Coinstar Lets You Use Change To Buy Farmwars, Mafiaville Junk

Coinstar, which has more than 60,000 change-converting kiosks around the world, is offering an alternative to cash and gift cards by serving up Facebook Credits to spend on games and applications on the social networking site.

To get customers in a Facebook Credit-using mood, Coinstar is offering 10 free credits to those who opt for cash instead. The free credit promotion stars today and runs through Sept. 7.

The promotion also offers a bonus to those who choose to convert their change into Facebook funny money: After every 10th exchange customers will be told to buy a life. Just kidding.

Coinstar to add the ability to convert change to Facebook credits
[GamePro via Destructoid]

Comments

1. tresser says:

goddammmitsomuch

2. COBBCITY says:

Sad. IMHO Facebook is an advertising supported site and games like this should be free to encourage members to spend more time there. Facebook has not and will not see a dime from my pocket.

• ellemdee says:

The games are free to play, but many offer “premium” items that cost real money to buy. So you can still play for free and “buy” most items by earning point in the games, but you just can’t get certain new shiny-shiny virtual items without ponying up the cash.

3. moorie679 says:

Hey whatever floats people’s boats, I saw someone playing an arcade game within a game that was on face book. Like that episode of the Office with Dwigth’s in game character having a second-second life. I spend my money on booze, which is pointless/dumb they spend their change on farming virtual lands. It is entertainment

4. Destron says:

Sad part is, most of the people that use these machines are flat ass broke and trying to round up some cash to get by, bad enough some of them do it just for cigarettes or beer, but now you have to dangle even more temptation in front of their face to prevent them from making a responsible choice with the little bit of money they found?

Meh, I always thought these machines were a racket anyway to pay something to convert your coins in to cash.

5. anime_runs_my_life says:

Hehe, Mafiaville. I’ll have to tease the husband about that tonight.

• AK47 - Now with longer screen name! says:

Ok, so I am one of the people getting annoyed with Phil’s antics. But “Farmwars” and “Mafiaville” made me giggle (more than it should have, really, but I’m easy to please), and has thus raised him back a notch or two in my book.

6. Daverson says:

I don’t see what the big deal is. Coinstar is offering a convenience for people who want to spend money on online games. So what?

7. econobiker says:

And Coinstar (et al) is why self serve checkouts do not have coin dump bins but a tiny slot- usually horizontal which is a more difficult way to insert the coins.

I know as I have fed self serve checkouts multiple coins to rid my car of change…

8. Alessar says:

I don’t think you can use facebook credit for the zynga games. They have their own currency.

9. phallusu says:

their machines SUCK – they have two at a safeway near me – i have yet to see both working at the same time in the past six months – i tried one for first time couple weeks ago – put coins in – as soon as i closed lid – see attendant (which meant dragging some safeway employee from the customer service counter on a busy sunday afternoon…) and oh special surprise – the only way to retrieve coins from a malfunctioning machine? scooping them out by hand as in no ‘emergency’ release to retrieve them without counting AND absolutely no customer service contact or instructions provided besides some useless start feature lame lame lame. i would definitely NOT recommend them and find alternative.