their shakes are to die for.

I rarely eat fast food anymore, but anytime I find myself in Columbia, SC, I gorge on some Rush’s cheeseburger baskets with vanilla shakes as often as I can.

88. fuceefacee says:

Five Guy’s fries rule! Nothing comes close. I’m a bigger fan of their grilled hot dogs also.!!! :)

89. Ted3 says:

I won’t lie..I had a burger from Krystal for the 1st time while in the ATL airport and not too bad.

90. Ted3 says:

I’m also surprised Hardee’s isn’t up there.

91. Ocyrus says:

After many horrible experiences at Five Guys (all related to their lack of emphasis on customer service), I’ve decided today to officially dump them.
    Bye-bye Five Thighs!