Warner Bros. Batman-Blocks Apple Users From Digital Copy

Apple enthusiast David was annoyed to discover his Blu-ray of the animated film Batman: Under the Red Hood won’t allow him to use the download voucher to get a digital copy of the film that will play on his Mac or iPod. He feels misled because he had no such trouble with previous digital copy transfers, even from other Batman movies.

He writes:

I recently purchased the Blu-ray version of Batman: Under the Red Hood. As a huge Batman fan, I was really excited to see the latest tale in glorious HD. What clinched the deal for me that the promise of a digital copy of the film as well.

(At this point, I should mentioned that I run it on a MacBook Pro, and all my media devices are iDevices (iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc.). I felt it’s safe to assume that the iPod family of media players is probably the world’s most popular, and with iTunes recently announcing they were the world’s largest music retailer, I figured that I shouldn’t have a problem with the file download. I’ve gotten tons of digital copies before, including a download from Warner’s own Dark Knight Blu-Ray.)

On the inside of the packaging, I found an insert with a redeemable code and a website to download the file. Upon going there, I got a message that the site was Windows-only. While weird, I can dual boot into WinXP, so I did. (Most Mac users would be screwed at this point.)

Going to www.wbdigitalcopy.com/BatmanUnderTheRedHood prompted me to download the WB Media Manager, which I dutifully did. After jumping through all those hoops, I found out that the file is ONLY playable on Windows Media Player with crippling PlaysForSure DRM. The fine print at the bottom of the download screen finally told me “Not Compatible with iTunes or with Macintosh or iPod devices.” I backed out of the program to double-check the insert, before attempting the download.

Sure enough, in seriously microscopic print, it says the same thing on the insert in the middle of a paragraph of equally microscopic text – not exactly easy to spot.

I e-mailed Warner Bros. on August 9, asking about how to use my paid-for-but-can’t-use digital copy, and got this response the next day:

Hello,

This Digital Copy offer is available only for Windows based operating systems, Windows Media Player 11, and DRM compatible portable devices. Support for Mac operating systems, iTunes, and an Apple portable device is not available for this DVD title.

I followed up, mentioning that it wasn’t feedback, but a request for a digital copy that was actually compatible with my system. I haven’t heard back, and probably won’t. I don’t know if anything can be done about this, but thought your readers – especially those owning iDevices or, God forbid, use a Mac – might want to know about this nonsense. And if anyone from Warner Bros. read this, that it’s nonsense like this that drives a lot of honest consumers to piracy.]

Comments

1. BannedInBrittan says:

Handbreak FTW. Stop paying them for broken features. Argg.

• full.tang.halo says:

So Remember: if you want a collection you can count on, Pirate it.

Hey, You’ll be a criminal either way….

• LatinoGeek says:

I would like to point out that shorly after this comic went up, Apple made a deal with the record labels that allowed them to sell songs with no DRM.

So the message in this comic isn’t really applicable to iTunes anymore.

• grumpskeez says:

So Apple no longer has ANY DRM protected songs in thier Itunes library? If you answered well yes they still have some, then it’s still applicable. You could also just man up and admit DRM was a bad move by Apple.

• LatinoGeek says:

I have no way to verify that all iTunes tracks are DRM free. Only the ones I’ve perused/purchased (which isn’t that much really.) Dude, don’t make this about apple. It’s well known the content owners are the ones pushing for DRM. It’s a concession that apple has to make in order to make it available in their store.

• hansolo247 says:

Yes, but they want the content provider to pay extra to use the special Apple DRM instead of the other DRM.

THAT is why it doesn’t work in iTunes.

• ktetch says:

“Dude, don’t make this about apple. It’s well known the content owners are the ones pushing for DRM. It’s a concession that apple has to make in order to make it available in their store.”
              WRONG!!!! Oh so so wrong.

An acquaintance had an audiobook version of a book he wrote, and tried to get it onto iTunes. He didn’t want DRM. Apple REQUIRED it. He hates DRM, in fact, he offers the ebook versions for free. You might have heard of him, his name is Cory Doctorow.

So please, don’t trot out the claptrap of ‘Apple doesn’t want DRM’, apple has DRM free ones when it has no choice, but **WANTS** DRM, because it ensures product lock-in, especially in areas where it has a substantial majority.

• Paladin_11 says:

This isn’t about music though. And all iTunes video is encumbered with DRM. If Apple licensed their DRM I’m sure Warner and others would be happy to use it. But thankfully they don’t. Consumers should just make an effort to reject DRM’d content in every form, not wish for better DRM.

I’d take the movie back. Or better yet just sell the disk to a Windows person as used and include the digital download code. Studios hate the secondary market almost as much as they hate pirates.

• hansolo247 says:

Totally.

I just throw out the Digital Copy discs I get with BD’s and make a DRM free DVD copy instead. That works with literally anything.

Besides, its the only way I can play the movies I own on my Droid. It’s a DRM-neglected red-headed stepchild, and that’s a good thing.

2. Skellbasher says:

“Unfortunately, we cannot provide digital copies of our films in every portable media format for a variety of logistical reasons, which is why the Digital Copy offer may vary from title-to-title. “

Translation: We didn’t want to invest the money to come up with obtrusive DRM for OS X, so we’re not going to release digital copies for that platform.

• squirrel says:

More likely there’s some sort of schenanigans going on with Microsoft who likes these sort of “exclusivities”.

• dg says:

Bullshit. They could provide it in AVI or MPEG and people can convert it as they please. They just couldn’t work out some BOHICA deal with “Don’t Hold It That Way” Jobs, so you get screwed.

Take it back. Demand a refund. If you don’t get one, then leave it there, call the credit card company and charge back as being defective out of the box.

Then go download it for free from somewhere. Screw these fools.

3. Extended-Warranty says:

“If I were David I’d take the movie back to the store and argue it should accept a return for a refund on the grounds the digital copy wouldn’t work. Mac users, have you experienced similar frustrations?”

If I were the store, I’d tell you to pound salt.

Here’s a question, does a “digital copy” imply that you can do anything with it?

• Pax says:

If you told me to do that, I’d cite my state’s Consumer Protection laws, and suggest that maybe you would prefer to be talking to me in small claims court?

BTW, it’s “pound SAND”, not “pound SALT”.

• Sepp_TB says:

I’ve never heard ‘Pound Sand’ before, but ‘Pound Salt’ is a commonly used idiom where I’m from. I suspect there is a regional component to which is used, so be careful with your corrections =) Googling the phrase turns up tons of results.

• GMFish says:

It did work though. Exactly as promised. There was no promise whatsoever that it would play on Macs or Apple’s pretty products. Buyers should learn to research before buying.

• runswithscissors says:

Except that the teeny tiny fine print legalese that discloses this is on a card that lives INSIDE the sealed BluRay/DVD case.

And guess what you gotta do to get at that little card? Open the case!

And guess how many retailers will let you open a movie case (remove the shrinkwrap and seal) before you buy it?

None!

Oh! And you were so close to an OP blame too! Dang kids!

• Bye says:

4. eargang says:

Great news, everyone! I’ve got a great idea to lock out the biggest part of the market for portable media players!

5. aja175 says:

And they sit in their offices wondering why they can’t convince us to stop downloading movies…

6. Rocket says:

I never pay the extra to get digital copies. I just rip the DVD if I want. It’s my DVD, I can do with what I want, right?

So, yeah, I make my own digital copies at home.

• Preyfar says:

True, but he bought the Blu-Ray copy, and Apple doesn’t support Blu-Ray.

• Pax says:

You can do what you want with the DVD, yes … EXCEPT “make copies”.

• jvanbrecht says:

Incorrect, you can make copies for your own personnel use and backups. However, you cannot distribute them, and the process to make the copies may violate some stupid little law defined by the DMCA.

• ubermex says:

Did you guys miss when ripping became legal last week?

• Pax says:

It did? Where, how? Because that’s _great_ news … an entirely reasonable exception to Copyright …

• floyd fan says:

Well, no. It’s not an “exception to copyright”. It is, and has always been, protected by fair use as part of copyright law. The misguided DMCA laws made consumers think it was illegal for awhile, but it’s not.

• ktetch says:

It was, please check the laws.

It’s only 2 weeks ago, in the 4th 3-year revision of the DMCA, has exceptions been granted for personal-use copies. Previously, it was a violation of the DMCA to circumvent any effective copyright control method (which includes DRM). Your argument rested on the ‘personal use/fair use’ bit, which isn’t actually a right, but was an affirmative defence in a copyright infringement case. It was also trumped by the SPECIFIC statement of the DMCA that circumventing DRM was a violation.

In short, you could make a copy for backup, BUT not if it required circumventing DRM.

You still can’t. The exception granted states it’s not infringement”
                “When short clips are taken from DVDs encrypted with Content Scrambling System (CSS) for use in Education, Documentary filmmaking, and noncommercial videos.”

The other 5 have to do with cellphones, videogames, disabled access for ebooks, and for broken or obsolete security dongles.

7. El_Fez says:

Easy – bit torrent it. Problem solved!

8. andyg8180 says:

get the refund and get the regular bluray… The digi copy can be played on the 360 and PS3 without a problem… but i get it, a lot of people have ipods and stuff, would make sense for them to include that format… Blame apple for not accepting a regular format…

• cvt2010 says:

Um. Read the post. It’s not just the file format that “apple won’t accept”. He can’t even download the file without running Windows.

• FaustianSlip says:

There’s always the option of installing a Windows partition on his Mac, but that’s a pretty long way to go just to get a digital copy of your movie. Purely hypothetically, I wouldn’t find it particularly noxious if he had a friend or someone who owned the DVD and copied it onto his computer from them, given that the guy has bought the blu-ray. I don’t see him getting anywhere with the store, since most of the time the packaging will say what the operating requirements are to get the digital copy (albeit occasionally in tiny print).

• dg says:

Forget the blueray altogether – the encryption is ridiculous. They have “key upgrades” that can make your device useless, or otherwise lock you out of that which you purchased. and if you don’t apply the upgrade w/additional restrictions then you can’t play the new stuff…

So this is good for consumers how? Stick with DVD – easy to copy, easy to crack, easy to use where you want when you want to use it… Stop bending over for the BlueRay scam…

9. octowussy says:

So, how big would the print have to be for this guy to be happy? Are we at the point where printed disclaimers are not enough anymore? Should the cashier should have warned you before he walked you out to your car?

• benk1342 says:

He said the fine print was on the “insert,” implying that you can’t see it until you open the package. It’s not clear whether the back of the package makes clear whether the digital copy will play through iTunes, but I suspect that it is on the back of the package as well. I wouldn’t count on a digital copy without scrutinizing the back of the box first.

• Pax says:

What print, exactly?

The stuff that he was presented only AFTER making the purchase?

How, exactly, was that supposed to make his decision to purchase the movie any more informed?

• AI says:

Research online. The digital copy is a secondary product, like say, the special features. This is similar to complaining that the special features aren’t anamorphic or in surround sound. Sure, if there’s room, they should put this stuff on the box, but the primary product is the blu-ray, and so that’s what gets the box space.

• Conformist138 says:

Except, not having surround sound extras isn’t implied. Saying you get a digital copy without an asterisk for how it is only for Windows and isn’t available for some of the most popular portable media devices seems close to false advertising. Some people pointed out that Apple doesn’t support Blu Ray and it seems this is a big reason for a Mac-owner to buy a Blu Ray with a digital copy, so they can play it on their computers, too. Hiding such a big disclaimer that alienates a huge chunk of the market in teeny-tiny print inside the case is pretty slimey. It might be a secondary feature, but if that’s what the person paid for, it’s what they should get.

• hansolo247 says:

All the DVD/BD cases say what formats the Digital Copy supports.

If iTunes is on there (and may very well be because technical mistakes are very common and they just copy/paste) the OP has a case for a refund.

If not, SOL…just rip a copy.

• the_real_keenfrenzy says:

It is presented on the outside of the case. He made the purchase with the information available. He just chose not to read the section labeled “System Requirements”, which should be the first place your eyes go when buying software, which is exactly what a Digital Copy is.

• Skellbasher says:

The fact that the size of the print is even an issue is proof that it’s too small.

It’s not that hard to provide clear and detailed packaging and labeling. But, if you do, then the consumer is informed, and may not buy your product.

So, they don’t.

10. FaustianSlip says:

I’m a Mac user and have always assumed that a digital copy won’t play on my machine until I check the packaging (or online) and find something that specifically says it will. Not that it matters much, since I don’t buy blu-rays and just use Handbrake for digital copies of stuff that don’t come with a Mac-compatible digital copy. I don’t torrent them or anything, just stick them on my laptop and iPhone for personal use when traveling.

• ExtraCelestial says:

I think this would be a safe assumption in say, 2003. I think in 2010, in a time when Steve Jobs can sneeze and it makes international headlines, this is ridiculous.

• FaustianSlip says:

I don’t disagree; the idea that one can’t use the digital copy on any iTunes-supported device is definitely ludicrous, but years of assuming that stuff won’t work on my machine unless explicitly stated has conditioned me, I guess. That said, I have functioning digital copies for several movies that work just peachy with iTunes. Why Warner Brothers can’t get on the bandwagon, I don’t know. I wonder if the movie is available on the iTunes Music Store- if so, that’s really skeevy, since one can assume that they’re just trying to cash in double courtesy of iPod/iPhone users.

11. sufreak says:

I agree. Get it elsewhere. You’ve paid for it.

12. sufreak says:

There is universal DRM coming. Except for Apple and Disney. They want no part of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_%28DRM%29

13. GMFish says:

I felt it’s safe to assume…. I figured that I shouldn’t have a problem with the file download.

You’re confusing your feelings with objective facts. They’re not the same. Next time, research the product you’re buying first, to determine whether it’s compatible with your needs. (Then download it from the PB, of course!)

14. aybara says:

I’ve run into a few movies that have a Digital Copy that is Windows only. If the outside packaging doesn’t make this clear, I’ve been able to return them.

I think the big problem is that the Digital Copy is available to PURCHASE from iTunes. They just aren’t giving it away when you buy the movie.

15. balthisar says:

Lesson 1: Always check the packaging or requirements from the manufacturer’s site.
    Lesson 2: Google “the pirate bay”. See if it’s there.
    Lesson 3: Google “mac makemkv”. No longer free as in beer, but will keep you restriction free.

Note: I don’t endorse any of the above for jurisdictions where this may be illegal. I’m assuming it’s legal where you are, because I don’t know where you are.

16. bigd738778 says:

Tuff. It says on the print whether small or not that it is only Windows. Their are many times a coupon is only valid for an iTunes download and unless you break the DRM you cannot play them on any mp3 player. Consumerist you really need to start posting real abuses of customers or your site will become nothing more than just another fluff website that I can find on anyones blog.

• the_wandering_monster says:

iTunes no longer uses DRM, and hasn’t since 2009.

• apple420 says:

I thought that was only true for music. Movies still have DRM. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

• sqlrob says:

So the movies don’t have any protection? New to me, and probably Apple.

• hansolo247 says:

Please, Apple’s Alpha and Omega is DRM.

While not on the music anymore (for the most part) that doesn’t change the fact that the rest of iTunes is DRM-ville…population, NOT ME.

• MustWarnOthers says:

The core issue here is more about companies using digital copies to entice consumers to purchase a product, and having strings attached to that digital copy.

The fine print is properly extremely fine.

I don’t see how this is fluff. It sparks debate about companies and how they market their products.

If one company offers a digital copy that’s playable in multiple formats, across a wide array of devices, and another offers a digital copy that’s DRM ridden and pigeon holed onto one operating system, I want to know about it.

This way I can avoid giving my money to a company who engages in that type of DRM.

Your past comments seem to frequently mention “The Consumerist…”, perhaps this site isn’t for you.

• dpeters11 says:

But does it say that on the outside of the box, not just in the fine print inside? I also have seen movies with digital copies that expired before you even buy it.

Also, I thought Microsoft discontinued PlaysForSure several years ago?

17. BillyShears says:

It does seem to vary from title to title, but most packaging is usually very explicit in outlining what platforms the included digital copy supports. While I guess it’s kind of okay to assume that iTunes will always be covered, you really should play it safer and not do that, ever.

WB has covered iTunes in the past, and they probably still do. I don’t know what the issue is with Batman in particular, but if it wasn’t included this time it probably was some obtuse legal maneuver by someone. I’ve got Batman Begins and Speed Racer on BRD – both Warner Bros. titles – and both came with iTunes-friendly digital copies.

• MFfan310 says:

Universal clearly states on the back of the DVD/Blu-ray package of their movies with digital copies: “Not compatible with iPod, Mac, or Microsoft Zune”. It also says the digital copy system requirements (Windows XP or higher, WMP11 or higher, WMV-DRM capable portable device).

I wonder if the Warner Bros. disc said the same things.

• Pastry Minion says:

So what on earth is digital copy compatible with if not two of the best known portable music players? Sansa stuff?

18. Mike says:

I am surprised that his Macbook pro doesn’t have a blu-ray drive. Oh yeah, I forgot, for some strange reason Steve Jobs has been hating on blu-ray for a while now, is he holding out hope people will start buying Apple TV? I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were him.

• user765 says:

wow

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Is that “wow… you have no idea what you’re talking about?”
        Or is it “wow…you are the person I want to be, you are so amazingly correct.”

• user765 says:

It was neither, it was more “wow I can’t believe you read this story and in the end all you got out of it was a lame attempt at an apple/steve jobs joke”

19. Aesteval says:

Wait, you mean those so-called digital copies are supposed to be an incentive to purchase something? I tend to ignore them. Now the blu-ray copies that come bundled with a regular dvd copy as well are a little bit more interesting.

20. joe says:

i sent this exact item to Consumerist 1 or 2 months ago, except that the installer froze (windows 7 64-bit) and the website wouldn’t let me register. the whole thing is completely broken. and my item was about batman too! (the dark knight)

21. bullwinkle12 says:

Mac or not it’s assumed that a digital copy would be DRM’d and have limited uses. This isn’t anything new. Just rip a copy yourself. This hardly warrants an article.

22. Wang_Chung_Tonight says:

I’ll throw $20 in the pot to take this crap too court.

if we buy media we shouldn’t be told how we can use it. we bought it.

at least make the bastards say they are bastards, in non-microscopic print

• shufflemoomin says:

When you buy a DVD or Blu-ray, you’re already being told how to use it. It’s only playable in compatible equipment. Are you going to complain that your DVD disc doesn’t work in your VHS player or your Blu-Ray was ruined trying to put it in a record player? It’s no different with digital downloads. They’re playable in a certain format with certain equipment. Deal with it.

• Aesteval says:

There’s a difference between restrictions because of different hardware based technologies and restrictions based upon software controls.

23. johnrhoward says:

Yet another example that shows how DRM only hurts people who aren’t pirating content.

24. MFfan310 says:

WMV-DRM 11 with PlaysForSure = PlaysForSure on anything EXCEPT iPod, iPad, iPhone, most recent Creative Zen models, BlackBerry, any Android device, Palm webOS, Symbian, or even Microsoft’s own Zune(!)

There, I said it.

• ITDEFX says:

YEP…us Zune HD users are left out…..I’m actually getting annoyed with having to rip my own movies just to put them on my Zune HD..

• Pastry Minion says:

What are you using to rip movies to the Zune? I just got one and haven’t figured out what I should use to do this yet. It’s really annoying that the Windows Compatible DRM doesn’t work with a MS product.

25. Clyde Barrow says:

In other news, there are people that actually have the time to watch movies on iPods? Wow,,,

• grumpskeez says:

• FaustianSlip says:

I watched my iPod and iPhone halfway across the Pacific on a trip to Australia (until both their batteries and my spare conked out). That’s a lot of MST3K, incidentally. I’ve also watched them on long train rides and will be using them again when I move to China seven or eight months down the road.

Shocking, I know, that not everyone has the a lifestyle identical to yours.

• Concat says:

Clearly you’ve never been on an international flight. Or taken a bus, to…. anywhere.

26. ksig235 says:

I asked the same question about the same movie, and they said the same thing to me. I was very unhappy.

27. shufflemoomin says:

You’ll notice usage of the words ‘figured’ and ‘assumed’ in this article. It’s his own fault for not researching. Sure, it didn’t say it wouldn’t play on a Mac on the outside of the case but it’s also didn’t say it WOULD play either. Since he wasn’t sure either way, he should have asked the store staff, warner bros or checked it out online. I’m sorry, but I think it’s entirely his fault for making an assumption and he has no right to blame anyone else for that.

28. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

I make my own DRM at home.

29. Sword_Chucks says:

I used to, then companies got their head out of their butts and realized there are other operating systems out there. My main example of this was the web’s catered development to IE and no other browser, and so many websites required IE even after Microsoft stopped making IE for mac. It is absurd to even expect people to be able to fit in these guidelines anymore. This is another losing argument for DRM. WAY too many examples of my own in the last week.

30. seven says:

In the past I’ve had to use iTunes to get digital copies for my iPhone. Just pop the disc in and start iTunes (and some other magic is involved). Sounds to me that they decided to tack on some more DRM to the scheme.

31. AI says:

Let’s clarify this: When company sells you something that will work on your computer, it means Windows computer 100% of the time. If it worked on a Mac they’d specifically say Mac, if it worked on Linux they’d specifically say Linux, but for right now, computer=Windows.

Note: This digital copy will also not run on an Allen-Bradley PLC, an Amiga, a TI-83, your bank’s ATM, an F/A-18’s MFD, or any Jumbotron. You have been warned.

• MFfan310 says:

Turns out most bank ATMs now run on hardened, ultra-secured versions of Windows XP or higher after IBM killed OS/2. NCR, Diebold, Wincor/Nixdorf… doesn’t matter. So this digital copy will work in an ATM.

Just not on a Mac, or on most mobile devices.

32. framitz says:

Seems the only real problem here is that the insert in the movie package only states lack of support for Apple in fine print which the OP missed the first read through.

This is a non issue.

33. AI says:

The box clearly say, “Not compatible with iTunes or with Macintosh and iPod devices” Here’s a link to an image of the back of the box: http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/1256721-blurayb_super.jpg

34. galonar says:

This isn’t the first time WB has done this. They pulled a similar stunt with Green Lantern: First Flight.

35. TheGreySpectre says:
  36. Weekilter says:

Any company in 2010 that doesn’t provide Mac compatibility is not worth spending money to line their pockets.

“Warner Home Video is committed to offering Digital Copy as widely as possible. Unfortunately, we cannot provide digital copies of our films in every portable media format for a variety of logistical reasons, which is why the Digital Copy offer may vary from title-to-title.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate your feedback and continued support of Warner Home Video releases.”

I guess they don’t give a krap about losing money for people who are never going to use their product. Non “Support” for Warner Home Video releases just ended.

• FaustianSlip says:

I did find it mildly hilarious that they responded as though he was asking about some super-obscure format instead of the format supported by the single most widely-used brand of personal media players on the market. “We can’t support every format…” or, y’know, the one with the largest user base.

37. YankeeSR23 says:

What is funny about this is that there is a digital copy of that movie in the iTunes store itself. So the question is why don’t they give out a free code that works for that version?

I ran into the same problem a while back when I bought the blu-ray version of Batman/Superman: Public Enemies. I wanted the digital version so I had to buy the iTunes version and I am stuck with the worthless code for the Windows only version. I wish WB would put the compatibility in bigger letters because I am pretty sure it didn’t say it on the packaging, I could be wrong of course.

38. trillium says:

The movie is available for download on iTunes Movie store – I’m almost certain that is iPod/iTunes compatible. This isn’t WB not even choosing to use OS X/iTunes DRM, it is evident they do that because you can purchase the movie. You’d think WB would have a different distribution method for digital download that actually supports a format that they offer iTunes).

On that note – there should have been an indication on the outside of the wrapper as to which OS are compatible with the digital download.

39. TheUncleBob says:

#badconsumer
    The back of the package very clearly states “Not compatible with iTunes or with Macintosh and iPod devices” in bold letters. Instructing the customer to return the merchandise and lie about the reason for return is poor consumerism. The two take aways from this should be:
    A.) Read the package of the item you wish to buy and familiarize yourself with it until you are comfortable that it meets your needs.
    B.) Don’t buy future “digital downloads” from Warner Bros.

40. KrispyKrink says:

With a reply like that from WB, just let them know you have Handbrake and BitTorrent at your disposal.

41. godai says:

On the sleeve that came on my copy of the Blue Ray
    “Not compatible with iTunes(R) or with Macintosh(R) and ipod(R) devices” in bold though it is in small print.

42. farker says:

The notice that the Digital Copy was Windows only should have been more prominent on the outer packaging of the DVD. Other than that, WB is free to support (or not) whichever platforms it chooses (whether that is a wise business decision or not is another issue).

43. prismatist says:

Handbrake it AND return it as defective. If they don’t want to do business, don’t bloody well do business with them.

44. Alex says:

Bittorrent!

They don’t want to give you a digital copy of the movie you paid for, get it from someone who will. This is a perfect reason why DRM is going to kill movies and music. If studios provided media in open formats, David wouldn’t have this problem.

45. Ben says:

Just make your own digital copy.

46. the_real_keenfrenzy says:

Sorry, the back of the box says that the Digital Copy is not compatible with iTunes or iPod devices.

47. pot_roast says:

Aside from the folks that just want stuff for free, this is one of the huge reasons why people will pirate stuff. And this is a situation where I would have no moral qualms about downloading a copy of the movie. He purchased a product that says it includes a digital copy, so I think it would be just fine if he obtained a digital copy somehow.

Also note that it’s not even compatible with the Zune.

I hate DRM.

48. tape says:

I will continue to “pirate” movies until the studios stop this sort of bullshit. Which is to say, I will probably be “pirating” movies until I die.

49. FrugalFreak says:

I get p3wned like this every time I watched a movie with Netflix because of no Closed Captioning, Welcome to the club you didn’t fight for because we were the minority.

50. Concat says:

You know who can provide a digital copy that will work on any machine. It begins with pirate and ends with bay.

Instances like these just highlight the painfully ironic fact that a free, albiet illegal, service offers a better product than the commercially available one. Hollywood is competing with a free service that offers a better product. It boggles the mind.

51. MSUHitman says:

FYI this is for WB Digital Copies now, not just the animated ones. The last WB movie with Digital Copy that I got that will work in ITunes is Watchmen.

52. bitplayer says:

if they are marketing this for use on mobile device Apple has the most marketshare. I mean this file wouldn’t even work on a Zune. How screwed up is this?

53. chbrules says:

How could piracy possibly be this rapmant when you have such quality “caveats” like this?!

54. robhoward7 says:

I found out the same thing when I recently purchased the Bluray/dvd combo packs for Harry Potter 1-4 w/ digital copy. Come to find out I could only get the windows version. I am asking for a itunes code to download it from itunes.

Harry Potter 1-6 is right there on itunes. Weird because they supplied the itunes version of HP6 when I bought the combo pack.

WB is discriminating against itunes, ipod, iphone, & ipad users.