Get $10 Because Eclipse Gum Pretended It Killed Germs

Eclipse gum says it kills germs. A false advertising class action lawsuit begs to differ. Wrigley denies any wrong-doing, but now you can get $10 if you bought any of their chewing gum after June 1 2008.

Making a claim is pretty easy, you can do it online and all you need to do is provide your contact information and the type of gum, date it was purchased, and where you purchased it at.

Seems like it might have been Wrigley’s marketers with the dirty mouths.

Claim $10 in Eclipse Gum Settlement [EclipseSettlement via Top Class Actions]

Comments

1. Grogey says:

Ummm, who keeps receipts longer then say a month on grocery purchases? Heck there lucky to stay on my desk longer then a week.

• Alvis says:

Umm, who said you needed one to get this settlement?

• COBBCITY says:

I agree. I am certain I have purchased Eclipse gum since June 1, 2008 several times. However, who on Earth knows the exact date and location they bought GUM in the last two years. I would think ANYONE except someone with major OCD who keeps every receipt would have to guess.

• lordargent says:

except someone with major OCD

Major OCR actually.

I used to scan in receipts for a project I was messing around with.

1) Build up a decent OCR scanning system (the main goal of the project).

2) Compare product costs between stores (an interesting side project, since we already had the data).

/doesn’t keep small receipts like that anymore

• HannahK says:

This is my go to brand, and it’s really cheap at walmart, so in the rare cases that I find myself in the area of a walmart, I stock up on it. All I had to do was go look in mint for the last 2 times I shopped at walmart.

• jasonq says:

They aren’t asking for the *exact* date, just the month and year.

• Link_Shinigami says:

Exactly, I read that and went “I’ve probably bought some over the past 2 years when I bought gas or something”. Does anyone keep those receipts? I surely don’t, it just pains me to see the price of gas on the receipt, haha

• Ben Popken says:

No receipts are required, just have to say when and where you bought the gum and how much gum you bought.

• gparlett says:

Yes, but without the receipts you’re guessing on the date of purchase, the dollar amount, and the store, I assume that the data from the webform has to be submitted to the court and so in effect I’d be lying on court documents. I’m trying to figure out if $10 is worth lying on court documents and I really don’t think it is.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

To protect their $10, the courts WILL be sending out a $12/hour empoyee to personally go to your residence and ask for the receipt you used to make the claim.

No, wait, how silly of me! They’ll realize nobody keeps receipts that long and instead will think about how you’re going to enjoy that crisp new 10-spot courtesy of Eclipse.

If you didn’t buy the gum, don’t make the claim. And stop being such a whiner.

• tasselhoff76 says:

I did buy the gum but I would prefer not to lie to the court about the exact dates and the exact prices I paid for said gum. Not sure about you, but I rarely retain my gum receipts.

• pf3 says:

I bought the gum but just made up dates, I’m still going to buy the gum and I’m going to get $10, so whatever if I’m guilty of perjury, it’s not like I’m lying about the purchase of the gum, the dates don’t really matter, the point is that I bought the gum, you can hook me up to a FMRI over that one.

• gparlett says:

You also need to digitally sign the Affirmation

“Under penalty of perjury, I affirm that I purchased the listed Wrigley Eclipse gum or mints in packaging with a “NATURAL GERM KILLING” message in the United States. “

If there comes a time that I perjure myself, hopefully it’s for more than $10 worth of gum. The sad part is that I have bought crap tons of this gum over that 2 year period.

• tasselhoff76 says:

Agreed. I don’t have any of my receipts and can’t remember all of those details exactly. As with so many class actions, only the attorneys make any money on the deal.

2. iloveblueberries says:

Was gonna send a claim but the message on the link says that left over money will go to charity and by making a claim, I’m preventing that money to go to charity :(

3. PBallRaven says:

The package says “Natural Germ Killing*” with the asterisk, I wonder what the mouse text said? Must be on the back of the box.

• KishuT says:

i happen to have a pack here, it says:

“Emerging science indicates that the natural ingredient contained within Eclipse helps kill the germs that cause bad breath… with the same great taste you expect from Eclipse”

• HannahK says:

Funny, my pack says “Now Eclipse contains a natural ingredient scientifically proven to help kill the germs that cause bad breath… and tastes great!”

I buy in bulk and keep it in my desk at work, so this pack is probably a year old. Sounds like they tried to tone down the claim before getting sued.

4. Chuck Welch says:

Also, you probably won’t get $10:

“The actual amount a Class Member receives will depend on the amount of money available from the Settlement Fund described below and the number of claims made. …. If the total of valid claims exceeds the amount of money available to pay them, then each award will be reduced pro rata.”

5. Thyme for an edit button says:

I am sure I have bought this gum, but I definitely don’t remember the flavor or date I purchased it.

6. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

I paid $.25 for it once because I had a coupon. I think I will forgo my reimbursement.

7. sufreak says:

No idea what date or where. I loose $10.

8. guroth says:

Does this count for the eclipse brand mints that also claim germ killing power?

Those little mints are delicious!

9. Mr. Pottersquash says:

so they are sending the nation 10 bucks?

10. Elcheecho says:

i couldn’t care less that they lied to me about their germ killing properties. i will, however, buy more gum with my $10.

11. SeattleSeven says:

It only asks for the month and year of purchase, the approximate price you paid and the location (name, city, state)

So… It isn’t hard to remember Ralph’s, Los Angeles, CA

12. Goatweed says:

I buy a package of Spearmint almost every monday morning in the lobby before I go up to my desk. I’ll gladly take $10 on them.

13. Big Mama Pain says:

Darn, I have a thing against gum that pretends to be Chicklets, so I never bought it.

14. dizzy says:

It doesn’t even ask for an exact date, just month and year. My mother buys Eclipse gum in 12 packs at Wal-Mart at least once a month – she always has some in her purse. I emailed her a link to this article and she filled out a claim.

15. JenOne says:

Like some of the other commentators, I know I have purchased way more than $10 worth of Eclipse Gum during that time period. The Eclipse Spearmint is my flavor of choice, and I go through a pack a week, easily. (I never paid attention to the health, I just like the flavor.)

But.. to ask me what month, which store and how much? I haven’t the foggiest. Since I DID in fact purchase it, and way more than $10 worth, I just guessed. I don’t feel bad about that, either.

But.. what I wouldn’t give to have the old-style Wrigely’s Spearmint gum back – the gum they made before the switch 15 or so years ago, maybe late 80′s or early 90′s. I loved the taste without the “Cool mint” aspect of it.

16. TheGhostshark says:

I bought gum, and they gave me a receipt for the gum. I don’t need a receipt for the gum. I’ll just give you the money, and you give me the gum … end of transaction. We don’t need to bring ink and paper into this.

I just can’t imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought gum. Some skeptical friend: don’t even act like I didn’t buy that gum! I got the documentation right here … oh wait, it’s at home, in the file. Under G … for gum.

17. ap0 says:

I buy Eclipse spearmint gum in bulk at Costco every couple weeks. I usually go through a pack a day (it’s a bad habit, I know). I’ll take it as a $10 rebate.