Install Flash On iPhone 4, 3GS

Now that the government says it’s okay to jailbreak your iPhone, you can follow these instructions and install the Flash on your iPhone 4 that Apple engineers forgot to, without fear that the ninjas are gonna getcha.

The tweak involves jailbreaking your iOS device, installing OpenSSH and Cyberduck or WinSCP and then installing the Frash program. If you don’t don’t know what jailbreaking is, you probably shouldn’t do it, and remember that doing so voids your warranty.

Flash / Frash Ported to iPhone 4 !! [Redmond Pie]

Comments

1. JRules says:

Good think Apple just release an OS upgrade that kills Jailbreaking and therefore killing the point of this post.

• Darrone says:

Bahahahahaha. Yea, they release something to kill jail breaking every few months, and MAGIC, its gets jail broken again. Ussually takes about 1-2 days for the simple ones, sometimes a week for the more complex updates. But it WILL ALWAYS be jail broken.

• ieatcatastrophe says:

plus, you could always just NOT UPDATE if you want to keep your jailbreak, considering the only thing this update fixes is the PDF exploit.

• seth_lerman says:

Yes because magically the millions of phone out there will all of a sudden update themselves without the owners knowledge.

Oh wait, that’s not how it works…

2. Darrone says:

Was the law actually stopping anyone? It really wasn’t “illegal” before, so much as it was legally murky. No one was going to jail to putting flash on their iPhone.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

That, I believe, was the issue. The law was unclear, and Apple was trying to get people in jail for jailbreaking their devices. Now, its been officially clarified.

You’ll void your warrantee, but you won’t go to jail.

• tubedogg says:

Even if Apple was interested in pursuing individuals for jailbreaking their own phone, which they weren’t, Apple has no power to put anybody in jail. They could have sued them as a civil matter, possibly, but we all saw how well that worked out for the RIAA, and in those cases at least the legitimate argument could be made it was causing harm to the record companies. Apple’s legal department and PR firm has a bit more solid grip on reality than the RIAA.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

“Show me one article, from any news source, I don’t care how dubious, that was reporting Apple was trying to put people in prison for jailbreaking their phones.”

…you mean like that dodgy site The Consumerist?

• DD_838 says:

That is regarding people who would make money from jailbreaking phones (i.e. you set up a kiosk in the mall). Your average Joe was NEVER in any danger. Not only would a jury never convict I doubt DA’s would even waste tax payers dollars by prosecuting in the first place.

This might sound dumb, but if they took the “jail” out of “jailbreaking” people would be a lot less nervous about doing it. I mean the phone is your property after all.

• tubedogg says:

It wasn’t murky. You were circumventing access controls, which is one of the points of the DMCA. The fact that the Registrar of Copyrights/Library of Congress had to make a ruling of a specific exception to jailbreak your phone (not just the iPhone, but any phone) tells you that it was previously illegal under the DMCA.

See http://www.chillingeffects.org/anticircumvention/faq.cgi#QID91

3. jayde_drag0n says:

i love homestar runner!.. Strongbad FTW!

4. BadgerPudding says:

Or you could buy a Droid.

• pop top says:

But if my phone doesn’t have an apple on it, how will everyone know how underground and anti-establishment I am?

• cashxx says:

But I’m using an Android phone that is a copy of an iPhone. I’m an iPhone wanna be only my Android phone likes to reboot. I feel like I’m using a Microsoft phone, you know how Microsoft copied Apple all these years, now we have a new comer, Google that does the coping.

• grumpskeez says:

-1 Apple and Microsoft both copied Xerox to being with. You lose an internet. Close your craptop and go experience the real world since you’re failing miserably at the digital world.

• SanDiegoDude says:

Ouch. I just snorted my morning coffee with that one. Too bad you couldn’t work in turtlenecks, goatees and starbucks in. Would have been truly epic.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I’m glad you have money for an ETF in addition to the new hardware. Some of us don’t.

5. cashxx says:

Let the battery drainage begin……yuck who uses flash. Wish HTML5 would pick up! I’d like to see Flash and Silverlight go away.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Imagine the joy of being able to go to stupid restaurant websites now without worrying about whether you’ll be able to watch a five minute demo before being allowed to see a flashy flash menu that does stupid worthless things for no reason!

• Martha Chang says:

Actually, Silverlight is a pretty awesome API for streaming video. The only problem with it is that flash is already the dominant API since it’s everywhere, so nobody wants to have to go and convert all their code to Silverlight for the sake of performance boosts. Same reason why there are tons of machines out there still running Windows XP instead of 7.

If you think Silverlight is bad because Apple says it’s bad, remember this: Apple doesn’t like open standards and open-source code, they just dislike proprietary code when they’re not the proprietors.

• cashxx says:

I don’t like flash and silverlight because they are troublesome plugins for the browsers. Flash causes stability issues at times and I’m sure Silverlight does too. I’m tired of pushing updates out to clients being a network admin, not because Apple tells me Flash sucks.

• cashxx says:

Also now we have a mess with Google Chrome. Yesterday Tuesday Aug 10 Adobe released a Flash update for the OS X platform and now today Wednesday Aug 11 a new Chrome came out because of the Flash update. If it was HTML5 only it would only be a browser update, just causing a big mess.

6. XianZhuXuande says:

Frash on iOS is not production quality. Expect crashing and other general performance issues for the time being. Also expect limited compatibility.

7. Traveshamockery says:

Homestar Runner…the killer app of Flash on the iPhone.

Everybody…EVERYBODY!

8. bluecoyote says:

So now I can install Flash and enjoy all of those wonderful animated ads I go out of my way to block on my desktop.

• DanRydell says:

Pretty much, yeah. There isn’t much useful Flash on the web except flash video, and the Flash video sites mostly have alternatives for non-Flash users.

I’ve had an iPhone for 2 years and haven’t wished I had Flash once.

9. user765 says:

Frash’s dev is very insistent that this is not ready for users to install, mainly because it is illegal. Maybe people should listen.

From his twitter “It’s illegal because adobe hasn’t allowed us to distribute the runtime, yet.”

10. Martha Chang says:

Now that we can actually get flash proper on the iPhone, I’d love to see some benchmarks to see whether or not Flash actually drains battery life like Apple claims it does.

• cashxx says:

Don’t have too just use an Android phone with flash on it and watch the battery drain and enjoy the lag.

11. cristiana says:

I installed this the other day because I was curious. And although it somewhat works in safari, the plugin crashes random apps. It looks like the apps that crashed all had some sort of html rendering in it. This makes sense because they all use the same libraries and routines to display html. I uninstalled it pretty quickly after that.

12. almightytora says:

Also notice that he is using T-Mobile, not AT&T, as the service provider.

13. barbcole says:

Bad journalism. This is not Flash, it’s Frash. Frash is an attempt at a runtime that will display Flash content. Unsupported, not developed by Adobe, a hack job if you will. It is not Flash, like you can find on Android (or your PC/MAC).

People are apt to read this and think they can get legitimate Flash on their phones — and spout off about how crappy Adobe’s products are when it’s a big bag of fail in it’s current development form.

Interesting progress is being made — but this is a proof of concept developer hack job, not a product end users should be installing. You should be making that very clear.

14. Quatre707 says:

Adobe needs to grow a pair and release a full feature flash implementation via Cydia.

15. Suisei says:

I installed this just now and can report that I don’t see any super slowdowns nor extreme memory usage. IOS4 itself has already killed my battery life because of its horrible multitasking attempt Luckily I can close apps at will using SBSettings. Also, theres a SBSettings toggle you can use to turn off Frash when you don’t need to use it. This should help those who are afraid of super lag issues and incompatibility crashes.

Bottom line is that I don’t recommend installing this unless you are fairly aware of the jailbreaking process. If you don’t know, ask your kid brother or something because almost every youngster i’ve spoken to knows about jailbreaking and would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

16. ap0 says:

That guide makes it way too hard. You can just add a repo on Cydia and install it. Repo is repo.benm.at.

It doesn’t work on complicated sites, but it is nice in that you have to activate it on sites before it begins to execute/drain battery/make the phone lag. It’s a cool proof of concept more than anything, and it shouldn’t be construed as anything but a pre-pre-alpha prototype sort of thing.

• blissfool says:

Yeah. I got it through the repo 2 days ago and not stable at all. But it was neat to see it at least try to load up flash.

One weird thing I’ve experienced is that, it would not let me scroll down the page until I’ve activated the flash content on the screen by clicking on them. I’m not sure if that’s an expected behavior.

17. AshleyKeen says:

Can you do it on a 3G iPod touch?