Comcast Charges $2 For You To Deliver Their Cable Boxes

Comcast may have sent you a shiny new digital cable box for free, but that doesn’t mean that you can give it back for free. If you want to de-clutter your house and bring your box back, you’re going to have to pay up. An anonymous reader tells the Consumerist phone tipline that Comcast charged him $1.99 to take his spare cable boxes off his hands.

Here’s his message – or read the transcript below, if you prefer.

A few months ago, Comcast Cable made it mandatory that everybody to get new digital boxes. They stated that the first three boxes would be free. I got my 3 free boxes and then a month or so later I moved. I had no use for two of the boxes, as I had less TVs and and we also upgraded one of them to an HD box. Probably sat around my car for a couple of months, and finally the other day I brought them back. The two free boxes. This month I got my bill and it’s a $1.99 charge for turning in. this free equipment. I just thought maybe the consumers would like to know that. Thanks!

Has anyone else experienced this exciting fee?

Comments

1. Griking says:

Doesn’t Comcast charge people $1.99 to make changes to their accounts? This may be the fee that he’s seeing and not specifically because he turned in converter boxes.

• Twonkey says:

In my case Comcast tried to charge me $12.99 for the privilege of downgrading my account from three services to a single service. I told them to cancel everything and didn’t get charged a single cent.

• coren says:

If they were sitting in is car for a couple months like stated, I’d think the change happened a couple months ago (so it wouldn’t be just showing up now…)

• DanRydell says:

You don’t have to change anything on your account when you stop using the free digital converter boxes.

it would be nice to see his bill, unfortunately we can’t see it over the phone.

• TasteyCat says:

They charged me $1.99 to go from leased modem to owned modem.

2. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

When can we leave voice comments here? I would love to hear the dulcet tones of some of the commenters here.

3. Dallas_shopper says:

Wow…AT&T U-verse lets you bring your unused equipment to UPS where they will ship it back to AT&T at no cost to you. Very convenient.

4. Dominar Rygel the XVI says:

“Probably sat around my car for a couple of months”

could this $1.99 be a late fee? what was the title of the fee on the bill?

I doubt that any company would simply charge to get their equipment returned (which would make people less likely to return the equipment on a timely basis, therefore costing the company more in the long run).

he did mention that he made changes to his service. I bet this has to do with letting the equipment kick around in his car for months, which is a terrible place to store electronics in the first place

• Marshmelly says:

“I doubt that any company would simply charge to get their equipment returned”

remember that this is Comcast….haha

5. Hoss says:

Yes, we all talk like that in Massachusetts

• DanDestructo says:

haha….my comment was going to be around the fact that this guy is obviously from the Boston area…

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I know I’m more critical because this is what I do for a living, but seeing “less TVs” and “dollar, 99 charge” makes me wonder whether people learn anything at all in school.

• Marshmelly says:

I get “99 charge” (perhaps she forgot the word cent), but just curious…whats wrong with saying “less TVs”? I suppose “fewer TVs” would have sounded better, but it didn’t really jump out at me as being grammatically wrong or anything.

• mobiuschic42 says:

Well, saying fewer sounds “better” because saying less is grammatically incorrect. However, it’s not something I’d call a stranger on. My boyfriend on the other hand… ;)

• NarcolepticGirl says:

It’s just dialect.

• Hoss says:

Have you ever heard Jack Welch (former GE chair) speak? He’s a PhD. It has little to do with education

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

It’s Google Voice. I’m guessing it’s the transcript.

• chiieddy says:

He’s probably from the Worcester area. No one actually from Boston or the immediate vicinity says ‘Car’ like that.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

I dunno man. I grew up In the Boston suburbs and lived in Boston for 4 years and I don’t think I have ever written “dollar, 99 charge”.

…Although, for some reason, it now sounds familiar…

• Hoss says:

Maybe you don’t remember going into Brigham’s and asking about the price of a coffee frappe? (I almost said Friendly’s but I think they called them a Fribble)

6. ThunderRoad says:

I’m sure this was a $1.99 fee on the other fees they charge.

7. Bativac says:

So they charge you to deliver the boxes. Or, they pick the boxes up, but the driver never delivers them, and they charge you the full replacement cost.

What a terrible company.

8. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Any chance the boxes were scrap or bad from sitting in the heat so long and it was a tech recycling fee that the state mandates? I know in NJ, they put taxes on many things in recent years, and claim it’s to offset the costs of properly disposing of haz mat stuff like monitors and tires.

9. chasingveronica says:

The $1.99 fee was for the boxes themselves. Once he upgraded to an HD box, the DTA was no longer “free”.

10. Marshmelly says:

Ugh Comcast. I was on the phone with 3 different Comcast reps yesterday…and literally the only thing I wanted to know was when I would be receiving a $25 credit on an account I closed in June. Person 1 told me they were holding my credit because I hadn’t returned a cable box (considering I only had internet service, I have no idea where that came from), person 2 tried to convince me my credit was actually a charge. After realizing he was completely wrong he told me that my account hadn’t officially been closed yet and that I’d receive the credit in October (?). Person 3 told me the previous two were wrong, that my account had been closed for a month and that I’d be receiving a credit in 2 weeks and also took down my forwarding address (which no one really bothered to ask me for before).

Why is this company made of such serious fail?

11. Alvis says:

FEWER

12. peebozi says:

seems legit to me. comcast stock isn’t going to increase it’s profits simply by subscriptions.

13. skapig says:

They make bank off of set top boxes. The technology is nothing intense and would be very cheap if offered on the free market. However leasing them is far more profitable than competition. Many boxes can be reused, although they do they eventually phase in new models and phase out others.

14. ComcastBonnie says:

Hmm, something about this sounds wrong. I’ll have to check this out for dude! :)

15. Resurgent says:

Comcast will sneak in a fee anyway they can. Even though their service is is behind the curve I think we should be more understanding. They have to screw us as much as possible as they have overpaid management and executives.