Sign Up For MSN Internet At Best Buy? You Could Get $75

If you signed up for MSN Internet at Best Buy between 1999 and 2004, you could be entitled to up to $75.

A class action lawsuit alleges that customers were offered subscriptions to MSN with free trial periods and those who didn’t cancel before the trial period was over were assessed a monthly fee, even if they never used their MSN account.

The settlement is not yet approved but if it is, you could be eligible to get back any charges on your account that weren’t already refunded, up to a $75 max.

[Internetfreetrialsettlement via TopClassActions]

Comments

1. smo0 says:

AOL… you’re next….

MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Go them!

2. chimpski says:

I think my parents might have! How do you get in on the action? How do I prove anything?

3. penuspenuspenus says:

You are a member of the class covered by the settlement if you (1) were registered for an MSN Internet access account with a free trial period at a Best Buy store between December 1, 1999 and June 30, 2004; (2) never used or logged on to the account; (3) paid charges to Microsoft for the account; and (4) did not receive a full refund of those charges.

Lot of stuff to prove for such a long time ago.

4. milty456 says:

Of course after the lawyers take all of their fees which will mean the pool of money leftover to distribute will amount to 1.33 per person.

5. Taliskan says:

On the Claim Form it says you also must have “never logged on to the account”. Otherwise I fit all the other affirmations, but I do recall logging into the MSN account to see what it was all about. Ah well, $75 would’ve been nice… eventually.

6. wellfleet says:

The MSN antics were legendary. From what I heard from veterans and read on bestbuysucks.com (not defunct), the MSN scam charged hundreds and hundreds of customers for a service they never even activated. When MSN went away, Best Buy introduced magazine subscriptions. Before I worked there, my husband was somehow tricked into signing up for Sports Illustrated. Because he never called to cancel, we got charged for a year’s subscription, $94, which came at a bad time in the monthly cashflow cycle and put us into overdraft. I thought he signed up for something without reading the fine print but…

When I actually started working at Best Buy, I started as a lowly cashier. We were required to get at least five magazine subscriptions per shift. If we didn’t, we’d get spied on to make sure were were offering them to every single customer and overcoming at least one objection. To keep their jobs, some cashiers would:
    1. take the customer’s debit/credit card and swipe it at the computer, then pretend it didn’t work and swipe again at the touchpad. This got the verification swipe.
    2. They would then tell people to sign their names to “verify that the information was correct”. This was a signature on the fine print. Because customers would get distracted, they’d just sign and not read, or trust the cashier…
    3. Outright lie, lie, lie. Lie about automatic billing, lie about the ease of stopping the subscription, lie about the total cost, etc.

I refused to lie or mislead people, and the LP guy narc-ed me out to my supervisor at the time. She called me into the admin office and berated me in front of three other people. There I was, multiple degrees and working as a cashier because I couldn’t find any job in my field and absolutely needed the money, being barked at. Her exact words were “what’s wrong with you that you can’t sell magazines?” I was eventually promoted and we ended up being co-managers at our location. I still think she’s a c***.

Best Buy eventually stopped offering magazine subscriptions because of all the upset customers.

7. mindshadow says:

When I worked at CompUSA there was a big competition for a year or so to get people to sign up for AOL. Basically for every person you got to sign up for AOL you would receive a $5 bonus on your check. One guy in our store was ridiculously good at getting people to sign up for AOL. He was a good guy so I doubt he was deceiving them but I remember one paycheck he got almost $400 in bonuses just from that plus the commission we got for selling the rip-off warranty plan (TAP).

The sales pitch was basically the same for us: It’s free, you get a discount (or something, I forget) on this purchase, and you can cancel it as soon as you walk out the door. And don’t get me started on selling the AOL for broadband (“Hi, would you like to pay an extra $10/mo on top of your cable/dsl bill just to use AOL’s shitty features?).

I suppose you can’t sue a defunct company though.

8. Juhgail says:

I worked for BBY during those years.

We were encouraged to sign people up without their knowing, then scanning the internet offer, then telling them to swipe their credit card for “verification”. They were NEVER told we were signing them up for internet without permission.

I NEVER did it and got in big troubble. But the managers bonus was based on how many “D-Subs” or “digital subscriptions” the department and store did.

So these people sure are entitled to get the money.

9. lukesdad says:

Oh my, this brings back memories. Radio Shack did the same thing at around the same time when I worked there. The way it worked for us was people had to sign up for 1, 2 or 3 year contracts with MSN. The longer the contract, the larger the discount. I think the 3 year was a couple hundred bucks off your purchase.

Man, some salespeople were great at making that sound like a fantastic deal and helping you forget about the fact that you had to then pay Microsoft $25 a month for three years — for dial up service!

We also gave something like 10% anything when folks signed up for Sprint long distance service on their landline. I can’t count the number of college kids who signed up for that service on their phone, their parents’ phone, neighbors’ phone, etc.

10. framitz says:

I saw the inside of a Best Buy for the last time yesterday.

They ripped me off for the last time when they refused to take back a defective $20.00 item the day after I purchased it.

Best Buy is _dead_ to me and it is GOOD.

• Fallom says:

Even Walmart, masters of LP, take back defective items with little explanation. What were you taking back?