Start Your Christmas Decorating Before Labor Day, Thanks To Costco

Daniel reports that Christmas decorations are already out at his San Francisco Costco. “SERIOUSLY, WTF?? It’s not even September yet!!” he writes. Like that stops anyone.

PREVIOUSLY:
Screw The Heat; Sears Wants To Sell You Christmas Crap Now
Christmas Creeps In Slowly At Macy’s

Comments

1. DarrenO says:

Every year the same story. Believe it or not, BUSINESSES shop at Costco. You know, businesses that might make Christmas baskets or other items where they actually NEED this stuff to get their product ready for the Christmas season.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think this is the most reasonable explanation. Costco rolls out these things early mostly because everything is in bulk. Presumably, you shop there for Christmas items because you require large quantities. If you have to put together 300 baskets, you have to start early. Likewise, craft and hobby shops put stuff out way early too because making things takes time.

• Mr. Pottersquash says:

plus, in this economy making some side scratch in the handmade knick-knack racket is appealing to most.

• skylar.sutton says:

+1 Take a stroll through a JoAnn fabrics or other craft center… they already have Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas stuff ready for the crafters.

My wife went there a month before Christmas one year looking for some decorations – it was slim pickings and 80% off because they had already staged up the Valentines Day and St. Patty’s Day supplies.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I don’t think people shop at JoAnn fabrics except for mostly seasonal items. So it makes sense for that kind of store to always have the next holiday’s items available.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

I shop at JoAnn fabrics all the time, and not just for seasonal items. People who make quilts, sew their own clothes, design costumes, sell crafts, etc. are in there all the time.

• El_Red says:

• It'sRexManningDay! says:

Ah…good point. This now seems quite reasonable!

2. msky says:

So what do the ‘Christmas Tree’ shops the rest of the year?

3. Blueberry Scone says:

Seeing this Christmas stuff so early in the year just kills the holiday for me.

• Blueberry Scone says:

ETA: I understand why a store will start selling Christmas merchandise at this time, but I still get a bit bummed out when I see Christmas lights and wrapping paper in August.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

really? That’s pretty sad

• Blueberry Scone says:

Half the fun of Christmas (for me) is the anticipation. If you start seeing stuff out in August, it’s just not fun anymore.

4. ablestmage says:

Hobby Lobby starts putting out Christmas in late May or early June. I worked thru 2 Christmases there, and the lack of staff to put it all out, and the incredible volume of stuff to put out definitely warrants starting that early.

• 750 says:

Thanks for explaining this, that helps a bit. We have noticed our Hobby Lobby putting up decorations in early July and couldn’t ever figure out why.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Plus the customers who make stuff need to get started early. I always want to make Christmas stuff and then don’t get around to it. You definitely have to take some extra time.

5. CaptCynic says:

I give it three years before we start seeing Christmas stuff year round.

6. savashley says:

Ohhh man now I’m ready for Christmas..or at least some cooler weather. And football season :)

7. smbizowner says:

get over it. most companies selling Christmas decor have had mdse out since June or July.

Companies who provide those Christmas decorations for other companies have been designing and working with Christmas product for a couple months now. (how else will they be ready to dress the bank etc in November)

Just avert your eyes and move on……

8. haimtime says:

I was going to send this in a week ago, but I figured while on vacation, someone would have gotten to it.

9. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Honestly? I’m just glad that xmas is not edging out 4th of July quite yet.

10. dustindmw says:

Who cares? These types of stories are posted a lot, but who cares and what does it matter

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Look man. This is 30% of the posts starting from July until the end of October.
      So, you better get used to it!

11. pantheonoutcast says:

At least we know that San Francisco hasn’t decided to ban Christmas yet.

12. PsiCop says:

OK, now THIS is a GENUINE example of Christmas Creep. Unlike the Hobby Lobby story back in June or July, because as a “craft” store, it’s natural for HL to be ahead of the rest in selling holiday materials.

13. Donathius says:

I worked for Costco for a summer in college one year and they told us that they start stocking seasonal items one quarter before the season – mostly for institutional buyers that need to buy stuff that early. So yeah, it is kind of Christmas creep, but it’s a different kind. This one isn’t nearly as consumer focused as it looks.

14. BoredOOMM says:

Yes folks, you will see Christmas Creep at Costco. You will also have to show a receipt. If this is a problem, stop at the desk and get your $50 back…..

15. brinks says:

I was a “Visual Specialist” for a department store years ago and it was my job to put up all the Christmas decorations. The rule was that we had to have everything set by Halloween. Customers bitched about it all the time.

We started seeing the Christmas stuff that was actually for sale start to come in around September. People actually bought it then, so I think companies just test the waters and see how early they can drag this stuff out and actually make a sale on it. As ridiculous as it seems, retailers do it because some wackos actually buy it now. I mean…it’s 90 degrees out today. I’m certainly thinking about putting up a Christmas tree.

16. nbs2 says:

Please see my comments from last year’s story about the same for a link to Costco’s many-year-old-straight-from-the-horse’s-mouth explanation about their seasonal product system. I’m tired of having to hunt it down year after year.

17. JulesNoctambule says:

Craft items I can understand, but I’ve seen a ton of Christmas decorations in far too many stores already. Does anyone really need to start setting up their fake-snow-dusted, Christmas-themed, light-up village scene this early in the year?

• econobiker says:

I like the Halloween version of the Christmas little town with ghosts, graveyards, haunted mansions/ships, ghouls, etc- I think it was at Micheal’s last year. My two preteen boys also liked it though because of the crazy situations displayed. I remember the songs or sounds were really loud though…

18. AllanG54 says:

Hell, HSN and QVC have been having Christmas shows since the summer solstice.

19. jefeloco says:

Um, my wife and I are terrible people. We set up all of our christmas stuff in our rear living room last year and haven’t taken it down YET!

It’s kind of one of those “out of sight, out of mind” things because we rarely use that room for anything other than studying. And of course, when we are studying we don’t pay that much attention to the decorations.

Weak excuse over, we are horrible.

• savashley says:

Don’t feel bad..we put up two trees in our house every year, a fake one in our sunroom and a real one in our game room…the real one came down pretty quickly (when I say quickly I mean by mid-January), but the fake one was up until April, and it’s like that every year! We just get used to it after a while and don’t even think about it lol.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Don’t feel bad! I have had Xmas decorated garland over my sliding glass door for going on three years now-every once in a while, it occurs to me that people that are coming over for the first time might find it odd.

20. Horselady says:

I predict it won’t be long before Christmas stuff in out in the spring…………..

21. Jerkamie says:

They also have snow pants out at mine

22. Big Mama Pain says:

I think it’s good for spreading out your holiday spending over a few months instead of all at once closer to the holidays. I like to start shopping for gifts around now, that way there isn’t a time/money crunch later on. I make a lot of small gifts, too-so this gives me supplies in advance.

23. dmurphy04 says:

Oh, it’s worse than you think. This is actually stuff being sold for Christmas 2011, not 2010.

/joke stolen from somewhere on the internet.