CVS Stores To Get Redbox Kiosks

In an attempt to spread their retail footprint even further, Redbox has made a deal with pharmacy chain CVS to begin rolling out their video rental kiosks at stores across the country.

Between now and the end of the year, Redbox hopes to have kiosks in 700 of the 7,000+ CVS stores. More will be added in 2011.

While 700 kiosks isn’t a huge number compared to Redbox’s existing 23,000 kiosks, the CVS partnership gives the company significant room for expansion. CVS, the country’s second-largest pharmacy chain, is also hoping it will give customers a reason to visit their store — pick up a DVD and do some shopping while you’re there.

Is this a good partnership for both companies?

CVS customers can add Redbox’s $1-a-night DVDs to the shopping list [USA Today]

Comments

1. TVGenius says:

Goody. That will make 7 of them on one corner here.

2. c!tizen says:

am I the only one here that sees “CVS” and thinks “out dated version control”?

3. Engine-B says:

This seems like an excellent partnership, from a business perspective, for both companies.

4. Floppywesl says:

It is a shame Redbox/Netflix have that 28 day wait.I had to stop using both of them and sell my soul to the Blockbuster $1 kiosk.Blockbuster also figured out if the release movies for 1$ the same day as the stores they dont make more than 1$ so now they have a 1-2 week buffer between releases.Its like they really want people to DL these movies instead of renting them legally.

5. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Instead of Blu-Ray added to the mix, I’d love to see a few copies of the latest video game release (maybe $3 a day).

• Keith is checking the Best Buy receipt of a breastfeeding mother (for tips!) says:

Redboxen here in Austin already have some videogames in them, $2/day I believe. Maybe it’s a pilot and they’ll roll it out in your area soon!

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Very cool, I did not know that. That is much more reasonable than renting a game at Blockbuster for $8, and I don’t rent games often enough to sign up for Gamefly.

6. RandomHookup says:

Good, since there are a couple of days a year when the grocery stores are closed by law. It’s nice to have a cheap movie to watch the night before Thanksgiving and then return the next day.

7. EarlNowak says:

Makes sense. There’s a redbox at my local Winn-Dixie, but the CVS is about half a mile closer.

8. hypochondriac says:

I hope the CVS near me gets one. I don’t have a redbox anywhere near me

9. gabrewer says:

Perhaps I’m just becoming a grumpy old man, but it annoys me how people totally block the walkway waiting in line at these things at the Kroger and Walgreens we use. I wish retailers would require that they be placed in such a way so as not to be nuisance to other customers.

10. DanRydell says:

They need to get these things into 7-Elevens. 7-Eleven has been trying to get into the movie business off and on for years, and it’s a store that many people go to every day. Much more suitable for video rentals than grocery stores and drug stores.

Unfortunately interior space is usually much more limited at convenience stores.

11. Jnetty says:

I already have four 7-Eleven in my town and have four CVS’s in my town, that would be 8 redbox… nice.

12. jeff_the_snake says:

Great one more place where the exits will be blocked by people staring blankly at the big confusing box

13. mbz32190 says:

Meh…It’s been years since I’ve shopped in a CVS, so that isn’t going to give me any motivation to go there (especially since the grocery store I frequently visit is adjacent to a CVS, and already has a Redbox).

14. wadewood says:

My CVS (Humble, TX suburb of Houston) has a Redbox for 3-4 months. Maybe this was a trial area.

15. humphrmi says:

As many others said here… meh. Bunch of Redboxes near me anyway, CVS will just be one more. Hope they don’t overdo the growth thing like Blockbuster, and go Tango Uniform.

16. JayPhat says:

LOL, this is news to me. Apparently I didn’t get this memo.

17. Bryan Price says:

Great! Now I can have my choice of getting my Rebox fix from my WInn-Dixie or my CVS! Both in the same strip mall! 100 feet apart!

18. soj4life says:

So will cvs stop selling dvds then? kind of pointless to sell $30 movies when you can rent them for a $1 at the same location.

19. Max5695 says:

In California, CVS bought the Longs Drugs chain. Longs Drugs has had Redbox kiosks for years. CVS kept them, so many CVS stores in California already have them. The 7-Eleven stores in my area received Redbox machines several months ago. My friend in Oregon says 7-Eleven stores in that state also have received Redbox machines.

Right now, Blockbuster Express kiosks are starting to show up at Rite Aid stores and Dollar Tree stores in the San Francisco Bay Area.

20. brio says:

Weird. We already had Redbox at our CVS stores. Then they got removed. However, they were there last year and early this year and then all the sudden gone. Whatever. In DFW we have them at grocery stores, walmart, gas stations & mcdonalds.

21. RogerX says:

CVS is overpriced.

22. qwill says:

We already have redboxes at the grocery store, 7-11, and Walgreens by us. CVS will just be another choice. The parking at 7-11 and Walgreens is usually better than the grocery store so I usually opt for those redboxes. I would like some blockbuster kiosks but haven’t seen those in our area yet.