MTV News Becomes Paid Shill For FreeCreditScore.com

Maybe you didn’t take MTV News too seriously to begin with, but if you did you might want to reconsider. BrandChannel started noticing that MTV News was posting articles about FreeCreditScore.com’s contest for a new sellout band for its TV spots. (This is the same company as FreeCreditReport.com; both charge for their services and generally suck.) The problem with the paid MTV sponsorship is that it’s not disclosing that the “news stories” are just advertorials.

Remember, the only place you can get a free credit report is from the government-mandated annualcreditreport.com.

“MTV Quietly Plugs FreeCreditScore.com” [BrandChannel] (Thanks to Abram!)

Comments

1. dbeahn says:

Worse, I got an email from MINT.com telling me that my credit score should be updated, which linked me FreeCreditScore.com

2. Maximus Pectoralis says:

I am curious why their services “generally suck”? I have used the Experian service in the past, and now have it included for free as part of my mortgage (I believe that was a result of Countrywide’s extensive personal information leak). While the “free” part is kind of deceptive, I think the site is useful since it allows me to get credit alerts and full report / score updates once per day if necessary. The annual credit report is nice but it doesn’t include a score and once per year is not often enough if you’re monitoring around a critical time like a car or house purchase.

• MGX42 says:

I think the main complaint about freecreditreport.com is that they are deceptive in selling their services. Sure, there are people who might want to have ongoing monitoring of their credit score, but their business practices have involved fooling people into signing up for a monthly service that they did not want by offering a “free” credit report. They cover their ass enough to avoid being found to be illegal, but they are generally a scammy operation.

• womynist says:

Personally, I didn’t find anything deceptive about their website. It was very clear (to me at least) that I was signing up for an ongoing, $12.95/month credit monitoring service, which is what I was looking for. If someone isn’t sure about what they’re signing up for, they should NEVER enter their credit card #.

• womynist says:

I agree. When I was cleaning up my credit and paying off old debts from college, I used Free Credit Report.com and I loved the service. I knew right off the bat that I was going to be charged $12.95 monthly, and the only free part was the initial credit report that I got for a 7-day trial. Although they didn’t use the FICO scoring model, I was able to see my credit score increase as bills were paid and old debts timed out on my report.

Contrary to what many folks here have said, I got NO hassle when I called to cancel. They only asked me once if I wanted to keep the service at a rate that was 1/2 of my original $12.95/mo (I almost took the deal), and I politely declined and just told them I was happy with their service and no longer required constant access to my report. I did love how I got an email every time something changed on my report-if it’s something fraudulent you can immediately report it.

Still hate the commercials and the jingle, though!

• sarahhope82 says:

Well, I think the fact that they sell the wothless PLUS score, that no lenders use, and not the FICO score is a big part of the problem. What is the point in paying for something that NO LENDER USES? You can get a good sense of how strong your credit history is by looking at your credit report. Late payments = bad. High balances = bad. Don’t need to pay for that. However, if you do really want to pay to see your score, doesn’t it make sense to purchase the score that most lenders use?

3. rpm773 says:

It’s MTV. Honestly, I can’t think of anyone in a position paying attention to these ads who’d I feel sorry for upon learning they were taken in by them.

But, I suppose any revenue stream will only keep FreeCreditScore.com and its annoying ads around that much longer, so maybe I should fire up the ol’ Outrage-O-Matic after all.

4. mbz32190 says:

So, does MTV News actually talk about music and the like or is it “news” about their zillion tween “reality” shows?

• DoubleEcho says:

Agreed – MTV stopped being about music almost 2 decades ago.
      I am disappoint.

• howie_in_az says:

I recently acquired 3 hours of unedited MTV from 1981 or 1980. Not a reality show in sight. It was glorious.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

The ‘M’ hasn’t stood for ‘Music’ for some time now. Notice that they’ve removed the “Music Television” bit from their logo. I think there was even an article on Consumerist when they did it.

• Conformist138 says:

Money
      Moronic
      Materialistic

“Music” television died sad and alone quite some time ago. (Actually, Supernews did a pretty good bit where they followed the MTV logo to it’s death in a booze-soaked alley)

5. qbubbles says:

I like myfico.com for credit monitoring. I think its like $60 a year for constant monitoring and you get three free reports a year that include your number. If you want to quit, its a quick click. They tell me when they’re about to charge me for the next year, too.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’m a big fan of myfico. I don’t subscribe to credit monitoring but their website is one of the only ones that give you an actual FICO score.

6. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I hate when sites post “stories” about something they have a financial interest in, and don’t disclose it to their readers who may actually trust them.

7. jeffbone says:

I haven’t taken MTV seriously in years, ever since they forgot what the “M” in “MTV” stood for.

8. ZekeDMS says:

Kurt Loder must be spinning in his metaphorical grave, after all those years he tried to bring MTV news some credibility.

9. teke367 says:

Well, how else do you expect them to pay the $30k a week salary to those Jersey Shore castmembers?

10. sanjaysrik says:

MTV has news?

Tha’s like the IRS is getting into the music business.

11. DanKelley98 says:

Doesn’t this violate new FTC rules regarding disclosure by blogs and the like?

12. Puddy Tat says:

Freecreditscore.com sux as does their new band!!!!

13. INsano says:

Cable TV is the most brilliant scheme ever. You get a bunch of retards to PAY you to deliver advertisements to them.

14. ben_marko says:

MTV is a corporate joke.

15. TehLlama says:

MTV? Sellouts?… You’re surprised?
    The brilliance of their business model is that it was commercials punctuated by commercials to begin with. Somehow they’ve bollocksed that up to where neither is watchable – well done idiots!